PDA

View Full Version : FO - Baby Surprise Jacket

LeslieRR
06-06-2007, 08:31 AM
This was the most fascinating piece of knitting engineering that I have ever seen. Elizabeth Zimmerman was an absolute genius.

I made this with stash yarn....unfortunately not mine, but I stole it from my mom's stash! If anyone's interested, I used Bernat Satin (worsted weight).

Hopefully this will fit the baby in the fall!

aprilbetty
06-06-2007, 08:42 AM
That is adorable!

nonny2t
06-06-2007, 08:52 AM
beautiful!

marykz
06-06-2007, 09:14 AM
that looks fantastic!

Jan in CA
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I love it! I've made two of them.. (they still need buttons:shifty:)

I've been wanting to try the Bernat Satin. It looks soft!

BioTherapy
06-06-2007, 02:12 PM
:hug:that is wonderful!

LeslieRR
06-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Thank you everone for the nice comments.

Jan the Bernat Satin is nice to work with and is really soft. Occasionally though, I ran into sections that had about 5 inches of nubs on them (not sure how to describe it more). It's almost as if they had wound the yarn instead of tying knots. I used the better part of 2 balls and had maybe 3 or 4 longish sections like that.

GinnyG
06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
That is adorable!!

I have the EZ BS video, haven't opened it yet much less played it but SOMEDAY:rollseyes:

tguzman
06-06-2007, 05:52 PM
wow i have that dvd .. need to start that one .. but i want to use varigated yarn .. just to see how it looks .. :) yours turned out really really nice .. :)

samm
06-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Leslie, about what size did the BSJ turn out? I've been wanting to make one in worsted wool, Galway, and don't know how large it will be. Thanks! samm

Doodknitwit
06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
is this pattern in a book?? cute love the colors too:balloons::yay:

Jan in CA
06-06-2007, 06:23 PM
is this pattern in a book?? cute love the colors too:balloons::yay:

It's in Elizabeth Zimmermann's Opinionated Knitter I believe..check the library. Or you can purchase the pattern and/or DVD at Schoolhouse Press (http://www.schoolhousepress.com/spunout.htm).

knitqueen
06-06-2007, 06:28 PM
That's so cute!! The buttons are a really nice touch.

I've used Bernat Satin as well, it was very nice to work with for an 100% acrylic yarn. I had the same nubby problem as you, but only once or twice in about 8 balls of yarn total. I've had the same type of problems in much more expensive yarn. Frustrating.

auburnchick
06-06-2007, 06:43 PM
That is so pretty! What gorgeous colors too! :inlove:

zip
06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
It's marvelous! You added cuffs and a collar. Nice work. :thumbsup:

And you used star buttons, just as I did. ;)

I'm feeling the need to make another. It's so much fun to knit. What kind of shoulder seam did you stitch? because mine really sucked. :teehee:

KnittingNat
06-07-2007, 03:37 AM
LOVELY!!!

wewantmore
06-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Oh that is cute.

Michelle

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Zimmerman's work is a true art form. Your jacket is fabulous. What a lucky baby!

LeslieRR
06-07-2007, 08:40 AM
SAMM - the size all depends upon the tension you get. In my case, I got a tension of 5 stitches to the inch, and my finished sweater with the buttons sewn on ended up at 19". (Here's hoping it fits Cameron in the fall, otherwise, I guess it goes to charity).

Zip - I had seen your BSJ in the KAL posts, and it was lovely! (one of the ones that inspired me to make mine! thank you)! Yes, I think that these buttons rock, and set off the finished sweater. I didn't specifically go looking for the stars, but the lady at the sewing store took me to the "novelty" button section and there they were - they jumped right out at me.

As for the shoulder seam, well I just did the best that I could. Tried to do an invisible seam, but it's kind of unusual with garter stitch. At the cuff, which is garter to garter, I just kind of picked up the top loops, and it didn't turn out too too badly (the stripes actually matched! ), but the next part, where it was garter to sideways-garter it wasn't as nice. I guess that it's practice. I was too lazy to do the i-cord, but next time I will maybe do that one. I was just too anxious to get the whole thing done...I have a few more projects to finish SIGH.

Loved this knit. Apart from having to check the counts every so often, it really is dead easy when you get going. LOVE garter stitch.

sara_jayne
06-07-2007, 10:28 AM
I love those colors together! Fantastic job!

Mariblue
06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
That is sooo cute! I was teased just yesterday by this pattern in Elizabeth Zimmerman's book "Knitting Workshop" which I found at the library. She shows pictures of its construction, but then goes on to say that that pattern isn't in the book! :pout: Ah well, I'll have to order it someday. :teehee:

zip
06-07-2007, 11:24 AM
...Zip - I had seen your BSJ in the KAL posts, and it was lovely! (one of the ones that inspired me to make mine! thank you)! Yes, I think that these buttons rock, and set off the finished sweater. I didn't specifically go looking for the stars, but the lady at the sewing store took me to the "novelty" button section and there they were - they jumped right out at me.

As for the shoulder seam, well I just did the best that I could. Tried to do an invisible seam, but it's kind of unusual with garter stitch. At the cuff, which is garter to garter, I just kind of picked up the top loops, and it didn't turn out too too badly (the stripes actually matched! ), but the next part, where it was garter to sideways-garter it wasn't as nice. I guess that it's practice. I was too lazy to do the i-cord, but next time I will maybe do that one. I was just too anxious to get the whole thing done...I have a few more projects to finish SIGH.

Loved this knit. Apart from having to check the counts every so often, it really is dead easy when you get going. LOVE garter stitch.

That was my experience as well. I wanted it finished RIGHT NOW! :rofl:

My SO has a new grandson due in August. I have an excuse to make the infant size and try to improve upon my previous seam.

MrsJSD
06-08-2007, 08:21 AM
I knitted the Baby Surprise Jacket and it didn't go well for me; of course it was all my fault.

I have the video. The problem was I knew I wanted the thing to be on the big side, the child is husky, about 15 months now but would probably not use the sweater until the fall. SO....I chose colors and yarn but my gauge was not right, i.e. the stitch count was too high and going up on needles did not look right. I was afraid the sweater would be too small, so I doubled the yarn and got 5sts/in. I was really enjoying the knitting until I realized I would run out of yarn. No more of that dye lot was available, and the dye lot available was WAY different. So...I tried more stripes. Once I started doing this, the increases, and in particular the final flap just didn't look good at all to me. My husband thought it was fine, but I just couldn't give it to someone when I had such a low opinion of it.

I was looking for different yarn, and I settled on North Country Cotton "Misty Moor", a variegated yarn. I figure, see how it looks striping itself. But now I think I might do a little pullover vest with it instead. Still thinking......

DotMom61
06-10-2007, 12:11 AM
This pattern keeps cropping up for me, and I'm fascinated by it. I have her Knitting Around book w/ the Bog Jacket in it ... I wonder if they're similar. :??

Yours is FABULOUS!!! Makes me want to knit one even more!