PDA

View Full Version : Best Yarn For Dishcloths?

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I would like to knit some dishcloths, dish towels, bath towels, and washcloths. What's the best kind of yarn to use for these?

BinkyKat
06-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Sugar & Creme cotton my friend! Found at Michael's & Hobby Lobby ,"Peaches & Creme" if shoppig at wallyworld:thumbsup:
The wally brand has a washcloth pattern called the "Ballband" cloth that is also featured in the Mason-Dixon Knitting book. It has a waffley pattern to it and you can really come up with some awesome color combos

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks Jodie. I guess what I'm asking is wool, acrylic, cotton, or some blend?

Sugar & Cream is a cotton, but what about the others? Is cotton the best for these sorts of things? I can imagine that one wouldn't want their cloths to felt :rofling:

aylaanne
06-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Definitely cotton. And you want it to be unmercenized. I used Lion Cotton for the dishcloth I made for the Yarn Harlot. I will say, if you're making something with a pattern, to stick with solid colors, because the pattern shows up better.

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Definitely cotton. And you want it to be unmercenized. I used Lion Cotton for the dishcloth I made for the Yarn Harlot. I will say, if you're making something with a pattern, to stick with solid colors, because the pattern shows up better.

Thanks.

Now for the next stupid question: what's the best weight for these?

redwitch
06-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Cotton... the consensus seems to be Peaches and Cream, or Sugar and Cream from, um, WalMart or somewhere? That's for dishcloths. I don't know about the towels.... same stuff octupled? Use the dishcloths as swatches for the towels... that's a lot of work!
For a bath mat, how about old T-shirts cut into strips - a long continuous spiral all the way up - and tied together? That wool would make an interesting bathmat!

lissalue
06-09-2007, 09:19 PM
most of what i have seen that is easy to get is worsted weight. i use either sugar n' cream or peaches n' cream.

BinkyKat
06-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I suppose a cotton animal blend would have the felting factor. But I think there are some that have done a cotton acrylic or even a microfiber version just because it may hold up. I think 100% is popular for it's drying out ability. And S & C is dirt cheap for somethign that gets a lot of use. Someone once posted about using Microspun for dusting cloths because it's microfiber. I thought that was a fab idea for using as a glass cleaning cloth too.:thumbsup:

lissalue
06-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Cotton... the consensus seems to be Peaches and Cream, or Sugar and Cream from, um, WalMart or somewhere? That's for dishcloths. I don't know about the towels.... same stuff octupled? Use the dishcloths as swatches for the towels... that's a lot of work!
For a bath mat, how about old T-shirts cut into strips - a long continuous spiral all the way up - and tied together? That wool would make an interesting bathmat!

i think that t-shirt idea is pretty cool. i am going to definitely give that one some thought!1 thanks for that!

suzeeq
06-09-2007, 09:21 PM
There's only one weight for Sugar/peaches and cream - a worsted. You can double or triple it for bathmats. For towels you may want to find a cotton/linen blend which will probably be a DK, but might be worsted. Oh, a lot of people have used Lion's Microspun for washcloths, not dishrags. It's softer and thinner too. Might work for towels, but I don't know how absorbable it is. Possibly Lions CottonEase would work for facecloths too and that's worsted.

Hope you made sense of all my afterthoughts.... <g>

sue

dakatzmeow
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
ooooooooooo, knitpicks just put spinnaker and crayon on sale. the first is bulky and the second is dk weight. both are cotton and on sale. did i say they're having a great sale? ;)

i saw a bathmat on that site made from spinnaker.

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow, ok. Lots of info to work through but it looks like cotton is the way to go.

Thanks everyone.

newamy
06-09-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm chiming in late, yes cotton-like others have already said above. But for something more elegant like a nice guest towel use linen or a cotton linen blend. Linen is supposed to last for ever. The Mason Dixon Knitting book has lovely linen guest towels. Linen is also more expensive- I have not tried the new KP Cotlin but that would makes some nice towels and cloths.
Oh and using two or three strands held together makes nice cushy bath mats.

HollyP
06-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Mason, if you are doing a bathmat/kitchen rug you might want to check out the double worsted peaches and cream. You can get one pound cone very reasonably from the elmore pisgah (http://www.elmore-pisgah.com/On%20Line%20Store.htm) store (they are the manufacturer.)

Knitting_Guy
06-09-2007, 11:02 PM
I'll keep the linen in mind.

I'm not doing a mat or rug, just some towels, wash cloths, and such.

Thanks. :lol:

Jan in CA
06-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Well..... I agree that cotton or a mostly cotton blend is best. I made dishcloths with S&C and to be honest I'm not entirely happy with them. Yes, they are very absorbent and they do the job, but they look like crap, not nice anymore at all. They stain badly and bleach removes most of the color. Also I don't find them soft. I still use them, but since I made these, ArtLady shared her microfiber dishcloths. I made some and love how bright and pretty they stay. They aren't as absorbent, but they do work pretty well and so far I've had no staining problems. All this being said I'm not sure that microfiber would work well for towels or be inexpensive like S&C.

Soooo to that end I suggest you buy several single skeins of different types of cotton/cotton blend/microfiber or whatever and make some washcloths/dishcloths and see which ones YOU like the best. Then you won't have spent a fortune for a towel you hate to use.

projectgal
06-09-2007, 11:46 PM
They stain badly and bleach removes most of the color.

I'm no microbiologist, but based on the advice of a dishcloth board I frequent, I microwave my dishcloths after I wash them. It won't remove stains, but it does kill germs. I generally microwave a clean, wet cloth for two minutes or so. When it comes out of the microwave, I let it air dry.

Someone with more creditials want to verify this for me??

And Mason, don't make the same mistake that I made... cotton yarn and bamboo needles don't mix! :ick: Let this be your excuse to buy a few Addis or Options if you haven't already.

Jan in CA
06-10-2007, 01:30 AM
I'm no microbiologist, but based on the advice of a dishcloth board I frequent, I microwave my dishcloths after I wash them. It won't remove stains, but it does kill germs. I generally microwave a clean, wet cloth for two minutes or so. When it comes out of the microwave, I let it air dry.

I used to microwave the sponge before I started using dishcloths. Now I just was them and toss them in the dryer.

Doodknitwit
06-10-2007, 07:19 AM
MY DH is the king of our kitchen head chef etc..:yay:
he loves the dishcloths I make from the above reference yarns!!!:star: they are very durable :blooby:
Plymouth yarn has a pattern I use for them...which you can also use with Plymouth's cotton chenille to make a neat soft facecloth..I wrap a bar of scented soap for a small gift!!:happydance::happydancing: this same pattern makes a neat baby blanket too :aww: Hope this isn't t.m.i. :eyes:

Knitting_Guy
06-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Sounds like good advice Jan, thanks.

I'll check out the S&C and some of the others mentioned. I appreciate the suggestions.

figaro
06-10-2007, 09:38 AM
I have made about 12 washcloths, all with cotton and all with bamboo needles and except for knitting the first row, they are fine. It might be that I knit loosely but for me, the bamboos are my favorites. And unfortunately not knit much for myself (1) but the one that I use is great for cleaning items that take a little extra muscle but not scratching.

Knitting_Guy
06-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Cool. I don't have any bamboo needles, I mostly just use the Options these days.