PDA

View Full Version : I could just scream!!!!!!!!!!!

Hygiene Mama
06-08-2007, 05:28 PM
I hav ebeen trying so hard to finish this purse for my sister. www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=187024 (http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=187024)
She is coming up from St. Paul tomorrow and I wanted to surprise her with it.

Well, I felted it this afternoon and the white yarn did not felt. Well, part of it did because I bought some other stuff since I ran out! It looks horrible. I don't know what to do, other than cry cuz I stayed up til 1 am. Oh well, I just had to vent, I'll no better next time!:waah:

nadja la claire
06-08-2007, 05:56 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. Maybe it just looks awful to you. Perhaps it's not that bad. Also people are always appreciative of handmade gifts, no matter what we who make the gifts feel about them, because they come from the heart. You never know she might really like it. Maybe you can show us and we can give you some feedback or maybe someone will have some advice.

:grphug: :grphug: :grphug: :grphug:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Knitting_Guy
06-08-2007, 06:09 PM
What a bummer. :grphug:

knitwit628
06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Do you have pictures? I'm sure it looks fine!

:hug::hug::grphug::grphug::hug::hug:

jjminarcik
06-08-2007, 06:36 PM
I know most people I have given things to love it no matter what. I can always find small errors, but I think they just appreciate the fact that it was made for them. I'm sure she will love it anyway!

Sanibelle
06-08-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm sure that it looks a lot better than you think. I am sure that you sister will love that you made her something.

BTW - white yarn does not felt. I don't know why, but when I got into felting on read about it on another knitting board...

redheadrachel
06-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I think it's a beautiful pattern, and anything resembling it would be probably the nicest knitted thing I've ever seen. I'm sure she'll appreciate it :D

puppyluv
06-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Many white wools do not felt, it has to do with the bleaching process. The way I understood it when explained to me, is that the bleaching process removes many of the teeny little fibers in the wool, and those teeny fibers are what get all tangled up together and produce the felted material. So the bleached fibers are too smooth to felt properly. :shrug:

Many cream colored or off white wools felt just fine, but I always do a test swatch.

If your bag is completely unfelted in the white area, you could use a needle and weave in another white wool (or cream) that WILL felt. Call it a designer detail. Then, felt it again! It might not be the best idea for this particular pattern, but it's a good trick to know, anyway.
I used this technique once on a striped bag, the white I was using felted poorly just like yours. So I weaved in a double strand of yellow, and it felted up nice, and due to the added yarn, it had a cool texture to it, like an applied icord "bump".

(just an idea if you get desperate!)

Hygiene Mama
06-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Thank you so much ladies for the kind words and suggestions. :muah:

My digi camera is out of commission right now, but I'll try and have my sister take a picture of it tomorrow. The yarn I used was leftover yarn from my new nephew's baby blanket it's called Dale of Norway Daletta (100% Machine Washable (ooooh now I know why it didn't felt!:shrug: wool) I ran out of that, went to the local yarn store last night and got Cascade Yarn and that felted beautifully. I called my sister and told her that I'll bring her to the yarn shop tomorrow night and have her pick out another color and I'll knit her another one. Oh well, I guess I learned my lesson!:ick:

nadja la claire
06-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Think of it this way, you learned a lesson and you have another knitting bag. And best of all, you get to go to the LYS tomorrow :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

redwitch
06-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Just for future - as someone said white or very light wools that are pale because of bleaching don't felt, but wools that are naturally light and have not been bleached felt better - research some wools online next time to see if they felt and always felt a swatch first! Some white wools felt well.
Some embroidery on the non-felted part might also make it look like an interesting design feature? And lok at the bag this way - it's an excuse to do MORE KNITTING!