PDA

View Full Version : Strange Request

mwedzi
06-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Please don't kick me off the boards for being a weirdo. I'd kinda like to get an idea of people's bust sizes' and their under-bust size. I mean, I have some sizing charts that give general size comparisons between bust and waist, but that's not what I want. I'm interested in the difference between the measurement at the widest point of the bust and the measurement immediately under the bust.

Can you guys help me out? You can PM me if you don't want to put it here. Thanks.

marykz
06-07-2007, 08:46 AM
LOL- very interesting! I know from days past when I did some costuming, most people have at least a 2 inch differential. I am smaller than most: I'm a 35/34. the girls may be small but they worked when they had to!!

When designing patterns and altering clothing, it is generally the cup size that tells you how many inches to add to the under bust measurement. and how large the darting/shaping should be to make it drape properly. I used to have a chart somewhere... if I find it I'll pm it to you.

mwedzi
06-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Thank you. I had heard about the bra cup size thing, but the numbers someone gave me were clearly wrong for me. I'm just an A (almost B if I can get those 1/2 size bras), but the difference between the widest point and the under-bust measurement is 5", from 34" to less than 29".

So you don't think I'm just creepy or something, I'm trying to design a sweater that more closely approximates people's curves, instead of the decreasing gradually like 4 sts every inch or something.

marykz
06-07-2007, 09:02 AM
no- I didn't think you were creepy!!! to me it seemed clear you were working on designs..... I used to round up my friends and take measurements when in the costume dept.

I think the cup size/ underbust may end up being more of what you want, since the design needs to take the volume of the bust into account. however, trying to make a generalized fitted pattern for a wide range of sizes might be really difficult. (I know you know that...) My rather flat shape needs very little shaping, while someone with bigger girls, but the same size underbust would need a lot.

It is an interesting issue- which is why I think a lot of knitting patterns only come in a few, generalized sizes, without a lot of nice shaping. (or they use a lot of ribbing!)

If you figure out some useable numbers or a formula, I bet a nicely written tutorial on how to adjust sweater/top patterns to your particular shape would be a great submission to a magazine.

I'll dig around for my old papers...

HamaLee
06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
I've got big dinners...and finding shirts to fit is impossible! By the time it fits over the boobings, it's huge everywhere else.

Here are my rough measurements:

"band size" or circumference just under the bust: 35"ish (34" when I'm not going through a tubby phase)

And measuring across the largest point: 42-43"

My band/cup differential in inches is pretty big. I wear (and very much fill out) a DD cup size, but that's mostly cuz they don't sell anything bigger in regular stores.

o/t Ugh...can't wait to get a reduction! o/t

Good luck with the designing and do share!

stitchwitch
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Here's my measurements, hope they help.
32 1/2 under bust, 38 1/2 across bust.
I just went through the "find my real bra size" thing a couple of months ago. I still don't think I'm wearing the right size.

Ellen Edwards
06-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Ummm--don't mean to gross you out--but mine have gone so far south--I can't FIND my underneath anymore!:oo::oo:

stitchwitch
06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Ummm--don't mean to gross you out--but mine have gone so far south--I can't FIND my underneath anymore!:oo::oo:

Mine look like tube socks filled with sand! :rofling:
Just put on your best fitting bra and do the measurements that way. That's what I did.

mwedzi
06-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Mine look like tube socks filled with sand! :rofling:
Just put on your best fitting bra and do the measurements that way. That's what I did.

You guys are crazy. :rofl:

Thanks for your help.

aylaanne
06-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I've got big dinners...and finding shirts to fit is impossible! By the time it fits over the boobings, it's huge everywhere else.

Here are my rough measurements:

"band size" or circumference just under the bust: 35"ish (34" when I'm not going through a tubby phase)

And measuring across the largest point: 42-43"

My band/cup differential in inches is pretty big. I wear (and very much fill out) a DD cup size, but that's mostly cuz they don't sell anything bigger in regular stores.

o/t Ugh...can't wait to get a reduction! o/t

Good luck with the designing and do share!

Here's my measurements, hope they help.
32 1/2 under bust, 38 1/2 across bust.
I just went through the "find my real bra size" thing a couple of months ago. I still don't think I'm wearing the right size.

I just got refitted, and I went from a 32FF to a 36G. So, my underbust measurement is 34", and my bust measurement is something like 42".

Hama, I suggest strongly that you get to a specialty boutique and shell out some money for a well-fitting bra. I went to Bare Necessities, which has boutiques in the tri-state area in New England, but if you ask around at department stores, they might be able to point you in a direction. I used to wear a DD and my cups ran over. I knew I needed to get refitted when I started getting a quadra-boob again.

I'm definitely a candidate for a reduction, but I decided to wait until after I was finished breastfeeding because surgery can interfere with that. I'm soooo sick of having sore shoulders though.

Wearing the right size bra makes me look a dress size smaller. My bras are expensive, but so worth it.

VickyS456
06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
my underboob is 30.5" and my boobage is 39"

Hope that helps

Ellieblue
06-07-2007, 11:32 AM
There is a sweater pattern at Magknits called Donna which uses short rows to do the shapeing ;that should give you an idea on how to add bust size.

iza
06-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I heard that most women don't wear the right bra size for them. I think I might be one of them. :oops: Somehow I find it difficult to get a bra that fits well.

I saw before that the trick is to add 5 to the size under, and substract the measurement at the widest part. If the difference is 1 or less you wear a cup A, 2 a cup B, etc.

My size under is 27, and 31 on the widest part. Does that make sense??? :?? According to this I should be wearing a 32A. I wear 32B a lot though, it's easier to find in stores... :shrug:

Chrissie
06-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I have an underbust measurement of 37 and a fullest size measurement of 44.

mwedzi
06-07-2007, 01:00 PM
There is a sweater pattern at Magknits called Donna which uses short rows to do the shapeing ;that should give you an idea on how to add bust size.

Oh yes, I remember that sweater. There is another sweater with short row shaping in my, was if Winter?, issue of VK that I was thinking of, too, and I think it does the short row shaping even for us smaller sizes. There's also the super popular t-shirt over at White Lies. I'm thinking I kinda prefer darts for this particular design, but short rows are definitely an option.

With the way things are going, I think I'll write it with 5" difference for all sizes, and a note on how to lessen or increase the difference.

mwedzi
06-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I saw before that the trick is to add 5 to the size under, and substract the measurement at the widest part. If the difference is 1 or less you wear a cup A, 2 a cup B, etc.

It looks like for most women answering here, this would result in a negative number. Do you mean subtract your underbust+5 from the widest measurement?

HamaLee
06-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I just got refitted, and I went from a 32FF to a 36G. So, my underbust measurement is 34", and my bust measurement is something like 42".

Hama, I suggest strongly that you get to a specialty boutique and shell out some money for a well-fitting bra. I went to Bare Necessities, which has boutiques in the tri-state area in New England, but if you ask around at department stores, they might be able to point you in a direction. I used to wear a DD and my cups ran over. I knew I needed to get refitted when I started getting a quadra-boob again.

I'm definitely a candidate for a reduction, but I decided to wait until after I was finished breastfeeding because surgery can interfere with that. I'm soooo sick of having sore shoulders though.

Wearing the right size bra makes me look a dress size smaller. My bras are expensive, but so worth it.

I totally agree with you! I haven't had a "real" bra fitting since college (which is when I very suddenly went from a B to a DD. But I have to wear a giant sportsbra for work everyday so eh....I'm too lazy. :teehee: Pretty soon though...it's getting to be time.

iza
06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
It looks like for most women answering here, this would result in a negative number. Do you mean subtract your underbust+5 from the widest measurement?

err, yes, that's what I mean. :doh:

For me though the result IS negative. Oh dear. :oops:

Momma_Jo
06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
35" and 42". I wear a 36 DD-DDD, depending on the style.

redwitch
06-07-2007, 11:05 PM
It's really really worth getting a well-fitting bra Hama! A department store should have assistants that will measure you and help you find a bra in the right size and tell you what size you need free. Many women do wear the wrong size. I find that clothes that fit on the bust are too loose at waist and hips etc. as well, it's also really worth learning to sew to make the waist smaller. If you have a sewing machine this is pretty easy to do, especially comparing to a shirt you have that fits well at waist. Or get a sewing friend to help you, or have a tailor take things in below the bust, nott too expensive but really worth it! That plus the right size bra will make a big difference in how good clothes look on you!

With my bra on I am 39.25 bust and 33 inches just under the bra. 12-14DD.

Sarah

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
:??

SandraEllen
06-07-2007, 11:13 PM
36/42

DianaM
06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
:??

*hands Mason a beer*
Having fun? :teehee:

I'm too lazy to measure right now hehehehehe.

I'm a D and I can vouch for spending money on a good bra. I wore the wrong size bra, for many many years and the back/shoulder pain was baaaaaaaaaad. About two years ago, I got a decent one and am really happy with it.

I'll definitely have to learn short rows in order to make nice fitting sweaters.

redwitch
06-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Get out Mason you dirty pervert!:teehee:

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 11:28 PM
I think Mason is looking into the mirror, tape measure in hand, trying to figure out EXACTLY WHERE his underboobage is.

There ARE manboobs you know so let's not be gender exclusive *grin*

five_six
06-07-2007, 11:37 PM
I think Mason is looking into the mirror, tape measure in hand, trying to figure out EXACTLY WHERE his underboobage is.

There ARE manboobs you know so let's not be gender exclusive *grin*

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 11:39 PM
winks at five_six..I was tempted to put in two sets of measurements for the difference in left to right... :-) but thought that may have been confusing..:shifty:

five_six
06-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Oh, I'm hearing ya, I'm hearing all too loud and clear :teehee:

I would measure mine but it means that I'd have to put a bra on, and I haven't done that in a couple of days - not sure where to begin if I don't have it on, lol

Need smaller small font!! Where has the itsy bitsy one gone sheldon!!!

Knitting_Guy
06-08-2007, 07:47 AM
For the record I do NOT have man boobs. :ick:

Old Knitter
06-08-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm happy you're taking the time to investigat measurements to design a better fit.

I'm afraid my belly is reaching out almost as far as my chest and fitted sweaters are not very flattering as they accentuate to wrong curves.

I only have 2" in difference.

:shrug:

LibraryLady
06-08-2007, 01:08 PM
For the record I do NOT have man boobs. :ick:

:happydancing:

WOW!!!! What a wonderful news flash!!!

:happydancing:

That is something I've been wondering about for days!!!!

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Couldn't resist... :lol:

edited to add: my boobage is 38" and my underboobage is 32".

LL

misha rf
06-08-2007, 01:57 PM
If I've done this correctly, my underboobage is 32. Boobage is 39.

Mason, you crack me up!!! :roflhard:

DQ
06-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Yes, a decent bra is a must when you have big boobs, even if it is expensive >_< For anyone in the UK I recommend Bravissimo -- http://www.bravissimo.com/default.aspx -- My mum took me there (and paid woohoo!) and I found I am a H! :passedout: I'm all ready for bed right now so can't be bothered measuring properly sorry :oops: My 'under boobage' :teehee: is 34" though.

HamaLee
06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Yes, a decent bra is a must when you have big boobs, even if it is expensive >_< For anyone in the UK I recommend Bravissimo -- http://www.bravissimo.com/default.aspx -- My mum took me there (and paid woohoo!) and I found I am a H! :passedout: I'm all ready for bed right now so can't be bothered measuring properly sorry :oops: My 'under boobage' :teehee: is 34" though.

Bravissimo is awesome! I recommend it even if you're in the US. The shipping and stuff cost me extra, but it was so worth it. Some of my best bras.
ALso good: www.figleaves.com (http://www.figleaves.com) and www.lingeriestudio.com (http://www.lingeriestudio.com)

Oh, and for good measure: BOOBS! :rofl: