PDA

View Full Version : Knitting for Baby, yarn choice?

AnaK
06-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I would like to know which yarn is the best to use?

I need to make 2 baby gifts and would like to use something realy nice. I am thinking of ordering it but with so many yarn brands it would be nice not to look at all of them.:??.
Thank you :hug:

auburnchick
06-02-2007, 05:22 PM
You know, I recently knitted a couple of baby hats/socks sets. For one of the sets, I used Lion Brand Homespun. Here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58423) a link to what it looks like knitted up.

cookworm
06-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I just made hat and booties using Caron's Simply Soft (worsted weight), and it is SO SOFT! They really came out pretty. I get mine at Michaels--they sell 7 oz./366 yard (198g/334m) skeins there, and I think they're under $3.00 per skein which makes it economical for such a generous sized skein.

I think Debbie Bliss makes some wool yarns (I think one of them is "Baby Cashmerino"? :scratchinghead:) if you'd rather go the animal fiber route; I've heard that yarn is very nice but don't know from personal experience. There are some nice cotton yarns out there too--I've heard Cotton Tots (Bernat) is very nice too. I just made myself a shawl out of Bernat's Denimstyle (worsted weight), which is a 70% acrylic/30% cotton blend, and it's incredibly soft, so I'm sure it's great to use for baby things too.

KnitClickChick
06-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Bernat Softee Baby or Lion Brand Baby Soft are both nice.

kschmitz
06-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Caron's Simply Soft is my go-to yarn for baby items, too.

nonny2t
06-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Depending on what the pattern calls for I am a big Caron Simply Soft fan and I am using Bernat Softee Baby right now for a hoodie jacket for my new grandson (when he decides to get here :lol:) and it is very soft and lovely. (BIG thanks to MoniDew for the yarn swap Bernat Baby Softee as I love it and it is knitting up so beautiful!!!)

AnaK
06-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Thank you all for suggestions.
Nathalie I just love the items you made.:inlove:

Brandilyne
06-02-2007, 09:45 PM
AnaK, I just started knitting a cute little baby stocking cap out of Baby Bee's Dreamy Baby Chenille and it's the softest stuff ever! If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they have a gazillion bajillion types of baby yarn in their line (http://www.craftsetc.com/store/department.aspx?dep=20&cat=62&subcat=0). I also bought some Sweet Delight Baby in a fun primary color stripe that feels soft. The HL by my house has swatches knit up in all of their yarns and the SD swatch was super soft with a great drape.

They also carry Bernat Cotton Tots, which feels very soft. I have two skeins in Lime Berry that are waiting to be made into either the baby kimono from Mason Dixon or the baby bolero from One Skein.

I'm think I'm going to make a baby blanket with Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, but I haven't knit with it yet, just groped it at the LYS :lol: I'm just hoping I can find it on sale in the next few months!

Braden
06-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Ever since KnitPicks introduced Swish Superwash, that's the yarn I use for all my baby garments. Caron works well, too.

Nathalie- GREAT STUFF!

Calamintha
06-03-2007, 09:10 PM
If you want something really nice, try some Dale of Norway's Baby Ull. It is a superwash merino yarn. It is fully machine washable and dryable. It is a fingering weight and comes in many colors. Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport is also really soft and is a superwash as well.

AnaK
06-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Those are some wonderfull suggestion.
Thank You:hug:

kellyh57
06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
A few things to remember when knitting for babies though...

Their skin is very sensitive. Animal fibers may not be the best route. I wouldn't want to make something that can't be used. Check with the parent before you go all out on animal fibers.

Also, make sure it's machine washable! Babies spit up and get things very dirty. Most parents don't want to waste time handwashing something that's used often. It'll get put away in the closet for "another time" and eventually forgotten! (I know. I got a lot of those gifts for my first baby!) Or, they'll forget it's not supposed to be machine washed and throw it in there....nobody wants a felted baby sweater/afghan! (Unless maybe it's a girl and she can use it for doll stuff later!)

Kelly