PDA

View Full Version : LION BRAND AT SPOTLIGHT WITH OTHER STUFF

redwitch
06-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Ooohhh!!!!! Ooh some of you will have heard me complain about the severely limited range of knitting wools in NZ (yes ironic). Spotlight had some novelty and less-novelty wools last year when I started knitting but got rid of most of them. I was hoping it was for summer, not a permanent deletion... well I was there today and guess what! It's all back and more (winter's coming...) ! 100% merino is what I like for socks, usually I think $NZ10 is cheap for it, Rowan 4-ply Soft is 15-18 $NZ (specially ordered, not cheap). Well Spotlight had it 100% merino for $3 a ball yes that's right! $3 a freaken ball! Not quite as nice as the Rowan but at 1/6th the price I don't mind at all! And cheap cotton too I might try a dishcloth, got a ball. And some nice mohair, I hate mohair myself but this was relatively nice! So I got some for my swop partner (you're a lucky girl!). And some SC mittens/mitts will be done with the other merino... maybe an Odessa for my friend...

Ooh and they had Lion Brand! I saw these balls wound up into log-style balls, and thought 'that's interesting, this comes in that American-shaped ball, I wonder what it is?' Closer look... the label looks like the pics I have seen of Lion Brand, and I see the word 'homespun'... click... it is Lion Brand Homespun!! (you saw that one coming didn't you?)
Also, Magic Stripes, and Thick and Quick Chenille, didn't buy any Lion stuff but how exciting that it's here! The Moda Vera (Spotlight) stuff even had wool containing some alpaca (not common in NZ). Not large amounts unfortunately.

But lots of nice stuff some very cheap!!!!!!! Oh happy Wednesday...

five_six
06-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Hmmm... I'm gonna have to get me to spotlight, see if they've restocked the Aussie shelves then... Cheers for the heads up Sarah.

marykz
06-06-2007, 09:05 AM
yay! I'm glad the yarn isn't gone forever from the shop... isn't it fun to discover something new? I'm going shopping at my LYS today to see what's new... Happy Wednesday!

EssenceRose
06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
And here I was, trying to figure out what to do yesterday when I had an hour to kill before having to pick up DH from work. I actually went to Spotlight to have a look around, but when I got there some woman cut me off and stole my car park and I had my three kids with me (one being a 5 week old baby) so I thought 'stuff it!' and I went to the Warehouse instead. Darn it! I should have gone and had a look. Hmmm.... I might to browse around today if I get the chance. I was going to go in to get a pair of 6mm circulars, but I discovered that I already have a pair. Now I need a new 'excuse' to go there. Hehe!

redwitch
06-14-2007, 01:33 AM
F**K F**K I have written 2 long posts and they both won't go onto the page! Let's see if short ones work.

redwitch
06-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Okay bit by bit then. The 4-ply turns out to be actually 8-ply, about 23 sp 10cm I think, buy I still intend to try it for socks. Much nicer and less splitty to knit with than I originally thought from looking at it. Gorgeous colours too, same with the cottons.
They have the new Cleckheaton Merino Spun which I have not seen in shops anywhere else, not many colours but the ones that do exist are lovely kind of jewelled tones, nice and soft, reasonable - when you look at the price remember it is a 100g ball. They also have the new Paton's Shadow Tweed, and the Cleckheaton Vintage Hues, $5.99 istead of the 12 per ball charged by Knitworld.

redwitch
06-14-2007, 02:14 AM
Okay I'll post the slow way... fourth time now...
The Hues smells great, like a sheep! Don't worry, a clean sheep.
My Knitworld has a knitting group once a week, I think they all do so check out the Wellington branches for a time that suits you if you are interested! I have been there 3 times now and been asked twice 'ooh what are you learning on?' 'Oh are you learning?'. Luckily both times I had some stranded colourwork mittens, lace socks, or cobweb lace on 2mm needles to drop on the table and say 'No, actually...'. I taught the ladies there some new castons and they were mightily impressed. They asked me to teach a class! (only half joking)
I think the thick Chenille would be nice for pillows or a scarf for muggles.
Does the Warehouse have any new stuff for winter? I liked a couple of their Sean Sheep lines (not the rest).

I don't remember seeing 6mm circulars at any of the northern Spotlights - if you can't find them you might consider making your own, easier than it sounds and more customiseable that way!
Must dash. Let us know how you go?
Sarah