PDA

View Full Version : Today is Knit in Public Day

mwedzi
06-09-2007, 08:38 AM
I know lots of us knit in public all the time, but today's the official day for it. There are gatherings world-wide (sorry I'm posting kinda late for people east of me. :( ) Look at this site:

http://www.wwkipday.com/

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Cool

newamy
06-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Last year my LYS held an event at the park. But I think it fell on a different day. I want to say in May. This is a big graduation weekend here, so I don't think anything is happening. My daughter has a ballet dress rehersal today where I will have to hang out for 3 hours, I plan to knit there, so it will be in public.

Nobones
06-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I sat in the park for an hour and knitted. The ducks didn't seem that interested!

KnittingNat
06-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Me and my sister went to Tel-Aviv yesterday (50 minute drive in a bus) to M.A.C. store to buy her goodies for birthday, so while she was picking, i started knitting! And the make-up artist that works there was like "You're cool!!! I want to learn to knit too...My grandma is teaching me"... So I KIPed yesterday and even considered cool :cheering::cheering::cheering:! And of course i couldn't resist and got some goodies for me...:shock:

rebecca
06-09-2007, 01:10 PM
I registered on the WWKIP site as a Lone KIPer (http://wwkipday.com/?page_id=241) and had planned to knit all over town. BUT I have (yes, in addition to the hip/leg deal) sprained both ankles badly (while on crutches...the queen of clumsy!) so I will be kip @ Shannon's dance recital instead of all over town, but knitting in public is knitting in public, right?! I, like most of you, do it all the time, too, but today is the day to represent the KNITTING WORLD:cheering: It will be fun at a recital, painful, but fun! (I meant painful for me, hope not for the dancers!!!) I LOVE, LOVE recitals, but can only go to the last 1/2 that Shannon is dancing in, since she now dances for exercise and fun as an adult she not longer does the ballet, rather tap and jazz, still, it will be fun:blooby:

knitwit628
06-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I wanted to go to my LYS but my parents are working on different things on our house today. They probably wouldn't want to take me across town anyways so I could just sit and knit. This morning I asked if they would take me and they said "Sit in the front yard and knit, isn't that out in public?" and made me mad of course, but oh well. I'll just have to deal I guess. :pout: :)

DoulaLyndsey
06-09-2007, 02:52 PM
I just got back from our group's KIP meetup! I love my knitting group, they always have everything planned for these events!

Eloewien
06-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I wish that I could go to my LYS's KIP day, but I got stuck working today. I'll be KIPing at work though!! I'm trying to find a new pattern to work on today...

marykz
06-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I knit out at my daughter's T-Ball game... in the shade... made a little progress on my neglected chevron towel project. then I started chatting and lost my place!
:doh:
how about a Frogging-in-public day....
:frog:

french kiwi
06-09-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm so happy to see it's true!
I live in Paris (in France), and we did that today too!
a first for me
We had a lovely day, lots of knitters poked their noses out to come join other knitters.
I must say though, i did way more talking than knitting...i even picked this day to open my knitting blog! but it's so bare right now, i'll wait a bit before sending the link to KH :)
happy knitting, although with the time difference, you're probably all sound asleep right now

french kiwi
06-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Mmm, sorry, i forgot we were ahead...
it shall then be me who's sound asleep in a few minutes

mwedzi
06-09-2007, 07:50 PM
I just came back from the Chicago event downtown in Millenium Park. I saw Yarn Doc there, amongst many other knitters. I'm not sure how many turned out, maybe 50 or so? Enough that we were an attraction to people walking by who were all like "what's going on here?"

BinkyKat
06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the link in this thread... I finally checked it out and sure'nuff there was a meetup in Fargo:cheering: I was tardy but there nonetheless and may even have a new group to join! I didn't get a lot done, more talking and getting to know everyone...but I had fun. It was a perfect day weatherwise...fun fun fun!!!:heart:

kellycarr05
06-09-2007, 09:24 PM
I was alone in Dallas at the Noth Park Mall. :pout: Maybe next year I'll have some people to knit with.

chillawilla
06-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I didn't know it was Knit in Public Day, but participated anyway while getting my drivers license renewed. Just knitting away on a plain generic sock.

With nothing else for everyone to watch I had a good sized audience. Only one gent mentioned that his mother "used to do that." No one else said a word. :oo: :teehee:

baronreads
06-09-2007, 10:37 PM
I had forgotten all about this, but I was knitting at my son's baseball games today! :lol:

BinkyKat
06-09-2007, 10:47 PM
I kinda think every day is KIP day...I would rather go to the lobby at work where there's a widescreen tv and skip lunch for knitting. But alas, if I did that, the gals I have become chummy with would be all "why do you skip lunch? you can do that in the cafeteria..." whine whine whine. You can't just go be by yourself anymore without getting the 3rd degree really:rollseyes:

Yarn Doc
06-10-2007, 12:18 AM
Here are the pics I took from today in Millennium Park: http://flickr.com/photos/55055617@N00/?saved=1

rebecca
06-10-2007, 03:57 AM
Our KIP was quite comical, it's on my blog (http://whimsicalknitting.blogspot.com/2007/06/wwkip-day-was-today-well-yesterday-now.html). I just can't 'plan' for things to turn out the way i wish!

cara
06-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Here is a pic of me and my daughter and a friend. :) I'm in the yellow shirt.

rebecca
06-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Cara, that is a wonderful picture, I love it! Ya'll look like you are having such fun!

remclave
06-11-2007, 05:46 PM
I KIP'ed in a pool hall! Hubby & I are in a billiards league and this week is the playoffs to see who goes to city playoffs to see who goes to Vegas! :D

rainberry
06-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I knitted a little at my sister's graduation on Sunday (a wee sock).