PDA

View Full Version : KH Fundraiser! for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

amy
06-07-2007, 09:23 AM
KH Fundraiser! The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society / Chicago Triathlon

A good friend of ours, and a former KnittingHelp employee!, is participating in the 2007 Accenture Chicago Triathlon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Rebecca has to raise a minimum of $4,600 by June 26th to participate in the triathlon that she is currently training for!

Sheldon and I are supporting her, and I'd love to make this our first official KH Fundraiser. I know that we knitters are a generous bunch of people, and I'd love to see what we can do when we combine our efforts for a cause like this. :heart: Any amount is appreciated, no donation is too small. You can read more about Rebecca's triathlon training, and donate online (or by mail), by visiting: http://www.active.com/donate/tntma/rhemenway

Rebecca worked for us in early 2005...we hired her just a month or two after launching KH! She did some wonderful design work for Sheldon, and some important work on the KH site. Here's a picture of Sheldon, myself, and Rebecca, in May 2005 right before she left us for an internship in Germany! She's an incredible, motivated person and athlete. Help us support her impressive fundraising effort for a good cause!:cheering:

Sincerely,
Amy & Sheldon Finlay
Knittinghelp.com Headquarters

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Cool

Kaydee
06-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Team in Training does great things. I had a friend who ran the Boston Marathon with them...they raised a lot of money. I'll try to donate when pay day comes around.

beckyrhae
06-07-2007, 01:41 PM
I get paid Friday... I will check back then and help out how I can!

sheldon
06-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Just a bump to make sure this post doesn't get too hidden. :)

rhem1224
06-07-2007, 09:02 PM
:waving: Hello KH!!! :waving:

Here I am ready to answer all your questions about my fundraising for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as I train for my first ever triathlon through their Team in Training Program.
.....And of course give you all the nitty-gritty dl on my experience of working at the KH headquarters with the infamous Amy and Sheldon!

Before my humor and sarcasm resurfaces, let me first off give a huge huge :muah: shout out to both Amy and Sheldon for their support in my endeavour and an equally big one :muah: out to the KH community. They're absolutely amazing people and I'm sure the community follows.

This organization and event is something very important to me and I cannot tell you how incredible of an experience it has been thus far.

I thank you all in advance for your support and look forward to hearing from you.

Smiles high and my best wishes! :sun:

jeanius80
06-07-2007, 09:24 PM
:cheering:i donated! thanks for sharing with us! good luck:happydance:

Braden
06-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Cool, wish I could donate, though. Good luck!

snephenie
06-10-2007, 01:39 AM
What a wonderful cause. I will surely be donating on friday!

nadja la claire
06-10-2007, 03:09 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

What a wonderful thing to do. Thank you. I'll be able to give next week.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

rhem1224
06-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi KH!!

Thanks for the support thus far! It's always motivating to know I have people backing me. :woohoo:

I took my first open water swim at Walden Pond in Concord, MA over the weekend and it's much different than swimming in a pool! I was swimming all over the place!.... straight lines are hard when you don't have something to follow at the bottom.... (Not so efficient, but I'm learning).

My fundraising is still proving to be the most difficult but I'm constantly working on it after I get out of work, school and a training session. I have a little over $2000.00 now!! :D And I've gotten a total of $306.00 from the KH community! :cheering: Thanks!!

Hope to hear from more of you!

My best,

~ Rebecca :sun:

marykz
06-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Rebecca- thank you for the lovely note- even for my small donation! I really hope you reach your goal and I can't wait to see a few pics of the action!

misha rf
06-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Rebecca, thank you for the thank you! (When it arrived, I was trying to figure out who I knew in Boston. I could only come up with a cousin, who *still* owes me a thank you for her wedding gift 2 1/2 yrs ago.)
You've got a lot of folks here wishing you well! :cheering:

jeanius80
06-14-2007, 09:10 PM
yay rebecca!! i got your thank you (thank you!) and i was very confused! i don't know anyone from boston, so i was very pleasently surprised by your lovely note.
i used to competitively swim, and a few times our team did ocean swims in the summer as a break from our routine. it's hard to stay straight! lol good luck in everything :cheering:

larudden
06-15-2007, 01:45 PM
OMG, I would keel over trying something like this!:passedout:

Good luck on the training and on the event! I'm happy to donate to your effort!:muah:

Blessings,

Dangles
06-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Rebecca, thank you for your determination and dedication for the support of such a worthy cause. All the best to you in your training.

rhem1224
08-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi KH!!!

I know it's been some time but I wanted to give you the official update.

Last weekend I successfully complete the Chicago Olympic Triathlon as a member of the Team in Training for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society!!! :woohoo:

I had a great time and despite having come down with the flu two days prior to the race, I felt strong and full of endorphin highs throughout the race. It took me a little under 3 hours to complete and I was happy with my time considering I'm new to swimming, had an injury that prevented me from training for the run, and I had the flu.

We met up with all the other chapters of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society for a post race victory party. Together we rose over $550,005.00 for Leukemia, Lymphoma & Cancer research. I have still not met my minimum of $4600.00 but I have until the end of September, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can pull through for the team.

The whole experience was absolutely amazing and I recommend it to anyone trying to get into the sport, or who just wants to help out an amazing cause. The inspiration and guidance you receive at training and the friendships / camaraderie you experience is unforgettable.

Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement! Keep on knitting!!

My best! :muah:

~ Rebecca

jeanius80
08-31-2007, 05:53 PM
thanks for the update! sounds like you really enjoyed yourself too! good luck reaching your goal :cheering: