PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here! I need your help please.

Yas
06-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi everyone !
I'm new to this forum and new to knitting too. I'm teaching myself to knit and do not get any books out here to learn. I did manage to get some beginner books and now have learn't the basic Cast on, knit cast on , knit, purl, increase and decrease.
I just finished one of my first knit project a baby booties for beginners from the Bernat site. It's a basic pattern but was nice to work. I enjoyed doing it.
This is a very friendly group of people and I was hoping that some of you can guide me to some easy beginner projects in baby stuff. I make things for charity for babies. And I'd like to learn doing small projects as they finish fast and give a sense of acheivement.
Typically,I started off with some open work patterned shawl, a project too intimidating and big for a beginner like me with no one around here to help incase I'm stuck. So I ended up frogging out and kept trying other stuff butI keep getting stuck:cry:.
I'm working on a very easy baby cap pattern where you end up making a rectangle and then sewing the whole thing into a tube and bunching up the top portion. This is easy and I'm learning to do the ribbed patten in this. But I'd like to move on to the next step. What projects should I pick up:think:? Please help !!! I
Love ,
Yasmin.
P.S. You can see my knit booties HERE (http://hooksandlaces.blogspot.com/)

auburnchick
06-10-2007, 01:52 PM
The booties are really cute! GREAT job!

I pick patterns that introduce new stitches or concepts. Each project I select is a little more difficult than the previous one. You can come here any time for help!

Welcome to the board and to knitting!

Braden
06-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Ditto what Nathalie said.

nadja la claire
06-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Yasmin :waving: Welcome to the forum. The booties are so cute!!

You may want to start a sampler scarf. It's a great way to learn new stitches and try out new techniques and patterns. You don't have to seam, you just knit a square and when you're ready you just start another using a different color and each square is a little more difficult than the one before it. Does this make sense?

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

Yas
06-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Nathalie, I have picked up another project which is slightly more difficult , it's a simple pattern witha big ribbing of three rows each of knit and purl.
Nadja, I like your suggestion of sampler square. Great idea. I'm on the lookout of very simple pattern squares:).How about 6" squares in fingering yarn? Thats the only yarn I have available here.

nadja la claire
06-12-2007, 11:20 AM
The size and the yarn are up to you, it's your project. Although worsted weight is probably better just because of the time it will take to knit it, but if all you have is fingering then that's all you have. 6" to 9" is perfect.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

suzeeq
06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Dishcloth patterns can be very good for sampler squares, as well as trying out new stitch patterns. There's pages of them at http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/%7Edishbout/kpatterns/knitting.html)

sue

Trippy
06-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Hey!
I'm a n00b here too.
Here is an amazingly simple book with easy instructions and a lot of great patterns:

http://www.amazon.com/Stitch-N-Bitch-Knitters-Handbook/dp/0761128182/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-8246674-5028017?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181679684&sr=8-1

I love this book. I have a really hard time trying to understand something that someone can't physcially show me how to do. :shrug:
I got my hands on this book and learned how to make almost-perfect cables in a day, and I am now an intarsia and fair isle freak. :happydancing:
The instructions are clear and the author has a great sense of humor. Hope it helps some!.

dink
06-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I agree with the dishcloths. I found that they were a good way to follow different patterns of knitting/purling and alternating between the two. Nothing quite as big as a blanket or something which may take a lot of time. The dishcloths taught me to pay attention to what row I was on and follow the pattern instructions!

Another website is the Monthly Dishcloth Website on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MonthlyDishcloths/

Good luck!

Yas
06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Sue ,
Thanks for the wonderful link. It looks like it could really help.
Yasmin.

Yas
06-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Trippy ,
That book sound like a wonderful asset. And looks like you really talented to have accomplished so much in just a day. I'm such a slow learner :(. I've checked out the books and many online stores do not ship the things out here. And those that do ship overseas charge horribly high rates. Too high for me to afford.
I just drool over the books and yarn available ther.Out here we are really short of books and yarn. I do make the most of the online resources but yarn is the really tough to get.
Yasmin.

Yas
06-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanx for the link to the group. I'll check it out .
Yasmin.