PDA

View Full Version : "KHAKI CABLES" is easier than I thought!

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi y'all!

I need a fresh, cool, pure white cotton cardigan for summer! You know how air-conditioned buildings are! You dress for the 'outside' and you freeze your fanny off inside the buildings within the hour! Even our church...it is freezing winter, summer, spring, fall. That's because the suits are in control of the temp unit!

So, here are some photos of the cardigan. I have knit 3 repeats for the BACK...and I am soooo pleased...I don't have to use the graph anymore. The patter is an 8 row repeat...the wide cable is executed from every Right Side row, so 4 times within the 8 rows...and the ropey cable is only repeated once within the 8 row repeat. Sooo easy.

I think the pattern is turning out very well, and I am especially pleased that it IS NOT as fat and bulky looking as the photo in the magazine. My yarn is fun to knit with. It reached perfect gauge using size 7 needles. (20st in seed = 4") I will block it to 'perfect' and the 'snug up' the stitches.

I tried to attract some knitting buddies on our KAL...but everyone is busy with other projects. So, here is my WHATCHA KNITTING! If anyone has second thoughts...and wants to join me...we can do that over at my KHAKI CABLES thread in the KAL section. Let me know! I have loads of 'tips' for making cable projects a breeze.

Jan in CA
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
That is going to be so pretty! What weight is the yarn?

GinnyG
05-30-2007, 03:06 PM
That is just beautiful!!!

Where is the pattern again?

I don't suppose you would recomment it for a "first cable" project would you?

I got the "Cables Untangled" book and have done some straight cables with scrap yarn. They were pretty easy, but I suppose it might not be a bad idea to do a scarf or two before attacking a sweater............

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi Ginny!

I absolutely would recommend it for a first cabled cardigan! And, I would tell you otherwise if it was a painful project. It is a very well organized, and well written, pattern, too. It is incredibly easy. Not too much to remember for any given row. The stitch markers tell you what to do and when. I color-code the stitch markers. Any ropey cable that is surrounded by blue markers is a "cable back" and the red markers signify "cable front". I mean, you learn to recognize which way to hold the stitches, to the front or to the back...but...I get going along on my knitting mantra...and can forget to cross the cable the right way...so the colored stitch markers are my "shepherd's rod"!

BTW: I am making my cardigan longer than the pattern says.

The pattern is in the Winter 2006 KNITTERS magazine, pg 88. CLICK HERE (http://www.stitchesmarket.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=7472) to view a photo of the sweater! I linked up with the Knitters Magazine HERE (http://www.knittersmagazine.com/flash/knitters.php). It is not a free pattern...but many of us have the Knitters available.

Hi Jan! The weight of the yarn I am using is 20st = 4"...so a worsted weight. The pattern calls for 20 st in seed = 4".

GinnyG
05-30-2007, 03:25 PM
So do I just order the magazine and the pattern is in it?

KnittingNat
05-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Mmmmm.... Now i'm embarrassed to say that i discovered what you need the stitch markers for... because i'm knitting the sweater that's in my signature and i'm always checking the pattern to see where to do the cable (well, now, after 2 repeats i learned to recognize it)...

KnittingNat
05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
And it definitely looks great!!! I think in white it's very summery. I'm having the same problem here with air conditioners - my office is freezing!

GinnyG
05-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Well HOKEY DOKEY, I ordered the magazine, hope that is where the pattern is:whistle:

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes Ginny, that Knitters magazine has the pattern in it, and lots more cool patterns! Here is a photo of the magazine, and the KHAKI CABLES pages 88 and 89. Everything is on two pages.

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi KnittingNat!

Plastic stitch markers can be purcased for a reasonable price...just be sure to get the thinnest ones possible. I don't like working with the fat, donut-like stitch markers. :pout:

You can use different colors of kids little rubber bands, too. Just be sure they are a little bigger than your needle size, of course.

Or, make your own stitch markers out of different colors of yarn! Just tie the yarn around a needle that is several sizes bigger than you are working with...tie a good tight knot...clip the ends...if possible, put a drop of FRAY CHECK on the knot to keep it from coming un-done...and these yarn stitch markers will easily slip from needle to needle. You can re-use them, too! And, they don't "flick off" your needles and fly across the room like plastics do!

That is why I like the silver stitch markers with the little jewels hanging from them...the jewels "weight" the silver rings...and keep them from flicking across the room! :happydance: I made the ones seen in the photo. I just loves 'em! Got all the silver findings and the jewels at a bead shop.

KnittingNat
05-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi ArtLady1981!
That's a great idea... I should check my nearest bead store.. Actually, i checked out Zero markers and they look gorgeous ( i love pearls), but still - they're for knitting, not wearing! And i don't know if they would ship to this far away place i live in...

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 03:51 PM
PS to KnittingNat! Even though you have learned to recognize where your cables are....I highly recommend the use of the stitch markers. I use stitch markers religiously. It is better to be SURE...than to discover an error several rows later...and then it is off the the FROG POND. :frog:

KnittingNat
05-30-2007, 03:54 PM
PS to KnittingNat! Even though you have learned to recognize where your cables are....I highly recommend the use of the stitch markers. I use stitch markers religiously. It is better to be SURE...than to discover an error several rows later...and then it is off the the FROG POND. :frog:

And i count religiously :roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:... No seriously, i do count and check every few stitches what i've done. That's why i'm so slow on this sweater (i'm only at the armhole shaping on the back)...And because my kitten won't let knit...That too...:teehee:

Jan in CA
05-30-2007, 04:06 PM
The rubber bands are a great idea. I want to make some beaded ones, too. Have to go to the bead store soon! I wonder...can you by the toggles separately there.. :think: Anyhoo..love the sweater. I may have to order that magazine, too.

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 04:08 PM
I agree with you KnittingNat! I count stitches as well. It may seem slow...but....frogging or tinking back to correct errors REALLY SLOWS UP THE PROGRESS!

Your cabled sweater will turn out beautifully! Stitch markers make it easier and quicker. You will recognize a missing stitch easier. And it makes the "head count" much easier, too. You can "eyeball" the number of stitches inbetween the stitch markers.

I think anyone will ship to any location, except the Moon! :wink: I get yarn from the UK, United Kingdom, all the time. I have a favorite Rowan yarn lady who lives there. She ships a lot of her yarn for free! She is an Ebay yarn shop!

You local bead shop will help you with the makings of stitch markers. You need:
1) the head pins
2) the O rings
3) the beads
4) two tools that wrap and nip

If you would like me to take a closeup photo of one of my stitch markers, let me know. I will post it for ya.

I went crazy and made myself about 10 sets of 10. Half of them are on the smallest O rings...for needles sizes up to US5...the other half are a larger size O ring for sizes up to US10.

The silver O rings come in two sizes over here in USA. I wish they came in a super size for needles beyone US10. So, for the larger needles I use plastic stitch markers.

KnittingNat
05-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks ArtLady1981! I'll check it out! By the way, who is this Rowan lady, what is she called on eBay? I love Rowan..I had so far Biggy Print, Plaid and Big Wool and i loved them! But for me the cost is enormous - one sweater is about a 2-week's groceries...

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi Jan! I bought everything at the bead store:
1) the silver head pins
2) the silver O rings
3) the beads
4) the two little tools...one for wrapping and one for nipping

As you know...the varitey of beads is just BEYOND belief!
I chose silver findings because they seem to retain their beauty, and they are more malleable. They wrap easier and are more compliant. However, silver findings are more $$$.

For someone on a budget...here is my suggestion: spend more for the silver findings...and get beads that are less money. I have stitch markes in both categories. I love them all! The Swarovski crystals are my favorites...however...I have jades, stones/rocks, ceramics, large seeds, glass ladybugs, etc. Like I said, I went kinda nuts. I have to stay out of Bead Shops this year.

Jan in CA
05-30-2007, 04:15 PM
You local bead shop will help you with the makings of stitch markers. You need:
1) the head pins
2) the O rings
3) the beads
4) two tools that wrap and nip
If you would like me to take a closeup photo of one of my stitch markers, let me know. I will post it for ya.

Ohhh so you aren't using toggles? I like them because they have the loop on the bottom. What is an O ring? Yes could you post a closeup? Thank you. I used to make Austrian Crystal jewelry so I'm familiar somewhat with stuff..

Sorry for the threadnap.. :shifty:

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi Knittingnat!

HERE (http://stores.ebay.com/Cucumberpatch-UK_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm) is her direct Ebay link. She is called the CucumberPatch! She has several types of yarn...and she really has great prices on Rowan...and check out her SALE YARNS! Some yarn ships for FREE! That in itself is a great SAVINGS! I love her and her hubby. They are wonderful to their customers!

KnittingNat
05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi Knittingnat!

HERE (http://stores.ebay.com/Cucumberpatch-UK_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm) is her direct Ebay link. She is called the CucumberPatch! She has several types of yarn...and she really has great prices on Rowan...and check out her SALE YARNS! Some yarn ships for FREE! That in itself is a great SAVINGS! I love her and her hubby. They are wonderful to their customers!
Oh, i know them. i never bought from them, but i saw the sales.. It's hard for me to believe that someone will ship for free (i met sellers who make their profit on "handling" charges), but if you say - i believe you and try them next time! Thanks... I bought my Rowan from Artofyarn on eBay and she was great! And from WEBS...

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Here is a photo of one of my Square Swarovski Crystal stitch markers. There is a set of 10...all are different colors.

I see that I put a teeny weeny clear bead at the very tip...just above the headpin "head".

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Yes, KnittingNat, the Cucumberpatch lady will ship for FREE. All of her yarn listings clearly say which ones have FREE SHIPPING. Usually, it is her yarns that are on sale. Or, if you are buying a bag of 10. Well, I usually need at least 10...so I am good there! Besides, a bag of 10 is less than the "per skein" price. I have Artofyarn in my FAVORITE SELLERS list also! :happydance:

auburnchick
05-30-2007, 04:37 PM
As usual, your work is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I can't wait to see the finished product! :inlove:

Oh, and are you using stash yarn? I didn't read through all the posts, so forgive me if you're repeating yourself.

KnittingNat
05-30-2007, 04:37 PM
ArtLady1981, you are so helpful - thank you:heart::heart::heart:! I think that after i move to our new place and settle down, i'll try to make those. I already have made myself bracelets and necklaces, so i don't think it should be a problem...

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Jan, I am not familar with the 'toggles'. I have not made jewelry, so I am not familiar with all the findings. If 'toggles' have a loop to suspend the jewels from...would that eliminate a 'step' from the stitch markers? It seems that you would still need to use a headpin to load your jewels onto...and then still need to 'wrap it onto' the loop of the toggle.

Well, by viewing my stitch marker...you can see if you like the use of the O ring...or the toggle type.

booskibabe
05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Those cables are awesome! WTG

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
As usual, your work is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I can't wait to see the finished product! :inlove:

Oh, and are you using stash yarn? I didn't read through all the posts, so forgive me if you're repeating yourself.

Hi AuburnChick! Must confess....this white cotton yarn is a REWARD YARN purchase. I didn't have any white yarn in my STASH...however...I am following our Year of the Stash protocol: I am knitting it NOW...and not stashing it! :thumbsup:

I got inspired by seeing photo in another KAL...a Google KAL thing...for the Dollar and a Half cardigan...and this lady has knit her Dollar and a Half using a beautiful pure white yarn. I was just in awe at how refreshing it looked. Made me almost sorry I had used RED. So, I began a search for a pattern that would look good in a pure white...found the pattern in my Stash Magazines...and then searched for just the right cotton! THAT was not easy! It had to be pure white, it had to be 20 st = 4", it had to be a "cable cotton".

I found this yarn at my LYS for a great price. It was $4.50 per skein...and lots of yardage per skein! Another LYS carries a similar cotton...different brand...with half the yardage and double the price! So I think I did good! :cheering:

Jan in CA
05-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Jan, I am not familar with the 'toggles'. I have not made jewelry, so I am not familiar with all the findings.

So I went to the bead store today.... The cheapest single toggle was $2.50. :noway: I don't think so. I know it's not that much, but if I want to make a bunch..

Like these maybe...
http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?skw=toggles

ArtLady1981
05-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Jan!

I visited the website you gave! I found the exact O rings that I use...they call them 'Jumprings'.

HERE (http://www.firemountaingems.com/search.asp?SKW=jump+rings&Shop_Page=3) is the exact page I found them on. They are sterling silver jumprings, soldered closed 5mm round Item # H20-3173FD a pack of 50 for $6.48. I am not sure if these are the right size ring...how big or how small...but if you look on that page I linked...you will see what I mean. And, 4mm round, soldered closed are item #H20-3172FD / 23 gauge/ for just $5.90.

Then there are others Item #H20-2054FD,5mm/ 20.5 gauge/ 20 for $6.13...

Others: Item #H20-2055FD /6mm round/ 20.5 gauge/ 20 for $6.76.

I assume the difference in price above is the gauge. The jumprings that sell at 20 for about $6 are 20.5 gauge...and the jumprings that sell at 50 for $6 are 23 gauge...probably thinner material. I would go for the sturdier gauge.

Well these prices are a far cry from the $2.50 of those toggles.

I really like working with the sterling silver, soldered closed, 'jumprings' I guess they are called on this website.

GinnyG
05-31-2007, 05:23 AM
Those are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may need to put down my knitting and do some beading for a bit!!

flyingfingers
05-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi, I have that magazine and have been eyeing the khaki cables sweater for a long time now. I really would like to have a go at making that one. Please keep us posted with your progress, would love to see the finished project. I am planning to do that sweater, just have to finish a few other items first.

LeslieRR
05-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Love your progress so far. It looks beautiful in white.

How do you find the cotton to knit with? So often knitting with cotton is HORRIBLE - depending upon the pattern of course.

I really love this sweater and would like to do it with you. However, I have started the Harlequin Jacket in the same magazine and until I get the HJ done, I can't cast on for another big project.

Continue to post your progress, and maybe if I ever get done the HJ I'll start this one too!

Ronda
05-31-2007, 08:33 AM
I haven't had a chance to read all the responses in this thread yet. (I'm supposed to be working right now - but I'm my own boss, so I can get away with that.) Anyway, as usual, your knitting just knocks me off my feet. I'm not ready to try anything like this yet, but you mentioned that you have lots of tips to share. Even if no one joins your knit-along, I would love to read all your advice.

GinnyG
05-31-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm not ready to try anything like this yet, but you mentioned that you have lots of tips to share. Even if no one joins your knit-along, I would love to read all your advice.

HAHAHAHAHA, I'm not ready either but I'm not going to let THAT stop me:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

My LYS has a "guided project" class on Thursday evening. You bring in what ever you are knitting and someone is there to help. I may do this sweater there.

Ronda
05-31-2007, 08:48 AM
I need to take advantage of some of the things my LYS has to offer. I've been a little shy though. I personally know NO ONE who knits, so all my advice/tips/techniques are learned right here on this board! (That's why I'm here so much!)

Good luck, Ginny! I'm sure you'll do fine. I'm working on my Lady Eleanor right now. Then my kids wants fingerless gloves and I want to make clogs and blah blah blah blah. It will be a while before I attempt a cabled sweater. :)

Jan in CA
05-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Wow..thanks for that info, Artlady! I was wondering about the rings so it's good find they are soldered. I may give those a try, too. :cheering:

ArtLady1981
05-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi All!

I really appreciate ALL YOUR POSTS! Makes me feel very well-surrounded by Knittin' Sisters!

Ginny, when you get your magazine/pattern, let me know. I will take a digital photo of my color-coded pattern graph...and you will see how amazingly easy it makes each row! No errors. Everything is color-coded! The eye learns much better with the use of color!

My "invention" was born from NEED. I am certain others have done the same!

I think I will toddle into my knitting place, and take a digital of my progress as of right now.

Hi LeslieRR! This cotton is wonderful to knit with. It is a mercerized cotton, and it is a "cable cotton". It is not splitty at all...and it feels fresh when you handle it. It is not soft like merino wool, cashmere or alpaca of course...but it is very nice. It is a very "well-behaved" yarn! I like it and would recommend it. The LYS I purchased it from will ship to anywhere. (If you need it, I will give you her telephone number...I don't think you can buy directly from her website. She is an older lady....she has a browsing website...I have been her customer for 15 years or more) Anyhoo...back to the subject: The skeins have 185 yards! :woot: For around $4.50 per skein. Pull skeins, by the way. That makes the cardigan very reasonably priced...not cheap...but reasonable.

Well, here is the progress on KHAKI CABLES. I haven't "tuned up" the stitches...and, blocking will even things out a lot. I really am enjoying it. Row 2 of the 8 row repeat is the "busy row"...where the "wishbone cable" is worked in addition to the "ropey cables". Then, on rows 4/6/8...only the wishbone cable is worked. The ropey cables only get worked (the cross over cable thing) on row 2. Pretty easy to remember.

Remember something new about PHOTOS here at KH! If you click the photo directly, it will EXPAND IN SIZE for you! Cool! Sheldon ROCKS!

GinnyG
05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That is BREATH TAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:che ering:

So, HOW MANY skeins @ 185 yds a skein??????????????????

ArtLady1981
05-31-2007, 08:07 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That is BREATH TAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:che ering:

So, HOW MANY skeins @ 185 yds a skein??????????????????

Hi Ginny,

Well the pattern calls for 1840 yards for the 51" size L. I want to make it 3" longer than the 24" pattern's length...so....I whereas I woulda needed just 10 skeins...I bought extra...I think 4 extra. I will use any leftover extras for a tank top.

Be reminded...that whopping 1840 yards is because of the cabling. Cabled sweaters of any kind really suck up the yarn.

KHAKI CABLES is well worth it...and a classic sweater will last for years!!!

kristinw
05-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Very pretty!! It was hard to tell in the photo - is it seed stitch?

ArtLady1981
06-01-2007, 03:25 AM
Hi Kristin, Yes, the cables are surrounded by fields of seed stitch! :heart: Very nice and unusual. Usually the designers surround the cable sections with reverse st st.

kristinw
06-01-2007, 07:57 AM
It gives it a lot of texture and interest. Very pretty!

nadja la claire
06-01-2007, 04:36 PM
WOW!!! That's coming along nicely. Your work is so beautiful :inlove: I know the finished product will be breath taking.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

ArtLady1981
06-06-2007, 02:46 AM
I have the BACK allllllmost done. And it woulda been done if it wasn't for my KH obsession, or is it "passion"?

Anyhoo..I am off to the "knitting place"...and will finish the BACK before bedtime...which is 3 am for me.

Will post a photo tomorrow, promise!

My fingers, thumbs, and wrists are killin me from all the cabling...and the cable cotton yarn is really WORK. I feel like I have arthritis. Grrr.

GinnyG
06-06-2007, 05:16 AM
CAN'T WAIT to see your picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!:cheering:

ArtLady1981
06-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, I thought I could get the BACK done...but am 2" shy of the 9" armhole length.

Well, here is a photo of it, ALMOST done! I really love how it looks! Remember, all the seed stitch at each end will be the "sides" of the cardigan.

Jan in CA
06-07-2007, 08:06 PM
It's looking gorgeous!

GinnyG
06-08-2007, 05:38 AM
:passedout:WOW

REALLY, drop dead GORGEOUS!!!! My pattern (magazine) arrived yesterday. Don't know WHEN I'll start but SOOON I hope!!!!!!!!!!!

LeslieRR
06-08-2007, 08:34 AM
It looks GORGEOUS! :inlove:

I may have to see what I have in my stash. I don't really need to buy more yar4n right now. I don't have anywhere to store it!

Not that I need another project OTN.:pout:

Markette
06-08-2007, 09:12 AM
That's really beautiful!

ArtLady1981
06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your compliments! Even tho I am only one knitting this cardigan at this time, I DON'T FEEL ALONE! :hug:

I will be OFF THE GRID starting Sat June 9...off to the mountainous wilderness of Northeastern Washington again. No electricity, no internet, no nothin...except wind, air and sun. Not a bad tradeoff! :teehee:

I am not taking KHAKI CABLES with me because of its pure white yarn. Just too hard to keep the hands clean in the wilderness. Even the wind can be dusty! Am going to work on that Crazy Quilt Afghan for a granddaughter. Acrylic yarns, wild colors. Washed, softened and blocked the first 22 squares late last night. They pinned out on the blocking board to 8"x8". I know most folks don't block acrylic, but it does help each square to be exactly the same size. I made two other Crazy Quilt Afghans several years ago...and blocked those squares, too. BTW: these crazy quilts are all STASH YARN leftovers. This current Crazy Quilt will be my best yet! It is my summertime, vacation project!

I will check back with y'all when I return on the 17th or 18th.:waving:

ArtLady1981
06-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Well...for what it's worth...I did get the BACK of KHAKI CABLES all done...shoulder shaping, neck shaping, and all cast off! I'd post a photo....but it doesn't look significantly different that my photo post yesterday!

Having the BACK done is a relief. The BACK of any cardigan is always the marathon piece. Double the stitches on the needle, without any significant "look". Now the Fronts...those are a horse of a different color!

I am disappointed with myself. I had hoped to get this cardigan done...to wear to an event on the 22nd. I won't be home from vacation til the 18th. Four days to knit two sleeves, two fronts, front/neck ribbed bands, frog, blocking and seaming just ain't gonna happen. :doh:

Such is life. Well, I will need this cardigan for church on Sundays. Our facility is always freezing, even in summer because the "suits" adjust the temperature thing. :crying:

See y'all next week! :hug:

cam90066
06-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Fab job on the cable cardi!

I just picked up some Saucy at my LYS...they're having anniversary yarn sale. Got it for 3.79/skein! I have to be very budget conscious (even 3.79 is tad steep for me) but it is SO nice to work with and I'm in SoCal where cotton/cotton blends are a must. Might have to find way to splurge and grab a few more altho wish their color selection was bigger.

BTW, I'm doing crazy quilt/patchwork afghan from acrylic stash (6x6 sqs...I've got 17 done so far). Having fun doing each in diff st pattern plus it's such fast, mindless work. Any pics of yours?

cam

Rorshach
06-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I really like that closure on your cardi, is that cabled or just I cord?

ArtLady1981
06-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I really like that closure on your cardi, is that cabled or just I cord?

Hi'ya Rorshach! It is I-cord! I like the look of this closure, too! Can hardly wait to get to it!

ArtLady1981
06-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Fab job on the cable cardi!

I just picked up some Saucy at my LYS...they're having anniversary yarn sale. Got it for 3.79/skein! I have to be very budget conscious (even 3.79 is tad steep for me) but it is SO nice to work with and I'm in SoCal where cotton/cotton blends are a must. Might have to find way to splurge and grab a few more altho wish their color selection was bigger.

BTW, I'm doing crazy quilt/patchwork afghan from acrylic stash (6x6 sqs...I've got 17 done so far). Having fun doing each in diff st pattern plus it's such fast, mindless work. Any pics of yours?

cam

Hi Cam! I am blocking 21 patches...and 15 are ready to be washed and blocked. Phew. They certainly do take time! They are 8"x8"...and I might revise my original plan for 63 patches. I may go for 48 or 54.

First 3 photos show the 21 "washed and blocked" patches. The other 2 photos are obviously the 15 unwashed, unblocked patches! The first 21 patches looked all wonky, too, before I "tamed" them!

This will be my best Crazy Quilt yet!! I have one or two more red patches to knit...then about 6 emerald green, and then a few patches using all the remnants..."crazy patches" for the Crazy Quilt!

cam90066
06-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Artlady,

THANKS for the pics! I'm shooting for 63 and just passed the 30 mark....altho I may downsize, as well. I've yet to weave ends and all are in a 'rainbow stack.' (To make them more visually appealing. LOL) I've taken a short break while I attempt to wind recycled yarn (from thrift sweaters...a new obsession) into hanks. Oy. :( All my stash is acrylic so no point in attempting the blocking process. I'm still formulating how to do my joins. Thinking I'll probably crochet around each sq, then work them tog. (I want good definition around each sq.)

Do you have pics posted of any of your previous crazy quilts?

cam

ArtLady1981
06-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Hi, I have that magazine and have been eyeing the khaki cables sweater for a long time now. I really would like to have a go at making that one. Please keep us posted with your progress, would love to see the finished project. I am planning to do that sweater, just have to finish a few other items first.

Hey there flyingfingers! (cute handle!)

I will keep y'all posted on the progress. Had to sideline KHAKI CABLES whilst on a wilderness vacation this past week. Seems like a month. It is just waaaaay too windy on the bluff where our main camp is...and it would ruin my white cable cotton, I am sure. The wind kicks in real strong...and blows fine rocky sand all over. Makes a mess of your hair...and hands and feet (if you are in sandals)...and makes a mess out of light colored yarn and knitting! (been there...done that! :pout: )

As posted earlier, I have the BACK done entirely, and have my pattern 'groove' going! Am anxious to get going on it again tomorrow. This is Sunday...and our vacation doesn't end til midnight! I admit, today I finished another red square for my Crazy Quilt Afghan...and started an emerald green one. Just home from vacation, I feel like a zombie. The road trip coming home is grueling. I just don't travel well. I puff up and get all achy. What a sissy I am! I try to knit...and just can't...cuz I just can't get comfy. So I squirm around in my seat...take off my seatbelt...DH catches me...and back goes the seatbelt...pinning me down to a uncomfortable position. Not that going through the windshield would be more comfortable in case of a head-on! Ugh.

Well, here is me...on our bluff a few feet from our main camp...knitting a purple square for that Crazy Quilt. xxx
I don't usually take photos of me in camp attire. I look like crap when I'm camping. So, you will notice...no face shot! :eyes:

KnittingNat
06-18-2007, 03:00 AM
Welcome back!
The site is beautiful. Hope to see the progress on those Khaki cables :hug:

ArtLady1981
06-18-2007, 03:08 AM
Artlady,

THANKS for the pics! I'm shooting for 63 and just passed the 30 mark....altho I may downsize, as well. I've yet to weave ends and all are in a 'rainbow stack.' (To make them more visually appealing. LOL) I've taken a short break while I attempt to wind recycled yarn (from thrift sweaters...a new obsession) into hanks. Oy. :( All my stash is acrylic so no point in attempting the blocking process. I'm still formulating how to do my joins. Thinking I'll probably crochet around each sq, then work them tog. (I want good definition around each sq.)

Do you have pics posted of any of your previous crazy quilts?

cam

Hi Cam!

Ya know...my two previous Stash Yarn Crazy Quilt Afghans were knitted in my pre-digital camera period! I have photos...yes...but they were taken with the old 35mm. I will say this...I did single crochet around each square (black yarn)...and IT DID HIGHLIGHT them really well!

With this Crazy Quilt...I am thinking about using a 'mattress' stitch ...each square will butt up against it's neighboring square....I think. I really like the clean seam that mattress stitch gives. I don't think I want to bring black into the field of color.

I got one more red square done today...and am now halfway finished with the first emerald green square!

OH! Before I forget! ALL MY YARNS for this crazy quilt ARE ACRYLIC! Blocking really DOES HELP straighten the squares out!
Really! It also stretched some of the almost 8" squares to a good 8"! I really spritzed the tar out of them after they were nailed down to the blocking board...and left 'em to dry the whole week we were on vacation! Voila! They decided to knuckle under! :thumbsup:

Maybe we should start a STASH YARN CRAZY QUILT AFGHAN K-A-L!

KnittingNat
06-18-2007, 03:47 AM
I also wanted to make an afghan like that, but got annoyed after a few squares. So i'm reknitting it in rows, kind of oddball blanket. It's really fun and mindless knitting.

ArtLady1981
06-18-2007, 03:56 AM
Welcome back!
The site is beautiful. Hope to see the progress on those Khaki cables :hug:

Thanks Nat! It is good to be back! :waving:

Tomorrow morning I am going to wash and block 16 additional squares for the Crazy Quilt...and then...I will pull-l-l-l-l myself away from it...and get going on my KHAKI CABLES! It is so darn hard to ride two horses at one time!

Well, I guess I have to confess...if you read my signature...I am trying to ride about 5 or 6 horses at one time! Sigh. :pout:

ArtLady1981
06-18-2007, 04:02 AM
I also wanted to make an afghan like that, but got annoyed after a few squares. So i'm reknitting it in rows, kind of oddball blanket. It's really fun and mindless knitting.

The two previous Crazy Quilts that I knit a few years ago were a big PITA. I almost quit them, too!

This time, I am using the patterns in a book called 200 Knitted Blocks! All the pain and frustration is taken out of the process!!!!
The 200 'patterns' are mostly textured patterns...but lots are also 'color oriented' patterns...or have buttons and other notions added to give them character!

I like the idea you have though of doing the oddball blanket! It will work out just great! Be sure and post photos of your progress if possible!

KnittingNat
06-18-2007, 07:27 AM
The two previous Crazy Quilts that I knit a few years ago were a big PITA. I almost quit them, too!

This time, I am using the patterns in a book called 200 Knitted Blocks! All the pain and frustration is taken out of the process!!!!
The 200 'patterns' are mostly textured patterns...but lots are also 'color oriented' patterns...or have buttons and other notions added to give them character!

I like the idea you have though of doing the oddball blanket! It will work out just great! Be sure and post photos of your progress if possible!

Thank you for the support :cheering:! Before i can take pictures i need to move (1.5 weeks to go) and lay my hands on my dad's digi. I only have the old-fashioned stuff :??. Then i'll post the blanket, the baby sack (Ingrid-inspired) and sweater... The baby sack kind off sucked me into it. I'm stuck with the blanket as i packed my yarn :rofl:

cam90066
06-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Artlady!

Good to hear the black joins worked for you on previous version as that seems to be the most logical option for my current effort. (Think it would make the colors pop.) Good to know the blocking worked for your acrylic so I'll give that a try. I've 'blocked' a few acrylic pieces in the past (using light steam and pressing cloth). I don't have a nice blocking board like yours but I could throw my drop cloth over my cardboard cutting board and pin thru that. :)

cam

ArtLady1981
06-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Artlady!

Good to hear the black joins worked for you on previous version as that seems to be the most logical option for my current effort. (Think it would make the colors pop.) Good to know the blocking worked for your acrylic so I'll give that a try. I've 'blocked' a few acrylic pieces in the past (using light steam and pressing cloth). I don't have a nice blocking board like yours but I could throw my drop cloth over my cardboard cutting board and pin thru that. :)

cam

Hi Cam!

That is exactly what I did for years! My cutting board with plastic laid across it. I just pinned through the plastic into the cardboard. I got the plastic from the dry cleaner...and sometimes from the art canvasses that I get from my supplier! Anyway, a couple years ago I came into a little inheritance...and treated myself to a blocking board, wooden swift, and ball winder. (Thank you Mom and Dad!)

I washed and blocked 16 patches today. The 21 that were dry really turned out excellent! I had laundered the first 21 in the washer. That was certainly overkill. It also spun too much water out of them. I couldn't get them pinned fast enough. So today I washed the vacation 16 in the sink with a no-rinse lavendar-smelling wool wash and filled a BIG stainless steel soup pot with tepid water and fabric softener for the rinse. Squeezed the water out of them and laid them on terry towels...and off to the blocking board. I also turned a fan on them...so speed up the drying process.

I didn't get my KHAKI CABLES Right Front started yet. I remembered that I had to lengthen my NORO Iro poncho for our July wilderness trip. I made a great NORO poncho last year, fashionably waistlength...however, up on the mountain....longer is better. So, I had 4 skeins of the Iro (color 47) left in my Stash...and picked up 240 stitches along the bottom edge...and have been knitting away at it most of the afternoon. I placed two stitch marker every 120 stitches, and increase one each side of each marker every other row. Knit up one full skein, and will do one more and stop for a 'try-on'. I think I would like it to come down over my hips...like a cozy snug sack for sitting outside when it is major windy.

cam90066
06-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Yum...Iro #47!!! I've not ever seen it in person but brooklytweed made a scarf with it and I literally drool every time I take a gander at his pic. ::sigh::

cam

ArtLady1981
06-19-2007, 02:15 AM
I want to try to insert a photo directly into the body of this post. So here goes!

Oh WOW! I kept tinkering around with Photobucket...and VOILA! I did it! Yeah!!!! Now you can really see the details of the cabling! :cheering:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/KHAKICABLES002.jpg

KnittingNat
06-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Wow... :passedout:

LeslieRR
06-19-2007, 08:12 AM
That looks amazing! Maybe someday...I have some stash Bernat Satin - I wonder if that would work....

Great progress. You are a really quick knitter....I aspire to knit quickly too.

ArtLady1981
06-19-2007, 01:56 PM
That looks amazing! Maybe someday...I have some stash Bernat Satin - I wonder if that would work....

Great progress. You are a really quick knitter....I aspire to knit quickly too.

Hi Leslie! Thanks! I am glad you like it! The yarn you mentioned...
Bernat Satin...try making a swatch...cast on 20 st...using seed stitch, knit 20 rows in length...if it measures 4" x4"...the yarn will work. The length of the swatch is not as crucial as the width of the swatch. I used a size US7 needle with my "Saucy" cotton yarn.

As for being a quick knitter...I am not so quick really. I check my rows carefully at first...to be sure I have the pattern right. It is my belief: "better to knit correctly, and/or correct an error in a row before moving along several rows." Tinking and frogging are a waste of time...so, better to tink one row back to the error...than to frog 12 rows back to the error row!

But, the REAL REASON I get a lot of knitting done, seemingly quickly, is because I am at the point in my life where I can knit for 6 hours per day minimum usually. No kids at home anymore...and I am self-employed...so no need to get to a 5 am alarm! For sure, I knit from 9 pm til 3 am...then, sleep from 3 am til 9 am....and everything else falls into 9 am til 9 pm! But, since that doesn't include feeding the kids, putting kids down for naps, bathing the babies, dropping kids off the school, picking kids up from school, taking kids to soccer, cheering, and bringing them home again, volunteering at their school one day a week....well, the list goes on and on, doesn't it? Been there, done that. We raised FIVE children, all home at the same time...so...there was a day when it was a challenge for me to knit a few rows per week! :shrug:

I admire all of our KH knitters who may have very busy lives! Families at home, or maybe single knitters who have day-jobs plus college or graduate work! WOW! You are really SUPERWOMEN! I admire YOU!
The fact that you get any knitting done, plus are generous with your time in sharing a little of yourself here at KH...is AWESOME.

I want to give YOU all a big :cheering::cheering::cheering:WOW!:cheering::cheer ing::cheering:

UnspeakableJoy
06-19-2007, 02:51 PM
It's beautiful! I may have to play with cables before I try Silver's Sock Tutorial :)

KnittingNat
06-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I admire all of our KH knitters who may have very busy lives! Families at home, or maybe single knitters who have day-jobs plus college or graduate work! WOW! You are really SUPERWOMEN! I admire YOU!
The fact that you get any knitting done, plus are generous with your time in sharing a little of yourself here at KH...is AWESOME.

I want to give YOU all a big :cheering::cheering::cheering:WOW!:cheering::cheer ing::cheering:

After the day i had at work today, i really needed that hug :hug::hug::hug:.Thank you! I worked all the way through my degree, i finished last year, work full time job and finally have some time to read, knit, raise pets and make time for hubby, who works shifts and trying to get back to college. And all that before having children (and of course i'll keep my job after that...) Mmmm.... Now i see why you want to give us a hug :rofling:. I just try to be organized and focused. Big hugs :muah::muah::muah:

ArtLady1981
06-19-2007, 11:56 PM
It's beautiful! I may have to play with cables before I try Silver's Sock Tutorial :)

Hi there JOY! You know, cables are so incredibly easy. It is just matter of knitting stitches out of order! I have taught people the concept of cables using two toothpicks and a piece of dental floss.

For example...a cable I call a 2x2 cable is written as C4F. The "C" means "cable"..."4" means that 4 stitches are the players...and the "F" directs the way the cable will twist.

So...here is what ya do:

You knit across the row til you reach the stitch markers that embrace the 4 stitches...let's call the stitches A B C D. When you come to the marker...move Alice and Betty onto a cable needle and hang them in the front of the work...next, knit Charlotte and Denise...then, knit Alice and Betty off the cable needle. Voila! The four stitches are knit...but they changed places on the needle!

Usually a 2x2 cable is "worked" about every 6th row. So, on the other 5 rows, the 4 stitches are just knitted on the right side, and purled on the wrong side.

I taught some of my daughter's friends to knit last winter and after they got the garter stitch mastered...as well as casting on and binding off...I taught them to knit a simple scarf...that had a 2x2 cable running up the middle. We cast on about 26 stitches.
With the cable occupying the middle 4...plus a purl stitch on either side of the cable (for the ditch)...that left 10 plain stitches (st st) on either side of the cable and the ditches. (a purl stitch laying on each side of the cable twist creates a nice ditch, or border, on each side of the cable.

So, here is what a Right Side row looked like:
Knit 10 / Purl 1 / C4F / Purl 1 / Knit 10.
The C4F is only worked every 6th row.

So, we knit Rows 1 & 2 without cabling.
Row 3 was the cable row C4F "working row".
Rows 4, 5, 6, 1 & 2 were resting rows.
The next Row 3 was a "working row" that included the cable twist C4F.
And so on.

This is a nice exercise (the scarf) for someone to become comfortable with cables. If you want to make the scarf suitable for a child...just eliminate some of the stitches on either side of the cable. The scarf will be narrower for little necks!

A NOTE: many people don't like how stocking stitch rolls, especially with a scarf that won't be seamed eventually.
An alternative that removes the "roll factor"...is to implement "garter stitch" for the first 3 and last 3 of each row. You can also garter stitch 6 rows at the beginning of the scarf, just after the cast on.
And then end the last 6 rows with garter stitch. This makes a nice "showcase" for your work.

LeslieRR
06-21-2007, 06:23 PM
ArtLady - THANK YOU! You gave me the best "perk me up" that I've received in a while. I really needed to see/hear/get those kind words of encouragement!

Life is definitely interesting these days - We have a 5-1/2 month old boy, and 2 girls, aged 10 yrs and 12 yrs old. Life is very very busy, so if I'm fortunate, I get 15 minutes here and there to knit. But between running around for the girls and their activities, and taking care of the baby and trying to get the housework done, well, often the knitting goes by the wayside. I feel fortunate to even get laundry folded and put away....usually we just have a mountain of clean laundry to pick thru! (there I've shared my deepest darkest secret with you)

I"m not meaning to whine or sound unhappy, because I'm not at all! I love our lives and our girls! Sleep deprivation gives a little edge to it all, and sometimes brings me down.

So thanks for the lovely thoughts~!:hug:

ArtLady1981
06-21-2007, 06:48 PM
ArtLady - THANK YOU! You gave me the best "perk me up" that I've received in a while. I really needed to see/hear/get those kind words of encouragement!

Life is definitely interesting these days - We have a 5-1/2 month old boy, and 2 girls, aged 10 yrs and 12 yrs old. Life is very very busy, so if I'm fortunate, I get 15 minutes here and there to knit. But between running around for the girls and their activities, and taking care of the baby and trying to get the housework done, well, often the knitting goes by the wayside. I feel fortunate to even get laundry folded and put away....usually we just have a mountain of clean laundry to pick thru! (there I've shared my deepest darkest secret with you)

I"m not meaning to whine or sound unhappy, because I'm not at all! I love our lives and our girls! Sleep deprivation gives a little edge to it all, and sometimes brings me down.

So thanks for the lovely thoughts~!:hug:

Leslie, you have your priorities straight! :notworthy: Family first, and all else falls into place!

Thanks for your kind words as well! :waving:

ArtLady1981
06-25-2007, 04:08 AM
Well, I finally got rollin on my LEFT FRONT for KHAKI CABLES! Have about 15" done, and am beginning the neckline and armhole edging!

Will post a photo later! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Stopped work on it for two days to get the seaming done on my OPAL cardigan! I posted photos of it in a new WHATCHA KNITTING thread, if you are interested HERE (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=60983) is a link to the OPAL thread. :thumbsup:

GinnyG
06-25-2007, 05:27 AM
LOVELY!!!

It's still on my :waah:list, unfortunately I'm in the midst of 18 neon yellow caps for my ambulance squad

ArtLady1981
06-25-2007, 05:35 AM
LOVELY!!!

It's still on my :waah:list, unfortunately I'm in the midst of 18 neon yellow caps for my ambulance squad

O I feels ya! :grphug: You'll get there!! Neat thing you are doing there...the neon yellow caps for your ambulance squad! :thumbsup:

KnittingNat
06-25-2007, 02:14 PM
hey! It's great you have some progress:cheering: My knitting is buried between boxes, i can't even reach. And besides, it's too hot to knit - 37-38C.:hot: I saw the Opal cardigan - LOVELY!:passedout:

ArtLady1981
06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
hey! It's great you have some progress:cheering: My knitting is buried between boxes, i can't even reach. And besides, it's too hot to knit - 37-38C.:hot: I saw the Opal cardigan - LOVELY!:passedout:

Hi'ya Nat!

I was reading over your WIP's. I love the sweater for your DH!
About the "stranding" for the baby's gift: the hardest thing for me to "learn" is how loose you gotta carry the other yarn behind the working yarn! It must be carried much looser than you think. If you find that your work is "puckering"...it is because you are not carrying the resting yarn loose enough. Better to be too loose than too snug. I avoid colorwork with stranding because of this glitch. I fight the tension every inch of the way! But, it can be done, and the outcome is so worth it! That's my 2 cents for today! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
06-27-2007, 03:46 AM
Well, phew!

The BACK and the LEFT FRONT of Khaki Cables are DONE!
Won't block them until all 5 pieces are done. I will also "tweak"
the ropey cables. Maybe blocking will tweak them. To block the pieces of this sweater I will actually hand-wash them in cool water with a tad bit of this no-rinse sweater wash. Since the sweater is pure pure white, I am sure I have handoils all over everything, plus the hand lotion I use to refresh my hands.

Well, here are the two pieces! The first photo is the BACK with LEFT FRONT sitting on top of it. The second photo is the BACK by itself.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1944.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1945.jpg

GinnyG
06-27-2007, 05:31 AM
WHERE do ypu find the time????????????????????

LOVELY:heart:

ScandaKnitvian
06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
That is gorgeous!!! I have a Q...would it be difficult to lengthen that sweater a bit? I'm very tall. Would that be way too hard to figure out with the cables and everything?

Beautiful work!

Patty

LeslieRR
06-27-2007, 08:41 AM
ArtLady, that is turning out GORGEOUS!

ArtLady1981
06-28-2007, 02:54 AM
That is gorgeous!!! I have a Q...would it be difficult to lengthen that sweater a bit? I'm very tall. Would that be way too hard to figure out with the cables and everything?

Beautiful work!

Patty

Hi Patty! :waving:

I did lengthen it for myself! I made mine 4" longer than called for.
The original pattern shows it sitting just below the waist, not quite a "cropped look".

It was super easy to lengthen. All ya do is knit more length before started the armhole bind-offs. I made my armhole length according to pattern.

Bear in mind, that cables really suck up the yarn. If you are going to lengthen a cabled sweater, buy the extra yarn accordingly.

ArtLady1981
06-28-2007, 03:01 AM
WHERE do ypu find the time????????????????????

LOVELY:heart:

Hi Ginny! :waving: Well, I knit 8 hours per day...2 hours during the day in bits and pieces...and continuously from 9 pm til 3 am. I sleep from 3 am til 9 am...and everything else happens from 9 am til 9 pm.

Our 5 children are married and out of the house! It is just DH, me, our canary, and our 4 dogs!

I have been self-employed in the field of art consulting and sales for 26 years. My work is like many decorators...most of the work is done here in my home office and sutdio...and meetings with the clients on Fri, Sat and Sun.

When all 5 children were home...I was fortunate to knit a couple rows a day, if that! :eyebrow:

KnittingNat
07-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Hey ArtLady! I'm back from moving and can't wait to see your progress! :hug:

ArtLady1981
07-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Hey ArtLady! I'm back from moving and can't wait to see your progress! :hug:

:hug: WELCOME HOME! :hug: I haven't cast on for the Right Front just yet. I have posted photos of the BACK and LEFT FRONT a little bit ago. If you haven't seen them, they are either on this page or the next one back!

I am finishing up the final 2 squares for that CRAZY QUILT AFGHAN for my dear granddaughter. I just wanna get it out of my hair and DONE! I have another crazy quilt all planned out for our July and August trips to the wilderness...so this one is like about as exciting as :shrug:....I dunno what! I am excited to get it GIFTED to Laila!

I will finish the final 2 squares tonight, and will also probably begin the seaming. I have already washed and blocked all the squares.

Then I will cast on for my KHAKI CABLES Right Front. I have til the 15th of July to work on KHAKI CABLES...then we leave for another week in the wilderness, where the dusty high winds make it impossible to work with pure white yarn! Also, didja know...pure white yarn attracts certain little teeny weeny black bugs to it?
These little bugs drop from the alpine trees...and they are smaller than fleas...but they are NOT fleas. They are shiny, and they kinda wiggle, or twist, to move. They will worm themselves into your knitting. That is why I don't wear white shirts on the mountain either. It attracts those darn black bugs. Some months are worse than others...but I can never remember which month is their turn to torment me! I knit a white SILKY WOOL pullover one summer...while on the mountaintop...and that's when I discovered these bugs!
Then, when I wore a white shirt one time...but had colored knitting...the little buggers were all over my shirt!!

Does anyone know what these little bugs are?? I think they have a little pinchy bite, too. But, not like mosquitoes or fleas. Just a little pinch.

ArtLady1981
07-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, FINALLY! I have both FRONTS and the BACK done! I cast on for the sleeves last night.

Here is a photo update!

The fronts, right off the needles. They will need washing, blocking, and tweaking.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1980.jpg

The BACK.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_1945.jpg

soobeeoz
07-10-2007, 09:04 AM
That's such an elegant design, and the stitches stand out beautifully in white. :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of the FO.

KnittingNat
07-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Pretty!!! Hope to post some FO's soon....:??

cam90066
07-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Sweater is coming along fabulously! Such great stitch detail. :)

cam

ArtLady1981
08-05-2007, 05:24 AM
:waving: HI!

My two FRONTS, the BACK, the two SLEEVES are WASHED AND BLOCKED....and are ready for seaming, along with the 2x2 ribbing up the fronts and around the neckline! I will try to create that self-yarn frog, too!

This thing should be done by Monday! :woot: There is still some summertime weather!

GinnyG
08-05-2007, 07:40 AM
PICTURES PLEASE!!

lestrella
08-05-2007, 08:51 AM
You are amazing!!! I really admire all your work. I hope one day I can be as good as you. I still have a lot to learn...

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 02:40 AM
You are amazing!!! I really admire all your work. I hope one day I can be as good as you. I still have a lot to learn...

Hi Lestrella! :waving: Thanks so very much for your kind words and compliments! Everyone here at KH is so way ahead of me...because you are HERE early in your knitting career! You skills will expand as you continue to knit and challenge yourself! The monthly KAL's are quite a good idea! It helps all of us challenge ourselves with a new type of knitting each month! Not in competition with others, but in just challenging yourself! Then, when you post your progress within the KAL Monthly Challenge...we can all support you, answer questions, and give you big hugs!

I came on board late, but at least I AM HERE FINALLY! :grphug:

I am going to participate in August's Challenge (a cable project)...however, I chose a pattern that is more difficult than usual. I have had it tagged as HOT for quite some time, but kept putting it off to do easier projects. So, I am going to bite the bullet, and cast on for it tomorrow or Tuesday!

Depends on how quickly this KHAKI CABLES cardigan "finishing techniques" comes along.

I now see that I am going to have to block the 2x2 ribbing that runs up both Fronts and neckline. It is a little wavy. I probably picked up a few too many stitches. I knew I was risking it, but at least I won't have to frog it and re-knit it.

I also have to try out making that I-cord FROG CLOSURE!

Well, whilst the ribbing is blocking, I will cast on for BORGHILD, my Viking Knits cabled cardigan...for the AUGUST CHALLENGE!

ArtLady1981
08-06-2007, 02:43 AM
PICTURES PLEASE!!

:thumbsup: Will do! About Wednesday I think. I am going to have to block the 2x2 ribbing that runs along the Fronts and neckline. :pout: It is kinda wavy. I cast on a few too many stitches. I think the blocking with a soppy wet handtowel on top of the ribbing will do the trick! :thumbsup: Also, the hot weather is our friend when we are blocking something! Really expedites the drying!

Gotta make that FROG CLOSURE, too...or at least TRY.
I can always go to Plan B: a ready-made silver "clasp closure". :wink: