PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to teach a knitting class!

zkimom
06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Dear Ones,

I took the plunge and enrolled in the Craft Yarn Council's Certified Instructor's Program. In order to do that, I need to have a certain number of hours teaching knitting. So I am offering a class to the homeschooling group that my son and I belong to.

I am going to send out a feeler email to see if anyone wants to participate. I'd love some feedback.

Here's what I wrote:

Why learn to knit? For children, learning to knit can improve fine motor skills, eye-hand coordination, and aid brain development. For adults, knitting can keep our fingers moving and flexible and keep our hands from getting stiff. For all of us, knitting can be relaxing and rewarding.

Iím offering an 8-week knitting class to homeschoolers starting in the fall (times and location to be announced.) Parents are welcome to participate. The class will be geared towards beginning knitters but any and all are welcome to join. We will learn how to cast on and the basic stitches of knitting: the knit and the purl stitch. We will learn how to use these basic stitches to create other stitches such as ribbing and the moss stitch. We will learn how to correct mistakes and pick up dropped stitches. We will learn about different yarn weights and how to measure the gauge of our knitted fabric. Each student will be allowed to progress at his or her own pace.

If you are interested in participating, email me at xxxxxxx. Class size will be limited to 10 students so that everyone can get the attention they need.

There are so many details to work out now. Like, is it 8 weeks and 2 hours or 10 weeks and an hour and a half? I'm not sure if a class project is the way to go or if I can let everyone choose their own like a small stuffed animal (I have great patterns that only use rectangles and squares and make the cutest little pets!) or a scarf.

I will charge a nominal fee if I have to pay for the space I get. I am going to ask that everyone purchase their own supplies and just give them a list of where to get what they need. Then I think I will let my LYS know that I've recommended them and ask them to consider giving my students a discount of some kind.

So what do you all think?

If this goes well, I will have an intermediate class following the beginner class and keep going until I have all my teaching hours in.

I'm so excited! I hope this works out -- I'd be bummed if no one wants to learn to knit :pout: but then again, I can't imagine that!

TIA,
Susan

KnittingNat
06-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Good luck! I hope your class will be full :cheering:

Braden
06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
You sound like a very good teacher! Hope the class is all full!

kemp
06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
That's great! Hope you get lots of students.

sara_jayne
06-11-2007, 09:45 AM
What a great idea! Your note is fantastic and hopefully you'll get a lot of response! :hug:

feministmama
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
If I were you I'd do the 1 and a half hour class for 10 weeks. 2 hours is too long for kids.

I think you should have them do a small project but give them 2-3 choices. A toy, a belt, a little amulet bag, a bookmark, etc.

You sound like you know what yer doing though. Good luck!:hug:

Kaydee
06-11-2007, 10:40 AM
What a great idea. Good luck!

Silver
06-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Best of luck!!