PDA

View Full Version : OT - Virus Warning

DotMom61
06-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Well, I almost fell for it ... I was just cleaning out my junk email box when I saw that "someone" had sent me a BlueMountain eCard. So, I opened it up, and somethin' didn't quite look right (other than the fact that it was in my spam box) ... so I searched online and found:

Spoofed Blue Mountain eCards (http://www.interactiveonline.com/blog/2007/05/03/new-hoax-spoofed-blue-mountain-ecards-2/)

The cards ask you to download a "Macromedia Flash Plugin" which is actually a virus.

So ... beware. Stoopid spammers :wall:

mintdee
06-01-2007, 10:15 AM
yuck! That is good to know. Thanks .Mommy :hug:

DotMom61
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
You're welcome, Sandy!! :muah:

stitchwitch
06-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I got that same thing a little while ago. Since I didn't know who sent it I figured it was a mistake and didn't open it, now I'm glad. :grrr:Thanks for the heads up. :hug:

rebecca
06-01-2007, 12:36 PM
WE just recently had someone trying to hack into our PayPal acct. Thank God Paypal has a lot of safety measures and shut everything down! Why do people do these things?! I would never, in a million years give such things a though!

DotMom61
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
That's because YOU, Rebecca, are a NICE person!! :muah:

Sanibelle
06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I am not naive but it still amazes me how many people are out there trying to steal your information or mess up your computer.

Knitting_Guy
06-01-2007, 01:26 PM
You should never, ever download anything that comes in an email.

Better yet, just run Linux and you won't have to worry about it. :rofling:

RiverDaughter
06-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow, I actually got something similar from 123Greetings earlier this week. I opened it and saw it was spam (unfamiliar name in link), not that it would have done much to my computer anyway (Mac), but it gave me a brief fright.

Hope ya'll have safe computers though! :thumbsup:

knitasha
06-01-2007, 02:33 PM
River Daughter--
A Mac won't protect you from Mac-specific viruses or from worms carried by email. The reason that Macs don't get as many viruses as PCs is that PCs are a far larger, juicier target for the criminals who have something to gain from infecting computers -- the more the merrier. As far as I know, there's nothing inherent in Mac hardware that makes it virus-proof. The best defense for both Mac and PC users is to delete without opening any email from a name you don't know, and never to download stuff from emails. If you're interested in a download, just go to the site, find out if the offer is authentic, and download the material from there.

There's some interesting material on the subject here:
http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2003/07/va_mac2003.html

KnitClickChick
06-02-2007, 07:28 AM
I just got an "unpaid reminder" for an item at eBay. I knew I hadn't bid on anything, so I forwarded it to their spoof center. They confirmed that it had not come from them and was a fake. I get phished every once in a while. Washington Mutual saying something is wrong with my account, (I don't bank with them) PayPal saying a new user has been added to my account, etc. (I don't have a Paypal account). I always forward these to the real places. They always seem so real, I can understand how someone who is not aware these things happen can fall for it. It is a shame the number of people who try to take advantage of others. :!!!:

Susan P.
06-02-2007, 07:58 AM
A report came out here recently about the number of people..and people like doctors and lawyers etc...still being taken in my the "Nigerian scams". Over a 100,000 was sent last year by professionals in Queensland. I can only assume that these people have come to the net late.

I never open unsolicited email and double bin it and I've been told the best banking systems are those where you may transact online but the transaction can only be completed via a random number either sent to you on your mobile or by way of a handheld scrambler system. My son has one of those for his workplace and he is a systems security engineer (computing).

Knitting_Guy
06-02-2007, 08:33 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how many people fall for email scams like the Nigerian one every year. Truly incredible.

1knittychick
06-02-2007, 11:06 AM
:thumbsup:

Pepsi
06-04-2007, 02:57 PM
THANKS!!

Braden
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
*rant warning*

Okay, tell me one thing- Why are people so stupid? They know they can't get into someone else's PayPal/eBay account, and another thing, I wasn't born yesterday, so I kinda know not to download funny looking e-mail attachments, especially from someone I don't even know, So why don't they just give it up?!

*okay, I'm done :teehee:

stitchwitch
06-04-2007, 04:26 PM
I can see why some people fall for this stuff. I have several accounts at what I'll call BankX for security purposes. I use BankX's online features to check balances, etc. Well, one day I get what I think is a bogus phish email from them saying they are upgrading their security features, etc. I need to reregister. I delete it. Sure enough, when I go to log in next time I am prompted for the new security stuff. No big deal but they didn't even have the decency to send me a snail mail about it. Oh yeah, BankX is a prominent bank in the world. I called them and they give me a line about how to tell bogus emails from their's. Yeah, like I have time to play Sherlock Holmes to see if the email is real or not. :grrr:Now I wonder how many people who did update their log in via their email are now getting the phish email and entering their info into it? Quit sending stuff like that via email idiots and the phishers won't have any leverage.

bailsmom
06-04-2007, 04:32 PM
In the past 3 weeks I've gotten 4 emails, 2 from paypal and 2 from ebay claiming different things with my accounts. I opened the first one from the paypal acct it said I had charged over $100 on something so I of course paniced and clicked on it and my anti-virus caught it right away, thank god.

Now I know I'm getting crap emails.

Jerks. :!!!:

carmabelle1191
06-05-2007, 04:38 PM
I have been getting a lot of spam lately. I'll keep an eye out for this one. Thanks for the site with the tips and for mentioning it!

feministmama
06-05-2007, 07:46 PM
They do sort of come in waves don't they? For a couple of weeks I'll get the eBay and PayPal ones every day. Then nothing. Then I'll get the usual enlarge body parts ones. Then I get the Nigerians. then nothing. Then the whole cycle statrs again. Maybe they think some folks are new to the internet and are going in cycles till they get a new one. I mean that's what "phishing" is isn't it?

I work in a computer lab and periodically I see print jobs cuz I have to unjam the printer. I saw one guy who was printing up emails from.... someone from the Nigeria scam. Talking about his bank account and everything. Then he left some of the emails in the printer! With his personal info in them! I torn them up right away. So some people DO fall for it. I think he has autism. Whenever he comes in he never looks me in the eye, and is very distracted and kinda flaky.

kellyh57
06-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Then I'll get the usual enlarge body parts ones.

Don't you think those are kinda funny though. First off, I'm a female so I don't have the part that they are referring to. (Yeah, I know I have a either/or name.) Second of all, if these products worked, do you really think I'd buy them because someone emailed an offer to me? What do they know about my anatomy??? And, if they did work, wouldn't most men want some? We'd have to redesign men's clothing! I also get the enhancing your stamina type things too. I just laugh. They are quite humorous if you read them especially with the typos.

Kelly