PDA

View Full Version : using Landscape dye

mpcmt
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Just this weekend I dyed some polypay roving in Landscape dye. I followed all the instructions to the letter but my roving did end up felting on me and now I have to card it before I can use it. Anyone out there with experience using Landscape dye and have you had the same problem or is it perhaps the polypay roving that was the problem? Any input will be greatly appreciated as I am new to dyeing.

Maud :rollseyes:

SandraEllen
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I don't have any experience with that kind of dye, but your yarn or roving will usually only felt for a couple of reasons

1. you agitated it too much while you were dyeing it.
2. you temperature shocked it (hot to cold or cold to hot)
3. a combination of the 2.

:shrug:

mpcmt
06-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Well, I covered all those bases and I really don't feel I shocked the wool. As a matter of fact I was even more careful in cooling it down than the instructions said. I am wondering if it may have been the kind of wool rather than anything else but don't know. I did not agitate it, just gave it a short whirl after it submersed into the dye pot to make sure everything was covered. Am in the process of carding it now hoping to salvage it but it is kind of upsetting. I used the same roving a month or so ago and did some space dyeing with KoolAid, wrapped the roving in Saran Wrap and steamed it for 15 minutes and let it cool to room temp and that even felted up a little bit. Wonder what would happen if I spun it first and then dyed it. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Maud