PDA

View Full Version : Winding KP Shine into balls

Momto G B and H
05-31-2007, 11:45 PM
I tried winding the KP shine worsted into balls today because I hate their little skeins. It didn't work very well, and I even kept tension on the yarn. Like others have said, my yarn was quite knotted in the middle.
Is it just because the yarn is kind of slick that it's hard to wind into center pull balls?

jmp3775
06-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Hmmm, I've never had a problem. You're using a winder? I use my winder and start from the outside of the skein. When I am knitting from the cake and it gets close to the end it gets a littke tangly, but not when I'm winding.

Mommy22alyns
06-01-2007, 10:50 AM
:?? If anyone figures it out, please let me know! It's so soft, but those skeins really get me frustrated! I literally threw out two whole skeins because of the terrible knotted mess.

And I still have my older daughter's jumper to knit. :shock:

meg9
06-01-2007, 11:39 AM
After ruining a knotty shine skein once, I now knit from the outside tail, and when the ball gets small enough, I use the inner tail to roll into a regular (not CP) ball.
I've heard that knitting from the outside tail can cause your piece to bias? But this has never happened to me, and is much better than the mess I'm faced when it knots up like that!

mwedzi
06-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I've heard that knitting from the outside tail can cause your piece to bias? But this has never happened to me, and is much better than the mess I'm faced when it knots up like that!

I just can't imagine why in the world that would be the case.:think:

turtlegirl76
06-01-2007, 04:01 PM
A non-wool (or non-animal fiber) yarn will not react well in a center pull ball situation because it has nothing to grip against to help keep it's form and prevent yarn barfs of astronomical and devasting proportion. It is recommended that you pull these types of fibers from the outside of the ball rather than the inside to prevent it falling to bits. Tis the nature of the fibers.

The book No Sheep For You has a fabulous explanation of this phenomenon.

losnana
06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
I've never heard this before! Although now that you mention it, the trouble I've had has mostly been with non-animal yarns. From now on I'll wind only animal yarns. I'm making a Wonderful Wallaby from KP Shine now and am just knitting from the outside of the cake.

Jean_B
06-02-2007, 09:29 AM
[A non-wool (or non-animal fiber) yarn will not react well in a center pull ball ]

My SW Trading bamboo worked great as a center pull right from the wrapper. I worked from a jar type yarn container so there was little handling of the yarn while knitting. Other types of yarn has turned into a nightmare after a while and I've resorted to cutting it and starting from the outside of the ball.

Jean

turtlegirl76
06-06-2007, 03:24 PM
[A non-wool (or non-animal fiber) yarn will not react well in a center pull ball ]

My SW Trading bamboo worked great as a center pull right from the wrapper. I worked from a jar type yarn container so there was little handling of the yarn while knitting. Other types of yarn has turned into a nightmare after a while and I've resorted to cutting it and starting from the outside of the ball.

Jean

SWTC Bamboo is presented in a SKEIN, not a ball. The winding structure is a bit different.