PDA

View Full Version : Canceled knitting classes

Silver
05-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Tomorrow was to be my very first knitting class, and I had another on Saturday. (FYI, I'm the new knitting teacher at my local Joanns.) I had to cancel both classes due to lack of students. Only one student signed up for each class and I have a 3 student minimum. I wouldn't HATE teaching one student, but it's a lot of preparation for one student, and just $30. :-?

I was sooooo looking forward to teaching and I HATED having to call my one student to tell her class was canceled. Hopefully I'll have more sign ups for next month! :pout:

Jeremy
05-31-2007, 01:15 PM
I was in that situation recently and it really is a bummer. I went ahead and taught the class anyway and two people wandered into the shop and joined. You might consider teaching anyhow as kind of a "loss leader" so word gets around about how great a knitter and teacher you really are.

Silver
05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Well it's already done. I called my students and let my education coordinator know. So what's done is done.

But you have a good point. I won't cancel next month. If I have one student, I'll teach one student! :)

debinoz
05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
So sorry to hear that. I know how much you were looking forward to it.

If I were closer I'd love to take a class from "Silver, the great!"

iza
05-31-2007, 01:39 PM
That's sad... They don't know what they're missing!!! :teehee: I'm sure you'll have more students eventually. :thumbsup:

PaperGirl
05-31-2007, 01:40 PM
So sorry to hear that. I know how much you were looking forward to it.

If I were closer I'd love to take a class from "Silver, the great!"

Meee tooo! :woot:

brendajos
05-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Is your Joanns doing a good job advertising in the store about the class? When I first started, I didn't even consider calling Joanns, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby about classes. Never noticed any advertising for it. I do see it more now but at that time it wouldn't have even crossed my mind. :shrug:

stitchwitch
05-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Where in Florida is this? If it's in the Tampa Bay area I'll join your next class!!!:cheering:

auburnchick
05-31-2007, 05:51 PM
:hug:

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I know you must have been psyched for the classes!!

Silver
05-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Is your Joanns doing a good job advertising in the store about the class? When I first started, I didn't even consider calling Joanns, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby about classes. Never noticed any advertising for it. I do see it more now but at that time it wouldn't have even crossed my mind. :shrug:
Well I thought they were... there's a big wall right at the front of the store with all the class info and displays. I made a display board for my classes. You can see it here (http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/misc/DSC00612.JPG). It's only been up for a couple weeks though, so maybe I'll get more interest for my July classes.

Where in Florida is this? If it's in the Tampa Bay area I'll join your next class!!!:cheering:
Oh, only 3 hours northeast of you near Jacksonville. C'mon, that's not too far, is it? :teehee: Hey, I'll teach you to knit socks too! :)

stitchwitch
05-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Oh, only 3 hours northeast of you near Jacksonville. C'mon, that's not too far, is it? :teehee: Hey, I'll teach you to knit socks too! :)

I was just in St. Augustine this past weekend. It's a little far though, even for the sock lesson. :roflhard::roflhard:

Silver
05-31-2007, 06:43 PM
I was just in St. Augustine this past weekend. It's a little far though, even for the sock lesson. :roflhard::roflhard:
Bah! Well, I'll be in Tampa for The Police concert... but just overnight. So, you should come up here.:thumbsup:

Sanibelle
05-31-2007, 06:44 PM
I wish you taught your classes in NY.....

Silver
05-31-2007, 06:45 PM
I wish you taught your classes in NY.....
You should come to Orange Park too. NY isn't that far away either. *big cheesy grin*

dustinac
05-31-2007, 08:27 PM
:hug:I hope next month you have more interest... maybe the one peson who did will sign up again.. and then once you get her hooked.. she will tell her friends and before you know it a lot of new addicted knitters...:teehee:

Inis
05-31-2007, 09:33 PM
It could just be the time of year. Summer is pretty out-door-busy for a lot of families.

While working my first knitting project in July of last year, someone laughed at me and said knitting was a winter thing.:roflhard:

Silver
05-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, well in Florida, if we waited to knit during the "winter", I'd have about 3 weeks a year to get any knitting done.

Little do they know, now's the perfect time to start knitting Christmas presents!