PDA

View Full Version : Have You Used CARON SIMPLY SOFT???? My First Designed Pattern Please help Newbie!

Arielluria
06-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm designing my first pattern for a dog sweater and I decided to use Caron Simply Soft but I could swear it's stretching!!!!!!!!

I need something that doesn't stretch, one can't make a pattern for a Chihuahua that ends up fitting a Shih Tzu!!!!!!!!! It's got to remain the same.

Should I do it in an acryllic instead like Red Heart? That doesn't stretch!

1knittychick
06-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I've used it when I made a scarf (mixed with a fun fur) and I didn't have any problems.

psammeadred
06-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Simply Soft is acrylic too, so I don't think it's the material itself that's causing the stretching. What gauge are you using? If you're knitting loosely, it may sag. I knit Anouk from Knitty with Simply Soft, and it didn't stretch.

Arielluria
06-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks both! You're right it is acryllic too! DUH!

Well............perhaps the problem is the inc 1 on each side of the breast of the dog sweater????????????? It sort of causes the sweater to lie kind of on a bias????????

Any thoughts?
:muah:

Arielluria
06-02-2007, 11:00 AM
I've used it when I made a scarf (mixed with a fun fur) and I didn't have any problems.That sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!! Now I know what to make my dh's aunt in WA for Christmas ;)

Calamintha
06-02-2007, 08:28 PM
I'd use a superwash wool. Wool has a lot of crimp and doesn't sag the way acrylic does. You might try using some kind of ribbing pattern too. That will make it more elastic.

Arielluria
06-03-2007, 12:33 AM
I'd use a superwash wool. Wool has a lot of crimp and doesn't sag the way acrylic does. You might try using some kind of ribbing pattern too. That will make it more elastic.Thanks! I will.

Arielluria
06-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Simply Soft is acrylic too, so I don't think it's the material itself that's causing the stretching. What gauge are you using? If you're knitting loosely, it may sag. I knit Anouk from Knitty with Simply Soft, and it didn't stretch.It's so nice and soft I forgot it was acryllic :rollseyes:

I wanted to use a synthetic because it seems the dog hairs cling to natural fibers more than say a Red Heart - which is the acryllic I thought I should have used. Worked great for my other dog sweaters (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=52946).