PDA

View Full Version : Severe casting on problems

enthusiastic novice
05-28-2007, 09:26 PM
It's not the actual casting on, that is fine, I usually use my thumb but can do long-tail and various 'knit on' methods too. It's when I come to knit the first row, it either comes out in a wide triangular wedge or great big frilly loops :cry: I know I had this problem once before and sorted it out but I can't remember how and it's driving me SO crazy I am here at 2:25am desperate for help!

Hope somebody knows what I'm doing wrong!

Many thanks

Donna

mwedzi
05-28-2007, 09:46 PM
You are having this problem with long tail method, too?

Jeremy
05-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Donna. Is there any possibility that you can post a picture of what you mean. If the number of stitches are growing, thats a common problem that we even have a sticky for here
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=32886

If the number of stitches are the same then your problem might be with tension. If the tension is not the same the length of your rows and how your stitches look are going to be all over the place. Have a look at how Amy controls tension in the knitting video. Don't give up. We were all there at one time or another.

enthusiastic novice
05-28-2007, 09:58 PM
:cry: every method is going wrong tonight, when I first cast on they look lovely but as soon as I knit it goes horribly wrong. Am using 4.5mm needles with double-knit wool which am used to using, possibly with chunkier wool/needles it wouldn't show so much. Making a pencil case which only needs 5 stitches to start off with!

The sensible thing would be to go to sleep and or ask a friend/daughter/neighbour to cast on for me in the morning. Do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong? :think:

enthusiastic novice
05-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks, I could try taking a pic and uploading it tomorrow - it's 3am here now and even I recognise that I'm becoming a bit obsessed. I also feel really STOOPID because I just can't figure out what is wrong?

Jeremy
05-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey been there done that.:hug:
It will look better in the am. (that is later in the am)

Braden
05-28-2007, 10:06 PM
If it helps, I'm sure some of us could post pictures of how we tension our yarn. I know I can.

Braden
05-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Here's mine! Note that I'm a continental knitter, and I hold my yarn in my left hand. You can still use that hold in you right hand.

That's not the only yarn hold out there, by a long shot. Each and every knitter has a different way they tension their yarn. Do whatever is most comfortable for you, my photos are just springboards for you.

enthusiastic novice
05-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Thanks, I think it was partly a tension problem and partly not casting on properly in the first place :oops: - the actual knitting was fine, it was just that edge, that bit I cast on. My daughter's friend cast on for me today in a way I have never seen before! I'm going to have to get to grips with it, although I have been known to dash across the street and get my neighbour to help with that :oops:. I just desperately had to get the pencil case started, because it's got a simple strip of cable and that is my New Thing!

I'll try taking some pics with my mobile telephone later, if I'm brave enough and you're all still kind enough to try and help. It only seems to show with small needles and dk wool. I really really appreciate your help last night, at least I got some sleep thinking 'there is hope'!

:heart:

Braden
05-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Yes, we're always here to help!

debinoz
05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
It could also have been that you cast on too losely? OR you left too big a gap between stitches at cast on? I do that sometimes and have a loopey edge.

Just a thought...:shrug:

Jeremy
05-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Keep trying,you'll get it. Maybe you should try the backward loop method until things settle down. We're here for you.:thumbsup:

enthusiastic novice
05-30-2007, 06:39 AM
:thumbsup: thanks everyone!

janick
05-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Are you remembering to put your needle behind the stitch when casting on and not THROUGH the stitch, try and make your casting on tighter, also might be an idea to use smaller needles to cast on and then change to proper size x:hug::hug::hug:

redwitch
05-30-2007, 08:44 AM
Before you get more worried about this, go to bed, and when you wake up tomorrow, check out the videos on this site for casting on. Since you say you already know how to knit, I'd say try the knitted cast-on, it should be the easiest for you to follow. Cast on say 4 stitches, knit say 5 rows, after each row check that you have the same number of stitches. I suspect you may be using the backwards loop caston which many people find difficult to knit from evenly and is difficult to tension. I personally never use it except sometimes for lace when I want a very 'weak' cast-on. It's easy to create but difficult to knit from and could flare out/become loose in the way you are describing.

it sounds like you know the knitted cast-on, though... Maybe try casting on 4 stitches longtail/double, same thing 'knitted cast-on', start with 4 stitches, try to knit a row, and you should end up with 4 new stitches. See if this works for you, if so does one way work better? Let us know how you go, we'll all be happy to help.

For the vids see the 'tabs' at the top of the page that look like cardboard tabs for folder subdivisions.
Sarah

suzeeq
05-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Or taking Sarah's suggestion even further... Cast on 4 or 5 with the longtail CO, then with the same yarn, continue and CO the same amount using knitted CO, then the same amount with cable CO. Knit this for several rows or a couple inches and compare how they all look.

sue