PDA

View Full Version : Knitting for Children

wildflower38
06-06-2007, 07:30 PM
My sister-in-law is very picky about the size of clothes that I buy for my niece and nephews. She wants the clothes to be 3 to 4 sizes larger than what they wear now. Last year I started knitting and I want to make them knitted sweaters and socks. Now I am willing to knit the sweaters in bigger sizes. I'll need to measure the kids to see what size they are now so I'll know how much bigger I'll need to go up. My sister-in-law is not willing to let me measure the kids. For example my niece wears a size 6 but sister-in-law wants me to buy her size 10 clothes. How do I go about talking to my sister-in-law about this subject without offending her and wasting my time effort/energy and money?

It would be easy to make socks for them. She gave me their shoe size as being several sizes larger than what they wear.... I'd like to make something for them that they could wear this year. :wall:

Jan in CA
06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Um.... that's a little strange. :?? I can see things being a little large because kids grow fast, but that many sizes? ESPECIALLY shoes?! :noway: IMO I wouldn't knit for them unless she let me measure them and even then I'd have to think long and hard about it. If you are willing to go to all that work she needs to understand that knitted clothing is not like store bought. Sizes vary by type of yarn and needle size, too. Even if you were going to make them larger you don't want them to look like they are wearing their parent's clothing so measuring is important. Good luck!

Knitting_Guy
06-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Hire her a shrink instead of knitting for her kids.

wildflower38
06-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Thank you Jan and Knitting_guy for your input.

Ingrid
06-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Buy them some really noisy toys!:rofling:

Knitting_Guy
06-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Buy them some really noisy toys!:rofling:

Oh that's just mean. :roflhard:

Susan P.
06-06-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm rather with Jan. I would not be making anything unless certain basic 'elements' were in play. Ok, she won't let you measure them but will she she do it in front of you? (Just so you can see she is measuring properly). However, given all you say I think the situation is ripe for problems. She is making unreasonable and impractical requirements - and then of another person willing to be kind towards her children. Why she wants 3 sizes up I don't know and it sounds like she is afraid of another person touching the children. Is there any reason for that from your understanding? Does she, for example, stop the grandparents from picking up or touching the kids?

I don't see why, aside from loving your nieces and nephews, why you should be buying their clothes as such. However, I think on this you need to be firm. I believe you should say..nicely but firmly..I WILL buy one size up because I would like them to be able to wear them NOW and accept that they will grow BUT I will not buy unless you either agree or give me a sound practical reason why more than one size up on sweaters etc is reasonable.

Perhaps remind her that baggy clothes on kids..like..really baggy clothes..can draw negative comments and 'homie' (homey??) style comments also..that these kids do not deserve.

If you have made things in the past and never seen the kids wear them, then, I think you are wasting both your time and your money. The woman does sound like she has some sort of personal issue - almost like the much bigger clothes are a function of fear that in a year the kids may not have clothes or similar. One way around this would be to choose (yourself) an item like a jumper/sweater and say..I am making one now a size bigger..and when this is too small I will make another. Again, define how YOU will manage it and make a small concession but be firm and if she refuses buy some educational books and forget the clothes.

Susan P.
06-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I also hate to say this ..but..is the request for so much bigger clothes simply because she doesn't want the kids wearing hand made garments (and hence she is putting the potential of them having to wear them off)?? Some people can be SO odd like that and she sounds like that. I'd be showing her..if her spirit is willing..some of the superbly made garments people show on this forum and let her know hand made is tres chic!

debinoz
06-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Are you sure we don't have the same in-laws??!!:rofling:

I gave up on knitting and I DO buy them noisey toys instead... I know, I know, I'm soooo mean!:rofling:

wildflower38
06-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Thank you for everyone's input. Based on what ya'll(I'm from Texas lol)have said I'm just going to buy them books. I feel bad that I'm not going to show my love for them by knitting them sweaters, etc. but I didn't want to offend her.

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 01:11 AM
wildflower38...A GOOD choice I think..but..but. how about knitting a page marker or bookmark. :-) That is simple and means you can share a little of the original plan. And you can laugh to yourself and think..yeah..10 times bigger and it could bookmark a library! :roflhard:

Should the woman concerned behave re the books and all then in the future you could make a library bag or two. :-)

Mystery_Gyrl
06-07-2007, 07:32 AM
I think Susan P. is on the right track, you can still show your knitting love for your niece and nephew by knitting them say a fulled/felted knapsack or depending on their age a stuffed animal/toy. Or maybe a hat.
Katrina

wewantmore
06-07-2007, 08:15 AM
:?? That is one strange bird. I agree one size bigger is acceptable as the kids might just have too many clothes in the size they are, but not 3 sizes bigger. :??

I like the bag/purse idea. My daughter (7) is very much into purses. Maybe even a blanket or something.

Good luck, sounds like she's living in her own little twisted world.

Michelle

marykz
06-07-2007, 08:42 AM
I don't have any better advice than what you have already gotten- it is an odd situation. You said you were worried about offending her... sounds to me like she is the type that would be offended no matter what. Some people just LOOK for trouble and drama. (speaking from experience) No matter what you do she will have a negative response, so do what your heart tells you and try not to take whatever she says to heart.