PDA

View Full Version : Changing Mondo Cable shell pattern?

Stonington
05-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi!
I have gotten the pattern for the Mondo :cheering:. The directions are for it to be knitted in 2 peices flat. Could someone help me convert this to knitting it round? I have not been brave enough to change patterns yet.. and feel that I would mess it up royally :passedout:

Thanks!
anne
http://chicknits.com/catalog/mondocable.html

suzeeq
05-30-2007, 09:12 AM
It shouldn't be too difficult. Cast on the same number of stitches for both pieces (minus 2-4 for seam stitches), place markers at beginning and halfway around, and follow the directions for both pieces. At the underarm, you'll split them and work back and front separately.

sue

Stonington
05-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Sue,
That sounds so logical lol. But I am such a visual person that I read a pattern line per line. So I will have to sit with it at work (lol) today and try to rewrite it.
Thanks!
anne

mornnen
05-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Stonington--

I am thinking of ordering and making that pattern. Could you tell me what brand of yarn it calls for?

Thanks

Stonington
06-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Stonington--

I am thinking of ordering and making that pattern. Could you tell me what brand of yarn it calls for?

Thanks
Hi!
I still have it saved on the computer here at work. Here are the requirements that they list on the pattern. Do you think you will knit it on the round? :flirt:

anne

mornnen
06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Stonington--

I don't know. I can seam but it isn't my favorite. And like you mentioned earlier in this thread, the conversion might drive me nuts. Because when you knit in the round, you don't have to purl to get stock. stitch... which is nice. But then you have to remember not to purl the purl stitches, and then for reverse stockinette, to actually purl the stitches. Not only that, but because of the fact you don't have to seem, I think I remember seeing somewhere to decrease the number of cast on stitches by a couple as those aren't needed for the seam -- I'm not sure, but I am sure Ingrid would be able to help.

I'm still anguishing over which top to make, I have it down to 3 (I've posted the three I'm considering under "body shape and best patterns" in the General Knitting section). Ideally, I'd like a tank that doesn't make me look "hippy" (as in the body part, not the 60's style):grin:

Julie

Stonington
06-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Stonington--

I don't know. I can seam but it isn't my favorite. And like you mentioned earlier in this thread, the conversion might drive me nuts. Because when you knit in the round, you don't have to purl to get stock. stitch... which is nice. But then you have to remember not to purl the purl stitches, and then for reverse stockinette, to actually purl the stitches. Not only that, but because of the fact you don't have to seem, I think I remember seeing somewhere to decrease the number of cast on stitches by a couple as those aren't needed for the seam -- I'm not sure, but I am sure Ingrid would be able to help.

I'm still anguishing over which top to make, I have it down to 3 (I've posted the three I'm considering under "body shape and best patterns" in the General Knitting section). Ideally, I'd like a tank that doesn't make me look "hippy" (as in the body part, not the 60's style):grin:

Julie

Julie,
I know exactly what you mean, that is one of the reasons that I like this top. It falls just far enough below the waiste and does not "cling". I also love the way the cable splits to go around the neck line. I hope to start it soon. :woot: I have to finish a baby set and also want to start a wall hanging.. so many things to do and work just gets in the way lol. :passedout:

anne

suzeeq
06-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Posting the gauge, yarn and needle requirements doesn't tell us whether it could be knit in the round. We can only figure that out by looking at the pattern, and you can't post it here - at lease not all of it. But probably yes, you can do in without seams, just pay attention to the cable section (use markers to set it off) and if you knit on the WS, you'll have to purl doing it in the round.

sue

Stonington
06-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Stonington--

Thanks

Posting the gauge, yarn and needle requirements doesn't tell us whether it could be knit in the round. We can only figure that out by looking at the pattern, and you can't post it here - at lease not all of it. But probably yes, you can do in without seams, just pay attention to the cable section (use markers to set it off) and if you knit on the WS, you'll have to purl doing it in the round.

sue

Sue, I posted the pattern requirements in response to Mornnen's request for type of yarn the pattern called for.
:knitting:
anne

suzeeq
06-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Ooops, missed that; just skimmed the posts as I was out of town for a couple days and have 200 to catch up on....

sue

Stonington
06-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Ooops, missed that; just skimmed the posts as I was out of town for a couple days and have 200 to catch up on....

sue

Amazing how that happens isn't it? I am usually away from the computer over the weekend and SO much happens just in 2 days! Love this site !:woot:

anne

suzeeq
06-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Ya know, I think there's more posts now than before the upgrade. Anyone else think so?

sue

Stonington
06-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Ya know, I think there's more posts now than before the upgrade. Anyone else think so?

sue

I think so.. maybe it is because of the ease of replying now. The other thing I just noticed (and it may have happened with the old system and I might just be sllllooow lol) We I get a e-mail notification the text of the response is in the e-mail. I love that! :heart:
:knitting:
anne

suzeeq
06-04-2007, 09:45 AM
It's something you can mark on your user options. I don't bother, I get enough mail as it is and check here often enough that I would actually spend more time on the computer going through the extra mail.

sue

Lisa_H-Town
06-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I was looking for a way to change another pattern to round and was searching through old posts and found this link:
http://www.socknitters.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4191&sid=dca29865256e728cf60472ebdf4c43fc

You have to scroll down a bit... and it's 3 parts,,, not sure if this will help, or if you already got the answers you needed, but thought it was a cool reference either way.

Stonington
06-05-2007, 08:10 AM
I was looking for a way to change another pattern to round and was searching through old posts and found this link:
http://www.socknitters.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4191&sid=dca29865256e728cf60472ebdf4c43fc

You have to scroll down a bit... and it's 3 parts,,, not sure if this will help, or if you already got the answers you needed, but thought it was a cool reference either way.

Lisa,
Thank you for the link :hug: Great info! and another forum to peruse. :passedout: Good thing I have a great boss! lol.
Thanks again,
anne :knitting: