PDA

View Full Version : My Moss Stich is turnng into Rib stitch, Help?

suzymckeen
06-03-2007, 02:56 AM
:ick:

Hello. I am wondering if anyone can help me? I am trying to make a wrap around cardigan and the pattern is in moss stitch. I understand this to be an odd number of sts on the row and k1, p1 each row. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? My project is coming out as rib. I have taken it apart and re-knitted three times now..always ending up in a k1, p1 rib....I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you. Suzy

Susan P.
06-03-2007, 03:01 AM
I think you're going wrong on not changing the pattern on the 3rd and 4th rows.

Rows 1 and 2 would be K, P, K, P, K
Then rows 3 and 4 would be P, K, P, K, P

Your rib is being created I think because you're always starting with a Knit stitch..?

suzymckeen
06-03-2007, 03:04 AM
I think you're going wrong on not changing the pattern on the 3rd and 4th rows.

Rows 1 and 2 would be K, P, K, P, K
Then rows 3 and 4 would be P, K, P, K, P

Your rib is being created I think because you're always starting with a Knit stitch..?
Hello Susan. Thank you for your reply. I thought that the rows needed to be alternated but my pattern had said you k, p, k. I will try your suggestion! Thanks again! Suzy

Susan P.
06-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Hello suzy....just note that rows one and two start with a knit stitch and rows 3 and 4 start with purl. This set of four rows is then the pattern set that you repeat throughout. I love moss and often use it. Hope to you a pic of your finished item one day! :-)

Susan P.
06-03-2007, 03:16 AM
"see" a pic not you a pic lol

Phretys
06-03-2007, 04:06 AM
If there is an odd number of stitches, K, P, K, P, ending with K every row should give you the correct moss/seed stitch pattern. If you're getting a rib, maybe you did an accidental increase or decrease somewhere, making you end up with an even number of stitches on your needles? That could be one thing to check.

Debi

HamburgKnitter
06-03-2007, 06:27 AM
When I'm knitting something in moss stitch, I don't worry about what row I'm on...I just knit the purl stitches and purl the knit stitches. Maybe that will help you? If you see that you're starting to knit the knits and purl the purls then you know that you're knitting in rib stitch and not in moss stitch.

Amy has a good video on it too. :thumbsup:

Susan P.
06-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Weeeellll..except that you are knitting the knits and purling the purls on the second row.

I think just remembering the pattern of four: two the same and then reverse is the easier?

Working first row starting with knit, second with purl, third with knit, fourth purl is a variation and I have done that at times but it isn't the most usual way to do moss.

redwitch
06-03-2007, 07:32 AM
I agree, if you are really doing kpkpkpk... you will see seed stitch, if you are getting single ribbing you must have an even number of st. Try looking at the stitch on your left needle: if the p side is facing you, knit it, if the k side is facing you, purl it. This is seed stitch (moss stitch).

HamburgKnitter
06-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Weeeellll..except that you are knitting the knits and purling the purls on the second row.

I think just remembering the pattern of four: two the same and then reverse is the easier?

Working first row starting with knit, second with purl, third with knit, fourth purl is a variation and I have done that at times but it isn't the most usual way to do moss.

Actually we're both right! :wink:

There's an international defintion of moss stitch or seed stitch and there is an american definition of moss stitch - and they are different:

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/stitches/moss.htm

Now the question is which of these two moss stitches the pattern calls for. So far I've only used the international version of moss aka seed stitch before.....meaning I knit the purls and purl the knits.

Interesting discussion!

Susan P.
06-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Hamburg Knitter..I agree... The resolve is that either way there is a change in beginning stitch and that not doing so will result in rib :-)

aylaanne
06-03-2007, 11:52 AM
One of my first projects was a blanket in American Moss Stitch. On the right side, I knit the purls and purled the knits, and on the wrong side, I knit the knits and purled the purls. So, it was easier for me to figure out when I had the right side marked.

misha rf
06-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Actually we're both right! :wink:

There's an international defintion of moss stitch or seed stitch and there is an american definition of moss stitch - and they are different:

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/stitches/moss.htm

I had no idea that there were "American" and "British" versions of seed stitch! I just called them "seed stitch" or "double seed stitch." :rofling::rofling::rofling:

suzeeq
06-03-2007, 07:58 PM
It's actually two different versions of Moss stitch. In the US, seed and moss seem to be used interchangeablyl, while in the UK they're quite different.

sue

ArtLady1981
06-05-2007, 04:45 AM
Knit the purls, and purl the knits.

Susan P.
06-05-2007, 05:23 AM
'Cept ArtLady as some have already indicated, in the British/Aussie version you don't keep changing around although here I know seed stitch as changing each row so row 1 start with k, row 2 purl, row 3 k, row 4 purl. Moss stitch is known as rows 1 and 2 start k and 3 and 4 start purl. I guess it can be important to note these differences in terms of pattern books and sharing patterns etc. Certainly I need to think more when I respond to an American knitter also perhaps. I'd love to know if the original poster liked whichever version they chose! :-)