PDA

View Full Version : Blocking a sweater

willowangel
06-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Okie, so I was bad and changed a pattern slightly. A bit. Well, changed the whole pattern, but anyway -

I liked the shape of a cross-over cardigan, but didn't like the stitch design - it was an entrelac style criss-cross pattern which was pretty but not what I wanted. So I switched it for my favourite stitch pattern, drop-stitch ribbing (wavy ribbing). It had the same number of stitch repeats and row repeats, so figured it would be ok. Only thing is, I know you're not really supposed to block ribbing, so not sure what to do. I'm using Debbie Bliss Stella as the yarn, and it looks beautiful but I don't want to ruin the ribbing.

Any ideas? Hints? Smacks for being so difficult?
Fi xx

Ingrid
06-12-2007, 09:27 PM
If you like it the way it is, why bother to block?:shrug:

redwitch
06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
You can block but it may affect the ribbing. It will stay stretchy as long as you do not block aggressively and stretch it out, then pin it to dry that way. If you don't like the way it had blocked, wet it again and pull/stretch the ribs (gently) vertically, let dry

Silver
06-12-2007, 09:45 PM
You don't have to block it. Ribbing is GREAT for a woman's sweater because it naturally wants to hug curves. It's stretchy and clingy in just the right spots, and I don't really think you would need to block it at all! :)

Big kudos for changing it up and knitting it how YOU wanted it!!

willowangel
06-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Thank you guys for your support :-) I think I'll do it very gently, and only slightly - in the shower room kind of thing - Am so looking forward to wearing it, I have a slightly lumpy hourglass figure, so hoping the ribbing will be nice to it ;-)

Thanks for your advice :-)
Fi xxx