PDA

View Full Version : OT - High fat, non dairy diet

RiverDaughter
06-12-2007, 04:51 PM
I suck at planning out diets, but I'm pretty good at cooking about damn near anything that comes my way, with a recipe of course. :roflhard:

So, moral is, I need to gain weight again (moving + high metabolism = four pounds from being underweight... again :ick:), so I was wondering if anyone here knew any high fat, non dairy recipes. Yeah, no lard either please. That stuff is just teh ick. :roflhard:

I've been eating a lot of bacon, eggs, and a vegan version of pizza (with pepperoni of course! ), but, in a town this small, getting things that I can eat that would supply fat is... nearly impossible. Everything that's non dairy is pretty much fat free, and it's driving me up the wall. :pout:

marykz
06-12-2007, 04:56 PM
you might want to look into some of the meal replacement bars- special ones for athletes are generally balanced between protein, fat and carbs... and unless they are milk chocolate, they are generally dairy free ( Ithink.) you may also want to check the thread from last month (?) there was someone with similar weight issues trying to gain healthily. (was it nobones?)
Some online groceries will ship anywhere- as long as USP or fedex can get to your place, the food can. netgrocer.com comes to mind, but I'm sure there are more.
hope you get some tasty non-lard recipes!!

mmmmm..... bacon.....

kaybee
06-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Do you like peanut butter? (I feel your pain -- I'm allergic to dairy AND eggs.)

KB

RiverDaughter
06-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Do you like peanut butter? (I feel your pain -- I'm allergic to dairy AND eggs.)

KB

Oh, that sucks. But I had a camper last summer that was allergic to dairy, eggs, and wheat. I swear, nothing but rice for the rest of her life, poor darling.

I'll make sure to grab some peanut butter tonight. Mmmm... peanut butter. :inlove:

Nobones
06-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes it's me trying to put the waiting on. In all this time I've only managed 6lbs. I' think my way with crisps and candy would have been easier!

Good luck with your quest, it's going to be tough but stick with it.

Nobones
06-12-2007, 06:00 PM
This is the link to thread I started. Have a look through, there are some great tips. Apart from eat bananas :ick: NEVER a good tip for me. :teehee:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58424

auburnchick
06-12-2007, 06:17 PM
You know, you really need to check labels carefully. Are you lactose intolerant -- hence your dairy-free diet?

Many, many products contain powdered milk, so be careful!

I would PM monidew. She seems to have a lot of good, nutritional know-how. I think she's a nutritional counselor. I'm sure she could steer you in the right direction.

cookworm
06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
You can also try adding some nuts to your diet, as well as avocado (both are high sources of fats), and if you wanted to make fruit smoothies, you can use coconut milk as your base/liquid to make the smoothies--it's non-dairy, and higher in fat. If you like bread accompaniment to your meals, you can try dipping it in olive oil rather than using margarine or butter which will add some fat to your diet too. Good luck!

Kaydee
06-13-2007, 03:38 PM
If I were you I'd try to do this eating as healthy as possible. You don't want to load up on fat and sugar which may help you gain weight but will be bad for your body. Try eating high protien foods such as nuts, beans, meats. Also, try eating whole grains, and maybe starchy veggies like potatoes, corn, or sweet potatoes. Good luck!

GinnyG
06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't know who recommended a high fat diet for you but as a Cardiac Nurse and Diabetic educator I gottas tell you that isn't such a great plan for putting on weight. Skinny people have heart disease too and by eating a high fat diet you are raising both your CHolesterol and triglycerides and increasing your risk of Cardiac Disease down the road.

You want a nutrient dense diet, foods high in caolories but still healthy. That may include foods that are higher in fat such as avacodos and peanut butter but should also include whole grains. Non refined Carbohydrates, whole grains fruits etc. are a great source of calories.

You can also get lactose free low fat protein drinks to boost your calorie intake. PLEASE stay away from bacon and high fat foods, you are setting yourself up for trouble down the road.

Knitting_Guy
06-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Eat a well balanced healthy diet. Eating a lot of fat will eventually kill you.