PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Knit-Along

Pages : 1 [2] 3

heather_dw
07-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm about to order charmed knits. I would like to order the right circs to make the regular striped scarf. Will I need 16 inch size 8 circs? What does the book call for?

I want to be sure before I submit my order. I won't have these done for the book/movie but I will be toasty this winter ..lol

thanks~:muah:

jillliv
07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
do you have to be knitting for the cause to join this KAL?I'm knitting for my usual charity (operation Christmas Child) using yarns out of my stash and patterns from my collection...just (borrowing) colours from the movie/series/books:think:

CateKnits
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Nice, UnspeakableJoy! :cheering:
The move was pretty awesome. It was nice and quickly paced, too.
I'll post a picture of my scarves once the movie color one is longer than 2 repeats. :oops: I didn't make the first one as long as the pattern called for, but I think I'm going to try with this one. I also think I'm going to need more yarn. :oops:

UnspeakableJoy
07-11-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm about to order charmed knits. I would like to order the right circs to make the regular striped scarf. Will I need 16 inch size 8 circs? What does the book call for?thanks~:muah:

Yes, I used US8 size 16 circulars. I think. :?? LOL

do you have to be knitting for the cause to join this KAL?I'm knitting for my usual charity (operation Christmas Child) using yarns out of my stash and patterns from my collection...just (borrowing) colours from the movie/series/books:think:

Not at all, Jilliv! We'd love to have you join us!

I'll post a picture of my scarves once the movie color one is longer than 2 repeats. :oops: I didn't make the first one as long as the pattern called for, but I think I'm going to try with this one. I also think I'm going to need more yarn. :oops:

No worries Cate - post photos when you can, I can't wait to see it! What house are you knitting?

UnspeakableJoy: I'm just so proud of you for finishing that scarf in time! Both of the scarves look AWESOME and I'm glad you enjoyed the movie!!! It'll be too crowded to go see it here for about a week, so I guess I'll have to wait. :pout: But it sounds like it'll be worth it! Woohoo! :happydancing:

Thanks!! And don't worry - the movie is worth the wait!

CateKnits
07-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm making Ravenclaw. The friend I went to the movie with wants one in Gryffindor. I told her no way, as I pointed out I'd only done about 1/14 of my own in the hour we were in line. I did tell her I'd teach her how to make her own, though, since it's just knit stitches all around. :cheering:

jillliv
07-11-2007, 11:22 AM
count me in!:happydancing:

knitknut
07-11-2007, 12:33 PM
:cheering::cheering: Saw the movie last night! So awesome. If any of you have a chance it see it in IMAX - DO IT. About 20 minutes of it was in 3-D. WOW!!! That is all I'm saying. I agree we do need a non-non-spoiler place to talk about it.

Mariblue - Great idea on the floo powder. I just happen to have some spare ashes in the fireplace that I can use.

Shandeh - Come on over!! You've always wanted to see the Alamo, right?

Heather_dw - I used size 7 16 inch circulars for my scarf. 100 stitches around. I think the pattern calls for 90.

Shandeh
07-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Shandeh: It's kind of understandable why you're still in the same place on that Gryffindor scarf -- look at all the stuff on your needles!!! You're like the amazing knitting woman or something!!!
I think I'm more like "the amazing knitting ADDICT!" :teehee:

do you have to be knitting for the cause to join this KAL?
Yes....'cause you want something "Harry Potterish" in your possession. :roflhard:

Shandeh - Come on over!! You've always wanted to see the Alamo, right?
Woo Hoo! I'm packing right now! :wink:

heather_dw
07-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Awesome, I ordered the book, plus size 7 and 8 16 inch circulars from knitpicks. I can't wait until they come!

I'll bet those scarves are so toasty and warm
:heart:

UnspeakableJoy
07-11-2007, 03:03 PM
So, after my HP PoA scarf knitting marathon, I let my poor hands rest a mere 16 hours and have started my Dark Mark Illusion scarf. I'm on Row 10 of Chart 1, and have learned several things ...

1. I'm a painfully slow purl knitter.
2. My 1st rows after casting on are horribly fugly. :hair:

I frogged the scarf twice (the first because I hated the first knitted row, the second because I mysteriously had 34 stitches by row 21 - you're supposed to have only 31 :teehee:), but my third attempt is going well. My first knitted row is still fugly, but I'll hide it with the fringe :rollseyes: only my HP KAL friends will know my secret :teehee: Other than that, I'm enjoying knitting this scarf, the pattern is very easy to read, and it knits up really quickly!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/IMG_2294.jpg

I'm using Caron's Simply Soft in Black and Caron's Simply Soft Brites in fluorescent green, and US7 needles. Despite having just 2.5 hours of sleep this morning because of the midnite movie, I can't wait to get home and knit. :woohoo:

gamerchik
07-11-2007, 04:29 PM
heather_dw: Welcome to the group! I haven't picked up Charmed Knits yet, but I'm doing a Gryffindor scarf from the atypically.net pattern, and mine is size 8 circs, 70 stitches. I know that information is probably useless to you, but I thought I would pipe up.:lol: Anyway, it's good to have you! :hug:

Shandeh: You are adorable, lol. :blooby:

Jillliv: Welcome to you also!!! It's awesome that you're doing charity knitting w/HP colors. :thumbsup:

Lady Violet: How is the reading going??? :waving: I hope all's well!

CateKnits: There you go...just teach her to knit. That's what I would do! My DH is going to start his first project this week (I already taught him the basics) and he said he is mostly inspired by seeing the cool HP stuff that can be made. :rofling: Well...whatever gets them knitting! :happydancing:

knitknut: Your house just looks SO cool!

UnspeakableJoy: Well, if you thought YOUR first try at the DM scarf came out fugly, go back a few pages and look at the pic of my first try! I frogged that one too and started over with new yarn. :lol: It gets a little wonky going back and forth w/the knitting and purling and the combinations of both, don't you think?!!! I'm using the same Simply Soft colors...we match! :muah:

CateKnits
07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
UnspeakableJoy, I was always disappointed by my first row until I started using the long-tail cast on for everything. It makes the first knit row while you're casting on, so it's nice and neat. I think Amy has a video for it.

I'm finding this scarf is the perfect thing to knit while playing World of Warcraft. :teehee: I'm not sure which is nerdier - knitting from Harry Potter or knitting while WoWing. :thinking:

UnspeakableJoy
07-11-2007, 07:30 PM
UnspeakableJoy, I was always disappointed by my first row until I started using the long-tail cast on for everything. It makes the first knit row while you're casting on, so it's nice and neat. I think Amy has a video for it.

I'm finding this scarf is the perfect thing to knit while playing World of Warcraft. :teehee: I'm not sure which is nerdier - knitting from Harry Potter or knitting while WoWing. :thinking:

Thanks Cate - I was just checking out Amy's casting on videos and was thinking I should try the long-tail cast on. Great minds think alike!!

Don't feel nerdy - I brought my HP PoA scarf to knit to the Transformers movie and came away thinking I need to knit something with the Autobot logo on it. :wink:

UnspeakableJoy
07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
The Dark Mark truly is a bad bad bad thing ... I've now frogged my scarf 3 times. :doh: But I think I finally have it all figured out. What else could go wrong? :shrug:

I need to start working on my Patronus ... :teehee:

heather_dw
07-11-2007, 08:48 PM
The long tail cast on was the only one I knew for ages.. I like it but I have trouble with gauging the length of yarn I need. I usually either end up with too little yarn for the number of stitches I need to cast or a super long leftover.

PCwombat
07-11-2007, 11:14 PM
First, if you didn't see it, I started a thread WITH spoilers in the OT forum.

Also, I started the Dark Mark bag, and I've decided that intarsia is such a pain. Especially because I have to figure when I should start a new piece of yarn for a new section, even if it's still the same main shape. But, I'm forging along and I have like 14 rows done. Some sections are a bit...off...but, it's unique!

And, I really don't think I'm a yarn snob, but Red Heart SS is some horrible stuff. I've heard it gets softer after being washed and I sincerely hope that's true, cause otherwise it has no redeeming qualities. Thank god I'm just making a bag and don't have to worry about softness.

Orangeus
07-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Hey Heather, I had the same trouble you did with Long Tail (I shudder just at the memory of how many times I tried to cast on, like 200 sts)

What I picked up from other's suggestions though, is cast on, say ten stitches, and then use the amount of yarn those ten stitches require, and then work that out .

One thing about that though, is you have to remember not to measure the bit of yarn used from end to end, but from end to the slip knot of the first stitch. (I forget this more often than not, hahah)

Lady Violet
07-11-2007, 11:31 PM
for a while i thought i really hated acrylic. then i used some that wasn't red heart ss and i realized i just hate the red heart ss! i will NEVER buy that stuff again. :ick: it just feels terrible in your fingers to knit with. it may soften up after you wash it, but by then it's too late anyway. i don't think i've ever finished anything with red heart. if it's not too late, you may want to try caron simply soft. it's about the same price for about the same # of yards, but it's MUCH softer and really nice to work with.

PCwombat
07-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Yeah, I love Caron Simply Soft. I was actually debating between that and the Red Heart in the store. I chose the RH because the green is perfect. The intarsia bit is having me go slow enough that the scratchiness isn't too bad. And the stiffness of it makes a pretty good fabric for a bag.

IBAmyB
07-12-2007, 01:25 AM
I came here to post that I am starting the Dark Mark illusion scarf and the last several posts are exactly about that! :thumbsup:

Oddly enough while I was buying my yarn for it tonight I was debating about buying the Red Heart SS since the colors my Wal-Mart has are limited and the Red Heart they do have is a better match than the Caron.. but I decided that I like the feel of the Caron much better and got that! Too funny! :lol:

(Plus the only cast-on I know how to do is long-tail! That's the one that DH's grandmother taught me!)

Mariblue
07-12-2007, 01:44 AM
The long tail cast on was the only one I knew for ages.. I like it but I have trouble with gauging the length of yarn I need. I usually either end up with too little yarn for the number of stitches I need to cast or a super long leftover.
A trick I've learned for the long tail cast on is to use two seperate skeins of yarn for it. Take both ends, and treat them like they are coming from the same skein, but you'll always have just the right amount of yarn you need for however many stitches you have to cast on. When you've cast on all you need, you can cut the extra yarn, and you never have to worry about not having allowed enough for the long tail.
Does that make sense? I hope so. I'm kinda tired right now. :teehee:

Shandeh
07-12-2007, 03:06 AM
Shandeh: You are adorable, lol. :blooby:

Gamerchik said I'm adorable! :aww:

gamerchik
07-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Hi everyone! I'm posting a couple of pics of my Gryffindor Scarf WIP. I just started last Thursday and have been knitting A LOT...these things take forever! Round and round we go! :lol: :knitting: :lol: The original picture looks much better, but I had to resize it in order to post it. Also, I put a pen next to the scarf in one pic so you would have some sense of scale.

CateKnits: The nerdier you are, the better, at least in my opinion! :lol: :muah: :lol:

UnspeakableJoy: The long-tail cast on is the only one I even know how to do! :lol:

Lady Violet: I'm sooo right there with you about the Red Heart SS. I wouldn't say I'm a yarn snob or anything, but that stuff just feels so nasty and scratchy on my fingers. Caron SS is the way to go if you want a cheap acrylic, for sure!!!

IBAmyB: You, UnspeakableJoy and I are all using Caron SS for the Dark Mark illusion scarf! WOOHOO! Mine is going...um...slowly...since I haven't touched it in a couple of days (I'm obsessed with the Gryffindor scarf, lol).

Shandeh: Even THAT was adorable! LOL! :hug::hug::hug:

UnspeakableJoy
07-12-2007, 05:42 PM
:waah: I have to knit another HP house scarf ... someone asked me to make them one in time for a book release party next Friday. He's paying me $30 (not including yarn), so I guess it's okay.

I'm just sad because it means I have to put down my Dark Mark scarf!! But maybe that's a good thing ... I frogged it AGAIN last night (4th time) ... somehow I dropped a stitch and I couldn't figure out if it was a purl on a knitted row or a knit on a purled row :wall: so I just frogged it and started over again. But frogging it so many times has made me a pro at long-tail casting!!! I LOVE IT!! It looks sooooo purdy!! And instead of being a painfully slow purl-er, I've advanced to being a slow purl-er :teehee:

Gamerchik - your scarf looks LOVELY! What yarn are you using?

I too dislike Red Heart SS. It IS really rough and itchy!

CateKnits
07-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow, another one in so little time?! You're far more dedicated than I! :teehee: I've had to put mine on hold so I can knit a secret present for Andrea, since I'm invading her house next week.
Here's where I've stopped for now, at the end of my first ball of blue.
http://www.doublepointed.net/images/ravenclaw.jpg

IBAmyB
07-12-2007, 09:49 PM
WooHoo! My Charmed Knits book arrived today!

Also, I started my Dark Mark Illusion scarf today. I :heart: Caron Simply Soft yarn! It's so.... well, soft! :teehee:

Here are my WIP pics:

Lady Violet
07-12-2007, 09:55 PM
that's looking great! and you can already tell it's working! :cheering:

UnspeakableJoy
07-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Cate and Amy, they're looking GREAT!!!

I haven't found out what house scarf I need to knit, so I worked a bit on my Dark Mark scarf. I'm on Row 25 of Chart 1. It's looking SO much better!!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/Harry%20Potter%20Knits/IMG_2297.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/Harry%20Potter%20Knits/IMG_2299.jpg

CateKnits
07-12-2007, 10:27 PM
That illusion thing is so cool! :cheering:

IBAmyB
07-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Cate and Amy, they're looking GREAT!!!

You jinxed me! As soon as I posted my pic I started to knit, and realized I had one to many stitches... and I started to frog it only to drop and stitch and had to unravel the whole thing!

Sound familiar???? :ick:

gamerchik
07-13-2007, 04:33 AM
UnspeakableJoy: Thanks for the compliment! I'm very happy with the way it's turning out. :cheering: I'm using Plymouth Encore yarn. :) Oh, and your Dark Mark scarf looks great! WOOHOO!!!

CateKnits: Yours looks so pretty!!! I really do love those colors.

IBAmyB: Awesome job on your Dark Mark scarf as well!!!

I went to see the movie tonight and I worked on my Gryffindor scarf while we were waiting for the movie to start. It was the first time I ever KIP! LOL! :happydancing::happydancing::happydancing:

UnspeakableJoy
07-13-2007, 07:11 AM
You jinxed me! As soon as I posted my pic I started to knit, and realized I had one to many stitches... and I started to frog it only to drop and stitch and had to unravel the whole thing! Sound familiar???? :ick:

I'm sorry Amy!! I tell you there's something just not right about the Dark Mark Scarf! I had to frog 2 rows last night, but did it one stitch at a time so I could pick up back where it looked goofy.

UnspeakableJoy: Thanks for the compliment! I'm very happy with the way it's turning out. :cheering: I'm using Plymouth Encore yarn. :) Oh, and your Dark Mark scarf looks great! WOOHOO!!! I went to see the movie tonight and I worked on my Gryffindor scarf while we were waiting for the movie to start. It was the first time I ever KIP! LOL! :happydancing::happydancing::happydancing:

Gamerchik - you're welcome! And thanks! Ooooh, you're in for it now (with KIP!) :teehee:

OT - we had to run into Walgreen's to get something last night, and the kids gravitated towards the candy aisle as they usually do (with me in tow of course) and I saw some HP Blood Pops so I pointed it out to my kids and my girl goes "Bloody Hell!" :roflhard: But it wasn't just a normal "Bloody Hell!" but Ron's "Bloody Hell!" with the lower voice and British accent :roflhard: I started laughing so hard it was just too cute!! I knew immediately she was imitating Ron, and while I was laughing, she goes, "But Momma that's what Ron always says!"

Lady Violet
07-13-2007, 09:20 AM
:chair: :roflhard: :chair:

Mariblue
07-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Everyones scarves are looking so great! I've finished my gryffindor socks! I'll post pictures later today or tomorrow. And, I'm so excited they're done, because I get to go and see the movie today! I thought I'd have to wait weeks to go, but I get to go today! Yeah!
Next I'll knit some pink socks for my daughter (who's four, so it'll be a fast knit), and then I'm doing slytherin socks. I want to knit socks for all four houses, and then do a few scarves (dark mark scarf, here I come!)

UnspeakableJoy
07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
I've finished my gryffindor socks! I'll post pictures later today or tomorrow.

Ooooo, I can't wait to see them!! I think my first pair of socks will be the Fawkes socks!! Hey, that rhymes!! :teehee:

IBAmyB
07-13-2007, 11:06 AM
I saw some HP Blood Pops so I pointed it out to my kids and my girl goes "Bloody Hell!" But it wasn't just a normal "Bloody Hell!" but Ron's "Bloody Hell!" with the lower voice and British accent.

Too cute! (No I am going to have Ron's "Bloody Hell" stuck in my head all day!

heather_dw
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm so aggravated right now. I cannot find the yarn for this project.
Hubby wants a ravenclaw (book) house scarf and I want a hufflepuff scarf.

The black is easy, as I can get that anywhere but I've spent a good amount of time looking on the internet without success.

I tried looking for Encore and for Utopia. I'm considering just getting wool yarn from knitpicks and just eyeballing to pick the closest colors.

UnspeakableJoy
07-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm so aggravated right now. I cannot find the yarn for this project.
Hubby wants a ravenclaw (book) house scarf and I want a hufflepuff scarf.

The black is easy, as I can get that anywhere but I've spent a good amount of time looking on the internet without success.

I tried looking for Encore and for Utopia. I'm considering just getting wool yarn from knitpicks and just eyeballing to pick the closest colors.

Check these sites out ...

http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=Retailers.main

http://www.fibershop.com/yarns/plymouth/encore1.shtml

http://www.nakedsheep.com/encoreyarn.html

I know the exact colors are listed at www.atypically.net ... hope that helps!

heather_dw
07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the links. Not one of them has both colors I need. Argh, why does hubby insist on getting the book version of ravenclaw colors..:rollseyes:

UnspeakableJoy
07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the links. Not one of them has both colors I need. Argh, why does hubby insist on getting the book version of ravenclaw colors..:rollseyes:

Rats!! I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

heather_dw
07-13-2007, 01:57 PM
No worries. I just may have to venture out of the "recommended yarns"

Knitpicks has some machine washable wool yarn that appears to be close in color. I'll try that, I think

Duckling326
07-13-2007, 03:34 PM
OHh love the illusion knitting!!

I ordered Charmed Knits from Overstock.com this morning!!! Can't wait!!!

CateKnits
07-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Heather, I gave up on book Ravenclaw colors because I couldn't find a good "bronze" in any yarn. :roll: I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, though. :teehee:

Lady Violet
07-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Ooooo, I can't wait to see them!! I think my first pair of socks will be the Fawkes socks!! Hey, that rhymes!! :teehee:

have you tried to find the sunshine's yarn superwash merino that they used for the fawkes sample in the pattern? i can't find it anywhere (online). :shrug:

Mariblue
07-13-2007, 08:33 PM
My Gryffindor socks! They enjoyed the movie immensely!:teehee:

Shandeh
07-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Love 'em, Mariblue! :inlove:

PCwombat
07-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Mariblue, those are so cute!

Duckling326
07-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I want to make those socks with I think it's Frog Tree wool/alpaca can't wait!!

gamerchik
07-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Mariblue, those socks ROCK! They inspire me to try making socks again...first time was an exercise in frustration and I frogged the whole thing and moved on to projects that use needles that aren't tiny. :lol:

How long did they take you? What pattern did you use? What kind of needles? What kind of yarn?

Hi to everyone else!!! I'm sooo tired right now, but it's hot in my bedroom so I wandered out here to check on you guys. :hug:

UnspeakableJoy
07-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Lady Violet - I haven't searched for the yarn yet, I'm not quite at that point because of other projects I'm working on/need to finish by Christmas. I may actually venture into my very first LYS today, so I'll see if I can find it there (or ask the proprietress is she can get it for us). How's the reading going?

Mariblue - :woohoo: beautiful socks!!! I :heart: them!!

Gamerchik - hope it's cooled down for you a bit!!! I dislike it when it's too :hot:

UnspeakableJoy
07-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm done with Chart 1!! :woot:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/Harry%20Potter%20Knits/IMG_2310.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/Harry%20Potter%20Knits/IMG_2311.jpg

IBAmyB
07-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Looks great, UnspeakableJoy! I am only on line 14! (I still have a ways to go to catch up, especially since I had to start over!)

Mariblue
07-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind remarks about my socks! I bought yarn today for the dark scarf mark. I went with the Caron SS black and brite green too-I'm excited to get started!
UnspeakableJoy, your scarf is looking great!:cheering:

Gamerchik- The socks took me about ten days to knit. I knit for 1-2 hours a day, but probably less than that. I never really timed myself, though. On average, it's about a two week project. I used the Universal Toe Up Sock Formula (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html) for a costumized fit, but based it on the stripe pattern used on the house socks in Charmed knits. I also used size one needles. I'm so used to them now that I feel like size 8 needles are huge!
You should totally try socks! I know that Silver's Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm) has a really good tutorial-and she gives you the option to use bigger needles and worsted weight yarn to make a pair of practice socks with.
Also, making an actual pair of baby socks (not booties), with small needles is good practice too, and also a very quick knit!

Lady Violet
07-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Lady Violet - I haven't searched for the yarn yet, I'm not quite at that point because of other projects I'm working on/need to finish by Christmas. I may actually venture into my very first LYS today, so I'll see if I can find it there (or ask the proprietress is she can get it for us). How's the reading going?

let me know if they have it or can get it.
i'm on page 248. for any other book, that would be some serious progress. but seeing as how it's 870 pages long :shock:, i still have a ways to go. i'll probably end up going to see the movie by myself friday night before i go wait to pick up my book :cheering:, unless i get a friend to go with me. i have one who might. i think HP is a movie it would be impossible for her to see too many times. :teehee: i'm glad HBP isn't as long. :rollseyes:

Lady Violet
07-14-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm done with Chart 1!! :woot:

:passedout:

:notworthy: :notworthy:
you're amazing. have you slept at all since you started that thing?! :teehee:
now that my options are here :woot:, i have some serious sock knitting to do. but first i have to finish my practice sock. i'm using magic loop. it's amazing how easy it is! :cheering:

Orangeus
07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Those socks look awesome Mariblue!

You guys are evil! All the dark mark's look so awesome I'm completely compelled to try it!

I'm knitting away on that Owl Hat, in black. I hope I can finish it before Friday!

LeslieRR
07-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Mariblue, those socks really ROCK! They're amazing.

Unspeakable Joy, your scarf is really looking great.

I am still plugging away at the Gryffindor Illusion scarf. I seem to knit and knit and knit and knit and knit some more and not get anywhere. :ick: I will post pictures of the illusion when my daughter isn't around (since it's a Christmas gift).

Good knitting everyone!

UnspeakableJoy
07-14-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm on a roll ... Chart 2 is complete!!! :woohoo:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/IMG_2314.jpg

Shandeh
07-14-2007, 09:33 PM
You ARE on a roll!

I've been thinking that those "illusion" scarves will be easily visible to children, looking up at people who wear them. I wonder how many kids are gonna be scared when they see it! :teehee:

Lady Violet
07-14-2007, 09:41 PM

seriously, you MUST have borrowed mrs. weasley's needles.

IBAmyB
07-14-2007, 10:09 PM

I wish I could be like Mrs. Weasley and Hermione and use magic on the needles!

I hurt both my thumbs earlier today (long story) and my knitting is going (painfully) very slowly! :(

IBAmyB
07-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Wow! That was fast! You are really moving right along on this one. I am nowhere near being finished!

Lady Violet
07-15-2007, 12:14 AM
UnspeakableJoy and anyone else who wants to know about the yarn used in the orange fawkes sample pictured in the pattern, i think i found where the yarn came from. sunshine yarns (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=4375)is on etsy. right now she doesn't have any in the color used for the sample (flames), but i think she posts new yarns every week. she's getting married on the 20th, so that will probably affect her postings for a while. :teehee:

fyi, on her blog she has a harry potter sock club. anybody want to "loan" me $100? :roflhard:
oh man. if only. :rollseyes:

UnspeakableJoy
07-15-2007, 07:49 AM
You ARE on a roll!

I've been thinking that those "illusion" scarves will be easily visible to children, looking up at people who wear them. I wonder how many kids are gonna be scared when they see it! :teehee:

I was thinking the same thing!! My girl was simply adorable. I showed her the scarf the right way, then slowly tilted it back - her eyes got bigger and bigger and bigger!! :roflhard:

:teehee: now THAT would be awesome!

I wish I could be like Mrs. Weasley and Hermione and use magic on the needles!

I hurt both my thumbs earlier today (long story) and my knitting is going (painfully) very slowly! :(

Oh no!! I hope you feel better soon!! :hug:

Wow! That was fast! You are really moving right along on this one. I am nowhere near being finished!

It's only because we stayed home all day yesterday. I got up early to do the housecleaning so I could knit with a clean conscience for the rest of the day :teehee:

gamerchik
07-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Everything is looking great, guys!!! UnspeakableJoy (can I just call you 'Joy'? lol), do you ever SLEEP??? You're amazing! I love the joke about Mrs. Weasley's needles. :lol::lol::lol:

I haven't been knitting much in the past few days because I've been so busy with other stuff. Last night, DH and I worked on making "potions" for the mantle, and I started and finished a 4'x3' huge painting of the Gryffindor emblem!!! I've been saving that giant canvas forever and I finally had an idea for it! I'm REALLY happy with how it turned out. DH says I MUST do a Slytherin one as well. I'll try to post a pic or two later.

We're getting ready to spend all night knitting together while we watch the Egyptology marathon on the Discovery Channel!!! WOOHOO!!!

*Hugs* to all of you wonderful knit-a-long-ers! :hug::muah::hug:

Lady Violet
07-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Mariblue, i've decided to knit some socks like yours using my brand-spankin'-new options that are faster than lightning. i just did all the math for the pattern and i don't think it will be too hard. gee, i hope not. i told a friend i'd knit her some, too! i'll start them tomorrow, but i have to pace myself (well, as much as i can). i'd love to have them done by friday, but i'll settle for just one. that will give me something to knit while i'm waiting. i still have to finish OOTP and read HBP. the movie will just have to wait. the way it's going, i may even have a house scarf before i get to the theater. at least i'm not getting bored! :rollseyes:

Belphoebe
07-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Fawkes socks? :noway: Where? Where??!! I love him!!! :heart:

IBAmyB
07-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Fawkes socks? :noway: Where? Where??!! I love him!!! :heart:

Here's the link for the Fawkes socks:
http://socktopia.net/blog/2007/07/10/introducing-fawkes/

Socktopia is doing 3 Harry Potter patterns this month.

The first was Bellatrix:
http://socktopia.net/blog/2007/07/01/bellatrix/

Sill awaiting #3!

IBAmyB
07-16-2007, 01:35 AM
I am up to row 50 of Chart 1 of the Dark Mark Scarf. I had to frog that row 3 times! UGGH.... :ick: figured I needed to take a break from it for a while. (It's been slow going the past 2 days with my sore thumbs, but they are getting better. :) )

Mariblue
07-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Last night, DH and I worked on making "potions" for the mantle, and I started and finished a 4'x3' huge painting of the Gryffindor emblem!!! I've been saving that giant canvas forever and I finally had an idea for it! I'm REALLY happy with how it turned out. DH says I MUST do a Slytherin one as well. I'll try to post a pic or two later.

I would love to see a picture of your painting! Last year I threw a Harry Potter Halloween party for my kids, and I painted all four house banners as part of the decorations. They're just on posterboard, but I've got them hanging up in my kid's room. I'm going to put them up in the living room today. I also did a transfiguration "black board", which looks pretty great, at least in my opinion! I got the idea from some Harry Potter party website. I'll try and post pictures later.
Another fun thing that we did last year, and I think we'll do again when the book comes, is making potions to drink. I just took some koolaid (which I never usually let them drink, I usually use it for dyeing yarn:teehee:). I mixed the koolaid up with the sugar, and put each flavor in an unmarked bowl. We used little dixie cups, and the kids could put a couple spoonfuls of koolaid "ingrediants" into the cups, add the "veritaserum" (water), and create their own potions! Mixing and matching the different flavors is great fun too. Oh, and if you get pop rocks candy, and put it in your potion, it will pop and fizz! It's really fun.

Mariblue, i've decided to knit some socks like yours using my brand-spankin'-new options that are faster than lightning. i just did all the math for the pattern and i don't think it will be too hard. gee, i hope not. i told a friend i'd knit her some, too! i'll start them tomorrow, but i have to pace myself (well, as much as i can). i'd love to have them done by friday, but i'll settle for just one. that will give me something to knit while i'm waiting. i still have to finish OOTP and read HBP. the movie will just have to wait. the way it's going, i may even have a house scarf before i get to the theater. at least i'm not getting bored! :rollseyes:
:cheering:Yeah for socks! If you need any help, let me know! I've got some knitpicks size one needles that I use exclusively for socks. I love them! Although I've read all the books before, I am trying to re-read them all. I'm in the middle of Prisoner of Azkaban, and still have the Goblet of fire and Order of the Phoenix to go. I read the Half Blood Prince last month, before I decided to read the whole series over again, so at least I've got that one out of the way!

Oh, and I started the Dark Mark scarf last night.

Mariblue
07-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I am up to row 50 of Chart 1 of the Dark Mark Scarf. I had to frog that row 3 times! UGGH.... :ick: figured I needed to take a break from it for a while. (It's been slow going the past 2 days with my sore thumbs, but they are getting better. :) )
:hug:I'm sorry about your thumbs! But glad they are getting better. :hug:

IBAmyB
07-16-2007, 03:27 PM
I read the Half Blood Prince last month, before I decided to read the whole series over again, so at least I've got that one out of the way!

Me too! I decided I wanted to re-read HBP and after that I re-read the whole series... debating on if I am going to re-read HBP (again) before Friday!

Duckling326
07-16-2007, 04:16 PM
I started re-reading HBP this weekend, hoping to have it finished by this Saturday. Depending if I can put down my needles haha

IBAmyB
07-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Finished with Chart 1 of Dark Mark:

I know my tension and edges need more work, but I am still a fairly new knitter!

Lady Violet
07-16-2007, 06:45 PM
that looks incredible!

Orangeus
07-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey all, the third Socktopia pattern is up! It's Nagini (http://socktopia.net/blog/2007/07/16/pattern-3-for-july-nagini/) this time.

I am amazed at how quickly everyone is knitting! Hhaha

I finished the owls on my owl hat!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1310/831960266_d48e70ae3a.jpg (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1310/831960266_d48e70ae3a_b.jpg)
[click for bigger, better view]

I didn't think it would look this good while I was doing the pattern, haha.

Oh and little observance I made... I am so sure I cast on enough stitches for 11 owls, right? Yeah, I've got 13 owls. 22 extra stitches! I swear I didn't cast them on, but I didn't increase at all either! I am going to blame Dobby, and call it a day. And yes, this does make it a big floppy hat.

Gamerchick and Mariblue, you've both GOT to post pictures of your paintings! (and the blackboard too)

[Edit, augh I accidentally deleted this bit]
The scarf looks lovely Amy! Well... as lovely as a dark mark can, LOL, which turns out is quite a lot.

gamerchik
07-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Amy and Orangeus, those look great!!! :cheering:

Mariblue, I want to see your stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Gryffindor scarf is taking FOREVER! LOL. I'll post more pics of my progress after tonight's knitting.

Here are some pics of the Gryffindor painting I just did...I swear it looks better in person...I can't seem to get a good pic! But here are some pics anyway.

Mariblue
07-16-2007, 07:37 PM
IBAmyB, your scarf is looking great!
Orangeus, thanks for posting about the Nagini Socks, they look fun!
Your knitting looks great.
gamerchik, I love your painting! It looks really nice! If you do a slytherin one, I'd love to see it!
Here are the posters I made last year, I just put them up in our living room today, my kids are all excited! I wanted them to look a little like the banners that hang in the great hall. And here's the transfiguration chalkboard poster as well. It's supposed to look like the chalkboard that is in one of the first two movies (Can't remember which at the moment). Like I said before, I got the idea from a Harry Potter party website-and she also had posted a chalkboard she made. I couldn't quite make out the equation on her chalkboard, or from the movie's chalkboard either, so I made up some of it. :teehee:

mks22300
07-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Orangeus, where did you get your hat pattern from?

Very cool paintings and posters gamerchik and Mariblue!

IBAmyB
07-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Orangeus:

Thanks for the heads up on the Nagini socks!

And those 2 extra owls??? Hedwig and Pig of course! (where did you get that pattern? It's great!

It's funny that the Dark Mark is so evil, but it's fun to knit! I am thinking of dressing up as Bellatrix for the Deathly Hallows Premire Party this weekend at the local bookstore and work on the Dark Mark scarf while there... would that be something she would knit? (If she knit....)

Orangeus
07-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Those paintings look awesome!

Oh I would love to see someone dressed up like Bella knitting at my bookstore, hahaha.

The pattern for the hat was posted a couple pages ago... Here's (http://www.ruthieknits.com/owlhat.htm) the link. I used Caron Wintuk (black, clearly), and 5 US needles. I don't recommend the yarn, needles, and number of stitches on 16 inch circs though, waaaay too cramped. The cables were impossible to do; DNPs for the win!

Hahhah, I should add a little something to the two extra owls then to mark them as special! :teehee:

GinnyWeasley
07-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey everyone. HUGE HP fan here, hence the name ;), and I am just starting out at the whole knitting things. I really wanted to make the atypically Gryffindor scarf with that pattern but the whole thing scares me! I am just getting use to casting on and doing a knit stitch let alone doing it in the round.

Orangeus
07-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Ginny!

If you can cast on, and knit, then you can knit in the round! The scarf you want to make is nothing more than many, many knit stitches.

The only part of knitting in the round that's a bit tricky is right after you cast on, and you 'join' the two ends together, but the first video on this page (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/) can walk you though it.

All the videos on this site are really great, and I'm sure we'd all be happy to help if you run into any trouble on the way.

Mariblue
07-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Welcome, Ginny! :cheering: You'll get the hang of knitting in no time, and then you can make that scarf!

Here's a pic of my dark mark illusion scarf. I've finished the first chart. My kids are seriously tickled that there is a picture in my knitting. :teehee:

karendawn
07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Everyone's projects are looking fantastic!

I've had a break in knitting as I had planned to reread only HBP, but after watching the OOTP movie, I decided to reread that as well. It took me a bit longer than expected, so I put the knitting aside to focus on the reading. I finished HBP just a little while ago, so I'll be picking up my Quidditch sweater again soon.

I have finished the front piece and just started the back. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

UnspeakableJoy
07-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Everyone's projects look amazing!!! Great job!! :balloons:

Mariblue and IBAmyB- your scarves are looking awesome!! :woot:

Gamerchik: Your paintings are AMAZING!!! When are you planning to come out to the Chicago area?? You could totally paint my boy's bedroom - we're trying to make it look like the Gryffindor dormitory :)

I'm still knitting the repeating background section of my Dark Mark scarf. I have maybe 20" more to go :think: before I can get started on Chart 3. I brought it to work with me today and my coworkers think I'm like a super knitter or something - they're just blown away at illusion knitting :teehee: I'm going to knit through my lunch break and plan to get the background done tonite and knock out Charts 3 and 4 tomorrow, so I can block it all day Friday. This is supposed to be a Christmas gift for my niece, but I think I'm going to test out the scarf at the book release party Friday night :teehee:

GinnyWeasley
07-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys!

I have great news, well for me lol. I was able to cast on in the round and I am on the first row. Its going ok for my first round....I made sure that when I casted on that the stitches didnt twist..however the needles are new and the chords itself is twisting because it is fresh out of the package. Therefore, sometimes it twists but it should be ok to keep going right? I am hoping that tyhe needle chord will striaghten itself out once I get several rows in.

BTW, I am knitting a Ravenclaw one and will be sure to post it when I am done.....twenty years from now! Haha.

And I just have to say....my index finger is SOOOOO sore! :( lol.

I REALLY want to knit that pattern as well mariblue! I saw that one the other day. I think it will be some time of sticking to the house scraves though before I attempt that one. :D

Orangeus
07-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Congratulations! Knitting in the round is a big step for a lot of people, after all. And it's alright if the cord itself folds up (although it is annoying), since you have already casted on properly, there is no need to worry about it messing with the knitting.

It might take more than a few rows for the cord to flatten itself out, but pretty soon, the weight of the scarf will prevent the curling.

(and the sore fingers get better too, after a while. Maybe you can try putting like, a big thimble or something on for the time being?)

photogirl72
07-18-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm glad you decided to try knitting in the round. It opens up a whole new world of knitting when you start that.

The curling will stop once the needles are a little more used. I usually hang my circs from a hanger out in the sun for a few hours when they are new like that. Loosens up the curls really well, but since you've already cast on, you'll just have to wait until the weight of the yarn pulls it out. But it is okay for it to curl so long as you don't let the stitches get twisted.

gamerchik
07-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Mariblue: I love your HP stuff, especially the Transfiguration board.

UnspeakableJoy: Thanks for the compliment. I'll let you know if I ever get out to the Chicago area. :blush:

Ginny: Congrats on knitting in the round. My Gryffindor scarf is also my first project knit in the round, and I absolutely love it. Round and round we go.

I haven't been posting much, and I'm sorry if I missed some people here, but I'm having sort of a rough week. I had a miscarriage in December at 11 weeks (it was my first pregnancy) and the due date would have been this Friday, the 20th. I thought I was doing better about all of it, but as the date approaches, I'm having a hard time. To make matters worse, I must be on some mailing list because I keep receiving free samples of diapers and baby formula and magazines, etc. in the mail. Sooo...I'm just kind of laying low this week. I'll be glad when Saturday comes.

*Hugs* to all of you...the knitting is looking great.

Mariblue
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
:hug::hug::hug:Hugs, Gamerchik :hug::hug::hug:

kahluakiggy
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry, Gamerchik. Hugs to you!!!

I frogged my Dark Mark illusion scarf (made with Simply Soft!! Dark sage and black) for the second time as I was catching up on this thread... I noticed that mine just didn't look right when compared to everyone else's. lol Oh, well... third time's the charm, right? lol Umm, oh, and I made a bookscarf! Ooh...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/kahluakiggy/HPIM0773.jpg
Yay, me. You've probably noticed that the bars at the top and bottom are farther apart than the ones in the middle. I'm cool like that. :thumbsup:
Everyone's stuff looks fantastic!

UnspeakableJoy
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
gamerchik - hon, I'm so sorry for your loss :hug: I will keep you in my prayers!

GinnyWeasley
07-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragment everyone :D I am now on my second row...It took me sooooo freakin long to finish just the first row....one row down, 21 to go until a colour change. *bangs head on desk* haha.

Mariblue
07-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Your bookscarf looks great, kahluakiggy! :cheering:

Thanks for the words of encouragment everyone :D I am now on my second row...It took me sooooo freakin long to finish just the first row....one row down, 21 to go until a colour change. *bangs head on desk* haha.

I remember when it took what felt like FOREVER to finish just one row of knitting. I would knit the one row, then take a long break, and come back to it. When I first started knitting (well, during the first hour) I actually threw my needles and yarn across the room in frustration. But then, when I finally got into the rhythm of knitting, and realized what a profoundly relaxing discovery I had made...it made all the difference!

Shandeh
07-18-2007, 11:29 PM
:pray: :heart: Gamerchik :heart: :pray:

GinnyWeasley
07-18-2007, 11:47 PM
That how it is feeling to me right now...seems to be taking forever. I guess it also doesnt help that I think my scarf if way too wide...I don't understand...I bought the specified needles that it said to buy yet I needed to cast on way more stitches then was required. So it looks like, when completed, it will be way to big width wise, and that is another reason why it is taking me so long to get around.

Orangeus
07-19-2007, 12:19 AM
:hug: gamerchick.

Ginny, are you sure you got the right length of needles? Where, from tip of needle, all the way along the cord, to the tip of the other needle is however many inches the pattern called for (I looked quickly, and it seems like it calls for a 16"). It could also depend on what yarn you are using, but I think the cord length is more likely the culprit to your problems.

PCwombat
07-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Also, Ginny, when you work in the round, the cast on edge may not be stretchy enough to fit all the way around depending on the # of stitches cast on, but once you get a few rows in, it usually fits fine. A way to deal with is is to knit the first few rows flat and then join. Once you're finished, you can use the cast on tail to sew together the loose edges.

Also, as for that pattern, when I originally started my scarf, I cast on the correct number, and the scarf was coming out way to wide for me. I frogged it and only cast on 60 or 70 (can't remember which) stitches.

UnspeakableJoy
07-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Ginny - the atypically.net pattern is a rather wide pattern - when my boy wears it draped over his shoulder, it looks like a man shawl or something :teehee:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/Harry%20Potter%20Knits/IMG_2290.jpg

gamerchik
07-19-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks to everyone for your sweet comments, thoughts, prayers and hugs. You are a wonderful bunch of people, to be sure. :hug::hug::hug:

I'll post more later...time for bed!

GinnyWeasley
07-19-2007, 08:44 AM
I kinda knew it was kinda wide when I started but I just was so anxious to try and get it going right that I ignored it but now...it will be hilariously wide...like almost shoulder to shoulder. I swear I bought 16' needles but maybe I didnt.

Maybe I will go out and get a smaller length and scrap this one.

Orangeus
07-19-2007, 04:38 PM
I finished my owl hat!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1324/854157274_d0df9c7cd3.jpg
(http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1324/854157274_d0df9c7cd3_b.jpg)(did I miss the memo that it's really hard to take pictures of black knitting? And that in trying to get enough light to do such, at night, renders all surrounding things a horrid colour?)

It fails a little bit as a hat, since I really don't think it would keep my ears warm at all, if I were to suddenly be somewhere that is ACTUALLY COLD, as it's so wide but I love it! I'm actually trying to think of excuses to wear it, outside, in the sun, in the middle of the day.

In other news, I have the Sock Bug. More so than my slipper/sock-jaywalkers can subdue. Which is why I have caved, and am going to make my Never Ending First [real]Sock Of Doom into half a Bellatrix (http://socktopia.net/blog/2007/07/01/bellatrix/)sock! (They're toeup, and I've done the whole foot plain (:wall:) so the leg will be the Bella pattern!)

Ginny, if the 16" needles are giving you a scarf suitable only for Hagrid, you could always get a second circ (same needle size, obviously), and use the two circ (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/) trick, to make something that isn't quite so hilariously wide.

kahluakiggy
07-19-2007, 06:09 PM
So I am now on the fifth try for the Dark Mark scarf - but this time I read the whole chart. Including the part that says: RS: knit all rows. Go, me. It's looking a lot better this time around. :rofl:

Mariblue
07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I love your hat, Orangeus!

Ginny, I agree with Orangeus. With circs that have a less flexible cord, the best way to go is to knit with 2 circular needles. You can knit any diameter with 2 circs, so you don't have to worry about the length of the needles at all.

Kalhuakiggy, I also missed out the part about all right side rows being knit. Except, I noticed pretty much right away, and then actually sat down to read the entire pattern through. :teehee: I've finished the second chart, and am now knitting up the middle 30 or so inches.

gamerchik
07-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Ginny: If you can afford it, do yourself a favor and buy a pair of size 8 (or whatever size you need to meet the atypically.net gauge) 16" Addi Turbos; then, start over. You will not regret the $15!!!

Orangeus: That hat is AWESOME!!! My house is freezing from the A/C...come over and you can wear it inside. :lol:

kahluakiggy
07-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I just kept frogging, thinking I was doing something wrong. lol My printer wasn't working, so I didn't have it printed out, and I had written the charts out because I screw up charts well. lol Oops.

GinnyWeasley
07-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Ok, so I obviously did buy the wrong needles before and misread the package. I went back and purchased circs US8 16" and they are perfect and even better....the chord isnt twisted and it is right from the package. *Jumps for joy* I have just started the first row of the second try of my Ravenclar scarf and it, thus far, is going great! :) The more I do it, the easier it is getting! Go me! hehe.

Anyways, I am off to bed all anxious for tomorrow. I wish you all a happy Harry reading weekend!! :D

UnspeakableJoy
07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
I had to take a break from my Dark Mark scarf to knit that 2nd Gryffindor CoS scarf for an acquaintance, which I finished last night :thud: Ya know, I :heart: HP knitting, but I'll be happy if I don't have to knit another house scarf for awhile! :teehee: I have 7" left of the middle part of my Dark Mark scarf to knit before I can start Chart 3. I was trying to get the Dark Mark scarf finished today so I could wear it to the book party tonite, but my niece - the one I'm knitting this for as a surprise - called my kids last night and asked if she and her brother could come with us to the party :wall: so I guess I won't be able to show off my Dark Mark scarf tonite afterall!

Orangeus - your owl hat is too cute!!! :balloons: I'm not a hat person myself, but I would definitely wear your owl hat!

Ginny - now that you've got the right needles, your Ravenclaw scarf will be a breeze to knit! :wink:

Mariblue - Great job on finished Chart 2!

Kahluakiggy - girl,l I frogged my Dark Mark scarf 4 times, but the 5th time seems to be the charm!

kahluakiggy
07-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Orangeus, I'm sorry, I forgot to say in my last post, I love your hat too!

UnspeakableJoy, you're right! Five is the magic number! I can see the snakes emerging! Woot!

gamerchik
07-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi all! I have about 1.5 stripes left before my Gryffindor scarf is finally done!!! I've gotten a LOT faster while knitting that thing, lol. ANYWAY, I'm trying to figure out if I need to block it (it's Plymouth Encore, so I'm not sure???); I posted a topic about that in the How-To board.

Anyway...I'm hoping to get that scarf done tonight!!! I'm off to the LYS to get the yarn for a Slytherin scarf. I'm sooo hoping they'll have the silver color (last time they didn't) so that I can work on the scarf this weekend. If not, I'll have to work on the Dark Mark scarf that is sooo neglected. :shifty:

knitknut
07-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Everyone's knitting is looking great! Here is the beret I made for DD. I got the pattern from Charmed Knits. I did change the stripes slightly to match her scarf. Sorry about the catbutt, you know how they are when you bring the camera out. :rollseyes: I tried to get him to model it, but no such luck.

:happydance: Happy reading everyone! :happydance:

Mariblue
07-20-2007, 07:14 PM
That's exciting that you're so close to being finished, gamerchik!
Your hat is really cute, knitknut, well done! :cheering:

Shandeh
07-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Some of you may not know this, but I have been stuck in bed for the past two days. I have been depressed all day, because I can't go to get my copy of the HP book. :pout:

Well, I just got a call from my sweet hubby.
He's standing in line, getting the book for me!!! :cheering:

want2knit
07-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Sandy, what a sweet hubby you have. Maybe you'll feel better once you get that book in your hands! I preodered from Amazon for my 10-yr-old son so hopefully it will be here early next week.

Mariblue
07-21-2007, 12:36 AM
:hug:Feel better, Sandy!:hug:

IBAmyB
07-21-2007, 12:45 AM
:hug: BUG HUGS!!!!!! Sorry you aren't feeling well. I am glad your Hubby is getting your book for you! enjoy reading it and get yourself better!!!! (I am heading out here in a little bit to get mine... the bad thing about being on West Coast time: it's only 9:45pm here!)

Shandeh
07-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Sandy, what a sweet hubby you have. Maybe you'll feel better once you get that book in your hands! I preodered from Amazon for my 10-yr-old son so hopefully it will be here early next week.
You're RIGHT! He IS a sweet hubby!!
I hope you get your book VERY soon, my friend! :hug:

:hug:Feel better, Sandy!:hug:
Thank you! :muah:

:hug: BUG HUGS!!!!!! Sorry you aren't feeling well. I am glad your Hubby is getting your book for you! enjoy reading it and get yourself better!!!! (I am heading out here in a little bit to get mine... the bad thing about being on West Coast time: it's only 9:45pm here!)
The good thing is that you're closer to my sister than I am! :thumbsup:

UnspeakableJoy
07-21-2007, 02:13 AM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/Harry%20Potter%20Knits/IMG_2325.jpg

And I have a massive headache :ick: We went to a HP party at our local Barnes and Noble ... by far the most crowded midnight HP book release yet ...

Here's my girl fast asleep on a bench at about 11:47pm ... she's using her HP PoA scarf as a pillow, and my Dark Mark scarf is right next to her ...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/Harry%20Potter%20Knits/IMG_2324.jpg

My boy has his book and is snuggled in bed reading away ... I'm also going to bed ... to SLEEP! :)

Remember, no spoilers in this thread, please!!! G'nite everyone!

Sandy - I hope you feel better soon!! You have a very sweet hubby!

Lady Violet
07-21-2007, 02:50 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1229/862443659_ca1d98b2b6_m.jpg

now to go be a good girl. :teehee:

which means, now to finish the last 150 pages of OOTP, all of HBP, and then finally DH. :thud:

to keep this on topic :thumbsup:, i have started the toe of a hufflepuff sock, but that has now been put on hold as i would like to not find everything out before i've actually read the book (for once). i don't know when i'll be back on here, but hopefully it will be soon! i'm hoping to have everything read by early next week. hey, i almost said sunday night, and we all KNOW that's not going to happen! :roflhard: :rollseyes:

IBAmyB
07-21-2007, 04:01 AM
Got my copy too! :woot: :happydancing::woohoo:

I actually took my Dark Mark scarf along and worked on it there. I didn't have the nerve to dress up as Bellatix and knit :oops:, but I got quite a few comments on my scarf! :grin:

I knitted while watching people play games (trivia contests, "Quidditch" Hot Potato, Costume Contests, etc). I did pretty well too. I am on the middle "background" section, so I didn't need to worry about the pattern. I actually can knit without looking now (not purl though), so that helped... In fact I got so into the trivia game (answered a few myself) that I didn't realize and did 3 rows of green in a row and had to frog back to change it to black! :teehee:

Now, off to read for a while!

Happy Reading and Knitting, everyone! :cheering::yay:

gamerchik
07-21-2007, 05:16 AM
Yes, yes, let's PLEASE stay spoiler-free! This is the only web site I trust until I've finished reading the new book! :lol:

Knitknut: Hat is AWESOME! It's really so good! I don't know if I'm brave enough to try a beret.

UnspeakableJoy: You're the best mom ever! I hope I'm a mom like you. :)

Shandeh: PLEASE feel better! I'm sure you're quite adorable while you're sick, but please do get better soon. We need you to be healthy and happy! Your hubby rocks, btw. :)

Okay! Here are some pictures. Why does everything ALWAYS look better in person than it does in pics? Anyway, a few pics of the new Slytherin painting (to match last week's Gryffindor painting), and...my FINALLY FINISHED GRYFFINDOR SCARF!!! Not including cast-on and bind-off, this scarf took 29,260 stitches. And it's DONE! YAY!!! :drool: Now to start the Slytherin scarf! WOOHOO!

UnspeakableJoy
07-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Lady Violet - there you are! I was missing you! :wink:

IBAmyB - I had several people comment on my scarf too. I had to sit on the ground, but oh-so-casually laid out the Dark Mark along my leg. My kids and I had a blast watching people's expressions. They'd walk by, then do a double-take. I also think I should get a commission for Charmed Knits. I think I single-handly sold out all copies in the store! One dad actually stopped and talked with me for quite awhile - he's an arts teacher for 3rd - 5th graders, and they're all into Harry (of course) so we talked about teaching them to knit house scarves - just cast on and knit knit knit! He walked away with the book (delighting his teen daughter who's a knitter). All in all it was a good experience!

gamerchik - you will DEFINITELY be an OUTSTANDING supermom one day, I just know it!! Your paintings are simply amazing - have you thought about selling them?? *hint hint* :happydance: I love your house scarf too!!! I absolutely love your yarn (you're using Encore?) it's so much nicer than my cheapo Wool-ease.

Mariblue
07-21-2007, 11:22 AM
I love your scarf and painting, gamerchik!:cheering:

Shandeh
07-21-2007, 11:34 AM
It is SO COOL to have such kindred spirits in here. You all knit just like me, and you all are trying to enjoy your Harry Potter book without spoilers like me. And you all are fun like me!!!

:happydance: :cheering: :happydance:
I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!! :waah:

Beautiful knitting, beautiful art, and wonderful people.
Well....I'm back to reading again!! :muah:

IBAmyB
07-21-2007, 01:37 PM
...and you all are trying to enjoy your Harry Potter book without spoilers like me

I am so trying to avoid spoliers!

Last night when I got home, I wanted to see where my book was printed (a company near my hometown printed some - alas, mine wasn't printed there), so I slowly opened the back of the book so I wouldn't see anything. :) I also put my hand over the chapter titles while I was turning the pages to start to read so I wouldn't see them!

My dad reads Harry Potter too (I got him into it) and wants me to send him my copy of the book when I am done (Hubby is going to try to get a copy over there in Iraq), but doesn't want me to give anything away to him either! Also, I e-mail my dad a pic of my Dark Mark scarf and he thought it was really neat and was highly impressed with the "magic" of the technique!

Well, I stayed up 'til 4am reading, and now Hubby e-mailed and said he won't be able to get on the webcam until 1.5 hrs later than our appointed time... so, off to read some more! ;)

Mariblue
07-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Hmmm...a question for all you dark mark scarf knitters...
Is yours curling up so it ends up looking at least half its actual width? I thought that the garter stitch in the black color would help with that, but it doesn't seem to be. I may just do the center portion (where the illusion knit is not present) in all garter stitch. That way, if I add fringe at the ends, it might weigh it down enough so it won't curl in the illusion parts. What are your thoughts??
I showed my parents the scarf, and their jaws dropped open, they knew right away what it was, and thought it was really neat!

IBAmyB
07-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Hmmm...a question for all you dark mark scarf knitters...
Is yours curling up so it ends up looking at least half its actual width?

Yep, mine is curling too... the longer it gets, the more it curls. :( I guess I'll have to see how it is after I finishing knitting and blocking...

Mariblue
07-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Yep, mine is curling too... the longer it gets, the more it curls. :( I guess I'll have to see how it is after I finishing knitting and blocking...
Thanks, at least I know I'm not alone! I'm using the Caron Simply Soft yarn, so it can't really be blocked. I think I'll frog it back and just do the center section in garter stitch. I only have to frog back about 12 inches, so it's not too bad. :teehee:

Mariblue
07-21-2007, 05:16 PM
My book came in the mail! :cheering: I'm so shocked, cause I wasn't expecting it till around the middle of the week. :happydance:

Belphoebe
07-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Shandeh--Hope your back is better soon!

I too thank the rest of you for not "spoiling." I haven't gotten my book yet, as my parents came to visit this weekend and I didn't feel like deserting them to go get it. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will be able to go get it. :thumbsup:

I'm still working on my year 3/4 Slytherin scarf for the man of the house. I have about three stripe sets done already. I'm using a bulky yarn though, but I think it looks nice. I'll post pics soon.

Lady Violet
07-22-2007, 05:16 PM
well, i finished OOTP yesterday and about 100 pages of HBP. now i'm on chapter 7. all of a sudden i got the urge to knit a couple of these
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1208/872347656_ced52ba3af_m.jpg
for my HP friends. (i only have two. isn't it sad? :help:) i don't think i will ever again do two in a row. it is such a pain to sew those dang corners together. the needle just doesn't want to go through, and i even got a regular sewing needle instead of a yarn needle! :ick:
so anyways, i'm going to watch friday's doctor who (gee, i wonder why i missed it :roflhard:), and then i'll keep working on HBP. good stuff.

:happydancing:

Lady Violet
07-22-2007, 05:19 PM
oh, i do have a question. i don't think there are many hufflepuffs on here, but those of you that have knit with HP colors, what yarns have you used, and are they the more antique looking colors that are in the movies? i'm particularly thinking of the scarf colors from GOF. i just love that yellow/gold.

UnspeakableJoy
07-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Lady Violet - I :heart: your pygmy puffs!! I saw them at the Leaky Cauldron :)

I probably won't read the book for another 6 months or so - I'm reading HBP aloud with my 6-year old, so it'll take us awhile to get through it and read DH.

I'm done with Chart 3 of my Dark Mark scarf, and will probably finish it tomorrow :woot: I may give it to my niece early so she can show it off to her friends while the HP DH mania is still in full force :)

Quick question ... now that OotP movie and DH has been released, can we keep this KAL open anyway?? I have a few non-HP knitting projects coming up, but know I'll be knitting a Weasley sweater and a few HP socks in the future ...

Lady Violet
07-22-2007, 08:14 PM
thanks UnspeakableJoy! i really like how they came out. and i actually didn't have to buy anything, too! :cheering:

remember, we still have two more movies to go. if KH is a knitting community, i like to think of this KAL as a "sub-community." where else can you find a very active forum thread full of people who love HP knitting just for the sake of HP knitting? i know i for one definitely won't stop knitting this stuff just because it will all be winding down in a few years.

IBAmyB
07-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh course when I went to Wal-Mart today, they have the darker green I wanted to use on my Dark Mark scarf (they didn't have it before, as opposed to the "neon" green I am using). :( Oh well, I am about 1/2 way done with it, so guess I should just finished up with the bright green! :) (I was there to buy blue and white yarn to make an illusion scarf from this pattern for my mom: http://www.lilocstudio.com/snowflake_illusion/)

In other news, I bought a second copy of The Deathly Hallows! Hubby couldn't get a copy in Iraq ("shipping deplays", "sorry for the inconvience" he said they said... a bunch of Soldiers were unhappy that they didn't have Harry Potter books! Too funny!:teehee: ) , so I am sending him a copy from here... the one I bought on Friday night was already "promised" to be passed along to my dad! (Gotta keep the guys in my life happy!)

gamerchik
07-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone! We finished the book today. Since this topic is spoiler-free, I'm not saying a word about it! Nothing! Nada! I stayed off the internet for almost two full days because I didn't even want to hear whether or not anyone LIKED it! LOL! Sooo, I won't say anything at all in this topic.

We totally MUST keep this topic open, because I have lots more HP knitting to do! Maybe Shandeh can edit the title of the KAL thread so that it includes "Spoiler-free!" to protect those of you who haven't finished the books?

In other news, I am on the 5th stripe of my Slytherin house scarf and I really like it so far. I just love knitting these things. I feel sorry for my Dark Mark scarf and my Irish Hiking scarf, because they just sit in the plastic tub, waiting for me to knit them. :lol: But I just love the house scarves!

*Hugs* to all! :hug:

Mariblue
07-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Oooo, those pygmy puffs are so cute!
I agree, lets keep this topic open! I've got lots more HP knitting to do.
I finished the book last night, so didn't really do any knitting yesterday, just reading. :lol:

PCwombat
07-23-2007, 12:26 PM
LadyViolet, I'm not sure if you saw it, but somewhere early on on this thread, I posted the Puff scarf I finished. I used Caron Perfect Match black and sunflower. The yellow is pretty bright, but I thought it came out pretty nice with the black.

heather_dw
07-23-2007, 06:21 PM
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6872/knitwiphpravenclawsmallqs6.gif

Not the perfect ravenclaw book color, but I think it's ok. HUbby requested it and doesn't usually give knitting compliments but he looked at it yesterday and said "You've done a really good job on this!

I ordered the DMC floss to make bookscarves although I could not find the recommended ravenclaw bronze anywhere. I really want to make the clock blanket but it seems scary hard.

gamerchik
07-23-2007, 07:50 PM
you will DEFINITELY be an OUTSTANDING supermom one day, I just know it!! Your paintings are simply amazing - have you thought about selling them?? *hint hint* :happydance: I love your house scarf too!!! I absolutely love your yarn (you're using Encore?) it's so much nicer than my cheapo Wool-ease.

Oh, and thanks so much for your sweet comment!!! I do want to be a good mom someday. As far as selling my paintings...lol! Silly. I'm no Van Gogh! As for the yarn: yes, it's encore worsted, and I LOVE it. It is sooo soft!!!

Heather, that scarf looks GREAT!!!

Brook: I'm glad I wasn't the only one hiding from spoilers, lol. I think the idea of adapting non-HP patterns to be HP stuff is cool!

GinnyWeasley
07-23-2007, 11:29 PM
I am on row 10 of my ravenclaw movie scarf and it is going SO good, especially for my first ever project :) Ill def post a pic when I get further in!

gamerchik
07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
:cheering::cheering::cheering: Go Ginny!!!

rachejm
07-24-2007, 06:50 AM
I found this knit along a few days ago and promptly wrote a list of all the things I would need for Harry Potter projects. I just signed up for the forum today so I thought I'd post and say Hi. As soon as I get the stuff I'm going to do a Gryffindor scarf. I realise the book release has gone but I figure there are two more movies left and plenty of patterns so I don't see the thread closing any time soon. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration guys and I'll let you know how I get on!:knitting:

heather_dw
07-24-2007, 08:50 AM
well, the good thing about books, is that they can be re-read.. and re-read...
:muah:

Mariblue
07-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Welcome, rachejm! :waving:
heather_dw, your scarf is looking great!

GinnyWeasley
07-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Love the scarf Heather!

Question guys....I am going to be changing colours in about 10 or so rows and will need to know this. I know they have vids up of how to change the colour of the yarn and all but can I just do a simple not and continue since the scarf will be in a tube shape? Will a knot work?

Shandeh
07-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Question guys....I am going to be changing colours in about 10 or so rows and will need to know this. I know they have vids up of how to change the colour of the yarn and all but can I just do a simple not and continue since the scarf will be in a tube shape? Will a knot work?

I'm knitting and knotting too, Ginny! :teehee: I don't think it will be a problem, because all the threads will be hanging inside the scarf anyway. No one will ever see them!

GinnyWeasley
07-24-2007, 04:15 PM
haha. Awsome! Thanks.

just seven more rows until I change colours....for the first time. lol.

gamerchik
07-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Welcome, Rachejm!! I still have lots and lots of HP knitting to complete, and you're right; even though the last book has been released, there are still 2 more films and there's no reason to stop knitting now! :yay:

Ginny, I put a slipknot onto the old color w/the new color and then slide it up. I then knit 5 rows w/the new color and then weave in the two ends. I know I probably don't have to do that, but when I knit, it makes the initial color join tighter and neater, and it also makes me feel like I did it properly. :lol: Shandeh's just such a pro, she probably doesn't need to weave the ends in! :woohoo: Lol...but as for me, I weave them in.

Lady Violet
07-24-2007, 07:15 PM
i don't know if you guys have ever used the jogless jog (http://www.socknitters.com/kickback/joglessjog.htm), but i bet it would be great to use with those scarves. i can't speak from experience seeing as how i have yet to knit one, but it worked great with my hats. :thumbsup:

Shandeh
07-25-2007, 02:12 AM
i don't know if you guys have ever used the jogless jog (http://www.socknitters.com/kickback/joglessjog.htm), but i bet it would be great to use with those scarves. i can't speak from experience seeing as how i have yet to knit one, but it worked great with my hats. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link! I'm gonna have to wrap my brain around that one for a while before I really get it.

I'm really slow at understanding some knitting tricks, until I see them in person. :doh:

misstialouise
07-25-2007, 04:13 AM
The jogless jog is GREAT! I did it on a swatch thingy I did.. and after you did it once... EASY!

UnspeakableJoy
07-25-2007, 07:11 AM
My Dark Mark scarf is DONE!! :woohoo: I will post photos when I get home from work this evening :)

Heather - your scarf looks GREAT!

Lady Violet - I LOVE the jogless jog!!

Gamerchik - you're welcome, I think you're a pretty amazing painter! :wink:

Rachejm - welcome!

Ginny - aren't color changes in house scarves exciting? :teehee:

UnspeakableJoy
07-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Here's a listing of all the HP knitting related links I've found online (with the help of my HP KAL friends):

The Leaky Lounge (http://www.leakylounge.com/index.php?showforum=156) * TONS of patterns listed here including Weasley Sweater cell/iPod cozies, house sweaters, scarves, mittens, Dobby's hat, Chudley Cannon's hat, house elf socks, Ravenclaw Illusion scarf, Harry Potter doll, gryffindor lion pillow, and more!

Harry Potter Knitting Patterns by Costume Beginner (http://www.costumebeginner.com/malkins/general/knitpat.htm) *includes links to Ron's Animal Cracker hat, golden snitch, Weasley sweaters, house scarves, pygmy puffs, school cardigans/sweaters ...

Fresh Isle Fibers Harry Potter Free Knitting Patterns (http://www.freshislefibers.com/Patterns/hpknittinglinks.htm) *includes links to Hedwig Illusion cloth, HP House Unity scarf, SoS cloth, Golden Snitch hat, Dumbledore scarf, Phineas socks, Fred and George socks, Horcrux socks, Ginny Weasley's hat, Fred & George's ski caps, and lots more!

Storm Moon Knits (http://thestormmoon.blogspot.com/2007/05/dark-mark-illusion-scarf-pattern.html) *Dark Mark Illusion Scarf and Dark Mark bag

Socktopia Harry Potter Socks (http://socktopia.net/blog/2007/07/) *Fawkes, Bellatrix and Nagini socks

Charmed Knits (http://charmedknits.blogspot.com/) *House hats

atypically.net (http://www.atypically.net) *SoS and PoA house scarves, quidditch socks. She also has cool photos with Daniel, Emma and Rupert!!

GinnyWeasley
07-25-2007, 07:27 AM
The colour change is SO exciting lol.

Ok, my scarf seems to be ruffling...I am guessing that it is because the stitches themselves are all close together and such that it is making the scarf itself to slightly ruffle ir bunch...maybe there are too many stitches on because it wont even out on the loop...I am knitting fine it is just that there are alot of stitches on and I can even it out without stitches slipping off...will it un-ruffle and even out when I am done? Am I making sense lol

UnspeakableJoy
07-25-2007, 08:48 AM
The colour change is SO exciting lol.

Ok, my scarf seems to be ruffling...I am guessing that it is because the stitches themselves are all close together and such that it is making the scarf itself to slightly ruffle ir bunch...maybe there are too many stitches on because it wont even out on the loop...I am knitting fine it is just that there are alot of stitches on and I can even it out without stitches slipping off...will it un-ruffle and even out when I am done? Am I making sense lol

That happened to me too, but it blocked out perfectly in the end. Have you tried recounting your stitches? I would do that from time to time to make sure I didn't add any stitches by accident!

knitknut
07-25-2007, 11:04 AM
The aurors are on to me!!! I'm trying to open the charts on the Dark Mark scarf and my security system at work won't allow it. Can anyone scan/email/fax me the charts? Thanks

UnspeakableJoy
07-25-2007, 11:21 AM
The aurors are on to me!!! I'm trying to open the charts on the Dark Mark scarf and my security system at work won't allow it. Can anyone scan/email/fax me the charts? Thanks

I'm on it :) PM'ing you right now!

GinnyWeasley
07-25-2007, 01:40 PM
That happened to me too, but it blocked out perfectly in the end. Have you tried recounting your stitches? I would do that from time to time to make sure I didn't add any stitches by accident!

Ok. Phew! Really dont wanna start again! lol

knitknut
07-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks UJ! I got them. Bloody hell, this looks confusing. I hope this is easier than it looks.

Mariblue
07-25-2007, 01:58 PM
UnspeakableJoy, I can't wait to see the pictures!
It'll be awhile before I finish mine, I've got other stuff I'm working on that is on a deadline. But, I will finish it eventually!

Mariblue
07-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks UJ! I got them. Bloody hell, this looks confusing. I hope this is easier than it looks.
Just make sure to remember that all right side rows are knitted! That was my downfall at first. :teehee:

kahluakiggy
07-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Just make sure to remember that all right side rows are knitted! That was my downfall at first. :teehee:
Yeah, mine too... It is easier than it looks - I keep stopping knitting to put it at eye level - it's like watching someone have a baby... "Look, I can see the snake's head!!!!" :roflhard:
You realize pretty quick exactly how it works, and then it's simple. All it is is knits and purls. It's so much fun to watch the pattern come out, plus you look like a bloody genius to everyone around you! lol

Mariblue
07-25-2007, 05:34 PM
I keep stopping knitting to put it at eye level - it's like watching someone have a baby... "Look, I can see the snake's head!!!!" :roflhard:
You realize pretty quick exactly how it works, and then it's simple. All it is is knits and purls. It's so much fun to watch the pattern come out, plus you look like a bloody genius to everyone around you! lol

I do that too! (stop to see the picture, also, my kids make me stop so they can look too !:teehee: )
I love the looks of amazement on people's faces... it's so fun!

IBAmyB
07-25-2007, 08:42 PM

I totally agree with everyone else.. Illusion knitting looks really complicated at first, but once you get going you see how easy it is and get into a rythmn. (And you make a really amazing looking piece and every non-knitter thinks you are a "wizard" with the needles! :teehee:)

I keep stopping knitting to put it at eye level - it's like watching someone have a baby... "Look, I can see the snake's head!!!!"

:chair: :roflhard:

OMG! That is too funny! (And SO true!)

misstialouise
07-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm just hanging out for the photo......

<hang>

GinnyWeasley
07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Ok, so here are the first pics...see what I mean about the bunching..blah.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/snuffles8522/Picture102.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/snuffles8522/Picture103.jpg

Mariblue
07-26-2007, 05:25 PM
That's looking great, Ginny! I think the bunching may just be due to the length of the needles. It'll sort itself out in the end!

Lady Violet
07-26-2007, 05:34 PM
my stuff always looks like that in between sliding it down the needles/cables. i wouldn't worry about it.
l:heart:ve the colors!

i finished HBP last night (4 days isn't so bad), and i get to start DH tonight. :happydance: i might end up taking it slow. i really want to read it, but when it's over, it's over. i want to make it last as long as i can i guess. i'm just glad my life has been spoiler free this week.

heather_dw
07-26-2007, 09:17 PM
I bought a looooong circular in case I get brave enough to try the clock blanket pattern from the HP knitting book. I like it so much but it looks so hard!

Anyone done this or even attempted it yet?

rachejm
07-27-2007, 01:56 PM
L:heart:ving the Ravenclaw scarf Ginny, was thinking about doing one myself but wasn't sure bout the colours, now i've seen yours I think I might have to try one myself (It'll go with more of my wardrobe than Gryffindor). Incidentally I have given a list of supplies for a Gryffindor scarf to my Aunt who lives near the LYS but haven't had a chance to go and see her to get it so I now won't be able to start til after I'm back from holiday which will be next Saturday.
Heather_dw, I haven't seen the pattern but I say go for it, it might be a bit of a challenge but you never know until you try!

GinnyWeasley
07-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Aw Thanks guys! I am quite proud of my first project actually :)

karendawn
07-28-2007, 03:20 PM
I love seeing everyone else's projects. It helps keep me motivated to working on my own. And that's just what I've been doing.

I just completed the back side of my Quidditch sweater, so now the front and back are done (well, I'll be seaming the shoulders together and adding in the neckline at some point). Next up is the sleeves. Then lots of seaming (which I'm not looking forward to).

I've put a lot of time into this so far and it's not the most exciting of knits (2x2 ribbing), but I love watching it grow and I can't wait until it's an actual sweater that I can wear - I should definitely have it done by the time winter hits.

The front is on the left and the back on the right. It looks narrow but when I stretch it out just a little, the measurements come out just right, so all should be well.

Mariblue
07-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Karendawn, your sweater is looking great! :woohoo:

Lady Violet
07-28-2007, 04:25 PM
wOw.
karendawn, that's looking really great! thanks for the update. i know with storebought ribbed sweaters, they usually loosen up over time. GREAT JOB!!!! :yay:

Shandeh
07-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Very nice sweater! I wish I had the patience to make one of those.

Duckling326
07-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Karen great job!

I was thinking that maybe I could use my remnant stash and make Mrs. Weasley's sweater from Charmed Knits. The colors are so random wouldn't that be fun!!

karendawn
07-29-2007, 02:17 PM
At the release party I went to, someone wore Mrs. Weasley's sweater from Charmed Knits. It looked amazing (her mother made it for her) and she won the overall costume contest (She did look very much like Mrs. Weasley, with really great red hair and everything).

It just seems like a lot of work and I'm not sure if I would ever wear it so I think I'll stick with my Quidditch sweater. *grin* But I would really love to hear about someone else's experience in making one!

Thanks for the compliments on the sweater. I started the first sleeve today and have about 4 inches done.

Duckling326
07-29-2007, 03:06 PM
The thing with Mrs. Weasley's sweater is that it involves crochet on the sleeves. Which is something I haven't done in a looong time.

Lady Violet
07-29-2007, 03:42 PM
HERMIONE POSTED ON YOUTUBE (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wtvYW5SLHHw)!!! :knitting:

Shandeh
07-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Too Cool!

Lady Violet
07-30-2007, 02:34 AM
now you see it....
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1029/948319992_983ac1eabd_m.jpg

now you don't!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1324/948320020_a0ffaf302f_m.jpg

of course, i had to do her in my house colors! (lion cotton black and sunflower) i started it with my sz.6 bamboos, but my stitches were not moving. it was almost like they were glued to the needles! a row and a half in and they were driving me crazy. so i decided to switch to my options. so far i only have the sz.7 tips, but i can be a tight knitter if i want to be. i figured i'd be safe. but then i actually started knitting it with my faster than lightning options :cheering:, and i just could not knit tight! it was kind of like knitting with water. that probably makes no sense at all, but it does to me. :teehee: it all worked out in the end. i think sz.6 tips might be next on my list.

i finished HBP wednesday night and had even opened up DH on thursday to start reading. i read the dedication and the quotes opposite the table of contents (covering up the chapter titles, of course ;)). but it just wasn't right. in OOTP and HBP there were small references to things in the previous books that weren't in the movies. i knew it would be the same way with DH, so i've decided to finish COS, POA, and GOF before reading DH. now i only have POA and GOF to go. but DH has already knitspired me. :teehee: i want to do a COS scarf in the colors of the cover. i just think it's gorgeous. and i might even do a POA scarf, too, if i get really bored and rich. i would have to be to be able to afford all that nice yarn! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Mariblue
07-30-2007, 09:48 AM
That looks really great Lady Violet!
I definately encourage you to read all the books before starting Deathly Hallows! There are references to the past in book seven, I can say that without giving anything away. You'll have a much better understanding of the book!

IBAmyB
07-30-2007, 11:19 AM
I have my yarn for my friends's Gryffindor scarf! (Thanks Shandeh!)

Now I just need to get some 16" circs! (Can we say a Knit Picks order is on the agenda?)

My friend will be back on Wednesday (she's been out of town for a month) and wants me to teach her to knit! WooHoo! (I'll be nice and make her the scarf anyway- I haven't knit in the round before, so it'll be a new challenge for me!)

(Still plugging away on the "boring" middle of the Dark Mark scarf!)

Shandeh
07-30-2007, 01:29 PM
You're welcome, my friend! :hug:

Good luck on knitting in the round! :thumbsup:

Duckling326
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Cute! I made that cloth as well but in red and white! Now I want to make a bigger illusion project!

Shandeh
07-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Here's the update on my Gryffindor Scarf:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1381/956770997_f324d981fe.jpg

Lady Violet
07-30-2007, 11:36 PM
:woot: lookin good, sandy!!!! :woot:

for some reason that scarf is reminding me of the cat in the hat. could it possibly be because i've spent the last three weeks helping out in a first grade classroom? naaah. :roflhard:

Shandeh
07-31-2007, 12:28 AM
:teehee:

When I work on it, I'm reminded of "Where's Waldo?"

gamerchik
07-31-2007, 06:50 AM
Ginny, Karen, Shandeh, Lady Violet (I hope I didn't forget anyone!!!)...your projects look fantastic!!! It's so much fun to check on this topic and see all of the cool HP knitting that is going on!!!

I haven't touched my needles in about a week; I had a tooth pulled last Thursday and have been feeling a bit under the weather. Sooo, I'm taking a bit of a knitting break, and then I'll get back to it (I tend to do things in spurts, lol). I did, however, manage to play and beat the HP game on the Xbox 360...sooo much fun!!!

*Hugs* to all; I'm so glad to have such an awesome group of people with which to share in all the HP goodness!

chrislt8
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
I know I'm a little late to the game, but may I join in?

I am knitting the Dark Mark Illusion Scarf for my BIL and like so many others missed the "K all RS rows" note on the chart (this is my first time knitting from a chart, so that is my excuse!). :roflhard: Started knitting chart 1, knew something was wrong, so frogged. Did it again - still wrong, frogged. And again - but after reading this thread (all 40 something pages), I now know what I SHOULD be doing, so will frog one more time :hair:

I am using Plymouth Encore for the black and KP Swish in Aloe for the green - it is a little more "neon" than the pattern calls for but I like the kind of "poisonious" look of the green for the dark mark...

All your projects are so nice...I am impressed!

BTW - I am knitting this for my BIL who is a bit fanatical about HP....but I am, too, a HUGE fan! Re-reading the last book now as I raced through the first read (got it Saurday and finished it Sunday!

Mariblue
07-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Welcome, Chrislt8! :waving:
Re-reading the last book now as I raced through the first read (got it Saurday and finished it Sunday!
I did this too! I'm re-reading it now. :teehee:

I've decided to put my own dark mark scarf on hold. I got about half way finished, and I love the look of the illusion in it, it's so awesome, but I just don't like the curling. :cry: I know I would never wear it. So...I'm gonna knit it in the round, which should take care of the curling. This means I will have to alter the pattern slightly, to get the garter stitch ridges, etc. I haven't currently got any decent circular needles in the right size, but my birthday is in a few months, and I'm planning on my husband getting me the options needle set from knitpicks. THEN, I will be able to knit up my dark mark scarf and actually be able to like it enough to wear it! :cheering: I hope. :teehee:

knitknut
07-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Welcome chrislt8! Don't worry, you will get the hang of the ways of the chart reading in no time.

Ginny & Shandeh your scarves are looking fantastic.

Here is my Dark Mark Scarf after Chart 2. I'm just about finished with the center part and then on to Chart 3. I think I finally impressed by DD. She couldn't believe how the image just pops out. It is for a friend of hers.

heather_dw
07-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Finished with hubby's scarf. he had me order a ravenclaw patch online to sew onto the bottom of it. (brat..lol)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heather_dw/knit_ravenclawlong.gif

Started this one for a friend: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heather_dw/knit_tkidwip.gif?t=1185925582

I didn't like how it looked in the flat ribbed pattern in the book, so I'm making it in a tube like the striped scarf.

IBAmyB
07-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Oh, I love the Dark Mark scarf with the darker green! (That's like the color I wanted to use by my sad little Wal-Mart didn't have it... :mad: ) Mine's going pretty well, just chugging away at the boring...um, I mean, relaxing, yeah, that's it.... middle section.

Off to Knit Picks to buy some 16" circs so I can start on my friend's Gryffindor scarf!

Mariblue
07-31-2007, 10:20 PM
Ooo, I like that darker green too, Knitknut!
IBAmyB, your scarf looks really great, and the one for your friend is looking good too!

Shandeh
07-31-2007, 10:33 PM
I wish we could put all the photos together to make a huge Harry Potter collage!

Everyone's knitting is beautiful! :inlove:

karendawn
08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Still working on the sweater, but I've also started a Ravenclaw scarf as a surprise for a friend. I'm making the POA style and in the Charmed Knits book it is knit flat in a 1x1 ribbing. I finished only 10 rows last night, but I'm not really liking it at all. I much prefer the look of the other version knit in the round.

So for those of you who have made the POA style scarf - how many have done the knit in the round and how many the flat ribbing? If you did knit in the round, did it take more than 3 balls of yarn for the main color and 1 for the stripe color? If so, I'll need to run back to the yarn store. (Because I'm 99% decided to frog what I have and begin again in the round without ribbing.)

knitknut
08-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Karendawn - that fact that you even considered doing a scarf in 1x1 rib is amazing. :notworthy: Especially while you are working on the quidditch sweater (which is looking fabulous BTW).

But to answer your question, when I made DD's scarf, I used Caron SS 4 oz skeins. The contrasting color was less than 1 skein and I think I used 5 skeins of the main color. It was 2 years ago. I did 100 stitches around instead of the 90 that is recommended at http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/azkaban/pattern.shtml, so after 597 rows that might and up to a whole skein. It does make one big heavy scarf! But it is coooooolllll.

heather_dw
08-01-2007, 12:47 PM
umm,... I think I messed up my friend's ravenclaw POA scarf. The grey bars seem to be too far apart, don't they?

Should I start over or just keep doing it this way?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heather_dw/knit_tkidwip2.gif

knitknut
08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
I can't count the rows, but it looks good to me. 27/3/5/3/27/3/5/3/27/3/5/3/27 in what seems like forever. Pretty colors

heather_dw
08-01-2007, 02:58 PM
I guess I wasn't thinking and was doing 30/2/4/2/30

Do you think it's that big of a deal?

I guess I could frog it back to row 27 before the last set of stripes and then go forward with 27/2/4/2/27 and then when I get to the last blue stripe, do 30. That would make it all match at least.

**edit**
that's what I'm going to do

gamerchik
08-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Knitknut, what yard did you use on that Slytherin scarf? It's just gorgeous!

knitknut
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
:aww: Shucks, thanks. It is Caron Simply Soft, Dark Sage Green and Silver.

karendawn
08-01-2007, 08:15 PM
I guess when I asked about how many balls of yarn, I should have been specific about what yarn I'm using. *grin* I'm using Cascade 220 superwash (so it has 220 yards per ball - the pattern calls for regular Cascade 220, but I wanted to use the superwash).

I'm also doing the narrower scarf (again following out of the Charmed Knits book), so I cast on 57 stitches (I did frog the 1x1 ribbing and I'm doing just stockinette in the round now). The pattern (to answer the question heather posed about the distance apart of the stripes) says to do 20 rows blue, 2 rows grey, 4 rows blue, 2 rows grey, 20 rows blue, etc.

I guess I'll just keep knitting and only get more yarn if I run out. My yarn store owner has been super about keeping the Harry Potter colors and yarns in stock, so it wouldn't be a problem to pick up more later if need be. Thanks for your replies!

Shandeh
08-01-2007, 09:28 PM
knitknut, your scarf is BEAUTIFUL! :heart:

heather_dw
08-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I think I'm becoming a yarn snob XD
I used to use just regular Red Heart for everything, since we have no yarn stores here and I probably couldn't afford yarn in them even if we did. I did Hubby's ravenclaw scarf in Knitpicks Superwash Swish and boy I love that stuff. So soft and easy to work with. Now my friend who wants the PoA scarf I am doing has a serious price factor, so I bought Red heart but I don't like how it feels as I'm knitting. All stiff and not soft at all :-( I don't think there is anything I can do after it's done to make it any softer either. It really surprises me that they can't make a softer acrylic yarn. Or maybe it's just red heart's acrylic?
:??

Shandeh
08-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I think I'm becoming a yarn snob XD
I used to use just regular Red Heart for everything, since we have no yarn stores here and I probably couldn't afford yarn in them even if we did. I did Hubby's ravenclaw scarf in Knitpicks Superwash Swish and boy I love that stuff. So soft and easy to work with. Now my friend who wants the PoA scarf I am doing has a serious price factor, so I bought Red heart but I don't like how it feels as I'm knitting. All stiff and not soft at all :-( I don't think there is anything I can do after it's done to make it any softer either. It really surprises me that they can't make a softer acrylic yarn. Or maybe it's just red heart's acrylic?
:??

It's just Super Saver (it's cheap for a reason). If you're looking for a soft acrylic, try Red Heart Soft Yarn or Caron Simply Soft. There are some other soft acrylics as well. Just keep looking. :wink:

I've heard that if you wash the finished product after knitting with Super Saver, it will get softer.

Mariblue
08-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I've heard that if you wash the finished product after knitting with Super Saver, it will get softer.
It does get a lot softer. However, I still can't wear it as a scarf even after it's been washed, I've tried. I wore a scarf I crocheted to the store, and 5 minutes in, I tore it off my neck, I couldn't stand it! It's a pretty scarf, too:pout:. But I've got pretty sensitive skin. I love red heart for blankets, though.

heather_dw
08-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Once it's finished I'll try washing it. Maybe some fabric softener would help too? XD

I wish he would have ponied up the cash for some soft wool/wool blend
:tap:

Lady Violet
08-02-2007, 04:36 PM
rosemary waits (http://www.rosemarywaits.com/), an incredibly talented knitter/designer (who also came up with the fred and george socks, weasley ipod cozy, phineas socks, and wendelin socks), just posted this absolutely incredibly gorgeous fair isle house bag (http://www.rosemarywaits.com/patterns/HouseBags.pdf). i am totally in love with this thing! let's see, i'll be making one for me, one for each of my two HP friends, hmm... anybody else want to throw in some names? :roflhard: :roflhard:

can you tell this bag has got me just a teensy bit excited? :eyes:

Mariblue
08-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Lady Violet, those are awesome! :cheering:

gamerchik
08-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Make one for me, too, Lady Violet!!! lol :yay::yay::yay:

chrislt8
08-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Well, I'm almost through Chart 2 on the Dark Mark Illusion Scarf - this is so much fun to knit! Once I finish the chart I will post a picture of the WIP...

I promised a "Ron hat" to the same BIL I am making this for...any suggestions for patterns? It will be my first hat (other than a baby bonnet), so nothing too complicated - don't know how that promise slipped out of my mouth :eyes:

Mariblue
08-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I had a family reunion this week, so haven't gotten too far on the Slytherin Socks, but thought I'd post a pic anyway.
Here ya go!

rachejm
08-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Got back from my holiday yesterday and went to buy the wool for my gryffindor scarf today, not sure bout the gold/yellow colour but thought I may as well try it as not since it was cheap. I need to start shopping online, I struggle to find the right wool in the UK, they closed the wool shop near me so I have to travel quite a way to find anything and even then they don't have quite what I want! Does anyone else have this problem or is it just where I live? Hobbycraft used to have quite a bit but I went there today and the selection wasn't good. I still don't have the right needle so am planning to raid my nan's collection and see what she has, if she doesn't have it I have another shop I can try in the week and see what I can get. Failing that I'll go online and see what I can get that won't cost the earth in postage. If you know a good site let me know!

Everyone's projects are looking great by the way.

chrislt8
08-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, here are pics of my Dark Mark Scarf WIP...just knitting away at the background now until I can start Chart 3...
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1208/1018856329_0528f3c236_m.jpghttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1431/1018854799_7218039fe9_m.jpg

rachejm
08-05-2007, 04:18 PM
chrislt8 - that looks so cool!

I've been wanting to do the Dark Mark Scarf for ages but I was a bit scared to do it cos I'm fairly new at this so I thought I'd to the Gryffindor one first as it seemed easier. I bought the wool for the Dark Mark tho, just in case I felt brave enough. I also have the needles, which is more than i can say for the Gryffindor scarf, so now that I've seen your picture I may have a go myself and see how it turns out...should be ok til the pattern starts, then I may have problems...but I guess the worst that can happen is I go wrong and have to frog it right?:think:

chrislt8
08-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Rachejm - go for it! This is a VERY easy pattern - just knits and purls. I think the trick is to knit it at a fairly tight guage (I went down 2-3 needle sizes from that recommended on the yarn). The only difficulty I had (had to frog and restart about 3 times) was missing on the charts that you KNIT ALL RS rows, then use the chart key for the WS rows. Once I got beyond that (and yes, the pattern did say that but I just missed it) it just flew together. Oh yeah, and you carry to second color up the sides - so just remember not to pull it to tight...

Don't be afraid of the charts either - this was my first time knitting from a chart and it was easy (actually, I think I like it better than the written out instructions - but I'll save that judgement until I've used one for a more complicated pattern :think:)

Start it - there is plenty of help here if you need to ask questions!

Phaedra
08-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone.
I purchased 4 skeins of WOTA in the new fall shade Iris Heather, some dpns, needle points and cables.
Got my order this past Friday, and have just finished felting my : "Hermione-beaded Booga Bag". :happydance: It's now drying outside, along with the handle and a pocket I made. I took the free pattern http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html and the textured berry stitch from Nicky Epstein's book Knitting Never Felt Better and went at it. It took most of the 4 skeins, with just a bit left over to sew in the pocket.:pray: I wasn't sure how everthing would shrink, so I decided to attach the pocket afterwards.
Hope to post pictures soon.
This is my first time attempting to "felt", and I'm pretty happy. Nicky Epstein's book was a library find----I must buy this!

Mariblue
08-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Pheadra, I look forward to seeing pictures!
Crislt8, your scarf is looking awesome!

redmom37
08-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm making the dark mark scarf & it is very easy!.

Lady Violet
08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Well, here's my Hufflepuff scarf! I'm so happy it's done. Not only did it take so long, it's also my first FO in a while. I'm really happy with how it came out.

The yarn I used was Caron Perfect Match.

PCwombat, what color did you use for the yellow? i can only find the - well, now that i want the ballband, i can't find it! it's either goldenrod or sunflower. it's more like a golden yellow. i actually got some for Gryffindor. maybe it's just me, but it would seem kind of strange to use the same yellow for both houses. :teehee:

Phaedra
08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Here's my Hermione "beaded" Booga Bag.
I used 4 skeins of WOTA--Iris Heather, and had just enough left over to sew in a pocket.
I started Friday eve and it was drying Sunday afternoon. Now to find a button--silver otter image:think:?--- and maybe reinforce the bottom with fabric covered plastic canvas. I chose to sew in the pocket after felting, 'cause I wasn't sure how any of it would turn out.
Shandeh, thank you so much for this thread. I would not have attempted this beforehand, and now I LOVE shrinking some yarn!! :)

Phaedra
08-06-2007, 08:09 PM
I was curious, so I grabbed the HP books.
42307 Yup, it's big enough.

Lady Violet
08-06-2007, 08:35 PM
I was curious, so I grabbed the HP books.
42307 Yup, it's big enough.

:roflhard::roflhard:
i said it before, and i'll say it again. that bag is some kind of AWESOME!!! it reminds me of the color of the inside of your lips after you eat a grape ice pop. i've been eating a lot of those lately, so i should know. :teehee:

does anyone know where the chart of snape's face is floating around in cyberspace? i thought it was in the yahoo group, but i didn't see it. i tried googling it, but the first few results i looked at made it obvious that i don't want to find it that way until AFTER i read DH. :doh: i made the mistake of telling a friend about the chart and now she wants snape's face. i don't think she's that picky about what she gets it on. she just wants it. i have strange friends. well, at least i got 'em! cloud9

Mariblue
08-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Pheadra, your bag is Awesome! :cheering:

kahluakiggy
08-07-2007, 07:19 AM
does anyone know where the chart of snape's face is floating around in cyberspace? i thought it was in the yahoo group, but i didn't see it.
It had been in the Yahoo group - but you can find it here:
http://www.geocities.com/quibblerscribbler/graph_snape.html

Or if that's not the one you're looking for, here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarryPotterCrafts/files/Patterns/
The lapghan pattern is under the name stenciltwo.pdf, second from the bottom.

Lady Violet
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
thank you soooooo much! :muah:
that second one was the one i was looking for. i actually found the other one last night when i wasn't even looking for it. i'm just going to pick one and do it. if i show her both of them, she'll want them both, so that's not going to happen until i'm ready to knit them!

PCwombat
08-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Lady Violet, the yellow I used is Sunflower. :)

knitknut
08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Mariblue - love your socks!! What yarn are you using?

Phaedra - great purse! Pretty slick the way you put in the pocket.

Lady V - The house bags are awesome. Thanks for posting that pattern. I gotta make one or several! I think I'll alter the pattern at little bit though. More on that later.

Yeah! I finished my Dark Mark Scarf! I had to lighten the pic a bit. The green is more of an emeraldy, foresty color. Looks pretty good against the black. I can't wait to give it to my daughters friend. She will be so surprised. Be honest - do you think I should make the fringe thicker or longer? I never know.

Mariblue
08-07-2007, 03:34 PM
I love the scarf, knitknut! I like the fringe!
I'm using knitpicks essentials yarn for the socks. :hug:

knitknut
08-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Hmmmm, I just happen to be on KP website placing an order right now. Would that be 2 of pine and 1 of ash?

Mariblue
08-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Hmmmm, I just happen to be on KP website placing an order right now. Would that be 2 of pine and 1 of ash?
Yep!

Phaedra
08-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Be honest - do you think I should make the fringe thicker or longer? I never know.

Congratulations! The fringe looks just fine. I called my DH in to see it. I'd like to make one for him (and me); he's also a great HP fan.
I'm sorry if I missed your post of the yarn type. What brand did you use? The darker shade of green is really great.

kahluakiggy
08-07-2007, 09:49 PM
thank you soooooo much! :muah:
that second one was the one i was looking for. i actually found the other one last night when i wasn't even looking for it. i'm just going to pick one and do it. if i show her both of them, she'll want them both, so that's not going to happen until i'm ready to knit them!
Anytime! I'm a big Snape fan myself. :thumbsup:

heather_dw
08-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Finally sewed the patch on hubby's scarf. He demanded that he get a picture of it.

He's a nerd!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heather_dw/brian_ravenclawscarfsm.gif

beckyrhae
08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Finally sewed the patch on hubby's scarf. He demanded that he get a picture of it.

He's a nerd!

Yay for nerdy hubbies! Looks great!

Mariblue
08-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Your scarf looks great, heather_dw, I love the ravenclaw patch!

LeslieRR
08-08-2007, 04:37 PM
That's a great scarf!

rachejm
08-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Both of those scarves look really good.

I tried the dark mark scarf but came to the conclusion I needed some thicker wool. Incidentally I have now found a UK website that stocks Cascade 220 so I thought I'd order some. The wool I have should be alright for the Gryffindor scarf tho, which I should be starting soon as I now have the circular needle.

knitknut
08-09-2007, 01:18 PM
heather_dw - the Ravenclaw scarf is great, love the patch addition. It looks like a perfect match.

Well, I gave the Dark Mark Scarf to my daughter's friend and she absolutely loved it. Another of her friends said he would like one in Griffindor colors. Always the unexpected with that guy! I think it would be hilarious to make one in pink and black. DD said it could be for Umbridge. Hee, hee! Anyway, I used Lion Brand Chunky USA National Parks Green and Black. Size 10 needles. It measures 9.5 inches wide and 98 inches long before the fringe. It's a big one!

beckyrhae
08-09-2007, 09:14 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarryPotterCrafts/files/Patterns/

I love this... is there a pattern to go along with it? Or do you just use the chart however you wish?

Lady Violet
08-09-2007, 09:44 PM
was there one in particular you were wondering about?
some of them i believe are actual patterns, but the charts you can pretty much use for anything. although you may have to tweek it according to yarn, size of finished object, etc.

beckyrhae
08-09-2007, 10:23 PM
The Snape chart that is for a lapghan I guess but not sure what kind of yarn or size needle.

Lady Violet
08-09-2007, 10:37 PM
oh. that's the one i was hoping to put on a bag for a friend. :teehee:
i couldn't find it for a while and i was getting all excited about putting snape's face on a bag. then kahluakiggy showed me where it was a pages back. i don't know how i would alter that to put it on a bag. i've never done ANYTHING like that before, so i don't even know where to start if i did want to attempt it. i'm planning on making her the HP fair isle bag for christmas, so i'm not too worried about it. maybe if i start the lapghan now, she'll have it for graduation in two years! :p

beckyrhae
08-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I think I'll shop around for some yarn... maybe I will shop around for some cheap yarn to try it. I'm thinking Black and maybe a silverish, light grey.

Looking at the chart you have to CO at least 120 I think... is that what you see too?

Lady Violet
08-09-2007, 10:57 PM
looks like it.
i just checked out the website on the bottom of the chart, and they have a program you can use to turn pictures into charts. they're down now while they change servers, but i will definitely be checking daily until it's back up.

beckyrhae
08-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah... Microrevolt is amazing. (thank you Ingrid!) I'm using that program to make the charts for my NFL Fauxhawk hats. Figures it would go down just as I was ready to get started. :)