PDA

View Full Version : Yarn Co-op?

MrsJSD
06-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Is anyone aware of any yarn co-ops in operation? By that I mean a group of knitters and/or weavers who buy as a group, like food co-ops do, in order to get bulk discounts.

nadja la claire
06-11-2007, 10:31 AM
I don't know of any but I've thought of starting one.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

Mariblue
06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
I did a google search and found yarnaddicts (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/yarnaddicts/#ans) . It's a yahoo group co-op. I don't have any experience with it, but thought I'd share.
Anyone else know about this?

Eloewien
06-11-2007, 05:43 PM
I have a friend that's part of a Peace Fleece co-op... I can try to get info for you tomorrow if you're interested :)

MrsJSD
06-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Yes, please...I'd love to know how it's working for them.

jeanius80
06-11-2007, 09:38 PM
:pout:umm.. i feel a little ignorant.. what is a yarn co-op?:shifty:

MrsJSD
06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Consumer co-ops are more or less organized groups of people who want to buy something directly from producers and distributors instead of buying it retail. Some of these groups call themselves buying clubs and some even have a physical "store" which may or may not be open to the public. Everyone shares in the work of ordering and delivering. The idea is to order enough of something so that the group will be given wholesale-like prices, as if it were a retail establishment.

I've participated in several food co-ops and clubs over the years, and I thought, "Why not yarn?"

jeanius80
06-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Consumer co-ops are more or less organized groups of people who want to buy something directly from producers and distributors instead of buying it retail. Some of these groups call themselves buying clubs and some even have a physical "store" which may or may not be open to the public. Everyone shares in the work of ordering and delivering. The idea is to order enough of something so that the group will be given wholesale-like prices, as if it were a retail establishment.

I've participated in several food co-ops and clubs over the years, and I thought, "Why not yarn?"
thanks for the info, thats what i was tyhinking it was! what a great idea..... off to research :)

Doodknitwit
06-12-2007, 03:17 PM
no but what an awesome idea...... would the co op need a business license...