PDA

View Full Version : Finally Knitting A Bit

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I haven't touched my knitting since this whole depression thing started but today I bought a skein of yarn in a color to match my mother's new sofa and started on a knitted clock for her.

I really need to finish those socks I started but just haven't felt like it. The clock is something pretty simple as well as something different.

I still have to find the cork backing and actual clock mechanism itself, but for now I can work on the knitted part.

mornnen
06-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Good for you! She'll like that.

snowbear
06-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Great! Ask any knitter.. we all have ufo's of somesort somewhere.. hehehe the one I had left I gave away.. kinda cheating, but hey she loves it.

That is awesome knitting her a clock. What a great idea. I know she'll love it!.

Glad you're doing better.. it takes time.. I'm glad you're taking it slow steps... The imbalance will work itself out w/ the meds.

Big bear hugs... :hug:

auburnchick
06-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Mason,

You might try Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I think I saw clock kits at HL.

Susan P.
06-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Mason is doing a clock..a "timely" gesture

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Jan in CA
06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
A knitted clock? Huh. That sounds neat!

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Good for you! She'll like that.

Thanks, I think she'll like it.

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Great! Ask any knitter.. we all have ufo's of somesort somewhere.. hehehe the one I had left I gave away.. kinda cheating, but hey she loves it.

That is awesome knitting her a clock. What a great idea. I know she'll love it!.

Glad you're doing better.. it takes time.. I'm glad you're taking it slow steps... The imbalance will work itself out w/ the meds.

Big bear hugs... :hug:

Thanks. I think the meds are slowly starting to do their thing.

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Mason,

You might try Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I think I saw clock kits at HL.

Yeah i'm going to check at HL when I get back up to WI if I can't locate one around here in the next couple of days.

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Mason is doing a clock..a "timely" gesture

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

:rofling:

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 08:09 PM
A knitted clock? Huh. That sounds neat!

Yeah I think so too. I got the idea from a thread posted here.

willowangel
06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey there - great that you started knitting again - I know how hard it is to get the motivation in that state. Picking it up and starting is usually the hardest part, and having something to aim at works well. But remember not to beat yourself up about not getting things finished or not doing enough - it's supposed to be a fun thing and in depression anything can turn into something else to feel crap about. So enjoy it when you feel like you can, and look forward to it when you don't - and hope you're feeling better soon *hugs*
Fi xx

Carla1019
06-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Mason, Please post pictures of the clock when you are done. I :heart:the clock when it was posted the other day. I was thinking of doing one for my Dad who :heart: clocks.

Glad to hear you are back at it.:thumbsup: I have/had Depression. I was on the same Drug you are on now, but it did not work for me. Over the last 5 years I was on about 4 different drugs. The last one,Cymbalta.. Just about did me in. I got hooked on it.. bad.. It took me 2 months to wing my self off of it. Now I not on any thing. :woohoo:Giving my body a rest. But I do know that it help me be more ME.. Right now I am going to the gym, which helps alot and knitting,xxx that help me also. Plus I oil paint and do pottery. All those thing are my new drug.:yay:

Best wishes to you Mason.

LibraryLady
06-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks. I think the meds are slowly starting to do their thing.

PLUS!!!!!

Knitting keeps the ol' hands busy and away from the smokes!

Yippee!!!

:woot::woot::woot::woot:

Give it time, it'll happen just the way it's supposed to...

LL

willowangel
06-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Forgot to say - I just got new meds so we can get better together ;-) Been on the same ones for about 7 years that saved my life - but there's been a piece of the puzzle missing and hopefully this one is it - I can be me again :-) (still mad, but in a cute, quirky way ;-))

Fi xx

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Forgot to say - I just got new meds so we can get better together ;-) Been on the same ones for about 7 years that saved my life - but there's been a piece of the puzzle missing and hopefully this one is it - I can be me again :-) (still mad, but in a cute, quirky way ;-))

Fi xx

It can be hard to find the right drug or combination of drugs to deal with your specific imbalance in just the right way. I'm hoping this Wellbutrin will be right for me but only time will tell.

five_six
06-07-2007, 09:15 PM
Mason, it's good to hear that you are having a positive result, and this thread is opening my eyes a little too, so thank you for that. I've been suffering from depression for a few years now, but refuse to be medicated. I always figured there must be a deeper problem that I could sort out to fix myself (but I don't see counsellors either - way too expensive, so I've just sorta learnt to live with it, which isn't all that fun), so you are educating me a little with this conversation. And I feel better that I'm not the only one who swings way up and way down (way down most of the time) - I have this tendancy to want to burst into tears for no reason most of the time, well no good reason I can see anyways.

Hugs to you!

dustinac
06-07-2007, 09:24 PM
:woot:So glad to read that your knitting again.. enjoy seeing your posts.. I seen the knitted clock post and have been thinking on that.. I gotta get some things off the needles first though.. and then off the to do list...:teehee:

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Mason, it's good to hear that you are having a positive result, and this thread is opening my eyes a little too, so thank you for that. I've been suffering from depression for a few years now, but refuse to be medicated. I always figured there must be a deeper problem that I could sort out to fix myself (but I don't see counsellors either - way too expensive, so I've just sorta learnt to live with it, which isn't all that fun), so you are educating me a little with this conversation. And I feel better that I'm not the only one who swings way up and way down (way down most of the time) - I have this tendancy to want to burst into tears for no reason most of the time, well no good reason I can see anyways.

Hugs to you!

It's a real medical problem with real physical causes. You really should be examined and tested to rule out thyroid or other possible problems as there are many reasons for depression. It's a treatable illness and getting treatment can greatly improve your quality of life.

five_six
06-07-2007, 09:48 PM
My doctor wants to medicate me - but it was never in my vision for myself to be on meds, and I'm worried that I'll have to be on them for the rest of my life, but your right, it's probably better than desperately trying to find the energy to be 'into' life most days. Hearing from others the positive results they've had is really making me think that I should give it a go, and to hell with the stigma that (only I) will place over my head.

BinkyKat
06-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I really feel fivesix mirrors my issues. I appreciate, again, KG you sharing.
Good deal knitting the clock for your mommie dearest *that's what I :heart:ingly call mine...I knit her thongs for Mother's Day this year:shock:*
Your project is a real "stitch in time":teehee:

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
A lot of people hesitate on the medication thing. I did for years but finally got to the point that I had to go on them to save my life (literally). I'm very glad that I did as they really helped a great deal. That's why I didn't hesitate to go to the doctor when I recognized the symptoms.

Would you hesitate to take medication for diabetes or high blood pressure? It's no different.

BinkyKat
06-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Very good analogy:thumbsup:
Interestingly enough, I felt the two meds I took, one for about a year, the other about 6 months...really made me feel no different so I just felt it wasn't worth it. But being so emotional when I get stressed out isn't good either.

But yay for having a hobby you can carry with you to fall into if you just want some time to zone:cheering:

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Very good analogy:thumbsup:
Interestingly enough, I felt the two meds I took, one for about a year, the other about 6 months...really made me feel no different so I just felt it wasn't worth it. But being so emotional when I get stressed out isn't good either.

But yay for having a hobby you can carry with you to fall into if you just want some time to zone:cheering:

Sounds to me like you were on the wrong meds.

That's why I chose knitting. It's highly portable as well as relaxing.

five_six
06-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Hmmm... even knitting doesn't work for me all the time, there are some times when I just sit in a puddle in my living room and couldn't even be bothered to touch it, like all the other things I love in my life as well. I think I will definately be making a Dr's appt to further discuss this, cause I'm sick of that feeling, and sick of feeling like I'm pretending when I'm being 'happy'.

Knitting_Guy
06-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Hmmm... even knitting doesn't work for me all the time, there are some times when I just sit in a puddle in my living room and couldn't even be bothered to touch it, like all the other things I love in my life as well. I think I will definately be making a Dr's appt to further discuss this, cause I'm sick of that feeling, and sick of feeling like I'm pretending when I'm being 'happy'.

Yep, know the feeling. I hadn't touched my knitting in a couple of weeks.

redwitch
06-07-2007, 10:52 PM
My doctor wants to medicate me - but it was never in my vision for myself to be on meds, and I'm worried that I'll have to be on them for the rest of my life, but your right, it's probably better than desperately trying to find the energy to be 'into' life most days. Hearing from others the positive results they've had is really making me think that I should give it a go, and to hell with the stigma that (only I) will place over my head.

I know no-one wants to think of themselves as someone who is 'on medication' but this is not psychological. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain, it's a real disease, and if there is medication that can help it's worth considering. Would you turn down medication for any other disease because 'you don't want to be on meds all your life'? Mason's right it is the same, however it is sometimes more difficult to find the right meds for you.

Remember that it gets better even though it often seems like it never will. It will!!

:hug:

willowangel
06-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Just a note to say it's nice to see the balanced views on here - I've had to defend my taking medication so many times in the past to people who think I'm just a bit down and could be fine if I talked to my best friend about stuff - that I was stupid to be taking medication cause I might have a stroke someday because of it. Trying to explain that that I'd be dead a lot sooner without it never seems to work.

My mother was terrified when I first went on them because she grew up in the era when a-ds just numbed you completely, turned you into a zombie. Thankfully those days are long gone, and, for me, they turned me into not a zombie. I went from sitting in a room, staring at the walls, unable to think about anything but self-destruction, to having ideas and thoughts and plans and being functional. They saved me from my zombie life. :zombie:

So thanks for understanding the necessity for it sometimes - either as a way to give your brain some space to breathe to work out what's going on, or as a long-term solution to a chemical illness. Either way, if it's something that's happened that's caused the depression, then anti-depressants can get you out of the cycle long enough to sort yourself out, then you can come off them.

For some people, like me, we'll be on them permanently but that's ok too - all my docs have likened it to insulin for diabetes when I've questioned coming off them. They say that they understand we like to think that brain diseases like depression should somehow be controllable by just us, but it's not true. They're as physical as any other disease, just sadly, it manifests psychologically and makes us doubt ourselves.

Anyway, good luck to everyone with depression, whether they choose to take medication or not.
Love Fi xx

Knitting_Guy
06-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Nice of you to chime in Fi. I know exactly where you're coming from. Odds are good I'll be on them the rest of my life too. I've accepted that.