PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Knit-Along

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shandeh
05-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Since the final chapter in the Harry Potter story is soon being released, some of us have been thinking it would be cool to do a themed knit-along to enhance the experience!

There are lots of Harry Potter style patterns available online, so just pick a pattern and knit-along!

Aquaria sparked our interest with this cute little pattern:
Harry Potter Bookscarf (bookmark) (http://knittingwithlaura.blog-city.com/harry_potter_bookscarf_pattern.htm)

There are several other patterns linked here:
http://www.costumebeginner.com/malkins/general/knitpat.htm

Anyone want to join our KAL?

beckyrhae
05-29-2007, 11:45 PM
ahhhh!!! I just picked up Charmed Knits... not sure what I'm going to knit for the movie, but it better be something quick!

LeslieRR
05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't have the book, but I might be able to have my arm twisted to make a Griffindor Illusion scarf!

When would the KAL start?

newamy
05-30-2007, 02:46 PM
There already is a Charmed Knits Knit a long- making the HP hats for Warm Woollies is the general goal. http://charmedknits.blogspot.com/
I haven't signed up to participate.. I don't have the right colored yarn! I do have the book Charmed Knits and am heavily leaning toward the Weasly Sweater- only I'd make a purple version for me- and do I really want a big H on my chest??? Decsions, decsions....

mks22300
05-30-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking the bookscarves are what I will make. My Charmed Knits came today! :cheering:

melaniedc
05-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Oh! I'm in! I joined the Charmed Knits KAL, but I want to knit more than just hats! I'm going to do the Invisibility Shawl first, then some sweaters for the fall.

:D

DoulaLyndsey
05-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm in! :cheering:. I'm currently knitting the hip house scarf and I'd like to make the house sweater, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it before the premiere. I've also knit all four house scarves. :thumbsup:

Aquaria
05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
I'll join!:cheering: If I manage to find the right coloured yarns :)

Emeraldcutie
05-30-2007, 07:39 PM
I think I will also join in, Thanks for the links, I want to get Charmed Knits just to knit hedwig..lol

mks22300
05-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I went and ordered my thread to make the bookscarves and I think my teeny tiny needles are already on the way. :teehee:

debinoz
05-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Just a hint to anyone making the bookscarves.... before closing the last end, they'll hold their shape better if you insert a piece of posterboard or something. Otherwise they're a little on the floppy side. I actually used a piece of a plastic bookmark I'd gotten at one of the kids' school book fairs.

Shandeh
05-31-2007, 12:36 AM
Break out your wands!!! (cough) I mean....KNITTING NEEDLES!
The Harry Potter Knit Along has BEGUN!!! :cheering:

I'm still debating which item I'm gonna make, but I'm leaning toward the bookscarf, because I already have everything I need for that. :thumbsup: I may end up making several to use as gifts for our kids. They are all Harry Potter fans.

Anyone want to make a button for our KAL?

LeslieRR
05-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Sorry to sound horribly dumb... but what is a KAL button?

mks22300
05-31-2007, 07:11 PM
I love it!

DoulaLyndsey
05-31-2007, 09:56 PM
That looks great, thanks Brooke!! :muah:

amishgirl281
05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
So, quick question, in order to participate in the knit along, do you have to do a project from charmed knits? I have yet to order the book (though I'm currently saving my pennies for it :) )

Shandeh
05-31-2007, 11:56 PM
So, quick question, in order to participate in the knit along, do you have to do a project from charmed knits? I have yet to order the book (though I'm currently saving my pennies for it :) )
The answer is NO....you can use ANY Harry Potter themed pattern you can find. :hug:

Shandeh
06-01-2007, 12:18 AM
BrookMctirre, I LOVE your HP KAL button. I played around with it a bit on my computer, and added some knitting needles. :teehee:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/524386917_30088d80ca_o.jpg

Teeka
06-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Since the final chapter in the Harry Potter story is soon being released, some of us have been thinking it would be cool to do a themed knit-along to enhance the experience!

There are lots of Harry Potter style patterns available online, so just pick a pattern and knit-along!

Aquaria sparked our interest with this cute little pattern:
Harry Potter Bookscarf (bookmark) (http://knittingwithlaura.blog-city.com/harry_potter_bookscarf_pattern.htm)

There are several other patterns linked here:
http://www.costumebeginner.com/malkins/general/knitpat.htm

Anyone want to join our KAL?
I love this idea of the bookmark. My two nieces are original Harry Potter fans, and I've read the books along with them. I'd love to make them each a bookmark to go with this new book (they'll have to buy two since neither will be able to wait for the other to finish it before starting, and they fight horribly when they try to read it in shifts!).

I'll need to get yarn :woot: but imagine I can make several from a ball of each color, no?

Anyone else going to make this?

P.S. I read more of the thread, and I'd be in on a few hats too! That might mean more yarn purchases though... And probably some needles too! :cheering:

LeslieRR
06-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Love the button...now I just have to learn how to put it in my signature!

Today I bought my yarn for the gryffindor illusion scarf, printed the pattern, and I will (hopefully) cast on tonight.

mks22300
06-01-2007, 07:27 PM
How do you add the button? :shrug:

itsjustmeghan
06-01-2007, 11:04 PM
i'm in!
i'll have to squeeze this in somewhere inbetween all of my other projects, but i LOVE the books and i am loving the most recent HP movies as well. I have my new book all preordered, so it's set to be delivered to the house the morning it comes out! yeah!!!:cheering:

i'll probably just do a book scarf...i hope i have the right colors...
i haven't heard of the charmed knits book, so i'm off to check that out! yeah!!!

Shandeh
06-02-2007, 01:37 AM
You guys can use my button if you want. It's on my Flickr account.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/524386917_c6f4f3fa03_m.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/524386917_c6f4f3fa03_m.jpg

amishgirl281
06-02-2007, 12:33 PM
The answer is NO....you can use ANY Harry Potter themed pattern you can find. :hug:

Oy, then you can count me in :)

I've been having some trouble finding stuff to knit for my friends and I for the premier since scarfs are pretty much out of the question. July in Texas, no bueno. So I was thinking perhaps some fingerless gloves in Slytherin colors. And maybe a Gryffindor pair for my friend.

Anyone have any other HP knitting ideas for a poor girl in Texas afraid of the heat?

LeslieRR
06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Thank you Shandeh and BrookMcTirre for the help with the button.

I haven't yet cast on, but hopefully today. It's difficult with the baby to get anything done! Especially knit, when all he wants is to be held :-)

I am still planning on making the Griffyndor Illusion scarf.

Amishgirl281, you could make a bookmark like some of the others. Or what about some kind of hat?

hydeemarie
06-05-2007, 08:40 AM
I was at Joanns using my graduation gift card and i picked up skeins of Wool-ease to do the Lion Brand version of the HP Gryffandor scarf. I can't wait!! It may be a graduation pres for someone else... or I might just keep it! :thumbsup:
**EDIT: Notice how I cannot spell! Gryffandor

NinaS
06-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I just ordered the Charmed Knits book, but count me in! :)

mks22300
06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
My needles to make the bookscarves arrived yesterday, now all I need is the thread which should be here in a few days. :cheering:

Teeka
06-07-2007, 09:58 AM
So, I'm here in Bogotá, which is a HUGE sprawling city with its share of traffic problems. I'd been wanting to get to the yarn store for over a week. Last Wednesday (not yesterday), we were going to go; DH thought there was a store in a shopping center on the way home from DS's swimming class. Well, they had like twenty skeins of yarn, all in multi-dyed colors (I'm not sure what it's called; when you knit, a pattern emerges). So no go. Monday I convince DS to walk with me to the yarn store I got the yarn for his blanket from. It's a nice one, but focuses mainly on needlepoint, so their knitting yarn is fairly limited. They didn't have the HP house colors I wanted, so no go. Finally, yesterday, I once again convinced family to go to the store w/ me. We drove to the "good" LYS this time, though DH had a drop me off b/c he had an appointment to go to. So DS and I go shopping. I found all sorts of wonderful yarns in the perfect colors for two HP hats and several bookscarves. Plus they had needles in the sizes I needed for the bookscarves. Yea! :cheering:

Here comes the sob part. So I go up to the register to pay only to discover that they are a "cash only" store. Of course I don't have cash and DH has my ATM card (long boring story). So. I. can't. buy. the. yarn. :thud:

My son put it nicely, "so we did all this for nothing?" I was only able to buy two balls of cotton thread/yarn for the bookscarves because I had to save cash for the taxi home.

Oh well. At least I'm starting the bookscarves. And I guess I saved myself $96,469.00 pesos! (about $50 US dollars)

Teeka
06-07-2007, 10:04 AM
First: So I'm working on the bookscarf. The pattern says to do a provisional cast on, but after over an hour of wrestling with size 1 DPNs I gave up. So I moved to a 3mm circular needle, intending to do magic loop, but in my joy at being able to actually handle the needle I forgot to do the provisional cast on. :doh:

Do you think it matters? I'm thinking I can just sew up the bottom edge and add the tassles and it won't be noticeable. What do you think?

Second: How in the world does one manipulate size 0 (what the pattern calls for) or 1 dpns? I just couldn't do it. My fingers are too big! Is there a trick to it I should know about?

kahluakiggy
06-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I think I'll join - I just bought Charmed Knits and I have a big day planned on the 20th! lol I can't start till after the weekend, though. I'd like to do the Mrs Weasley housecoat, but I know I would never finish, so I'm thinking of doing a bookscarf for my son, then the Dobby socks.

Ayla
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
I am in currently making a scarf...is there anyone who can send the pattern for the invisibility shawl?? If not totally understandble but i am very tight on funds right now....anyway hope things are well!

kahluakiggy
06-08-2007, 09:59 AM
I have trouble with size 3 DPN's - I can't imagine doing something with 0's.

Teeka
06-08-2007, 11:11 AM
I know! They are ridiculously small, as if made for little bees.

I'm thinking of frogging my bookscarf and starting over knitting it flat. It's so small that the join sides (I'm doing magic loop) are getting really stretched out. It's going to look b-a-d, I think. DH has the camera or I'd post a picture. I'm only about 20 rows into it and it will go really fast knitting it flat.

I'm curious: anyone else who is knitting the bookscarf, are you doing it flat or in the round?

mks22300
06-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I just started the Ravenclaw version of the bookscarf last night. I don't like using dpn's so I'm using 2 circs in size 0. I have small hands, so I'm not having any problems with using the needles. The only problem I've had is winding up the thread. I ruined one last night by getting it into a great knotty mess. Any suggestions on how to wind thread without creating a great knotty mess? :teehee:

Ayla
06-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Totally understandable I just thought I would ask. I talked to my boyfriend and he is supposedly getting charmed knits for me today at barnes and noble. Yay!!
Anyway I am 6 rows into the second big strip( you know the 27 one because I am making the poa scarf) and was wondering if I should make it the full length or if I could do something else. I know in the end the decision is up to me but my boyfriend wants it at least 6 ft and I know the scarf is longer then that and I have made a 6 foot one before(he saw me knitting on that scarf and asked for one)anyway when I make them 6 feet I feel like I am doing something wrong like I am " cheating" on the pattern by not finishing the scarf the way the pattern was written. Anyone else feel this way?
As far as knitting on small needles yeah it is a pain. I have made flat book mars and round ones and seriously flat ones take less time. But if you want to knit the bookmark in the round you could always use dpn's yes I know dpn's sound evil I didn't care for them at all until I tried them but it is a suggestion you could try. Anyway I hope that I have helped.

Ayla
06-09-2007, 11:02 AM
mks22300 what kind if thread is it? If crochet thread then just wind it kinda like you would a skein. Except of course that it will roll around and move then you have to wind slowly. If it is just "regular" yarn you could have someone hold it for you or use the back a chair or if small enough use a bowl to set it in and when wind slowly. If you wind too fast I have experienced that yes it will knot up. I hope that I have helped you.

Teeka
06-09-2007, 11:50 AM
I just started the Ravenclaw version of the bookscarf last night. I don't like using dpn's so I'm using 2 circs in size 0. I have small hands, so I'm not having any problems with using the needles. The only problem I've had is winding up the thread. I ruined one last night by getting it into a great knotty mess. Any suggestions on how to wind thread without creating a great knotty mess? :teehee:
My thread/yarn was in a ball to start with and I've just kept it there, fairly tightly wound. When I was wrestling with the provisional cast on (which I abandoned eventually) I ended up with several knots that I just had to cut.

My MIL is trying to teach me to crochet, but I think it's going to be a "no-go;" my hands just aren't able to handle the tiny yarn/floss.

Teeka
06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I thought this bookscarf was going to be a breeze, but I was very wrong. It's not technically difficult, but the smallness of it all I'm finding very tough. I've just had to tink rows and rows and rows because when I frogged last time I lost everything and had to start over. So I'm back to the beginning again, like row 9. :ick:

I almost want to quit trying to make it, excpet that I think my nieces would be so thrilled to receive a bookscarf, should I actually be able to produce them.

Shandeh
06-10-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm sorry that some of you are frustrated with your bookscarves!
:pout:

mks22300
06-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I haven't tried those socks yet Brook, but they are definitely on my to do list. My bookscarf is coming along nicely. :grin:

Shandeh
06-10-2007, 08:21 PM
That Tofutsies sock yarn is so cool!

Shandeh
06-11-2007, 12:19 AM
I have finally chosen a Harry Potter pattern I will definitely make.

Just your standard Gryffindor scarf.....for my hubby.
http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/scarves/wizard-scarf-1.htm

Teeka
06-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm sorry that some of you are frustrated with your bookscarves!
:pout:
Thanks. I'm still mulling over what to do with it or instead. "Instead" involves getting yarn (see above sob story), which isn't bad but just delays everything even more. I sound cranky, but I don't mean too! I was looking forward to these cute little bookmarks that seemed so straightforward.

Duckling326
06-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Ok joining in, I have started the Horcrux socks and almost finished with one sock. I'm making it with hand-dyed DK weight merino wool from my LYS(hand-dyed by the shop owner), oh and it is a nice red!

Shandeh
06-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Welcome, Duckling326! :hug:
Your socks sound beautiful!

Shandeh
06-12-2007, 10:25 PM
I just found a cool pattern for a Slytherin iPod Cozy!
http://community.livejournal.com/weasleysweaters/43554.html

Lady Violet
06-12-2007, 11:15 PM
i'm totally going to have to make that! i have the dpns and a slew of red heart. i may even have green. but alas, no silver. thanks sandy!!! :muah:

Shandeh
06-13-2007, 03:05 AM
I'm glad you like it! :hug:

Teeka
06-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Sorry to be such a vocal whiner! I'm trying to seam my bookscarf (photo coming soon!) and I am having a difficult time seeing and finding the bits to sew together using matress stitch. I think I just need patience and more patience. It's exciting to be so close to being finished! I think I'll make a second one but knit it flat in 1x1 ribbing so I don't have this seam issue again.

How's everyone else's projects going?

Duckling326
06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
I finished my socks yesterday, turned out great! I will try to post a picture soon, I need to charge the batteries for my camera.

LeslieRR
06-13-2007, 11:47 AM
I have begun work on my scarf and have a few rows done. Unfortunately I get sidetracked by the baby!

Shandeh
06-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I've been busy working on things for the Dulaan project, but I'll get to work on mine VERY soon. :wink:

Wicked Knitter Girl
06-13-2007, 05:05 PM
I will goin. If you like at my signature you can see what I'm working on first and then I want to make tons of little scarf bookmarks and then I want to make the Dark Mark Illusions scarf. I'll post pics when I finish!

-Wicked Knitter Girl

ADAllen
06-13-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't know if you guys have seen this yet or not, but I just found it and had to share it with someone. It's a Dark Mark Bag (http://www.freewebs.com/theloveplant/knitting/darkmarkbag.html). I am definitely adding this to the list of things I want to make.

Duckling326
06-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Duckling326- How easy did you find the pattern to knit?
Brook

I didn't have any trouble with the pattern. Normally I make socks with 4 DPN and not all 5. But for the pattern, it helped to use the 5.

PCwombat
06-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Ooo! The perfect thread for me!

I decided that I wanna go all out a bit for the movie, so I decided that I'm going to make my friend a Hufflepuff scarf and myself a Slytherin scarf. And, then, I decided my other friend needs a Gryffindor beanie.

Well, I'm almost done the 'Puff scarf! Only two more pattern repeats! (70 rows, which is about 5 or so hours of work.) And, then, my goal is to get my Slytherin scarf done by the 9th, giving me at least two days for the beanie.

Yes, I know I'm rather insane. :)

mks22300
06-15-2007, 06:57 PM
I finished my Ravenclaw bookscarf the other day, just need to add the fringe. I want to start a Gryffindor one, but first I need to get the gold coloured thread. Silly me, when I ordered all the rest of the colours, I somehow overlooked that particular colour! :doh:Hopefully my Michael's or AC Moore will have it.

photogirl72
06-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I am so in on this!!!! I've got my yarn in andean silk, now I just need to start. I'm going to do the Gryphindor house scarf. I want in done in time for the movie. It may be 110 outside when the movie is released, but I'm still going to wear it!!!!!

PCwombat
06-16-2007, 04:13 PM
I can't wait to post pics of my scarf! Right now, it's in the dryer. So, all I need to do next is bind off/sew up the other end, and add fringe. Pics should be up tonight!

photogirl72, I know what you mean about the temperature. It's a good thing the release is at midnight. :)

Teeka
06-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, I finished the bookscarf that was giving me such trouble and then did a smart thing: I bought straight size 0 needles. They work! I was trying to use size 1 dpns and just couldn't manipulate them at all; then I tried a 3mm circular. That was what spawned the completed one below. I think it's going to have to be a scarf for a doll or a bear. It's just way too big and thick to work as a book mark. BUT, the work in progress, also pictured w/ it's older and bigger sister, looks like it will work great. I discovered that I'm in the habit of resting the end of the left needle against my leg when I knit, and not being able to do so w/ the dpns and the circular made it impossible to use (considering they were so small). Since the straights can rest on my leg, I can use them just fine. Phew!

(pause) I can't get the pictures to upload. I'll try later I guess!

PCwombat
06-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, here's my Hufflepuff scarf! I'm so happy it's done. Not only did it take so long, it's also my first FO in a while. I'm really happy with how it came out.

The yarn I used was Caron Perfect Match.

Duckling326
06-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Here is my Horcrux socks!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Duckling326/IM000380.jpg

Shandeh
06-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Love the scarf and socks! :heart:

Today, I had to go buy burgundy colored yarn for my Gryffindor scarf, because I didn't have any in my stash! I was shocked.

Duckling326
06-18-2007, 11:17 PM
:noway:What nothing in your stash!!:noway:

Shandeh
06-19-2007, 12:20 AM
:noway:What nothing in your stash!!:noway:

I know! I was amazed!
I guess I've just never bought that color before. :shrug:

misstialouise
06-19-2007, 04:49 AM
I think I need to put my sweater down and pull my HP Gryffindor scarf yarn out....... hmmmmm...

UnspeakableJoy
06-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm a little late in the KAL - I finished a HP CoS scarf in February, and am gearing up to start the HP POA scarf.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/IMG_1224.jpg

We're heading to Chicago on Tuesday the 26th to see the Knight Bus!! You can get more info on Scholastic.com (http://www.scholastic.com) to see if it's heading to your town! My boy is SO excited, but my girl is bummed - you had to be at least 8 to sign up (she's 6.5).

UnspeakableJoy
06-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Beautiful job, Duckling!

LeslieRR
06-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Love the socks - were they difficult to knit?

The scarves are fantastic!

I have only a few inches done of the Gryffindor Illusion scarf (I got waylaid by a birthday gift for my mom). I must get cracking on it.

Duckling326
06-20-2007, 11:39 AM
The socks easy! (ha but I say that about most of my projects and it drives this newbie knitter insane)

One thing I do recomend knitting them using all five DPN, this helps for the pattern part. I wish there was a child size pattern of this.

Well there's my HP KAL. No time to make a scarf but I am thinking of making the mini scarf.

Right now I need to finish up a sundress(for a 2 y/o girl) and make another dent in the lapghan(for my MIL).

mks22300
06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I love everyone's FO's. I really need to add the fringe to my bookscarf, but I've been busy with lots of other things at the moment.

Shandeh
06-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Okay....Okay....I'm officially in now.

Tonight, I FINALLY cast on the Harry Potter scarf.
:teehee:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1029/578499299_e2fbcb3e61.jpg

Duckling326
06-21-2007, 12:35 AM
great colors Shandeh! Maybe this winter I'll get around to making a scarf. Right now I don't know if I want to make a scarf in the round......

OK off to read book 5 some more!

MFuentes
06-21-2007, 02:45 AM
Shandeh- What colors/ yarn did you pick?

Thanks!

UnspeakableJoy
06-21-2007, 06:37 AM
Leslie - may I ask where did you find the Gryffindor Illusion scarf pattern? I have the Dark Mark Illusion pattern, and will be picking up Charmed Knits tomorrow (payday :woot:), but don't recall seeing it in Charmed Knits?

I'm at my first color change of my PoA scarf, but may start the Dark Mark scarf too as I'm itching to try that one! :teehee:

Have a wonderful day everyone!

LeslieRR
06-21-2007, 08:31 AM
The Gryffindor Illusion scarf comes from the Harry Potter Craft Yahoo Group. (It's one of the reasons why I signed up for the group, because I had read about the pattern there). You can sign up here. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarryPotterCrafts/

There's a Ravenclaw Illusion scarf pattern that I came across as well. And a Hedwig Illusion dishcloth.

I love the whole concept of Illusion knitting. It's absolutely fascinating.

Now if only there was more time to knit!

UnspeakableJoy
06-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Thank you Leslie! I'm off to join the group right now. :woohoo: I agree with you about finding time to knit! I've started bringing it with me everywhere I go! :teehee:

Shandeh - yes, your yarn is lovely! What type is it? I'm using Lion Wool-ease :)

Duckling326
06-21-2007, 11:29 AM
OHh I do want to try some illusion knitting! Is that Griffindor illusion in Charmed Knits?

UnspeakableJoy
06-21-2007, 11:50 AM
The Gryffindor Illusion scarf comes from the Harry Potter Craft Yahoo Group. (It's one of the reasons why I signed up for the group, because I had read about the pattern there). You can sign up here. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarryPotterCrafts/

Duckling, Leslie says you have to join this Yahoo group, and the pattern is listed there. I just joined, they have a small questionnaire for you to fill out, but it's all straightforward.

You can find the Dark Mark Illusion scarf on Storm Moon Knits' blog (http://thestormmoon.blogspot.com/2007/05/dark-mark-illusion-scarf-pattern.html).

I have to finish my girl's PoA scarf in time for the book release next month, but my fingers are simply itching to get started on the dark mark scarf! :teehee:

Teeka
06-21-2007, 12:29 PM
How do you upload pictures? I cannot figure this out. Do I have to have it online already? I'm almost done w/ the second bookscarf. It's very cute. :-)

Shandeh
06-21-2007, 12:40 PM
great colors Shandeh!
Thanks! :)

Shandeh- I'm happy you are finally able to start your scarf.
Me too.....Alert the media! :wink:

Shandeh- What colors/ yarn did you pick?
Thanks!
I'm using Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red.
and Malina Acrilan in Pineapple
(it's a very old yarn that's been in my stash FOREVER)

Shandeh - yes, your yarn is lovely! What type is it? I'm using Lion Wool-ease :)
They are both 100% acrylic. Cheap and Easy. :teehee:

How do you upload pictures? I cannot figure this out. Do I have to have it online already? I'm almost done w/ the second bookscarf. It's very cute. :-)
They don't have to already be online, but I prefer to use my Flickr account for my photos, just because it's easier.

If you use photos on your computer, click the little paper clip icon to attach them. But, your photo should be sized so that it will download. (I'm not sure what the requirements are.)

Mariblue
06-21-2007, 09:09 PM
I've read through this thread lately, and it looks fun, I'd love to join in! I'm going to be making the House Socks out of Charmed Knits. I plan on making socks for all four houses, so it'll be an ongoing project, since I'm also knitting other things. :teehee:

And for anyone interested in a good possibility for an alternative Invisibility Shawl Check out ContiKnitter's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=60520) post of some current works in progress. He's making a scarf for his grandmother and the pattern looks very similar to the Inivisibility Shawl in Charmed Knits. He was kind enough to share the stitch pattern. :hug:

Duckling326
06-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Ok I gave in and bought floss to make a bookscarf, and will be using toothpicks to knit it with lol

Alright decided not to make with toothpicks, as the floss kept snagging. So will go get the size ZERO needles on Saturday.

Shandeh
06-22-2007, 04:47 AM
Welcome, Mariblue! :hug:

UnspeakableJoy
06-22-2007, 06:21 AM
I'm off to a pretty good start ...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/IMG_2217.jpg

After I took the photo, I totally did a Homer Simpson :doh: I was so into the movie I was watching, that I switched the MC and CC stripe pattern - instead of 3 CC, 5MC, 3 CC, I did 5CC, 3 MC, 5 MC. :wall: I'll probably regret this in the end, but will not frog it, but keep going. I think I'll do 12 more with the correct pattern, then end with the botched one, so at least the ends of the scarf will match! :teehee:

Shandeh
06-22-2007, 06:29 AM
GORGEOUS! :inlove:

And I'm sure no one will notice the stripe difference.
So just let it be! :hug:

LeslieRR
06-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Just say that you planned it that way! And your progress looks great.

Lady Violet
06-22-2007, 09:32 AM
does anyone know of a pattern for a hufflepuff illusion scarf? i've seen the dark mark, ravenclaw, and gryffindor, but no hufflepuff. :think:

PCwombat
06-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Lady Violet, here's a sight with a bunch of illusion knitting links, including some of the Harry Potter ones already mentioned. There are also some tutorials I haven't looked at and a link to a sight with every letter charted out.

http://www.freshislefibers.com/Patterns/shadowknittinglinks.htm

CraftyGal
06-23-2007, 03:34 AM
I am currently working on a double knit bag with the dark mark on it. I found the dable knit bag here, http://www.talklikeapirate.com/download/bootybag.pdf and i am using the chart for the dark mark from this site: http://www.freewebs.com/theloveplant/knitting/darkmarkbag.html .
Crafty

Lady Violet
06-23-2007, 11:44 AM
thanks PCwombat! :hug: maybe one day soon i will get adventurous enough to try making my own pattern using those as a reference. until then, i'll definitely have to try some of those.

Teeka
06-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, I finished the bookscarf, sans tassles. (I might like it better without.)

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/jakate/IMG_6928.jpg

It's so funky on the right side. :think: I did it flat on size 0 straights in 1x1 ribbing. I like the weight and feel of it, but I couldn't hide the ends of the yellow stripes. I guess that's why the pattern calls for doing it in the round. Here's the first one I did on the too-big needles. It's going to be a doll's scarf:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/jakate/IMG_6923.jpg

UnspeakableJoy
06-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Great job Teeka!!! :woot:

Shandeh
06-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Way to pull through Teeka! :thumbsup:

Duckling326
06-23-2007, 11:47 PM
looks great.

Today I got size 0 needles so I'll be starting the bookmark!

Shandeh
06-24-2007, 12:04 AM
I worked on the Gryffindor scarf a bit more last night, and was finally able to do my first color change.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1405/606782872_a54d5d3055.jpg

Duckling326
06-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Awesome Shan!

MFuentes
06-24-2007, 04:03 AM
Feels great to do that first color change doesn't it?! About a year ago, I did a HP scarf with this (http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/hogwarts/pattern.shtml) pattern which is now in Charmed Knits. I enjoyed it so much that I've done two others in non-HP colors for friends with their university school colors! My one suggestion on the pattern is that it might be a bit short, so you may consider adding a few more stripes, esp if you are knitting for a tall-ish adult. (I need maybe 1 and 1/4 or 1/3 skeins of the Simply Soft, just fyi). I just started Hermione's Cable and Bobble Hat today (also from Charmed Knits). It's my first go at bobbles, so we'll see how they turn out!

Happy Knitting!

UnspeakableJoy
06-24-2007, 07:51 AM
I worked on the Gryffindor scarf a bit more last night, and was finally able to do my first color change.

I :heart: your yarn, Shandeh!! They're so rich looking! I've used the Caron's So Soft before, it's so soft! :doh:

UnspeakableJoy
06-24-2007, 07:53 AM
I just started Hermione's Cable and Bobble Hat today (also from Charmed Knits). It's my first go at bobbles, so we'll see how they turn out!

Please show us photos along the way! I want to knit Hermione's hat for my daughter and niece by Christmas, but am intimidated - I've never done cables or bobbles before! :shrug:

Duckling326
06-24-2007, 11:54 AM
OK provisional cast on with size 0 and floss.....not so fun. But the bookscarf is looking pretty good!

Orangeus
06-24-2007, 04:54 PM
I hope it's not to late to join this KAL; I saw it, thought how fun it would be, and finished my project before I actually remembered to post :doh:

I wanted to do the Bookscarf, but I'm not all that fond of the movie-scarves and wanted something people would actually see, so this was created!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1099/614126413_29b065f0ff.jpg

It's a take on the Skinny Scarf (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3520116,00.html) from Knitty Gritty, turned into a bracelet with crochet chain bow on the other side

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1109/614867832_d24005ad26.jpg

So I can untie it, and use it as a bookmark!

It was super quick. Took only a day, and I think I've got enough thread left over to make a flat version of the real bookscarf!

Your guys' scarves and bookmarks look great! Even if they are for the wrong house, hahaha

Shandeh
06-24-2007, 05:38 PM
I was able to do another color change last night, so I think it will be an easy knit. It will be a perfect project to keep in the living room, where I watch television with my hubby. :thumbsup:

Welcome Orangeus! Love the armband/bookscarf thingy!

MFuentes, I can't wait to see the mittens!

And Duckling326, good luck with the tiny thread and needles!

Lady Violet
06-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Orangeus, that bracelet looks great!!!
i should probably mention that i've started a hugglepuff hat. the one from charmed knits, in fact. i still don't have the book (or a job :pout:), but i got the pattern for free through the charmed knits KAL. no copyright infringement here! :happydancing:

UnspeakableJoy
06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Your guys' scarves and bookmarks look great! Even if they are for the wrong house, hahaha

Orangeus, your bracelet is adorable! Thank you for sharing the pattern! My next project is a Dark Mark Illusion scarf for my niece, so I'm spreading the Hogwarts love all around. :lol:

I'm making really good progress with my PoA scarf, I have 4 color changes done. I think I'll be able to have it completed by the UotP sneak preview on July 10th - we just bought our tickets last night! :woohoo:

Teeka
06-25-2007, 08:52 AM
The colors you have in the yarn are so rich, Sandy! Beautiful! It's going to be really cozy. ;)

Teeka
06-25-2007, 08:56 AM
OK provisional cast on with size 0 and floss.....not so fun. But the bookscarf is looking pretty good!

I had the same problems. I had to abandon the provisional cast on in the end. I neither recommend nor don't recommend following my footsteps. About halfway through the little bookscarf I *finally* got used to the teeny tiny needles. As the United Farm Workers say, "Sí se puede!" (It can be done!)

Teeka
06-25-2007, 09:01 AM
I hope it's not to late to join this KAL; I saw it, thought how fun it would be, and finished my project before I actually remembered to post :doh:

I wanted to do the Bookscarf, but I'm not all that fond of the movie-scarves and wanted something people would actually see, so this was created!

It's a take on the Skinny Scarf (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3520116,00.html) from Knitty Gritty, turned into a bracelet with crochet chain bow on the other side

So I can untie it, and use it as a bookmark!

It was super quick. Took only a day, and I think I've got enough thread left over to make a flat version of the real bookscarf!

Orangeus, I love the little bow, and the bracelet idea is fabulous! Since I did the first bookscarf for my niece, Sammy, I now have to do something for her sister, Abigale. I'm thinking a bracelet or choker might be just the ticket! :cheering:

karendawn
06-25-2007, 11:08 AM
I've finished a wide stripes version of the Gryffindor scarf (picture in my blog, linked in my signature).

I'm currently working on a Gryffindor Quidditch sweater, but I've done only about 2 inches so far of it. It's my first sweater so I hope it turns out okay!

I also have yarn for the Gryffindor Quidditch socks, Gryffindor House socks, a Slytherin scarf, the book scarves (in all four houses), and a couple of other small projects (I think I have enough yarn left over from the scarf to make a hat or beret, so I'll have to look into that). Lots of Harry Potter knitting in my future!

Shandeh
06-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Pretty scarf! Now, I can see what I'm working toward! :thumbsup:

UnspeakableJoy
06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Great job Karen! I agree - it gets a little boring knitting round and round and round ... but they're fun! I can't wait to see what your sweater looks like!

Duckling326
06-25-2007, 10:37 PM
After the provisional cast on the knitting was pretty fun. I only did 3 repeats, because I ran out of red floss. I'll have to post the bookmark later.

Mariblue
06-26-2007, 12:20 AM
I am enjoying seeing everyone's projects! It's so fun. I'm working on the gryffindor house socks, but think I'm gonna have to frog them, they're a little too big. It's ok, I don't mind starting over, as I'll like them all the more when I get it right. :teehee: I've adapted the pattern, so that they are toe up, and I'll do a short row heel. But I'm following the stitch pattern for the small stripes.

misstialouise
06-26-2007, 12:59 AM
EVIL!!!

You've gone and done it, haven't you?? :P

I blame you all, you realise... :P

I've pulled out my Gryffindor wool and cast on the POA scarf from the Charmed Knits book...

They're not 'true' HP colours.. they're a tad more muted... will go with more of my wardrobe :P

:P :P :P :P :P :P

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1232/626935293_cbb9a0df92_o.jpg

Shandeh
06-26-2007, 03:32 AM
I'm slowly getting there!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1113/628823032_aaa8de4a23.jpg

UnspeakableJoy
06-26-2007, 09:18 AM
EVIL!!!

You've gone and done it, haven't you?? :P

I blame you all, you realise... :P

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1232/626935293_cbb9a0df92_o.jpg

Beautiful work!! I love the colors! :happydance:

I'm slowly getting there!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1113/628823032_aaa8de4a23.jpg

Great job Shandeh!! I actually didn't knit that much last night. My boy had a sleepover Sunday night for his birthday, and those boys really wiped me out! :teehee:

Mariblue - I can't wait to see your socks!

Mariblue
06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey guys,
As for me, my Horcrux socks are almost done. I just have the foot and toe left on the second sock. I also finished blocking all my projects to go to charity. Pictures as soon as I can find the camera.

Brook
I can't wait to see them!

Shandeh
06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Shandeh- Your scarf is coming along. I've had friends do this scarf (note I have not) and they all have to remind themselves just keep knitting, just keep knitting. Have you had that problem?

I don't mind waiting for it to be finished. I just enjoy the process! :)

I like this project, because I don't have to count rows, or worry about which stitch to use. It's a perfect project for the living room, where I watch tv with my hubby. :heart:

PCwombat
06-26-2007, 12:47 PM
I love everyone's projects so far! So many pretty colors.

I was thinking that when everyone's finished at least one project, we should collect pictures of all of them and put them together in a collage. Sort of a Harry Potter knitting sampler. I think it would be great to see all of the different scarves and socks and hats and everything in all of the different house colors.

And, speaking of projects, I just finished ordering yarn from Webs to make the animal cracker hat in Chamed Knits. I'm just trying not to think about how expensive the yarn is. The pattern recommended Rowan Biggy Wool, which is 15 dollars. With five colors, that's a 75 dollar hat! So, I saved some money and got Malabrigo (mmmmm) super bulky instead. Still way too much for a hat, but I figure that this makes of for the Chez Casuelle malabrigo order I eventually had to cancel.

Duckling326
06-26-2007, 12:53 PM
ohh I so need to get Charmed Knits lol sounds like a lot of great projects in there!

UnspeakableJoy
06-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Shandeh - I agree! And I love seeing how it just seems to grow and grow and grow!

PCwombat - :noway: That IS alot of money on yarn! I haven't even dabbled with the pricer yarns yet - $6.99 was the pricest yarn I purchased, but I had a 40% off coupon for JoAnn Fabrics, so it only cost me $4.19 :teehee: I have a LYS 5 minutes from my house, but I'm too afraid to go in :wink: The collage idea is GREAT! Maybe we could do a slideshow on PictureTrail?

Duckling - I'm lucky enough to have a Borders on the 1st floor of the office tower I work in, so I went down there to get it last week ... and I was lucky enough to have a 20% off coupon ... I sure do :heart: my coupons! I want to make Mrs. Weasley's Housecoat, it's so pretty!!

Shandeh
06-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I have a LYS 5 minutes from my house, but I'm too afraid to go in.
Don't be afraid. They have sales too! :wink:

Lady Violet
06-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Shandeh - I agree! And I love seeing how it just seems to grow and grow and grow!

PCwombat - :noway: That IS alot of money on yarn! I haven't even dabbled with the pricer yarns yet - $6.99 was the pricest yarn I purchased, but I had a 40% off coupon for JoAnn Fabrics, so it only cost me $4.19 :teehee: I have a LYS 5 minutes from my house, but I'm too afraid to go in :wink: The collage idea is GREAT! Maybe we could do a slideshow on PictureTrail?

Duckling - I'm lucky enough to have a Borders on the 1st floor of the office tower I work in, so I went down there to get it last week ... and I was lucky enough to have a 20% off coupon ... I sure do :heart: my coupons! I want to make Mrs. Weasley's Housecoat, it's so pretty!!

how did you get a coupon? i've been hoping they would get it in at one of the big three so i could use a 40% off coupon, but no luck. i've seen it on sale online, but after shipping it's pretty much the same price.

UnspeakableJoy
06-27-2007, 03:55 PM
how did you get a coupon? i've been hoping they would get it in at one of the big three so i could use a 40% off coupon, but no luck. i've seen it on sale online, but after shipping it's pretty much the same price.

You can sign up for the Borders Rewards program which gets you on their e-newsletter mailing list. It comes out every 10 days or so, and you generally get a 20% off coupon emailed to you every 3 - 4 weeks. The rewards program keeps track of how much you spend at Borders. When you reach a certain amount they sent you additional coupons and rewards and stuff. Next time I get one, I'll share it with you!

Lady Violet
06-27-2007, 04:52 PM
sweet. thanks! :muah: :hug:

karendawn
06-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Here's the progress so far on my Quidditch sweater - about 7-8 inches of the front side in 2x2 rib - not much to see quite yet (I switch colors at 11-1/2 inches).

The yarn that I'm using - Cascade 220 superwash - seems to run as my knitting needles are now turning the color of the yarn; you can see it if you look at the tip of the needle in this picture. Eek! Have any of you used this yarn before and if so, have you had problems with the color running?

PCwombat
06-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Karendawn, my needles are turning green from the Cascade 220, I'm using for my Slytherin scarf.

karendawn
06-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Karendawn, my needles are turning green from the Cascade 220, I'm using for my Slytherin scarf.

Well, at least I know it's not just me! I'll have to be careful with washing this yarn.

Lady Violet
06-27-2007, 06:42 PM
could you rinse/soak the yarn before you knit with it to "set" the color?

karendawn
06-27-2007, 09:07 PM
could you rinse/soak the yarn before you knit with it to "set" the color?

Is there any specific method I should use to do this? It would probably be a good idea with this yarn. Can I also rinse/soak the part I've already knitted? (I would think so but I'd like to make sure before it try it.) Thanks!

Lady Violet
06-27-2007, 09:14 PM
i would just run cold water over it until all the "extra" color has bled out and the water runs clear. i've never used the cascade, so i don't know if there's any chance of shrinkage. if so, i would finish the sweater, and then rinse it. if it does shrink at all, you want it to be consistant throughout the whole sweater. if it doesn't shrink, i would think it'd be okay to go ahead and rinse what you've done, as well as the rest of your yarn.
someone who's actually worked with cascade could probably tell you if this is a good idea or not.

PCwombat
06-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Well, it's superwash, which means you should be able to rinse/wash it without worrying about shrinking or felting. But just in case, I would make a swatch first. (Don't you just love swatches :) )

UnspeakableJoy
06-28-2007, 09:50 AM
LadyViolet and friends - click here (http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon_200628.htm) for a Borders 20% off coupon! It's good through July 1st - use it to get Charmed Knits (or another knitting book you've always wanted)!!

Orangeus
06-28-2007, 07:05 PM
That owl hat is so cute! I wanted to make a hat to wear when I go get my book, but I couldn't think of anything I liked enough. This might just be perfect!

Mariblue
06-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I just got two patterns through the HPCrafts group and I wanted to share the links. The first one is an HP Dishcloth pattern and the second is an owl hat where the owl is a cable with in the hat.

http://insanknitty.wordpress.com/2007/06/16/harry-potter-dishcloth-design/

http://www.ruthieknits.com/owlhat.htm

Brook
Thank you so much for sharing those! Both very cute patterns.

Belphoebe
06-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Well, I did it. I got Charmed Knits today. My mate has already requested a slytherine scarf. :rollseyes: Maybe I'll make him a Weasley sweater to make up for it. :happydancing:

mornnen
06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I just found out about this KAL and had to join! I have the Gryffindor scarf (the one featured in the Prisoner of Azkaban) on the needles. Am slightly over half-way done.

Once I am done with that (or I get another set of #8 addi circs) I'll start a hp hat.

Mornnen

Belphoebe
06-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Any recommendations on where to purchase Cascade 220 online? I'm itching to get started knitting.

Lady Violet
06-30-2007, 12:20 AM
i just checked mysimon.com (http://www.mysimon.com/?tag=hdr.glnav). i searched "cascade 220 yarn" and got a bunch of results. in case you don't know, mysimon.com is basically a comparison shopping site. it's pretty cool. i hope you can find the color you want at a good price!

Belphoebe
06-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Oh thank you, Lady Violet! :muah:

Lady Violet
06-30-2007, 12:37 AM
LadyViolet and friends - click here (http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon_200628.htm) for a Borders 20% off coupon! It's good through July 1st - use it to get Charmed Knits (or another knitting book you've always wanted)!!

UnspeakableJoy, thank you sooooooo much! :muah: you rock my horcrux socks off! i used it today. you'll never guess what i got. :teehee: :cheering:

Belphoebe, glad i could help!

Lady Violet
06-30-2007, 01:31 PM
while i was at borders last night, i saw some of the new HP toys for OOTP. one was a set of three dolls (more like small plastic figures). ron and harry were in their house sweaters, and hermione was in a cardigan. it took me all of two seconds to fall in love with that cardigan. i can't remember if she's worn it in any of the movies already out. i found this cardigan pattern (http://www.wizardknits.com/school_cardigan_pattern.html), but there are no pictures (unless you buy the pattern). has anyone knit this up before? i'm wondering if it's the same as the one on the doll.

okay, i thought for sure there were only three dolls, but i just found it on borders.com and they show four. it can't be the same set because the one i saw was less than $20. anyway, here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000REOR26/sr=1-1/qid=1183224394/ref=dp_image_0/102-2215705-1829719?ie=UTF8&n=165793011&s=toys-and-games&qid=1183224394&sr=1-1)'s what it looks like.

lulu2
06-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Have a look at my blog (www.1001arabianknits.blogspot.com (http://www.1001arabianknits.blogspot.com)) and see what I designed for my HP swapee .... a Golden Snitch Stitchmarker Holder!! I wanted something unique, and I think it IS!

Lady Violet
06-30-2007, 09:14 PM
that is the cutest little thing i've seen in quite some time!
it's for a HP swap, huh? that's a good idea. :sun:

Shandeh
06-30-2007, 09:18 PM
I love it, lulu2!!

And you're right. It's VERY unique! :thumbsup:

Teeka
07-01-2007, 10:39 AM
I've been lurking--sorry! All the scarf/sweater/socks projects are looking fabulous! I just love the red and yellow/gold together.

PCwombat
07-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I finished my Animal Crackers hat from Charmed Knits yesterday! I'm so happy with it. Its with Malabrigo Gruesa, so it's sooo squishy. I can't wait for winter, what with the bulky yarn and the floats from the fair isle, it's going to be so warm.

Mariblue
07-01-2007, 04:32 PM
PCwombat, that's beautiful! I think you did a wonderful job!
I have a question about the pattern, all the pictures I've seen look like the hat's a little short over the ears. Do you find it to be like that for you? Thanks for any info!

UnspeakableJoy
07-01-2007, 05:38 PM
PCWombat - it's BEAUTIFUL!!!! :thud: I :heart: it!

UnspeakableJoy
07-01-2007, 05:44 PM
I've made some pretty good progress this weekend, i'll definitely have it completed by the movie premiere!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/IMG_2263.jpg

My girl wanted to get in on the photo action, and asked me to take a picture with her CoS scarf ...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/IMG_2261.jpg

She's such a ham :teehee:

Lady Violet
07-01-2007, 05:54 PM
WOOT WOOT!!!!! :cheering:

that first one looks like the HP equivalent of a girl on a car. :teehee:

i obviously can't afford yarn for a scarf before OOTP, but i'm thinking of it as a good thing. hopefully i'll be getting a "real" job soon (possibly VERY close to my lys :happydancing:) so i'll be able to afford the nice stuff. here's hopin'!

Lady Violet
07-01-2007, 05:58 PM
PCwombat, that looks REALLY good! the last time i watched POA, i couldn't figure out why it was called the animal crackers hat. then while i was eating breakfast the next morning it all of a sudden hit me. duh! :doh: :roflhard:

karendawn
07-01-2007, 06:17 PM
PCwombat, the animal crackers hat looks fantastic! I can only imagine how wonderful it must feel with the Malabrigo. :heart:

And UnspeakableJoy, the scarf is coming along beautifully. :cheering:

karendawn
07-01-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm still working on the Quidditch sweater, but I got an itching this weekend to work on a smaller project. Since I had some yarn left over from my Gryffindor scarf, I decided to try a Gryffindor hat to go with it. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

UnspeakableJoy
07-01-2007, 08:22 PM
that first one looks like the HP equivalent of a girl on a car. :teehee:

:roflhard: I can't stop laughing!!

I hear ya about the yarn - I'm scrounging around for more wool-ease as it is! :teehee:

Karen - your hat looks LOVELY on you!

PCwombat
07-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks to everyone! The pattern went soo fast, it only took me two days.

But, now back to stockinette tubes.

UnspeakableJoy
07-02-2007, 01:06 PM
But, now back to stockinette tubes.

:teehee: It's kinda mind-numbing isn't it? But I did get quite a bit done this weekend! ;)

LeslieRR
07-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Everyones stuff looks great .. the hats the scarves. Wow!

My time is now even more limited to knit ... the girls are now out of school for the year, and the illusion scarf is a surprise for my youngest daughter. I do have some progress (not much), so it may have to be for Christmas (which would be okay).

I will post a pic of my progress in a couple of days, when I have the first chart done.

Shandeh
07-04-2007, 03:11 AM
Today, my husband and I went to see the new Starbucks restaurant, which is less than a mile from our house. It's the nicest Starbucks I've seen in the Charlotte area!

While we were there, we sat in one of the nice seating areas at the front door, and I worked on my Harry Potter scarf.

A lady who was waiting in line commented on my scarf, saying that she wants to get back into knitting. She said, "That scarf looks like it has school colors!" I told her, "Yes, Harry Potter colors." She said, "I must be living under a rock, because I don't know that school."
:roflhard:

Here's my scarf with another color change:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1332/712733739_00ba05d57c.jpg

UnspeakableJoy
07-04-2007, 06:20 AM
She said, "I must be living under a rock, because I don't know that school."

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Too funny!!!

Have a Happy 4th of July everyone!!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/heathercapri/rachel/layouts/july4.gif

Lady Violet
07-04-2007, 03:01 PM
:teehee: It's kinda mind-numbing isn't it? But I did get quite a bit done this weekend! ;)

that's exactly the kind of knitting that's good for muli-tasking. if you can knit without constantly staring at your needles, you can get a lot done while reading or walking. if you're reading, you just have to sit and find a good position that keeps your book from flopping closed and allows you to do your knitting around the book so you can see what you're reading. i haven't actually tried this while sitting at a table but it works really well while sitting on a couch. :teehee:

Lady Violet
07-04-2007, 07:39 PM
i am SO super excited! i just found a pattern for toe-up fred and george-ish socks (http://www.rosemarywaits.com/2007/05/10/fred-and-george-socks/)!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

i'm totally making these. yeah baby!!!! :roflhard:

Shandeh
07-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Those are FUN socks! :thumbsup:

MFuentes
07-05-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm working on Hermonie's cable and bobble hat... and I've come to the first "mb" or make bobble in the pattern and I'm stuck! Does anyone know a good online or print/ book resource with bobble instructions? (I didn't find a knittinghelp video, did I miss it?)

(And, I'm so excited, last week I also cast on an HP movie 1 scarf but in my school colors-- crimson and white-- i just couldn't resist!)

Thanks ya'll!

UnspeakableJoy
07-05-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm working on Hermonie's cable and bobble hat... and I've come to the first "mb" or make bobble in the pattern and I'm stuck! Does anyone know a good online or print/ book resource with bobble instructions? (I didn't find a knittinghelp video, did I miss it?)

Hi Michelle (I'm a Michelle too!) :)

I have NO idea how to make a bobble :teehee: but here are some threads from the how-to forum, I hope they help!

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=61286&highlight=bobble

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58539&highlight=bobble

Here's an online tutorial (http://telastudio.com/tutorial.html) with photos. I need photos, I'm a visual kinda gal :)

Good luck!! I want to make Hermione's cap myself, so any tips you could share along the way will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Lady Violet
07-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Today, my husband and I went to see the new Starbucks restaurant, which is less than a mile from our house. It's the nicest Starbucks I've seen in the Charlotte area!

While we were there, we sat in one of the nice seating areas at the front door, and I worked on my Harry Potter scarf.

A lady who was waiting in line commented on my scarf, saying that she wants to get back into knitting. She said, "That scarf looks like it has school colors!" I told her, "Yes, Harry Potter colors." She said, "I must be living under a rock, because I don't know that school."

Here's my scarf with another color change:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1332/712733739_00ba05d57c.jpg

sandy, i just googled "harry potter knitting swap" and your post was the third result that came up. you're famous! :teehee:

Shandeh
07-05-2007, 04:32 PM
sandy, i just googled "harry potter knitting swap" and your post was the third result that came up. you're famous! :teehee:

:shock: That's funny! :teehee:

Lady Violet
07-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Ah well, to come to the reason I am posting. Socktopia.net has posted a Bellatrix inspired sock pattern. It is awsome though I'm not that good yet however if anyone likes knitting socks I encourage y'll to go over there and snag it. There will be two more hp patterns this month. Horray!!!!!

:shock: off i go! now i guess i have no choice but to start knitting socks. :teehee:

Mariblue
07-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Ah well, to come to the reason I am posting. Socktopia.net has posted a Bellatrix inspired sock pattern. It is awsome though I'm not that good yet however if anyone likes knitting socks I encourage y'll to go over there and snag it. There will be two more hp patterns this month. Horray!!!!!

Keep knitting, everything looks wonderful.

Brook
Oooo, Thanks for that!

LeslieRR
07-05-2007, 06:40 PM
The instructions for making the bobble should be in the book.
It's really quite easy to do!

LeslieRR
07-05-2007, 07:05 PM
I meant to be more specific with my last post. The directions for making the bobble are under the special techniques section of the Hermione hat pattern. Page 134.

Basically to make the bobble you increase in a stitch and knit back and forth on those increased stitches until you have enough to make it bobble-ish. Then you decrease those increased stitches and then continue with the row that you were working on.

Lady Violet
07-06-2007, 12:09 AM
i just found this blog post (http://www.xanga.com/TNTknits/601718895/round-up.html). the ravenclaw bag in the top picture looks like a booga bag. i'm thinking two birds with one stone. :teehee:
that's one more thing added to my looooooooong :knitting: list.

gamerchik
07-06-2007, 05:10 AM
Hi all! I'd love to join this knit-along. :) I just started making the Dark Mark Illusion Scarf, and I'm probably going to start a Gryffindor Scarf this weekend (I bought the yarn today when I got the yarn for the illusion scarf).

I'm using Encore for both.

Yay!!! :cheering:

Shandeh
07-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Welcome, gamerchik!

Mariblue
07-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok, here's a progress pic of my gryffindor socks. I had posted before about them being a bit too big, so I ripped them out to restart, and then got side tracked with some socks for my son. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=61683) But I started these up again a couple days ago, and I definately intend to finish them by the time the book comes out. :teehee:
Oh, and welcome, gamerchik!

Orangeus
07-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Ooh I like those Bellatrix socks! I'm completely tempted to make them, haha Or at the very least, incorporate the stitch pattern into something else.

Socks are looking good Mariblue!

I've done another super quick knit this afternoon, whilst watching an episode of Doctor Who

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1001/741882547_5ca0edfad2.jpg

It's the scar pattern from the Horcrux socks (disregarding the fact I don't agree with that particular theory), in a little cosy form for my ipod. The other side is just plain, with a black plastic button. It was really good fun to knit too!

Mariblue
07-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Socks are looking good Mariblue!

I've done another super quick knit this afternoon, whilst watching an episode of Doctor Who

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1001/741882547_5ca0edfad2.jpg

It's the scar pattern from the Horcrux socks (disregarding the fact I don't agree with that particular theory), in a little cosy form for my ipod. The other side is just plain, with a black plastic button. It was really good fun to knit too!
Thanks! That's a cute little cozy. I don't agree with that theory either, but I like the scar pattern, so I will probably knit the socks at some point anyway, and just call them scar socks.

Lady Violet
07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Mariblue, that sock is looking really good! what pattern/yarn are you using? i've realized that i have just over 5 days to read books 2-5 and 10 days to read HBP, so of course i got the crazy idea that i could knit some socks to wear when i pick up my book. i've never done socks before, so it could very well take me 10 days to knit a pair! :teehee:

now i have to go finish my 2nd hufflepuff hat while i watch doctor who. heaven.

Mariblue
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Lady Violet, I'm using the Universal toe-up sock furmula (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html). I used this pattern for the first pair of socks I ever made, using magic loop, and I referenced Silver's sock tutorials (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm) to answer any socky questions I might have had. for the stripe sequence, I am looking at the pattern in the Charmed Knits book, but that part is easy. I'm trying to re-read all the books too, but am spending way more time knitting than reading, so might cave in and just read book 7 when it comes. I do not think that I could stand having it in the house and not reading it!
Oh, and I'm using knitpicks essentialsolid burgandy, and then another knitpicks yarn golden heather. The colors are spot on, I think.

Lady Violet
07-06-2007, 10:47 PM
thanks Mariblue! reading the books would probably go quicker if i wasn't actually doing it for the first time. :shock: i know, i'm jumping aboard really late. oh well. better late than never! :teehee: i've found myself knitting more than reading too, which is a problem. i can do both at the same time, but the reading goes a lot slower. now i'm trying to either knit like a fiend, or read like a fiend. such fun. :rofl:

Lady Violet
07-07-2007, 02:06 AM
i just finished the second hat and figured it was time i post pictures of my first hat (and second, of course). :teehee:

both are from charmed knits. the first one was done with lemon jiffy and black wool-ease. unfortunately, only the black was from my stash. well, that's still another 15 yards busted! :cheering:
the second was done with black simply soft and lemonaid simply soft brites. when i put it on, it looks like a girlie beanie instead of a beret, but i like it. it just really makes me wish i had longer hair.
the third picture is why i'm not allowed to knit anymore until the 12th. :shock: it's the only way i'll get them read. you want to know the insanity of it? i have to finish the top two (note the bookmarks) and read all of the next two before wednesday night. then i've got ten whole days to read the bottom one. that even gives me time to knit those socks! crazy. :eyes: the good thing is i just got a little extra cash today so i can buy the yarn (if i need to).

LeslieRR
07-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Lady Violet the hats are lovely
Mariblue, the socks are wonderful...did you mean that you just started right in on socks with Magic Loop and toe-up? I'm just knitting my first pair of socks and I'm doing top down with dpns....must say that I don't love working with dpns...can't seem to get rid of the ladders, no matter what I do.

I can sympathize with everyone wanting to re-read the books. I finished #5 today and started #6 again.

gamerchik
07-07-2007, 05:43 AM
Thanks to all for the welcome!!!

LadyViolet, you might be "late" in reading, but you're reading them now, so who cares!!! I think it's hilarious that you have to discipline yourself so that you'll read more than you knit. :roflhard: Good luck!!! You're awesome!!!

And speaking of reading...I didn't read Book 5 or Book 6 (started Book 5 but got bored...), and so now, every night, DH is reading Book 5 to me while I knit!!! It's so awesome! We eat Harry Potter candy (mostly Blood Pops or Chocolate Frogs) and then he reads and I work on one of my HP projects. We've even talked about him reading Book 7 aloud when it comes out, so that we'll get to experience/discuss the story at the same time!!! WOOHOO!!! :happydancing:

I have to admit that the Gryffindor scarf I've just started is actually my very first project to be knit in the round on one needle (I tried socks on 2 circs but messed up, got impatient and frogged it)!!! As a fairly new knitter, I felt very intimidated about starting to knit in the round. In fact, I used "decoy" yarn (not the yarn I purchased for the project) to make sure that I could join tightly, change colors and bind off in the round. I know it might not sound like a huge accomplishment to you, but when I did my little sample, I felt so proud!!! And so far, my Gryffindor scarf is looking great...hooray!!! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

UnspeakableJoy
07-07-2007, 08:21 AM
"Just keep knitting, just keep knitting, do doo dee doo doo dee doo doo doo ..." My version of Dory's "Just Keep Swimming" song from Finding Nemo! :teehee:

I am bound and determined to finish my PoA Gryffindor scarf this weekend ... I have just 5 more sections to go!!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/IMG_2278.jpg

I promised my girl it would be ready for the movie premiere (12:01 am Wednesday, so it's technically Tuesday night). I have a wedding this evening, but other than that, I'm going to knit knit knit! The Pizza Hut man is going to be our best friend this weekend :teehee:

Welcome Gamerchik! I can't wait to see how your Dark Mark illusion scarf is coming along ... that's my next project!

LadyViolet - just keep reading, just keep reading ... :teehee:

Mariblue - beautiful job on the iPod cozy and Gryffindor socks!! You rock!

new2knittinguy
07-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I would love to join this KAL but i was wondering if you had to knit something that looked exactly like the items in the movies? i really do want to knit the gryfandor scarf but i reallyike these two yarns i have already for this prject but they are not the right colors. Is that a problem?
Also i really do want to knit the darkmark scarf but i have never worked with a project in a chart so is there ne1 in cyber land that can give me a link or just help me with the basics

Mariblue
07-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Mariblue - beautiful job on the iPod cozy and Gryffindor socks!! You rock!
Orangeus made the cozy, but I think it's cute too! :teehee: Your scarf is looking great!

new2knittenguy, we're just in this for the fun of HP knitting, so exact color matches aren't a problem. I'm sure you could use any colors you like. Welcome!

LeslieRR, yes, when I made my first pair they were toe up magic loop socks with a short row heel. I looked around at a lot of patterns first, read all about it (like Hermione!) and then thought, "I can do that, it's not so hard", so I did it. :lol: Now I'm addicted to socks. Don't get me wrong though. I've knitted and frogged about three times as many heels and toes as I've finished completed socks. :frog:I love it though. I guess you could say I'm looking for sock perfection. :teehee: I'm just about to finish the heel on my gryffindor sock now.

Mariblue
07-07-2007, 11:43 AM
We eat Harry Potter candy (mostly Blood Pops or Chocolate Frogs) and then he reads and I work on one of my HP projects. We've even talked about him reading Book 7 aloud when it comes out, so that we'll get to experience/discuss the story at the same time!!! WOOHOO!!! :happydancing:

Ok, where are you finding Harry Potter candy?
That reminds me. I've got a chocolate frog mold I should dig out so I can make some chocolate frogs. I bought it last year for a Harry Potter Halloween party I threw for my kids.

Lady Violet, those hats are really cute!

LeslieRR
07-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Our local Chapters has a whole range of Harry Potter Candy./.. Chocolate frogs, blood pops and all kinds of other stuff.

UnspeakableJoy
07-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Orangeus made the cozy, but I think it's cute too! :teehee: Your scarf is looking great!

Doh! :doh:

Ok, where are you finding Harry Potter candy?

We found TONS at Borders and Barnes & Noble bookshops, and Target! If you can't find any, let me know, I'll be happy to send you some!

IBAmyB
07-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Okay, I broke down and ordered the Charmed Knits book! (Hurry up Amazon!)

"Unfortunately" I told one of my good friends (who is my main "Harry Potter buddy", other than DH -- and my dad!) about the book and now she wants me to make her an "old-style" scarf! (I haven't even made myself one yet!!!!)

I don't have much access to yarn here, but I'll see what my little Wal-Mart has, and I heard one of the the Local Quilting Shops (LQS?) has some yarn as well.... may have to take a trip out there today!

My friend is out of town for a few weeks visiting family.... anybody want to come to Southern AZ and go see the new movie with me???? (DH wants to see it too, but kinda hard to get him here from Iraq!)

Lady Violet
07-07-2007, 03:51 PM
IBAmyB, walmart has caron's simply soft. it's a really soft worsted acrylic. i just used it for a hat. it's nice to work with, and they have pretty much all the harry potter colors. it's also just under a dollar cheaper at walmart than at most craft stores ($2.09 - not bad for over 300 yards!).

IBAmyB
07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
walmart has caron's simply soft... they have pretty much all the harry potter colors.

Actually I just got back from the local Quilting store (which has some knitting/crochet stuff) and Wal-Mart... neither one has a big selection of yarns. :( I actually did get some Caron's Simply Soft (for a different project), but they don't have much of a selection in color choices there, in any brand... (didn't get quite the color I wanted for the other project, had to settle a shade or two darker), and no HP colors. :(

I hate our Wal-Mart..... it's the only craft supply store we have in the area (beside 2 quilting shops) and have hardly any selection. :(

I guess my little fingers will have to do some internet shopping...

Mariblue
07-07-2007, 07:26 PM
We found TONS at Borders and Barnes & Noble bookshops, and Target! If you can't find any, let me know, I'll be happy to send you some!
Ok thanks, I'll check out those places. I think it'd be fun for my family to have something like HP candy for the last book. I've had the Bertie Botts every flavor beans, but lets be honest. They were gross. Fun, yes, but also gross. I'd much rather just get regular old jelly bellies, cheaper, and they all taste good!
I'm getting way to excited about all of this Harry Potter stuff, but I can't help myself. It's just so fun!

Shandeh
07-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Actually I just got back from the local Quilting store (which has some knitting/crochet stuff) and Wal-Mart... neither one has a big selection of yarns. :( I actually did get some Caron's Simply Soft (for a different project), but they don't have much of a selection in color choices there, in any brand... (didn't get quite the color I wanted for the other project, had to settle a shade or two darker), and no HP colors. :(

I hate our Wal-Mart..... it's the only craft supply store we have in the area (beside 2 quilting shops) and have hardly any selection. :(

I guess my little fingers will have to do some internet shopping...

I'm sorry you can't find HP colors at Walmart. I have TONS of yarn stores in my area. (Hobby Lobby, Walmart, AC Moore, Michaels, LYS #1, LYS #2, LYS #3, LYS #4) Do you want me to get you some Caron Simply Soft and mail it to you?

IBAmyB
07-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Do you want me to get you some Caron Simply Soft and mail it to you?

That would be wonderful! :muah:

Let me check with my friend first and make sure I know the right House color scheme for her (I am pretty sure she wants Gryffindor, but just want to make sure...)

Duckling326
07-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Love the latest projects posted! OK so I need to get Charmed Knits a friend brought in her copy today to the knit shop and OMG too cute! I would love to make Molly's sweater hahaha

As for reading I'm frantically trying to finish book five. I am about 1/3 through, then I'll start six and wait for seven to arrive.

IBAmyB
07-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Orangeus: I love your scar iPod cozy! Great idea! (Where'd ya find the pattern? I know it's originally socks, but where can I find it?)

gamerchik: That's how I got DH to start reading the books! (I had already read them, but I wanted to re-read them.) We took turns reading them each other at night! (Too bad he's in Iraq and won't be here to read #7 out loud to me so I can knit!) :(

DH bought bought himself a copy #6 at the PX (military's version of Wal-Mart) while he was in Kuwait in 2005. He took off the dust jacket so he wouldn't loose it... but did anyway! So, now we have 2 hard back copies of it, one with a cover and one where the cover is lost somewhere in Kuwait! Silly Boy, but I love him... :inlove:

Now he is going to buy himself a copy of #7 when it comes out on the 21st. I doubt his line will be as long a mine here! (Plus I doubt people will be dressed up in Harry Potter costumes! :lol:)

Orangeus
07-08-2007, 02:31 AM
Glad you all liked the cosy!

Amy, the pattern I used is here (http://www.knittingasfastasican.com/FreePatterns/Horcrux%20Socks.pdf) [pdf], and I just took the instructions for the leg part, single pattern repeat obviously, haha.

Lady Violet, those hats are so cute (your model is rocking them, hahah). Nice to see 'Puff colours out there!

Unspeakable Joy, The scarf looks great! What size needles are you using? I can hardly even see the stitches. Or maybe it's just so gigantic that the stitches are minute in comparison... Either way, impressive.

New2knittinguy, like everyone has said, of course you don't have to knit a carbon copy of the films' stuff! Knitting wouldn't be fun if there wasn't any room for improvisation! As for the chart knitting, just give it a go, and if you have any questions I'm sure everyone here (and on the rest of the board) would be happy to help.

Have you guys tried the audiobooks for the series? I don't have any of the HP ones myself, but I do like to knit when I'm listening audiobooks. Maybe that'd be a good way to quickly go through the series again...

gamerchik
07-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Unspeakable Joy: Your scarf really does look SO awesome!!! Oh, and I knew that was Dory's song the instant I read "Just keep knitting, just keep knitting." LOL!!! :roflhard: The Dark Mark Scarf is surprisingly easy and a LOT of fun, but I haven't gotten very far because I started that Gryffindor Scarf...it must take forever to finish one of these things!!! But it will be so worth it. :) I'm excited to see yours when it's all completed!!!

Mariblue: Well, it looks like everyone else answered you about the candy! I've also seen it at Toys 'R Us, but Borders usually has the best supply. I haven't tried the slugs yet, I need to get some of those!!!

IBAmyB: How cool that you and your DH read to each other also!!! It's such a good way to spend time together. Maybe when he gets home, you can re-read book 7 together. :heart::happydancing::heart:

New2knittinguy: Knit whatever you like!!! I'm sure everyone here will be more than happy to help when you're ready to start the Illusion scarf. Don't be intimidated by the chart; it's very easy to follow. :)

Orangeus: I've heard the audiobooks are fantastic. They're voiced by Jim Dale, who is AWESOME (you might remember him as Doc Terminus from the Pete's Dragon movie).

misstialouise
07-08-2007, 05:47 AM
They're voiced by Jim Dale, who is AWESOME (you might remember him as Doc Terminus from the Pete's Dragon movie).

They've released a US voice?

I wonder why they've done that?

debinoz
07-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Jim Dale is a UK native, born in Rothwell, Northants, England in 1935.

UnspeakableJoy
07-08-2007, 02:39 PM
What size needles are you using? I can hardly even see the stitches. Or maybe it's just so gigantic that the stitches are minute in comparison... Either way, impressive.

Have you guys tried the audiobooks for the series? I don't have any of the HP ones myself, but I do like to knit when I'm listening audiobooks. Maybe that'd be a good way to quickly go through the series again...

Orangeus - thanks! :) I'm using US8 needles, and it's lying across my kitchen table, so I had to stand on a chair to get the entire scarf in the photo :teehee: We have the audiobooks and LOVE them!

Unspeakable Joy: The Dark Mark Scarf is surprisingly easy and a LOT of fun, but I haven't gotten very far because I started that Gryffindor Scarf...it must take forever to finish one of these things!!! But it will be so worth it. :) I'm excited to see yours when it's all completed!!!

Thanks! Have you seen the Gryffindor Illusion scarf? IMO, it's not quite as cool as the Dark Mark scarf, but it's pretty cool!

Love the latest projects posted! OK so I need to get Charmed Knits a friend brought in her copy today to the knit shop and OMG too cute! I would love to make Molly's sweater hahaha

I want Mrs. Weasely's housecoat too! I couldn't figure out what movie it's in, but we're doing a marathon of the DVDs at home today and noticed her wearing it in Chamber of Secrets - when the boys get to the burrow after Fred, George and Ron break Harry out of the Dursley's for the summer. I just :heart: the sleeves - they're SO pretty!

I FINISHED MY HORCRUX SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, after having to redo the toe five or six times because the project just didn't want to end. I will post pictures when I get home and I can use the camera connector.

I can't wait to see the photos! :woohoo:

Mariblue
07-08-2007, 03:51 PM
I've heard the audiobooks are fantastic. They're voiced by Jim Dale, who is AWESOME (you might remember him as Doc Terminus from the Pete's Dragon movie).
I love the audio books, and I've always loved Jim Dale's voice. I had no idea he was Doc Terminus! I loved Pete's Dragon as a kid, so I know exactly who you're talking about, and can't believe I've never made that connection before!

gamerchik
07-08-2007, 04:27 PM
I love Jim Dale also!!! I secretly think Doc Terminus was kinda sexy, too. :lol:

Anyone have a link to the Gryffindor Illusion Scarf? I'd love to see it! :)

If I can make some progress on my scarves tonight, I'll try to post some pics. How do you post pics on here? Do I need to upload them to photobucket or something?

I want to see the finished Horcrux socks!!!

Orangeus
07-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Ooh I want to see your Horcrux socks, Brook!

To post pictures, Gamerchik, you can either upload it to an image hosting site, like Photobucket, or you can use the handy attachment feature.

When you're in the advanced reply area, you should see something like 'manage attachments' and from there, you can upload an image off your computer to the site. You'll want to resize it first though.

To post the image from like Photobucket, all you need to do is get the url for it, and then either put that in
[img ] [ /img]
tags (sans spaces), or use the 'insert image' button, which does the same thing. Again, it shouldn't be more than 500x500 pixels across (you can find out how big it is by right-clicking on the image, and selecting Properties)

mks22300
07-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Jim Dale is excellent! I'm on Half Blood Prince right now and should finish by the time Deathly Hallows is due out.
Everyone's projects look great! I still haven't added the fringe to my bookscarf yet, guess I should get around and finish it. :teehee:

LeslieRR
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Gamerchik, for the Gryffindor illusion scarf you need to sign up for the Harry Potter Yahoo Group. You can sign up here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarryPotterCrafts/

Just a question...someone mentioned the Animal Crackers Hat and remembering why it's called that...I can't remember! Can someone tell me why?

Orangeus
07-08-2007, 06:27 PM
I thought it was the animal cracker hat, because that's the hat Ron wore when he and the other boys were eating those animal crackers that made them act like whatever animal they just ate... Unless that's not the same hat, and I've been living a lie, haha

karendawn
07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I thought it was the animal cracker hat, because that's the hat Ron wore when he and the other boys were eating those animal crackers that made them act like whatever animal they just ate... Unless that's not the same hat, and I've been living a lie, haha

Yes, you're right. I've been watching the movies on ABC Family today and saw it earlier. :)

gamerchik
07-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Orangeus: Thanks for the instructions! :muah:
LeslieRR: And thanks to you for the Yahoo link! :hug:

Okay...here are some pictures.

First...our bowl of Harry Potter goodies, which we keep next to the book we're reading (on top of the book, you can see a couple of our Wizard cards...I got Dumbledore!! Woohoo!)

Second & third, a couple of pics of my Gryffindor scarf; as you can see, I have a long way to go. :lol:

And finally, a couple of pics of my Dark Mark Illusion scarf, which I am about to frog. I am not happy at all with the way it's coming out. I'm doing it properly, and I'm not sure if you can tell from the pics, but the green yarn is getting its "hairs" all over the black yarn, and it looks crappy to me. It's Plymouth Encore (which I'm using and loving for the Gryffindor scarf, go figure). I seriously just think this is the absolute wrong yarn for me to knit this project -- it doesn't look right OR feel right (maybe someone else would have different results, I dunno). I wonder if Simply Soft would shed less and would look prettier? It also just looks really messy, even though I feel like I'm a pretty tidy knitter, so that's bugging me too. :pout::pout::pout:

Shandeh
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
That would be wonderful! :muah:

Let me check with my friend first and make sure I know the right House color scheme for her (I am pretty sure she wants Gryffindor, but just want to make sure...)

Just let me know. The yarn is about 2 dollars a skein, and shipping will be cheap, unless you want delivery confirmation or priority mail.

Send me a PM when you're ready!

Lady Violet
07-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Gamerchik, for the Gryffindor illusion scarf you need to sign up for the Harry Potter Yahoo Group. You can sign up here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarryPotterCrafts/

Just a question...someone mentioned the Animal Crackers Hat and remembering why it's called that...I can't remember! Can someone tell me why?

that was me. and exactly how many times have i seen the movie?!? :shock: :oops: :teehee:

Lady Violet
07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
gamerchik, that's exactly what i'm thinking. i just used the simply soft for my hat and compared to what i used for my first one (15% mohair), it's not fuzzy at all. plus it has a nice sheen to it and is just really nice to knit with. (and it's cheap! :happydancing:) i would definitely give it a shot.

Lady Violet
07-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Lady Violet, those hats are so cute (your model is rocking them, hahah). Nice to see 'Puff colours out there!

be true to your house, Orangeus, be true to your house. :happydance:
wasn't it nice of her to fly all the way out here just so i could take some pictures? although, she was kind of giving me a look. :nails: :teehee:

gamerchik
07-09-2007, 05:57 AM
UnspeakableJoy: Have you finished your scarf yet??? I have to ask...how much time has it taken you to complete it?

Lady Violet: Thanks for commenting about this. I've just been so perplexed and miserable about that Dark Mark scarf all day, pouting about it looking so uneven and fuzzy, but I KNOW it's just the wrong yarn for the project. I think we're right. I'm going to get some Simply Soft and just start over. I'm so tempted to pick up my second pair of Addi's for this one...lol. :whistle:

UnspeakableJoy
07-09-2007, 06:56 AM
UnspeakableJoy: Have you finished your scarf yet??? I have to ask...how much time has it taken you to complete it?

:waah: No, for all my boasting on Saturday, I haven't finished my scarf yet ... but I hardly knitted at all Saturday because of the wedding I had to go to (and all I could think about the entire time was I shoulda brought my knitting with me :teehee:). I did get a couple of hours of knitting done yesterday, and have just 2 more color changes to go :woot: I'm bringing it to work with me today, and hope to get another solid section done when no one's looking :rollseyes:

Umm ... let's see :think: I started this scarf about 2 weeks ago and have watched about 8 movies while knitting, so it's been between 15 - 18 hours of knitting so far (some of those movies were short kiddie movies) :ick:

karendawn
07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I was able to fit in a lot of knitting time over the weekend. I'm up to the armholes on the front of my sweater, soon to start the shoulder shaping. I'm so happy to have the yellow stripe in there now because that truly makes me feel like I'm doing a Harry Potter knit!

LeslieRR
07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Brooke, your stuff all looks great! I just posted a message in the other board. I'm jealous with how quick you knit!

Lady Violet
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm going to get some Simply Soft and just start over. I'm so tempted to pick up my second pair of Addi's for this one...lol. :whistle:

i say go for it. i just ordered some KP options last night to make some socks to wear when i pick up my book. i hope they get here in time! :oo: if not, i'll just have to use my DPNs.

Mariblue
07-09-2007, 12:01 PM
karendawn, you sweater is looking very nice!
gamerchik, looks like you are getting a good start on the gryffindor scarf. Sorry to hear about the dark mark one, but it's good to know about the yarn you used. I'm thinking about making one, so will probably go with the Caron Simply Soft.
I'm on the ribbing of my first gryffindor sock, so am nearly done! I'll post a pic when it's finished.

Lady Violet
07-09-2007, 12:03 PM
karendawn, it looks like you're making good progress! i was wondering just this morning how it was going. doesn't it feel great to have that gold in there? :woot:

gamerchik
07-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Karendawn: That sleeve looks AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

Brook: WOW, you've gotten so much knitting done!!! I'm so totally impressed! :)

Mariblue: I'm going to try and get the SS yarn today, so I'll let you know if it works out any better. It HAS to work out better, lol.

Lady Violet: You're a bad influence! LOL!!! Must not...buy...Addi's. Okay, maybe I will. :lol: They're just so...turbo-y. :inlove:

gamerchik
07-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Pssst...I bought them. :lol::lol::lol:

Lady Violet
07-09-2007, 06:17 PM
:teehee: glad i could be of service!

why aren't my options here yet? it's already been almost 24 hours! :oo:

i've decided to forgo finishing 2-4 for now. i'm going to concentrate on OOTP. i've got to get that read before the movie.

must...not...knit.... :help:

UnspeakableJoy
07-09-2007, 11:00 PM
must...not...knit.... :help:

:roflhard: I'm over here thinking ... must ... keep ... knitting ... :roflhard: I have 31 more rows to go 'til I'm done. I must finish it so I can block it overnight!!

Anyone have a solution for knitter's butt? :teehee: My rear end is sore from sitting and knitting for the past 3 hours!!

Lady Violet
07-09-2007, 11:15 PM
i had the same problem with my heels when i was knitting my hats on the couch! i was fine after walking on them for a while, but i don't think that will help you. :roflhard: :roflhard:
don't you just L:heart:VE it when you get to the countdown point? sometimes when i reach it i stand up and finish. i seem to go just a little faster, and i can move around, too! :happydancing:
:figureditout: hey, that might help your butt! can you knit while you jump? that might help it get back to normal quicker.

i've already done some knitting tonight :fingerwag:, but i ended up cutting it off the skein. i think i just forgot to turn my row counter once. :doh: why does OOTP have to be so dang thick?!? :nails: it looks like i probably won't be seeing the movie until saturday, so i should be fine. i'll still have two more midnight premieres to go to, and i'll have plenty of time to knit an entire outfit or two to wear!

UnspeakableJoy
07-10-2007, 01:40 AM
I'm done. :thud:

Well, I actually have about 2/3 more to bind off, but my right hand literally cannot grip my needle. :zombie: In fact, I'm typing with my left hand only. :ick:

I'm gonna go pass out now ... I have to get up in 5 hours to get ready for work! :teehee:

[edited at 6:12 am on 07/10/07]

Well, lunatic that I am, I got up early to finish binding off and start blocking ... here's a photo, with the Goblet of Fire DVD for perspective:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/IMG_2289.jpg

I'm going to just spray the scarf with water rather than washing it, but think having it block all day will help straighten it out a bit. I'll add the fringe just before we head out to the movie tonite. I'm so excited!!! :woot:

gamerchik
07-10-2007, 05:38 AM
UNSPEAKABLE JOY: You rock!!! You did it! WOOHOO! :thumbsup::happydancing::thumbsup:

Lady Violet: Put that knitting down and read your book!!! LOL! What page are you on? We're on page 651.

FYI...the Simply Soft is MUCH less "fuzzy" than the Encore and the Dark Mark Scarf, V2.0 is looking pretty cool! However, I just realized that it's probably going to take me a long time to finish, lol. :pout: I guess it will be worth it though, when it's all done! :cheering:

I also made a little Gryffindor bookscarf (no pattern, just stripes) using DMC floss and size 2 needles, but I messed it up at the end and I'm not sure I can attach the fringe. I'll post a pic if I can fix it. I really hate working with small needles!!! :gah:

Mariblue
07-10-2007, 10:35 AM
That looks great, UnspeakableJoy! :cheering:
I'm not going to see the movie for a couple of weeks, so I've got plenty of time to get my socks done. It's the books I'm worried about. I really want to re-read them all.
Plus, I just realized that I probably won't get my hands on book 7 until about a week after it's released, because I pre-ordered it from Amazon, but they'll be mailing it the slow way (for the free shipping.) I realize that I could pay more to upgrade the shipping, but I think I'll force myself to be patient and spend that time reading the other books. I'll just have to avoid everyone and the internet like the plague until I can finish it myself!

UnspeakableJoy
07-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Thank you Gamerchik!! I can't wait to see your photos! I'm not even going to attempt the bookmark, my head hurts just thinking about working with needles and floss!! :zombie:

Lady Violet - I'm not sure what my gauge would look like if I jumped while I knit. :teehee: I can knit while standing tho' ... but don't ask me to chew gum too. ;)

I'll just have to avoid everyone and the internet like the plague until I can finish it myself!

Isn't that the rub - everyone everywhere talking about it and spoiling for the rest of us. :tap:

I think we need to make a pact on this thread not to reveal any spoilers - maybe even create a separate thread in the General forum specifically for the book and movie. Then if you happen to wander in there :whistle: you have no one to blame but yourself. :teehee:

I want to re-read the books too, or at least HBP. Our Borders is having a Grand Hallows Ball on the 20th so we're going there and party 'til midnight to pick up our book (I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago). My boy will read it first, but I've made him promise not to tell me ANYTHING about it (or forfeit his allowance for the rest of his life :teehee:). My girl is a beginning reader, so I'm planning to read it aloud with her, so she can get in on the action! It'll probably take us a few weeks, but I think it'll be fun!

Orangeus
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Ooh Scarf looks great!! :happydance:

That would be really great if we could all agree not to spoil anything in this thread. I too will be abandoning the internet very soon, and I'd be kind of sad if I had to ditch this thread as well, haha. I'm still knitting that Owl Hat after all!

knitknut
07-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Unspeakable - Your scarf looks awesome! I can't believe you made it so fast. I made one a couple of years ago and it took a month of doing nuthin' but knittin'.

Here is a pic of the House sweater I made my DD. I think I'm going blind trying to do the seaming on this dark color. Anyway, I just "basted" the arm sleeves together so she can wear it tonight to the midnight showing. I can't wait!!!!!!!! I thought it was awfully nice of Warner Bros. to change the release date to my birthday. :happydance:

UnspeakableJoy
07-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Here is a pic of the House sweater I made my DD. I think I'm going blind trying to do the seaming on this dark color. Anyway, I just "basted" the arm sleeves together so she can wear it tonight to the midnight showing. I can't wait!!!!!!!! I thought it was awfully nice of Warner Bros. to change the release date to my birthday. :happydance:

Happy Birthday knitknut!! :balloons: Your house sweater looks AWESOME!! I think I'll make either a house or Weasley sweater for the HBP movie ... that'll give me some time to get it done and not have to knit in a frenzy to get it done in time! I must admit I'm very happy to have finished knitting the PoA scarf. I need to get started knitting Christmas presents!

My boy is having a friend over (and he's coming to the movie with us), so they can hang out all night, but me and my girl are definitely going to take a quick nap before the movie tonite! I can't wait!! :woohoo:

knitknut
07-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks, she is pretty excited about it. Now she has a full uniform. She is already in line at the IMAX. (We have had the tickets for a while, but she wants the best seat.) :shock: Kids!

Thanks for the birthday wish, too.

knitknut
07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
I almost forgot, we decorated at home too!

Mariblue
07-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Knitknut, I love the sweater! It looks very nice. :cheering:

I would :heart: to keep this knit-along spoiler free if we can!

I can't even imagine going to a midnight release of any movie, no matter how much I love them. I'd be too tired!

Mariblue
07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I almost forgot, we decorated at home too!
Oooo, that's cute! You should make some floo powder to go on the mantle!

Shandeh
07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
knitknut, I wanna live at your house! :hug:

Mariblue
07-10-2007, 04:54 PM
A new Sock pattern (the second of three this month) at socktopia!
Check it out: fawkes (http://www.socktopia.net/).

I'm so excited, I already have sock yarn that will be perfect for this! :cheering:

UnspeakableJoy
07-10-2007, 05:06 PM
A new Sock pattern (the second of three this month) at socktopia!
Check it out: fawkes (http://www.socktopia.net/).

Wow :noway: they're STUNNING!!! I must get over my fear of knitting socks!! :wall:

PCwombat
07-10-2007, 06:24 PM
OMG I can't believe the movie's tonight!! Yay!!!

I also can't believe how much knitting for it I did! Two scarves and two hats. And, I still want to make the dark mark bag for the book release.

The Slytherin scarf (for me!) is done in Cascade 220. The two hats are LB Wool-Ease. The Puff scarf is Caron Perfect Match. Sorry to all the Ravenclaws out there for no representation, maybe next movie. :)

Lady Violet
07-10-2007, 06:32 PM
:notworthy:
that's amazing! you are a true inspiration. i got 2 hats done and i want to do some socks to wear when i pick up my book. next year though, watch out. i plan on knitting my HP fingers off between now and then. :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :thud:

Lady Violet
07-10-2007, 06:37 PM
UnspeakableJoy, that scarf is AMAAAAAAZING!!! it looks like you could escape with it out the window of a burning building. enjoy the movie tonight, but don't come back and tell me what happens. i still haven't finished the book! :shock: :gah:

we'll have to start a fawkes KAL. that way we can get over any fears we may have together. of course, we might want to start out with something just a bit simpler. :teehee:

Mariblue
07-10-2007, 06:48 PM
:cheering:PCwombat:cheering: Awesome job on everything!

UnspeakableJoy
07-10-2007, 07:47 PM
:thud: PC Wombat, you rock!! :woohoo:

Lady Violet - that would be cool! (about the Fawkes KAL)! And I promise not to say a word about the movie. But you'll definitely have to let me know when you've watched it so we can talk about it!!

Shandeh
07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Wow! Incredible Stuff!!!

I'm still stuck at the same place in my Gryffindor scarf. Maybe one day, I'll finish it. :shrug:

CateKnits
07-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I just started a new Ravenclaw scarf the other day. I got midnight tickets with my friend and I plan to knit at the theatre if she'll let me. My scarf's only a few inches long at the moment, though. I made a blue and "bronze" one for Goblet of Fire, but I didn't like the bronze I chose. This one is blue and silver, but the blue is probably too dark to be proper Ravenclaw color (it's navy blue).
I plan to make one in brown and orange (my school colors! :cheering: ) after this one. Then I can have a HP RIT scarf. :teehee:

UnspeakableJoy
07-11-2007, 04:06 AM
We just came back from the OotP midnight movie and I have just two words ...

BLOODY BRILLIANT!!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/UnspeakableJoy777/IMG_2292.jpg

My boy and his best friend, wearing my HP scarves :) This was after the movie and my boy really had to pee, so he wasn't in any mood to pose for photos. :teehee:

gamerchik
07-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Mariblue: What a brilliant idea about the flue powder!!! I'm going to have to make a can and put it on the mantle...my DH will love it!!!

PCWombat: WOW, you have done a lot of HP knitting and it all looks so great!!! :thumbsup:

CateKnits: Oooh, post some pics of your Ravenclaw scarves!!! I really like the Ravenclaw colors (book and movie).

Shandeh: It's kind of understandable why you're still in the same place on that Gryffindor scarf -- look at all the stuff on your needles!!! You're like the amazing knitting woman or something!!!

UnspeakableJoy: I'm just so proud of you for finishing that scarf in time! Both of the scarves look AWESOME and I'm glad you enjoyed the movie!!! It'll be too crowded to go see it here for about a week, so I guess I'll have to wait. :pout: But it sounds like it'll be worth it! Woohoo! :happydancing:

I hope I didn't forget anyone, but it's 5am here!!! DH and i just finished reading OotP (he stayed up sooo late so that we could finish reading it tonight). I'll talk to you all tomorrow! :happydancing: