PDA

View Full Version : Safety yarn/thread?

mr16ga
06-06-2007, 02:18 AM
I was on a short vacation to Mesa AZ to celebrate my mother-in-laws 80th birthday. Had a grand time.

While I was there I slipped in to the Fiber Factory (a Great store) and was talking about having to pull out 10 or 15 rows and having a hard time getting everything back on the needles right. Lady said that I should use a safety thread every 10 or so rows and it makes getting back on the needles easier. I did not have time to get a demo of how this is done.

Do any of you know about this safety thread thing?

Joe

five_six
06-06-2007, 03:11 AM
It's called a 'lifeline' and Amy has a video on it here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php)... just scroll down to 'fixing mistakes', or you could google 'adding a lifeline' and you'll get heaps of results. Your basically threading a piece of thin yarn through your stitches at a particular point, some do it every 10 stitches, every pattern repeat, etc, so they don't have to rip all the way back. It has saved my life many times!

HamburgKnitter
06-06-2007, 03:36 AM
I highly recommend it too! I learned the hard way what lifelines are all about. :oo:

I'm currently working on the thermal sweater from Knitty and it has a gazillion stitches per row and I don't completely understand the next step in the pattern. So I'm DEFINITELY going to put a lifeline in right before I start the shaping because no way would I be able to get almost 300 stitches back on the needles in the right order of knits and purls. Just the thought! :shock:

GinnyG
06-06-2007, 03:52 PM
I ALWAYS use a lifeline when doing a complicated pattern, it can be a real LIFESAVER:thumbsup:

Chel
06-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Just my preference, but instead of a piece of thread or string for a lifeline, I like to use heavy fishing line. It is stiff enough that I don't need to go through the hassle of threading a needle, it is clear so it doesn't disrupt my view of how the pattern is going, and it pulls back out like a dream.

mum2caden
06-06-2007, 04:43 PM
I use lifelines even in plain knitting.. but I have a two year old and at any given time my knitting can be disrupted, knocked out of my hands, etc, so it is necessary!

I usually do one every repeat, and if it is a particularly long repeat, I might use two different coloured lifelines, so one colour is always the halfway mark of a repeat and the other is the end of the full repeat.

I do really like the idea of fishing line though..

Knitting_Guy
06-06-2007, 04:48 PM
The fishing line idea is a good one, I'll have to try that.

And yeah, a lifeline is a really good idea.

Jan in CA
06-06-2007, 06:07 PM
I usually use unwaxed dental floss. Love those lifelines!:cheering:

aylaanne
06-06-2007, 08:35 PM
I used embroidery floss the last time I did lace. Because the lace pattern was so complicated, I really needed it. I also used one when I was doing sockwars because if someone else needed to work on my socks I wanted them to know where they should pick up from.

KathyinCali
06-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Life lines have kept me from having to:frog: many times! Love lifelines...

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Dental floss is a great idea but I suspect what is here is waxed..but..how would you stop the fishing line slipping out?

mr16ga
06-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Thank you all for the info on life lines
Since I am a newbee I am sure to use one on next project

Joe

mr16ga
06-10-2007, 10:05 PM
I ALWAYS use a lifeline when doing a complicated pattern, it can be a real LIFESAVER:thumbsup:

Right now all patterns are complicated!

Joe

brownishcoat
06-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Dental floss is a great idea but I suspect what is here is waxed..but..how would you stop the fishing line slipping out?

I place a "stop bead" on either end of the fishing line. In this photo, the bead is green.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/96/234457921_566b6bc07f.jpg