PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Yarn

KnitClickChick
05-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I was on a little mini vacation this weekend, and stopped at a buffalo farm where they had a nice little gift shop. Imagine my surprise when I saw yarn made from buffalo!! It was pretty soft - just lightly scratchy. It felt a lot like wool. However -- it was $48!! I decided not to get it, I thought that was a bit high, and the skeins weren't very big, only about 100 yards or so. I have since looked around on the net and apparently this is the going price. Now I am wishing I had gotten some. Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone has made anything with buffalo yarn. Does it knit up nicely? Does it feel good against your skin? Is it worth the $48?

CarmenIbanez
05-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Nice spun buffalo should be pretty soft.

LoAnnie
05-30-2007, 05:05 PM
I thought they had to kill the buffalo to make buffalo yarn?:(??...Well, I guess if the animal is going to be used for meat anyway, then it's not so bad. I just hate thinking that something had to die for me to make my sweater. And I'm definitely not a vegan, vegitarian, etc.

My $0.02.

LoAnnie

BostonBecca
05-30-2007, 05:09 PM
I saw buffalo yarn at the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival. It was very soft but pricey, as the yarn you saw. I wonder if someone in a western state could get the hair from a buffalo meat producer for less and spin it themselves. It might be worth it then, but I am not spending close to 50! on any one skein of yarn ever.

Knitting_Guy
05-30-2007, 05:16 PM
No they don't kill them to get the yarn. Buffalo shed heavily. All they have to do is go around and gather up what they have shed.

LoAnnie
05-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for setting me straight, Mason.

Lighting57
05-30-2007, 05:43 PM
If you do a search for buffalo yarn, you should come up with a few good links. It is called quivet or quivat. Not sure of the spelling.

Knitting_Guy
05-30-2007, 05:59 PM
No problem. The only reason I knew that was I caught a television show about buffalo yarn recently.

syndactylus
05-30-2007, 10:54 PM
The musk oxen they kill though - the ones they get qiviut from.
The big seller anyway.
I saw it in vogue.
And their ad asks if you've "hugged" one today. (wanna hug a dead ox? :pout:)

Debbie
05-31-2007, 03:55 AM
They don't kill the musk ox for qiviut ..

"The animals shed during the spring and by combing and gently pulling the fiber that hangs like great powder puffs of the "golden fleece of the Arctic" it is harvested on the Musk Ox Farm in Palmer. An adult animal sheds between four and six pounds a year, which when packed down will fill a kitchen size garbage bag. The hand combed qiviut from the farm is cleaner and softer than the underwool shed in the wild since the loose fiber is not subjected to the harshness of wind and weather, but stored and protected."