PDA

View Full Version : my alpaca problem...

bellium
06-10-2007, 11:50 AM
hello, my name is bellium, and i am an alpacaholic...

it all started with two skeins of blue sky alpaca sport-weight baby alpaca i found in the corner of an antiques store while visiting my in-laws in iowa. i was a new knitter, i had never before touched alpaca wool. so enthralled was i by the velvety feel, the warmth, the rich, beautiful colors...soon i was making more and more frequent trips to the yarn store, wandering the aisles, fondling the yarn...even in the 90 degree weather we have been having here on the east coast, i can't seem to get out the yarn store door without at least 2 balls of the wonderful stuff...from classic AL to debbie bliss alpaca silk to my newest love, the plymouth yarn alpaca collection, i love it all.

last night i got a phone call from an old friend who recently moved to vermont - she became friendly with a retired couple who have taken up raising alpacas as a hobby - the last time she was at their farm, they tried to give her skeins and skeins of yarn they spun from their animals - they aren't really into alpacas for the money, and she declined...she realized afterwards that i might be interested, and called to let me know the next time she's at their farm, she'll take them up on their offer.

be still my heart...

nadja la claire
06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry but I really don't see what the problem is. You sound completely normal to me :teehee: Although your friend sounds a little daft. I mean how could anyone in their right mind pass up FREE alpaca? Perhaps she should be committed for observation.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

SueW
06-10-2007, 05:43 PM
:roflhard: Your post made my day!

beckyrhae
06-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I so share your addiction. I have Misti Alpaca sitting in my stash to make a sweater with... I cant wait to start it. But I've told myself to wait until I've knitted 2 pairs of socks.

michellebreton
06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Let's see.....if you don't know what to do with all that Alpaca, you could send some to me :pray:

Michelle

snowbear
06-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Bellium, *Gently hugging you with my paws, my dear,

We are enablers. We will help you get more yarn. We will remind you to tell all friends & family that alpaca is your best friend. There is no such thing as too much alpaca.

Now, if you think you have too much.. I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Just pm me & I'll be happy to reimburse any & all of your shipping & handling.

I don't want you to be nervous. Just trying to do the bearable thing here.

Big Bear Hugs! ;)

misstialouise
06-11-2007, 04:14 AM
mmmmm.. free alpaca....

If you find you have too much (yeah.. right..).. you could always share with your ever lovin' KH community.. ;)

I have two skeins of Eki Riva alpaca, and at AUS$16 a skein, I'm yet to actually do soemthing with it... but I constantly sit there stroking it... Mmmmmmm

zkimom
06-11-2007, 06:30 AM
mmmmm.. free alpaca....

If you find you have too much (yeah.. right..).. you could always share with your ever lovin' KH community.. ;)

I have two skeins of Eki Riva alpaca, and at AUS$16 a skein, I'm yet to actually do soemthing with it... but I constantly sit there stroking it... Mmmmmmm

Oh, alright, I'll admit it -- I have 8 or 9 skeins of Baby Alpaca Grande in my drawer and I take it out just to give it squeeze every now and then until I can figure out what to make with it. I had bought it for a shrug and couldn't get the gauge right so I am still in search of the perfect pattern for my treasure. It's the yummiest rust color and reminds me of fall in New England. So far, the perfect pattern hasn't appeared so I continue to fondle . . .:inlove: I love alpaca!

Best,
Susan

sara_jayne
06-11-2007, 09:53 AM
:rofl: I too think you don't have a problem!

Free yarn? :passedout: How wonderful! I hope you'll post pictures when you get it!