PDA

View Full Version : Holy ****. Computerised knitting accessory.

redwitch
05-28-2007, 08:59 AM
http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/006526.php

Seriously? I'm still not certain this isn't a joke. I wonder how much they cost? Couldn't this technology be used for something a bit more... helpful? Like people who sign but can't speak, wearing a glove or a couple of rings containing these sensors which translate signing into words, for people who don't understand sign to read from a computer screen, or the talking computers, you know they can pronounce text? Could speak for you. Or even more useful applications. Who buys these?
And most importantly... what are the tips like and do they come in circular versions!
Sarah

Eloewien
05-28-2007, 09:23 AM
These were on cnn.com about a year ago... so they're real :)

Nobones
05-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow! I think they are great. Bet they are pricey though.

MamaMer
05-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Apparently,she invented it bcs it was a design assignment for one of her college classes. They aren't commercially available yet. But I hope they are in the future, I would buy one, I am always losing count!!:thumbsup:

cathoo
05-28-2007, 10:37 PM
I would totally make those as a final project!
These kinds of things are great, because it's a scenario that won't hurt anyone (unless you count pulling your hair out because of counting stitches!) and then you can use the now-proven technology somewhere else (like your idea about turning signing into text). You have to start small, one stitch at a time :mrgreen:

Braden
05-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Cool! I would buy them when they came out. If they came in circs, I might use them full time. Well, maybe not but I would use them. Thanks for that link.

misstialouise
05-29-2007, 03:10 AM
TBH I am so in love with my KPO's I doubt I'd ever use them... uber clever or not.. :S

mwedzi
05-29-2007, 08:53 AM
http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/006526.php

Couldn't this technology be used for something a bit more... helpful? Like people who sign but can't speak, wearing a glove or a couple of rings containing these sensors which translate signing into words, for people who don't understand sign to read from a computer screen, or the talking computers, you know they can pronounce text? Could speak for you. Or even more useful applications.
Sarah

I'm pretty sure such technology has been in the works for the deaf for a while, before the knitting needles were thought of. The structure of language, though, is a lot more complicated than knitting, as I realized when I had a Korean page automatically translated to English, with hilarious results! In addition to the very different grammar between, say, ASL and English, I think it must be quite complicated to get the spatial plane right, as it will vary by speaker as well.