PDA

View Full Version : OT - Shape note singing

redheadrachel
06-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey everyone! I've been fully enjoying this site lately, and I read about the person who invented this site. She does shape-note singing, and I was like, You mean other people sing from Sacred Harp too? I couldn't believe it. I'm a music major at Freed-Hardeman University in Tennessee, and it's a church of Christ school (churches of Christ sing all a cappella). While our churches don't normally sing in the old shape note style (but our song books do have the seven note shaped notes) I've learned a ton about the old Fa sol la singings and we sight read from the Sacred Harp for some of our ear training practice at school. I've really come to appreciate and love this awesome American tradition in a similar way that I appreciate knitting. I was just so interested to see that a fellow knitter (THE knitter, actually) does shape note singing, too.

Any other singers out there?

Braden
06-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Amy can help you with that, I hear she's great at it! There are also some others here, but she's the one I remember off the top of my head.

Jeremy
06-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=55396&highlight=north+hampton) is a nice thread.

redheadrachel
06-04-2007, 04:28 PM
That is so cool, but it's totally bizarre that there are lots of other people into it. I have a CD from Desire for Piety, which was mentioned on that thread. It's just so awesome to find that we all have these weird little connections that make the community.

Sorry for posting another thread about it, I didn't realize there already was one. I guess I seem to be doing a lot of that. Sorry, but thanks :D

Jeremy
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Don't be sorry about posting a new thread. We're happy to have you here and we welcome the questions.

amy
06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
:waving: Hi Rachel,
Always wonderful to meet another shape note singer! Kirochka, another member of the forum, is a very well-traveled singer and can tell you where to find some incredible Sacred Harp singing, if you're looking for more places to experience it. She loves telling people about it, so PM her if you want to find out more.

We've got an all-day sing coming up on June 30th here in western Massachusetts. I'm chairing that sing, so I'm sure to be rather preoccupied, but I'm always delighted to meet a knitter/singer. It's a lovely sing of about 100 people. Even better are some of the Southern sings. I hope to travel south later this summer, it's been 18 months since I've been south, and I miss it terribly. There isn't any singing quite like Southern singing.