PDA

View Full Version : center pull ball for sock yarn?

cnit
05-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi folks,
I am looking forward to knitting my first socks. My first question is: should I wind the fingering weight yarn (Marks & Kattens Clown sock yarn) into a center pull ball or is that not necessary? Thanks so much for your help, :heart:Carol

suzeeq
06-01-2007, 12:04 AM
If it's already in a skein (not a hank) that you can pull from easily, I can't see why you'd need to...

mamapaulsel
06-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Hi~
This may sound stupid but I'm going to ask anyway. How do you wind a center pull yarn? I'm fairly new to knitting and am eager to learn all that I can. Thanks!:think:

Shandeh
06-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Here's a guide I found online:
http://www.onceuponapattern.com/custom/pullskein.html

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Amy has a very good video here that show you how to wind a center pull ball. I always wind my yarn that way as I find them easier to handle and deal with than a skein.

kemp
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi~
This may sound stupid but I'm going to ask anyway. How do you wind a center pull yarn? I'm fairly new to knitting and am eager to learn all that I can. Thanks!:think:

When you get totally addicted to knitting ;) you may want to invest in a swift and ball winder...makes the process a lot easier and quicker!

HamaLee
06-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I tend to make a very tangly center pull ball if I use my own two hands....so I cut a slit in a toilet paper or paper towel roll (the cardboard thingy in the middle) and wrap the ball around that. Works perfectly!

rebecca
06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I always wind all of my yarn, can't help it, it looks so pretty and then easily slips into one of my cool yarn holders (my newest passion!).

cnit
06-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks everybody for the responses. I was leaning more towards not winding the sock yarn into a ball. I am lazy! Thanks for explaining why. i learned how to wind a center pull ball from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Glossary DVD (I bought it from Amy). This DVD is very helpful.
:heart: Carol