PDA

View Full Version : My Knitted Clock

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 03:56 PM
I finished the knitted clock I was doing for my mother. What do you think?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/clock.jpg

samm
06-09-2007, 04:20 PM
What a good idea! Did you mount the knitted part on something? May I ask what??? Wouldn't a mitred square make a good clock......... Sounds like I might have to try that! Good job, Mason! :cheering:samm

KnittingNat
06-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Looks great and the buttons' size difference is nice. It's nice that you're back to knitting :hug:

auburnchick
06-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Very nice! Where did you wind up finding the clock mechanism?

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 04:27 PM
What a good idea! Did you mount the knitted part on something? May I ask what??? Wouldn't a mitred square make a good clock......... Sounds like I might have to try that! Good job, Mason! :cheering:samm

thanks. I can't take credit for the idea but I did alter the design a bit.

I think it's supposed to be glued to a cork board for a backing but I couldn't find any cork board and I didn't really want to glue it as I wanted to retain that knitted material look.

I used a piece of plastic mesh. The stuff they use for needlepoint and such. It's just stiff enough to hold the material up and came with a hanger bit at the top.

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Looks great and the buttons' size difference is nice. It's nice that you're back to knitting :hug:

Thanks. It was a lot of fun to make. I wanted to do the large buttons at 12 3 6 and 9 with smaller ones for the other number to make it easier to read at a glance.

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Very nice! Where did you wind up finding the clock mechanism?

Thanks. I found the clock kit at Wally World.

Ronda
06-09-2007, 04:46 PM
That was quick! And very cool. How does it feel to be knitting again?

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 04:58 PM
That was quick! And very cool. How does it feel to be knitting again?

Thanks, it feels good. Actually it just feels good to actually care about anything again.

five_six
06-09-2007, 06:18 PM
That's awesome Mason, I love it! I just might have to give one of these a go too, what better clock for a knitter to have.

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 06:22 PM
That's awesome Mason, I love it! I just might have to give one of these a go too, what better clock for a knitter to have.

Thanks. Now I have to do one for myself. I have some variegated tanish brownish sort of yarn that I haven't figured out what to do with that just might work for one.

I may use beer bottle caps for the number spots.

five_six
06-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Ha ha ha - how appropriate!

marykz
06-09-2007, 06:52 PM
what a neat-o project. it would be a great accent for a family room or den- I'm envisioning coordinated pillows... button trim lampshades... I really like how it turned out!

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 06:57 PM
what a neat-o project. it would be a great accent for a family room or den- I'm envisioning coordinated pillows... button trim lampshades... I really like how it turned out!

:rofling: Thanks.

marykz
06-09-2007, 07:04 PM
:rofling: Thanks.
Aw, come on, don't you have any Ty Pennington in ya? :roflhard:
not even his little goatee?

(male interior designer, famous on American TV)

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Aw, come on, don't you have any Ty Pennington in ya? :roflhard:
not even his little goatee?

(male interior designer, famous on American TV)

ummmmmm............

no

:rofling:

BinkyKat
06-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Wow! You are speedy! It turned out awesome. I am excited to do one for myself or even for my mil:cheering: I love buttons!
Gee, I knitted 2 thongs for my mom for Mother's Day...:oops::teehee:

Doodknitwit
06-09-2007, 07:54 PM
cool :star: ! novel idea too. is this an orignal pattern etc?? :blooby:

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Wow! You are speedy! It turned out awesome. I am excited to do one for myself or even for my mil:cheering: I love buttons!
Gee, I knitted 2 thongs for my mom for Mother's Day...:oops::teehee:

Thanks. It's a pretty quick and easy project.

Thongs? :shock:

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 07:56 PM
cool :star: ! novel idea too. is this an orignal pattern etc?? :blooby:

Yes and no. I got the idea from a post showing a pic of one here on KH, but there's no pattern and I just kinda did it my way. I used a 1x1 rib instead of a seed stitch for the outer border and didn't use all one size buttons.

BinkyKat
06-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Thongs? :shock:

Yup :thumbsup:
Picture my mom: She's like Sharon Osbourne, only without the bad language. She's teeny, 65, runs 3-5 miles several times a week and extolls the wonderful virtues of the thong.:rollseyes:

Oh, and seed/moss stitch is the devilx-(

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Yup :thumbsup:
Picture my mom: She's like Sharon Osbourne, only without the bad language. She's teeny, 65, runs 3-5 miles several times a week and extolls the wonderful virtues of the thong.:rollseyes:

Oh, and seed/moss stitch is the devilx-(

I can dig it and all, but just can't picture knitting thongs for my mother. :rofling:

What's wrong with seed/moss stitch? It looks pretty cool for some stuff.

BinkyKat
06-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Oh it's cool, definitely, I have many patterns that have it as a nice crisp border...but what little of it I have done on a wrap I started it makes me wonder how to keep from going insane! I feel like I'm not too fluid in my motion of bringing the yarn back and forth so often:think:

Yeah, my mom's a character...she says she'll hang one of them off her boyfriend's truck mirror...nice..like garter from his prom date:rollseyes:
My brother is really trying to get the image washed from his brain that I have a pattern not to mention that she might actually wear the silly thing!:roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 09:22 PM
she says she'll hang one of them off her boyfriend's truck mirror

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

I like her and haven't even met her.

I found the solution to the tension thing. I simply stopped thinking about it. It's been nice and even ever since.

redwitch
06-10-2007, 12:18 AM
The pic I posted was from Craftster if anyone wants it, but come on dude! It's a square! Knit a square of whatever kind, colour, size, and stitch you prefer, choose a backing you like, cut backing to just smaller than the square, cut a hole of the appropriate size for your mechanism, attach mechanism to backing, attach square, attach your favourite hands, and insert batteries. hang it on the wall.

Sarah

Knitting_Guy
06-10-2007, 06:37 AM
The pic I posted was from Craftster if anyone wants it, but come on dude! It's a square! Knit a square of whatever kind, colour, size, and stitch you prefer, choose a backing you like, cut backing to just smaller than the square, cut a hole of the appropriate size for your mechanism, attach mechanism to backing, attach square, attach your favourite hands, and insert batteries. hang it on the wall.

Sarah

Umm, yeah. Exactly.

Thanks for the idea.

Susan P.
06-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Good job Mason. The beer cap thing reminded me of what some people say here when looking at their watches.. "Hey, it's "beer o'clock"!"

Knitting_Guy
06-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Good job Mason. The beer cap thing reminded me of what some people say here when looking at their watches.. "Hey, it's "beer o'clock"!"

Thanks. LOL

nadja la claire
06-10-2007, 03:15 PM
YAY! Mason :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Great job :thumbsup:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

Kaydee
06-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Mason, that's so cool. You did a great job!!:cheering:

Newfygirl
06-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Mason - so glad you are back - I enjoy reading your posts. Your clock is awsome - I will put that on my "to do list".

Keep trucking!!!!!

samm
06-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Plastic canvas as a backing is a brilliant idea, Mason! It would be so light and easy to attach the knitting to. I'm glad you're starting to feel better. :0) samm

sara_jayne
06-11-2007, 10:32 AM
It looks great, Mason! I love how shiny the buttons are!

I think beer caps would be perfect for yours! :cheering:

robynbird
06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Great job! :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
06-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Plastic canvas as a backing is a brilliant idea, Mason! It would be so light and easy to attach the knitting to. I'm glad you're starting to feel better. :0) samm

Oh, is that the correct name for it? Plastic canvas? Learn something new every day :rofl:

It was just an improved thing as I couldn't lay my hands on cork board. It just looked like it would work.

redheadrachel
06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Ooh, I love it! Really great job, and I love the way the buttons look! :D As usual, I'm really impressed by Knitting_Guy!

hydeemarie
06-11-2007, 10:31 PM
OMG that is awesome! I love the color combonation of the knitted part and the buttons! Its an amazing project... and it's even more amazing to see those of us who have done it! Way to go!!! :cheering::happydancing::thumbsup:

Godiva337
06-12-2007, 12:13 AM
:cheering: What a great idea!! I love the clock, you did such a great job on it!!

temergency
06-12-2007, 06:38 AM
:happydance: Great job Mason! and a great idea....I've been trying to come up with something for Christmas for my 7 brothers and sisters and their families, I was going to try and knit 30 scarves but just the thought........:ick: so this is great and I have a bunch of odd hanked handspun I've bought so it will be perfect! Now if I can just get this spinning wheel to work, I could then spin my own and knit that!!!

Keep your chin up, I read your blog and have been thinking of you....

Take care and stay safe

Theresa:hug:

Arielluria
06-12-2007, 03:21 PM
That is SO cool. I saw your mention of it on your blog a few days ago and was hoping you would post it.

Great work!