PDA

View Full Version : *sobbing* i'm knitting wrong!

dakatzmeow
06-09-2007, 11:32 AM
i just realized why my stockinette looks funny. one row of stitches leans and makes my st. st look like a pattern stitch. :shock:

after watching my mom knit, and amy's video again, i realized that i am wrapping my yarn the wrong way. unfortunately, if i correct this problem, i'm going to have to use more hand motions to knit. the way i'm doing it now, the needles do all the work.

i've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, so this is a big deal. i'm crushed. and i'm in the middle of 2 sweaters that i'm going to have to finish in this method before i start learning how to do it right, so my st. st doesn't look wonky.

just had to vent. :ick:

KnittingNat
06-09-2007, 11:43 AM
It's not wrong, it's special!!!:hug::hug::hug:

HamaLee
06-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Try combined knitting for your stockinette!
It's easier (for me) and requires less movement for your hands. It's basically knitting through the backloop and purling by wrapping the "wrong" way....

Check out Amy's video, you may be half-combined knitting already! Good luck.

KnittingNat
06-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Try combined knitting for your stockinette!
It's easier (for me) and requires less movement for your hands. It's basically knitting through the backloop and purling by wrapping the "wrong" way....

Check out Amy's video, you may be half-combined knitting already! Good luck.
HamaLee, you're right. I knit combined when i knit freestyle patterns. the thing is to know when to purl tje "wrong way" to match the backloop knit.

aylaanne
06-09-2007, 03:23 PM
I used to knit like that, and I know a couple of people who still do. It's a design feature. I started knitting continental and stopped wrapping my purl stitches the "wrong" way. I would do whatever is the most comfortable for you, seriously, unless you're submitting to a knitting contest or taking the master knitter class, it's not a big deal.

Braden
06-09-2007, 03:57 PM
There is no wrong way to knit. There is just your way. If you like what you're doing, than that's what you should do! :thumbsup:

Mulderknitter
06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I agree, I think it's a new design feature that you invented and it makes your sweater more special:muah:

Mommy22alyns
06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
It kind of looks like a herringbone pattern, doesn't it? I made most of my daughter's sweater before noticing that too. I think it looks really good, actually!

My only problem was working other items where I needed to be sure to wrap the purl the other way. Very confusing! :shock:

dakatzmeow
06-09-2007, 06:29 PM
thanks for the support guys. i practiced a few rows on this shrug i'm knitting and decided to frog the whole thing and start over. my st. st looks sooooooooo pretty now. i'm getting much faster. it's not as bad as i first though. thanks again.

Braden
06-09-2007, 06:46 PM
It's actually a stitch pattern, if what you're doing is what I think. The name of it is "Crossed Stockinette"

dakatzmeow
06-09-2007, 10:19 PM
i wouldn't be surprised. it does look like herringbone and the cool part is the needles did all the work. now i'm using the pad of my middle finger to help the needle form the stitch. hopefully i won't have hand fatigue from this. and it really isn't as hard as i thought it would be.

Stiney
06-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I used to wrap my knit stitches the wrong way, and purl through the back loop. The retraining of my hands wasn't too hard, surprisingly.

madametj
06-11-2007, 08:24 PM
If its any help, I've just realized that I always mix up the cable fronts (C6F) and the cable backs (C6B). I always figured that the F meant "forward" or away from me...wrong!:doh:

suzeeq
06-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Nope F is for Front - hold the first set of stitches in front of your work.

sue