PDA

View Full Version : Poll (of sorts) what do you do while you knit?

itsjustmeghan
06-10-2007, 07:41 PM
so i was outside knitting and chilling on my patio this afternoon, and i started wondering....what do other people do when they are knitting?:??

me?
in the mornings during the week, i carpool with DH and DS, so i sit in back with DS and if he's snoozing, i knit on the way to work. WAY easier during summer months because there's sunlight. i'll need to get a reading light or something for this winter.
during the summer months, in the morning or evening (depends on when the tot takes his nap) i sit on my patio, watch birds, and sip on iced coffee.
at night, i'll catch up on episodes of LOST or watch the food network. (i LOVE that station).
during the winter months, i'll watch The Office (bbc version, of course), lord of the rings, all the harry potters, etc.
or
sometimes i'll chill and watch my DH play video games. we actually do that one quite a bit in the evening. a nice way to unwind together after a long day.

so, my kh friends, what do YOU do while you knit? :shrug:

Wolfmama
06-10-2007, 07:50 PM
I have never been able to knit (or crochet or cross stitch or read) in the car...it gives me motion sickness. I wish I could!

We have a great backyard with a screened porch overlooking the pool. and in the nice weather I love to knit out there...or on the porch swing we have on the deck.
Inside, I often just listen to music while I knit....or sometimes watch TV. My DH watches more TV than I do, so sometimes I often just sit with him on the loveseat, with the TV on, but not paying attention to what is on.

When my children were young, I used to bring my knitting to their sports events and recitals...I was careful to put it down and focus while they were competing, but there was always a lot of wait time.

bellium
06-10-2007, 07:58 PM
chalk me up as another person who can't sit in the car and knit - if i do anything besides look straight ahead, i tend to get nauseous.

i usually knit in front of the TV - husband watches, i am still a newish knitter and i need to look at what i am doing, so i guess i listen to TV more than watch it.

anytime i have to go to a place where i am likely to wait around - doctor's, dentist, etc., i will bring something to knit while i wait.

kaytee
06-10-2007, 08:28 PM
chalk me up as another person who can't sit in the car and knit - if i do anything besides look straight ahead, i tend to get nauseous.

Me too! I get so sick if I'm not looking out the windows.
Usually when I am knitting, I listen to music.:happydancing:

baronreads
06-10-2007, 08:33 PM
I usually watch TV, either my shows or someone else's. But I also knit in the car, any trip over 1/2 hour. And this summer I plan to get alot of felted bags done at baseball games. I have to knit something EASY at the games, otherwise I make mistakes, so that's PERFECT for the games! I'm so excited I picked up this hobby! :D

samm
06-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I knit in the car, on the deck in summer, and while the tv is on. Sometimes I knit in line, but it embarrasses my husband. Oh well...

michellebreton
06-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I knit in the car if it is a longish ride, and I almost always knit while I'm visiting with my in-laws (they don't mind a bit!).

At home if I'm knitting, I'm usually sitting in the living room and I at least need the TV on...even if I'm not watching it. In the evenings I'll knit while watching my Red Sox play...or sometimes Law and Order...yeah..I'm a Law and Order junkie!

Michelle

Tutu Carol
06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I am in a 12 step program of recovery, I knit at every meeting!! I never leave home w/o a project in a bag !! As well, I spend way too much time @ the doctors & knit in the waiting room. Also, when I am watching TV !!

I love this site !!!!

brokenblossoms
06-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Sometimes I'll watch movies.

auburnchick
06-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I watch TV...especially NASCAR on Sundays. I haven't gotten to knit in a couple of weeks now because I keep having to write endless papers for one of my classes.

I am one of those people who can knit pretty much anywhere, though. I knit in the car and at soccer games. I take my knitting to my daughter's physical therapy (she had knee surgery in February). I'll plop myself on the floor in the workout room so I can watch her and knit.

kellycarr05
06-10-2007, 09:50 PM
The better question is.....what I dont do while I'm knitting. I AM ALWAYS KNITTING. Theater, riding in a car, family functions, doctors visits, eye exam visits, basically anything where I will have time. I always have a project with me. If I could knit in my sleep I would be right on it. :rofling::cheering:

snowbear
06-10-2007, 10:09 PM
I knit at work, I knitted in line at the DMV... I've knitted on the plane.. I usually do all the driving.. (I'm single and the cat doesn't have a license) so I don't knit while driving.

I knit watching tv, dvds, movies, etc.

I love to put on a long movie, get all settled, and knit the afternoon or evening away. I work 4 days 3 off.. so I pick one and try to knit most of the day. It is so relaxing and helps me sort things out. My hands do it automatically, and if it's an easy pattern, I can talk on the phone, knit, watch tv, and relax all at the same time!

I can multi task since I've been doing that since high school.. where I listened to the radio, talked on the phone to bf/ and did homework at the same time.. lol

Knitting at the Dr.'s office.. is a given.. though it did surprise Him when he came in and had to take my knitting away so He could do his exam, lol. He did say it was better than eating junk food.. so I figure I have Dr.s orders to knit.. a perfect excuse to buy more yarn. Now if he had just written a perscription for that...

Bear hugs.

knitwit628
06-10-2007, 10:13 PM
I knit in the car, while watching tv, playing on the computer etc... I knit practically anywhere! :)

Doodknitwit
06-10-2007, 10:20 PM
That may be a good thing since I am on the road driving in my job :eyes: I knit and email you guys and other friends :X: :yay::yay: My DH and I email from one laptop to the other across the room jokes etc... Usually have the TV on watching
well sort of............. but :X::X::X: :woohoo:

Shandeh
06-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I knit in my craft room, while watching tv or listening to a book on tape. I also knit when my husband drives us places...I don't get sick if I'm in the front seat. I knit in restaurants, while I wait for my car to be serviced, at the doctor's office, or anywhere else that I have to wait.

And, I knit at church too. I'm the organist, and I keep a small knitting project at the bench so I can knit when I'm not playing. Most of my knitting is for charity, so I guess it's being "blessed" at church. :teehee:

But my favorite place to knit is at knit-togethers with my KH friends! :heart:

redmom37
06-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I knit while tv is on,at work during lunch,& in the morning with my coffee:lol:

Lieke
06-11-2007, 03:33 AM
I usually knit while watching tv or a movie. I really love doing both. I also knit while in the train. Sometimes when DBF has a new WII game, I take my knitting with me to his place and I knit while he's playing.

debinoz
06-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I knit while listening to the t.v. and... while listening to the t.v..... and....

lucky_alf2
06-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I knit mainly while watching TV. I take it along when I travel but am not very fast in the car because I also get sick. I take it to appointments and to kids stuff (karate lessons, soccer, etc) where I have to wait. I have a 20 month in tow at the moment so I don't get much knitting done when she is along, although sometimes she is happy to just color for 20 mintues while waiting....As I live in AZ I don't knit as much in the summer as it is so hot -- although the rest of year I like to take it out front with me while I watch the neighbor kids play in the cul-de-sac.

G J
06-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Most of the above are true for me (car, watching TV, movies, Dr. office, listening to books on tape, etc.) but I'll add another: While substitute teaching! Depending on the class, I can get a lot of knitting done. One day, I watched the same movie about cake decorating 6 times (ugh!) and knit through all 6 viewings. At other times, kids will be taking tests and I'll walk around the room with my knitting, keeping an eye on them while I do. The kids think it's pretty cool. I get requested to sub for the same classes repeatedly, so the kids often ask about the project I was working on "last time". I've even taught several students (and numerous teachers) to knit!

traceleighj
06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Lately, I have been finding knitting as an excuse to sit and watch a movie. My favorite movie towatch lately while I knit is Pride & Prejudice.

Quiltlady
06-11-2007, 05:27 PM
When I knit I watching tv. IF I can doing a complicated patterns than I turn the tv OFF.:pray:

I have the Yarn Harlot's newest book in my car. I read that if I am waiting for someone or early for an appointment. I prefer that than the actual knitting in the car.:happydance:

beckyrhae
06-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I knit in the car, while watching tv, playing on the computer etc... I knit practically anywhere! :)

I keep meaning to blog about this... I like to knit while playing DDO (http://www.ddo.com/)on the computer. My husband is a teacher and off for the summer so we are playing our online game ALOT more right now. I will pick up socks or something small and work on them while we have pauses in the game.

Most of the time its usually just knitting while the TV is on, at work during breaks, while waiting in line at the bank (we have to use the motor bank at work)

Rorshach
06-11-2007, 06:11 PM
I usually sit and think while knitting, other times I just sit. Seriously though, I mainly listen to music.

KnitClickChick
06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I knit on the bus to work, on the way home, while watching tv, while waiting for a table in a restaurant, on trips in the car. When I knit and try to watch tv, I usually get so involved in the knitting that I totally tune out the tv. I especially love to get up early on the weekends, before everyone is out mowing their grass and making all kinds of noise. I have a cup of tea or coffee and just listen to the birds and sit in my rocking chair and enjoy knitting in the peace and quiet.

Jen17
06-12-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm lucky I can knit in the car, so I will go anywhere, with just about anyone!
We had to go to a funeral on Saturday (neither of us had ever met the person), so I knitted the hour it took us to get there. I asked my husband if he thought anyone would mind if I knitted during the mass...I thought he was going to flip, until I told him I was only kidding (well, sort of, lol!).
Today, I just drove to the ocean and sat in the car and knitted in peace and quiet for an hour before I had to go to work! It was wonderful!

lissie
06-12-2007, 07:42 AM
I listen to the TV while watching my knitting. :lol:

michellebreton
06-12-2007, 07:42 AM
He did say it was better than eating junk food.. so I figure I have Dr.s orders to knit.. a perfect excuse to buy more yarn. Now if he had just written a perscription for that...

:roflhard::roflhard:

Hey I should see if I can get one of those prescriptions from my Dr. too!

Michelle

GinnyG
06-12-2007, 07:57 AM
A better questions is what am I doing while I KNIT.....
I knit in the car
I knit at my Ambulance Squad meetings
I knit while I'm on duty at the Fire Station
I knit when I go to seminars for work
I knit in the morning while I'm waiting for DH to be ready to leave for work
I knit while I watch TV
I knit at work during lunch and when I am waiting for DH to pick me up
I take my knitting to the ball park, movie theater and concerts

About the only place I don't knit is church (do you think God would mind??)

G J
06-12-2007, 08:04 AM

I know a pastor in Seattle who ENCOURAGES a group of knitters in his church. They all sit together and somtimes pass their knitting around during the sermon. How cool is THAT?:happydancing::pray:

I think church would be a GREAT place to knit, but I haven't dared to knit DURING church yet. I used to sing backup vocals with our praise band and would knit BETWEEN services and in the lounge during the second service.

dakatzmeow
06-12-2007, 08:20 AM
can't knit in the car. i'm one of the group that gets car sick. i love to take my bag to my girls' tae kwon do lessons. other than that, i knit at home, or when visiting family/friends. i like to pop in a movie i've seen 100 times and just listen, or put on my headphones and tune out the world with my mp3.

i'd love to take it to work, but i only get 30 min for lunch, and 10 of that is consumed with getting/heating food.

larudden
06-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Gosh, I've actually had to force myself not to knit because I don't get anything else done! I just look at the dirty laundry, full trashcan, full dishwasher, etc., and then I sit down on the couch and knit.:knitting::knitting::knitting:

Since Matt and I have to travel an hour and a half every weekend to our other home, I knit on the way down and back until I can't see. I gotta get a light!

Some days, I'll just sit on the couch with my pug and the DIY channel on and I'll knit. When I take my breaks at work, I knit some more. As a Worship Leader, I have to get to church early on Sunday so, after we do our run through, I'll knit. I hope to travel to Belize on a mission in the near future to teach the young girls at an orphanage how to knit.

I'm slightly obsessed and am always "knitting in my head" which can sometimes be exhausting. But I love it!:knitting::knitting:

KnittingNat
06-12-2007, 08:41 AM
I can't knit in anything that moves :ick:... When i knit i usually try to put my kitten of the knees, so simultenously it looks funny, i do it with my elbows :rofling: Sometimes i watch something or just sit with my hubby while he's looking at something on the internet (usually car parts that he can't get :drool:)...Or i just sit and listen to music while knitting...

Shandeh
06-12-2007, 07:14 PM

I know a pastor in Seattle who ENCOURAGES a group of knitters in his church. They all sit together and somtimes pass their knitting around during the sermon. How cool is THAT?:happydancing::pray:

I think church would be a GREAT place to knit, but I haven't dared to knit DURING church yet. I used to sing backup vocals with our praise band and would knit BETWEEN services and in the lounge during the second service.
I knit in church EVERY SUNDAY, and I'm the organist! :teehee:

geekgolightly
06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
i knit in evenings while watching a movie from blockbuster online (big 1930's kick these days. last night it was Grand Hotel. lovely movie. really good), and when my hubby brings the lap top to the couch, i'll turn off the television and knit in silence with him while he programs or reads a book. those are my best knitting times.

i knit while my little one watches his scooby doo video. the only time he is somewhat still

i also knit when waiting around for stuff, but it isn't that often. all of my docs have excellent customer service. i feel lucky.

G J
06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
I knit in church EVERY SUNDAY, and I'm the organist! :teehee:
Lucky you! Can the pastor & congregation SEE you?

Shandeh
06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Lucky you! Can the pastor & congregation SEE you?
Sometimes they see me, but I don't care. I'm not disrupting the service in any way. I'm just quietly knitting, as I listen to the sermon.

I figure that if someone is worried about my knitting, then they aren't listening to the sermon as they should anyway. :teehee: