PDA

View Full Version : Slipped stitch edge for stockinette

cookworm
06-01-2007, 12:33 AM
If you want to make a piece of stockinette fabric with a slipped stitch edge, I thought you're supposed to slip the first stitch purl-wise and bring the yarn to the back to knit the knit rows, but is there anything special I should be doing on the purl rows? Should I be slipping that first stitch knitwise, or continue slipping it purlwise, even though I wouldn't be bringing the yarn to the back? :scratchinghead:

I need a nice edge so I can pick up stitches there.

knitqueen
06-01-2007, 12:53 AM
On the purl rows, slip the first stitch purlwise, purl to the last stitch then knit the last stitch of the row.

A good link describing 'chain selvedge' can be found here (http://www.wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/index.php/Yarnpath/stupid_knitting_tricks_the_chain_selvedge/).

A little word of caution though. By doing this, you will only have half as many 'stitches' along each edge for picking up since the edge stitches are only actually knitted every other row. You have to make sure that this will be enough stitches to use for picking up. Generally when I'm picking up stitches along an edge I'll pick up stitches on approx 4 out of every 5 rows or sometimes 3 out of every 4 rows, depending on the project. So if you've done a slip stitch edging and are intending to pick up stitches, even if you pick up in every loop you will only be doing 1 out of every 2 rows. Does this make sense? I just worry that you'd end up with a bunchy edge that wouldn't lay quite flat with the number of stitches you'd end up with.

HamaLee
06-01-2007, 10:02 AM
There are lots of ways to make a nice selvedge. I knit combined when doing large patches of stockinette and here's how I do my selvedge:

On the knit side: slip the first stitch purlwise, knit tbl across to last stitch, knit the last stitch tbl

On the purl side: slip the first stitch purlwise, purl across to last stitch, knit the last stitch regularly (ie, not tbl).

It makes a really nice even edge for me.

knitqueen has a point about making sure you'll have enough stitches to pick up from. It makes picking up a lot easier for me though.

aylaanne
06-01-2007, 01:24 PM
I've always just purled the last stitch, and I think it makes a fine edge. :shrug:

cookworm
06-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Thank you for pointing out about picking up stitches (making sure I have enough)--I never would've thought it would've been a problem. I've always picked up stitches when following a pattern, so that kind of stuff was always calculated for me; I'm making my own pattern right now and it's a VERY good, important fact to know!