PDA

View Full Version : Where do you use novelty yarns?

Mommy22alyns
06-02-2007, 05:35 PM
A friend of mine on another site passed along some crochet hooks, a couple of skeins of yarn, and 12 little skeins of novelty "eyelash" yarn. I haven't had the nerve to look twice at a pattern involving this type of yarn, so where do you use this stuff? :?? Do you double strand it with "regular" yarn or what? I'd like to try & make something to gift back to her if I can.

KnitClickChick
06-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I loveeyelash yarn! It looks so pretty and feels soft. You could use it for just about anything. I made some scarves, a wrap, and a childs hat. Eyelash yarn is actually the reason I began knitting. My sister crochets, and made a hat for me. I wanted to crochet myself some scarves and while looking at the yarn, I saw a swatch made from eyelash. It was so pretty, I decided I wanted to crochet with that. Well, the lable said to use size # whatever it was needle. I looked high and low for that size crochet hook and couldn't find one. I knew that crochet needles went by letters, so I didn't understand why this particular yarn was calling for a needle with a number. I didn't know what to do, so I just grabbed one I thought would work. I made a couple of scarves, but was kind of upset that they looked different than the swatch I had seen in the store. A few weeks later, I was at the store again looking at that eyelash swatch. And then upon closer inspection of the lable on the yarn, I realized it said KNITTING needle. So I bought a how to book for knitting, a pair of needles, more yarn and learned how to cast on in the car on the way home. By the end of the night, I could knit and purl, and have been hooked ever since. :drool:

Jan in CA
06-02-2007, 09:56 PM
I used it once and won't again. I didn't like that it hid my hard worked stitches. However, it has it's value. Edging on sweaters, purses, etc are good places to use it.

Susan P.
06-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I have seen very very similar yarns run along say above a hem on a children's jumper or around the sleeve cuffs or collar..beautiful look but mainly I see these yarns on scarves. A neighbour used a yarn like that to make a vest but she didn't find it easy to knit/purl with it and only knitted. It looked "ok" but the garment really started to stretch after a few wears. I have sometimes used yarns like that on their own but often linked it with another just for the sake of having a item that won't go too loose to fast but it depends..you can make quite pretty over lace type scarves that will be fine. But, I admit I tend to play around with needle size and often go lower with those yarns. There's not a lot of point in picking fancy patterns as, like Jan suggests, you just don't see the stitching. So, a scarf either alone or with another yarn or double stranded..or..edging.
I DID make a blanket that asked for a similar yarn for edging and even though I double stranded it (pattern only asked for single) I regret having used it now. The rest of the blanket is a heavier wool and I wish I had matched it single strand with wool than two strands of the same. I can correct this in time if I want to however..

Doodknitwit
06-02-2007, 10:26 PM
:woohoo:you can use it on felted purses as a trim or felted slippers..
it works great. you carry it with the other yarn:psst:

snowbear
06-02-2007, 10:30 PM
I used it to crochet around my daughter's flip flops, lol. I've only used it in knitting on the edge of a scarf. You can use it with other yarn or alone.

On the flip flops my daughter loved them. I made her 5 pairs of the things..All different colors of course, lol

I used it on the scarf I knitted for breast cancer awareness.

Krystal
06-03-2007, 12:23 AM
You can use it when making stuffed animals. Like a teddy bear. it gives it the look of real fur. I think it is soo cool. Just depends on the length. the longer the lash the fuzzier the bear will be.

bellium
06-03-2007, 12:41 AM
i have only ever used the eyelash yarn and the like as a carry-along with another strand of a sturdier yarn - i have found that it can add fun and interest to some projects - have done a few scarves with it and particularly like the combo of two strands of fun fur or eyelash combined with a strand of lion suede or a chenille-type yarn - simple garter stitch works well, as you cannot see the stitches in the completed project. i also made a cat bed with fun fur and wool-ease - the kitties love it, and i get compliments on it from all the cat lovers who see it!

redwitch
06-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Or in the kitty pi pattern - cute! I don't like it myself, have a bit that I hope to use one day. It would be nice as a cuff added to mittens or gloves, I think.
Sarah

madametj
06-03-2007, 02:58 PM
you can double strand it with DK yarn to make a chemo cap, or u could make a fabulous garter stich scarf with it.