PDA

View Full Version : Best Needles for cotton knitting

mornnen
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Hi Everybody-

I am thinking of knitting a few washclothes for my neighbor, who cat-sits for me when I go out of town. I haven't knit any since about a year ago, but I remember hating knitting with cotton. My hands ached and felt cramped. :pout:
I think I read somewhere (or perhaps made it up in my head:rollseyes:) that different needles are 'better' for different types of yarn. I know last year I used metal ones. Can anyone suggest 'better' needles?

Thanks!

Julie

debinoz
05-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Wood or bamboo seems, imo, to be the best to work cotton. Metal seems too slick and I spent most of my time trying to keep the sts on the needles.

marykz
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
my favorite pair for washcloths is resin (Bryspuns, I think?) slick enough, but not totally slippery. and more pointy than my babmoo ones.

aineepooh1
05-29-2007, 02:18 PM
I tried my Denises and they didn't slide real well.. so I used metal ( which I normally DON"T like) and they worked really well for me..
Why not knit up a swatch with 2/3 different types of needles and see what's most comfortable?:think:

mornnen
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I tried my Denises and they didn't slide real well.. so I used metal ( which I normally DON"T like) and they worked really well for me..
Why not knit up a swatch with 2/3 different types of needles and see what's most comfortable?:think:
I just ordered a pair of bamboo needles today-- The only kind I have are metal and denise. But I'll swatch with my denises and see what I think. And my metal ones too. Who knows, maybe my knitting tension has changed since I first started?

orcoastknitter
05-29-2007, 06:19 PM
my favorite pair for washcloths is resin (Bryspuns, I think?) slick enough, but not totally slippery. and more pointy than my babmoo ones.

I use Bryspuns too! I like the pointy tip as well. I believe they work with the warmth your hands so they have a little more flexibility.

carmabelle1191
05-29-2007, 08:34 PM
I use my Options and the cotton seems to slide better than on bamboo. Keep in mind I am a tight knitter though.

midnightskyfibers
05-29-2007, 08:45 PM
I prefer wood needles for most projects, helps with the hand cramping, especially with cotton, linen, and other fibers without much stretch. However, metal may help to just get the stitches "flowing" along as you knit since they tend to come off faster on metal.

KnitClickChick
05-29-2007, 09:11 PM
I like my metal needles for cotton, because I generally knit pretty quickly and the metal lets the cotton slide well. I don't care for the drag cotton seems to have on bamboo. Avoid acrylic needles at all costs -- they are awful for cotton, imho.

knottyknitter
05-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Since receiving my options I use them for every project. I am knitting a pair of shorts with cotton and it slides very nicely.