PDA

View Full Version : Tulip Baby Sweater anyone??

Quiltlady
05-31-2007, 07:12 PM
The Yarn Harlot recently posted pictures of the Tulip Baby cardigan that she was working on. I fell in love with it.:inlove:

After doing some "research" I found a shop in MN that sells the kit. I just ordered it today and was wondering if anyone else is interested and would like to join me in knitting one. Below is a link to the sweater and the shop that has the kit at a good price.:happydance:

http://coldwatercollaborative.com/index.html

You can also check out the "Yarn Harlots" website and scroll down a bit and you'll see her's too. I think its just beautiful.:hug:

Josie
06-01-2007, 05:02 PM
I saw that same sweater and fell in love with it, too! Do you happen to know any information on the sizing? I could maybe justify making it for my daughter, but she'd probably need an 18 month... I think it's beautiful! :inlove:

jmp3775
06-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I called the shop to check the sizing, and was told its 6-9 size, only. The pattern, not just the kit. Weird. Dont know that I've ever seen a pattern written for 1 size!

mare-nitt
06-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Quiltlady, do you know what skill level this pattern is rated, and is it knit on circulars or sections.

I really want to make a baby sweater, although I have no one to give it to. But this one is cute and cheery.

Marilynn

pvsduck
06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
I am definitely interested too, but I've never made a sweater before. Would this be a good first sweater? The idea of doing my first sweater as a KAL sounds good, and a baby sized one sounds like a good place to start too.

Is it made top down, seamless on circulars?

Thanks.
Patricia

pvsduck
06-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I Googled the Tulip Baby Sweater and found the answers to my questions in someone's blog. The sweater is knit top down without seaming. I'm going to try ordering a kit. I'll have a new great-niece in August. This might be the perfect Christmas present for her!

Quiltlady
06-10-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm sorry I didn't check back at this thread after I checked it a few times.

I finished the sweater. It is very good for a beginner. IT is not made in the circular even tho I do use my circular needles for most of my knitting.

I got the kit here, they also sell just the pattern and even just the yarn as a "refill".

http://www.coldwateryarn.com/

I got my kit in TWO days after calling in my order. I am very pleased with their service.

Here is my sweater...

kristinw
06-10-2007, 08:44 PM
So cute! You sure did finish it quickly!!

Quiltlady
06-11-2007, 07:04 AM
To be honest, I do knit really quickly. It's when I don't understand the directions that it puts me off for a few days. I do everything fast...except lose weight.:pray:

pixiepurls
06-17-2007, 11:37 AM
I had e-mailed threadbear wanted to buy this kit but they still havn't replied to my e-mail so I'm tryign the company ya'll are reccomending. I would like to knit it too!! Threadbear has a load of colorways availible too, btu I want the original so I don't care where i order it from lol.

Doodknitwit
06-17-2007, 12:56 PM
yes i'm having trouble getting the pattern...:wall:

Quiltlady
06-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I ordered my kit from the site below. I got it in TWO days. I am thrilled with their service.:cheering:

http://www.coldwateryarn.com/

pixiepurls
06-28-2007, 02:27 PM
I also ordered from coldwater, they got backlogged and it took them 6 more days then they origianl said to send it out but dang it got here in 2 days when they did send it, and they wrote me a nice email after i emailed them to ask on the status. I think they are high in demand and thats the only reason it took them so long, but once they shipped it BAM it got here fast and they are very nice.

So I have my kit, I might cast on tonight :)

Quiltlady
06-28-2007, 03:10 PM
They do have great service. Isnt' the yarn nice? I'd love to have a hank of each color but they are around $17.00 each.:oo:

Quiltlady
06-28-2007, 04:10 PM
I just found this sweater online and it looks a LOT like the Tulip one I made.....this pattern is free.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTtigger.html
:rollseyes:

pixiepurls
06-28-2007, 04:37 PM
It does look a lot like it, one major difference is that tulip is knit raglan style, that knitty one has seamed in sleeves. just FYI! Both are adorable.

pixiepurls
06-29-2007, 01:53 PM
I started last night, I can't wait to get the sleeve stitches onto a holder, then stuff will really go fast!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1210/662255981_1726d12561.jpg

Jan in CA
06-29-2007, 02:00 PM
I can't wait till I get this pattern and someone to knit it for. It's so cute! It looks like they add the new color on the RS that creates that little detailing?

pixiepurls
06-29-2007, 02:11 PM
it's just a k1p1 and because you do that ON the color change row it creates that odd ripple effect. Its pretty though! i think they do it so the color transitions are less like a hard line.

IrishKnitter
07-01-2007, 05:31 PM
The people at my LYS are the ones behind both the pattern and the yarn for this one! :cheering: I was just in there yesterday, and they said they've had TONS of orders for it...they can barely keep up. When it rains, it pours, I suppose! :teehee:

pixiepurls
07-04-2007, 02:03 AM
well the whole entire i-cord stuff at the end has frustrated me really badly so I am making up my own edging now... ugh. I followed the instructions but I'm not on the right sides to do it and then they have you do the icord around the neck seperate and I have no patience for it. I'll make sure to post pics with my modifcations once I am done...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1010/699349515_1693d9f857.jpg

Quiltlady
07-04-2007, 05:04 AM
pixie, I also had problems with the Icord. I know how to do it and have done it before but when attaching it to this ...something is just "off". I improvised also.

Your sweater is coming out beautiful. :cheering:

Quiltlady
07-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Boy, take a look at this site. They are offering the sweater in MANY colorways....

http://www.threadbearfiberarts.com/article/070610tulipkits.php

I like the bottom two for a boy.:inlove:

pixiepurls
07-05-2007, 10:15 AM
I emailed threadbeart on the 15th of June and got a reply YESTERDAY telling me to CALL them to order it. Good thing coldwater responded first :) and even they are behind too but they atleast let me know how long my wait would be.

Here is my modified neckline:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1121/721618401_3f68547440.jpg

I didn't do the i-cord, sintead I did seed stitch all the way around, pretty easy and fast too. Too bad it took me 2 days of starring at it to decide to do that lol.

Quiltlady
07-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Pixie, I like what you did BETTER than the I Cord. As I said before, I had trouble with the I cord. If I do another one I will do as you did. The seed stitch all around. IT looks nicer.:cheering:

mare-nitt
07-06-2007, 06:28 PM
These sweater are sure cute. I know what you mean about the I cord, I just had to learn how to do it as an attached I cord for a project, and it was ackward at first.

But the seed stitch looks great.

Marilynn

Quiltlady
07-07-2007, 07:27 AM
I just love that yarn used in those sweaters. If I were a wealthy gal I'd buy a hank of every color. I think they were close to $20.00 each when I called and asked about it.:rollseyes:

But yesterday I went to a yarn shop in Woodstock, NY and bought a beautiful big hank of Alpaca that is hand dyed pinks and I paid over $41.00 for it. :oo: So maybe eventually I can start to buy some of those hanks used in the sweater for my stash.:think:

pixiepurls
07-07-2007, 11:24 AM
well I got the kit for $30 lol so that wasn't too awful, but ya know it's a really nice wool. It says its fine australian, and its so SRPINGY and it's superwash! I'm not normally a fan of such bulky yarn but it really is nice, I can see why it's the price it is, and it's not at all splitty.

pixiepurls
07-07-2007, 10:15 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1389/750110359_35e4bdc7a6.jpg

I procrastinated ALL DAY and finally did this sleeve, I hope to do the other one tommorow!

Jan in CA
07-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Oh my gosh that is cute, Pixiepurls!!

jeanius80
07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
do any of you know if just the pattern is available? this is tooo cute! i'd like topurchase the kit, butits out of my price range right now... thanks! Pixiegirl, i love the seed stitch boarder!:inlove:

pixiepurls
07-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Well I think you could make it up pretty easy right, just find an online pattern for a baby that is raglan knit top down. Find one with a ribbed or seed stitch collar, it would be easy to swap out the seed stitch.

Then if you LOOk at the pattern it's easy to tell that when they switch colors they do a k1p1 for 1 row when they change color. Its stockinette stitch otherwise. You really don't need a pattern for it unless you want to do the i-cord and I have no idea how that is done and it confused me but I bet you could find other patterns with i-cord edging. I say go for it on your own.

Jan in CA
07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
do any of you know if just the pattern is available? this is tooo cute! i'd like topurchase the kit, butits out of my price range right now... thanks! Pixiegirl, i love the seed stitch boarder!:inlove:

YES! You can! The link is in the first post or so. I want to order it, too.

BTW..I tried to attach a screen shot and it failed. :x

Doodknitwit
07-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Pixie it sure turned out cute!! Neat idea for the edging

:waving:

jmp3775
07-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Can someone tell me the gauge specs on this? My pattern should be here tomorrow and I'd like to work on some gauge swatches with the yarn I'm subbing.