PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Cables Are Cool

Knitting_Guy
06-12-2007, 09:28 PM
As I wanted to learn how to cable I just started making the Irish hiking scarf. I really didn't think doing cables would be that easy.

It's amazing to watch them appear like that. Very cool.

redheadrachel
06-12-2007, 09:31 PM
I totally agree! They look so intimidating and impressive, but they're honestly not too difficult! The Irish Hiking Scarf was my first project, and it's definitely a great first cable project (you get a lot of practice, as I'm sure you're beginning to realize) Congrats on your newfound talent for cables, and keep up your awesome work! :D

Yarn Doc
06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Yay! I love cables too, and I really like the Irish Hiking Scarf. There are great online tutorials for cabling w/o a cable needle, which has a similar "wow" factor.

sue in canada
06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
What a good thing to start cables with. I was intimidated at first but soon realized that cables are really easy. Good luck with the scarf.

Silver
06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
I've always thought of cables as the knitter's secret weapon. They add so much "wow factor" to a pattern but they're so, so easy to knit! :)

Arielluria
06-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Cables are really so easy, and impressive to others. I tried my first on my sampler scarf (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=57723) it's almost addictive. I can't wait to do a fisherman's sweater with tons of them!

Jan in CA
06-12-2007, 10:28 PM
I felt the same way when I learned. I thought they would be so hard and while they look impressive we are the only ones who know how easy they are!

scubasinger
06-12-2007, 11:00 PM
At the moment, I have a different opinion!! I'm making some dress socks with three cables running down the calf. Cables on #0 dpns using a tiny, two-ply sock yarn is NOT for the faint of heart. The danged little tight stitches just LOVE to jump off those needles. The yarn splits 'til you can't tell what's a stitch and what ain't..... (mutter, mutter)

Actually I love the look of cables and normally don't mind them. At the moment though.......

Next time: plain, no frills socks!!!

nadja la claire
06-12-2007, 11:39 PM
I love cables. They're easy and beautiful and everyone thinks they're hard......Oh but I guess everyone else has already said that.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Curly_Toot
06-13-2007, 12:09 AM
I've recently discovered cables too, and everyone is so right!!

I used to think they were.... and i dont want to offend anyone here.... but Grandmotherish :)!!
But dont worry i've come around now and i do like them!!

Braden
06-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I really like cables. And, once you learn a few basic cables, you'll be able to knit very intricate cable patterns.

KnittingNat
06-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Cables rule!!!! They definitely are easy to make and make others say: "Wow, you did that?":rofling:..

debinoz
06-13-2007, 01:18 AM
I still have problems with cables!! I know there is supposed to the that little whole next to the twist, but mine are big enough to drive a mack truck through!!!!

Susan P.
06-13-2007, 02:12 AM
I can only ditto several other comments. They looked complex and scary when I first saw them and then once I got into the rhythm of the patterning I loved it and yes, seeing them appear and twist and grow.

zkimom
06-13-2007, 08:26 AM
At the moment, I have a different opinion!! I'm making some dress socks with three cables running down the calf. Cables on #0 dpns using a tiny, two-ply sock yarn is NOT for the faint of heart. The danged little tight stitches just LOVE to jump off those needles. The yarn splits 'til you can't tell what's a stitch and what ain't..... (mutter, mutter)

Actually I love the look of cables and normally don't mind them. At the moment though.......

Next time: plain, no frills socks!!!

:teehee:

Poor scubasinger! But just think how impressed we all will be when you post pictures of your finished socks!

I'm still getting past how anyone can work with such tiny needles at all!

So far the smallest I've worked on are size 2s.

You don't sound like a plain, no frills socks kind of person. :think: I'm thinking lace socks may be in your future :thumbsup:

zkimom
06-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Yes, cables are cool -- I can't wait to start the Cable Down Raglan from the Spring Interweave Knits magazine. I got a bag of Cascade 220 in a beautiful Sapphire Blue heather waiting to be made into that sweater!

I made many pairs of cabled wrist warmers for Chrismas presents last year. Cables are fun.

Best,
Susan

Lieke
06-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Before I knitted cables (my third sweater was cabled) I always thought they were hard. After 2 sweaters in knit and purl only, I wanted something more difficult, and started making a cabled sweater, assuming it was hard to knit cables. I couldn't have been more wrong. Cables are really easy. They just look hard, which makes them great. Every non-knitter thinks you've made something really difficult, but in fact it was really easy. (after the cables, I tried lace, which was also way easier than I had ever thought)

dakatzmeow
06-13-2007, 08:49 AM
i looooooooooooooves me some cables!

Rorshach
06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Ironically, this turns out to be true for most, if not all of knitting. it looks hard, but it really isn't. I just finished a small project to do Entrelac, as I wanted to find out how to do it, the process of it is long and tedious IMO, but as kellyK likes to state, it's just pulling loops of yarn through other loops of yarn. (okay so i paraphrased it, sue me) This, I think is why so many of us find Knitting to be a addictive habit, (There are others, which I won't get into here.) because it is deceptively hard. And why most knitters hear "I wish I could knit, but it looks so hard" That's my theory anyway.

Kaydee
06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
When I first started knitting I was shopping with a friend who saw a really pretty cabled scarf she wanted to buy but I told her not to because I could make one like it for her. She said "you can make that even with those twisties on it?" "Sure, no problem" I told her (even though I was thinking to myself I'm going to have to head over to KH and watch that video). Anyway to make a long story short she was very impressed that a new knitter could do cables. I too made the Irish Hiking Scarf as my first cable project. They're just so fun and easy to make!

Arielluria
06-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Perhaps we can share some favorite cable patterns. I'm dying to make a purse with some cables in front, maybe some fun fur at the top with a zipper. Anyone have a pattern like that?

Knitting_Guy
06-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Seems I'm not the only cables fan :rofling:

I can see how they would be hard with sock yarn.

Braden
06-13-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm totally up for sharing favorite cable patterns. Since I almost exclusively design my own sweaters, I use stitch dictionaries to find patterns for my sweaters. A few of my favorites are:

- Saxon Braid
- Trible Twist Cable (from the aran sweater I'm knitting now)
- Seed Stitch and Plain Wishbone
- Celtic Knot and Celtic Braid
- Grapes on the Vine (combines cables and bobbles)
- Moss Stitch Diamond
- Horseshoe Cable
- Cable Braid (an allover pattern with no purling on the right side)
- Plait Cable
- A lace and cable combination.

Okay, that's about it. There are many more that I've done, but those are the ones I can name off of the top of my head.

Arielluria
06-13-2007, 05:30 PM
I love the seed stitch (http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=269) too, and it's so simple. I was doing a square in it last night and my mom was so impressed.

:notworthy:I seriously need to talk to you about designing patterns then, I'm trying my hand at my first, for a dog sweater..........I was trying to get mine done by the deadline of the Knitty fall issue, but that's just a couple of days away, I'm not going to make it. :(

Maybe you can start a topic on designing for those of us who want to learn more????

If so, please post link here so I know.

Knitting_Guy
06-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Then you're the person I need to chat with when I am ready to make my own sweater. I haven't found a pattern I really like, but am thinking along the lines of Celtic Braid.

Arielluria
06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I've looked long and hard for a cabled fisherman's sweater for DH which isn't too "fussy". The only one I really like so far is
Men's Pullover Irish Knit (http://www.knitting-crochet.com/menpuloveiriknit.html)
http://www.knitting-crochet.com/images/menpuloveiriknitpic1-1.jpg

Knitting_Guy
06-13-2007, 07:19 PM
That's not bad. Maybe in a nice dark green. An olive maybe?

Quiltlady
06-13-2007, 08:40 PM
I love how cables look. I also thought they would be difficult to do until I saw it demonstrated on the tv show "Knitty Gritty". I was SHOCKED and thrilled at how easy they were.:cheering:

Knitting_Guy
06-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I have to admit I frogged the scarf twice because I was SURE I hadn't done the cables right.

I had. :wall:

boyforpele13
06-13-2007, 11:13 PM
i am readdicted to cables once again, working on the grey cabled vest from men who knit and the dogs who love them, just finished designing a scarf and hat set with cables, and next is this http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/ben/ben.html in KP's merino style. i must say since forcing myself to learn cabling without a needle, i can no longer cable WITH a needle, but keep trying to refresh myself.

JGM
06-13-2007, 11:18 PM
As I wanted to learn how to cable I just started making the Irish hiking scarf. I really didn't think doing cables would be that easy.

It's amazing to watch them appear like that. Very cool.

Cables are my favorite thing to knit and you're right, they are SO easy. My next goal is to figure out how to create a cable chart/pattern.

G J
06-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I've been scared to try cables, but y'all are making it sound like child's play! I'd love to make a top-down raglan turtleneck with cables, but not too many! Anyone have a pattern?

Arielluria
06-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Oh you MUST! Once you do you'll feel you can tackle anything! All it is is every so many rows, basically slipping off say 5 stitches onto a dpn for a few seconds while you knit the next 5 stitches, then knit the ones on the dpn. The only thing to remember is that when you are purling the row just before you are going to do it make sure you make those 5 stitches you are slipping off rather loose.

That's it!

Of course that's just the basic cable which I know, there are tons of others I've seen and haven't tried yet.

ArtLady1981
06-21-2007, 03:20 AM
Yay! I love cables too, and I really like the Irish Hiking Scarf. There are great online tutorials for cabling w/o a cable needle, which has a similar "wow" factor.

I am a vet cabler...and I have tried and tried to do the cable twists without the cable needle. It just slows me down. I went back to the blue metal "sharp-U-turn" shaped cable needle. I can cable lightening fast with it.

By the way, I park it in one cable twist down from where I am working. It is always "waiting" for me....and not down inbetween the cushions of the sofa. :doh:

five_six
06-21-2007, 03:26 AM
and not down inbetween the cushions of the sofa. :doh:

:teehee: like mine always is! That's an excellent idea parking it in another completed cable. I'm always jumping up and going, where did I put that blasted cable, and pulling my chair apart... makes cabling when I'm using the needle very sloooowww going!

G J
06-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Y'all are making me REALLY want to try cables. I just bought yarn for a turtleneck (for next winter, of course), and I'd like to try it with cables. :heart:ANYONE HAVE A PATTERN?:heart:

ironmaiden
06-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Agreed - I was terrified to try cables and shocked at how easy they are. To be honest, I've found that to be the case with almost everything in knitting - things look a lot harder than they are.

ArtLady1981
06-21-2007, 04:31 PM
BTW, being a veteran cabler myself..I can share this one good tip!

When I am knitting a cabled sweater or afghan, etc...I always use pointier needles, such as OPTIONS. It is much easier to knit the two or three stitches off the cable needle especially. The pointier needle tip "grabs" the stitches more accurately. Bulbous needle tips are just a fight fight fight.

Also, if you are having a hard time getting your cable stitches knitted-and-off the needle...maybe you are knitting those 4 or 6 stitches too tight. Maybe they are too tight on the left needle in the first place...so that when you try to work them with the right needle and cable needle...they resist your efforts.

Do you know what I mean? Don't be afraid to let those 4 or 6 cable stitches be a little less tight on the left needle, and ultimately, on the right needle after they are worked.

You should not have to fight those cable stitches.

It makes "life on the row" so much more pleasant! :eyebrow:

Mulderknitter
06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I love this thread! my first try with cables was the Irish hiking scarf too!
I lost my fave cable needle and it just jumped out of the couch cushions the other day, nearly stabbing me. Scared the daylights out of me!:roflhard:

bip
06-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I remember when I taught a friend of mine to do cables. She is very analytical, a Phd research scientist, very practical. Anyway, after a few rows she exclaimed, "This is MAGIC! IT IS MAGIC!"

So, there you have it. Scientifically speaking, cables are magic! :)

bip
06-21-2007, 05:41 PM
By the way, I park it in one cable twist down from where I am working. It is always "waiting" for me....and not down inbetween the cushions of the sofa. :doh:

...Then what do you keep in your mouth?

ironmaiden
06-21-2007, 07:58 PM

:roflhard::rofling::roflhard:

ArtLady1981
06-21-2007, 08:06 PM

Just my drool! :wink: Ever have a 'drip' wanna escape now and again...that ya had to keep sucking back into your mouth whilst holding the dang cable needle? :wall:

Mazie
06-21-2007, 09:00 PM
To make Cables.....

http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2005/11/technickety_how_to_unvent_a_si.html

ArtLady1981
06-21-2007, 09:10 PM
To make Cables.....

http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2005/11/technickety_how_to_unvent_a_si.html

Hi'ya Mazie! Hi'ya Neighbor! (I live in the Puget Sound area just south of the border from you!)

Thanks so much for the GREAT cables link! Very nice indeed! Too way cool!:thumbsup:

Mazie
06-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey Lady, I was born and raised on Whidbey Island. Still have dozens of cousins there.

Knitting_Guy
06-21-2007, 09:32 PM

Now she tells me! :rollseyes:

Last time I was in a hotel I seem to have lost my cable needle in the room. Wouldn't ya know that neither Wal Mart nor Hobby Lobby had any? Been using a DPN but it's kind of awkward. I miss my cable needle. Guess I'll order a new one from KnitPicks.

suzeeq
06-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Ooooh too bad HL was out; must be because of their half off needles and accessories this week. I saw a pack of 3, one was a large J, the others had the V in them... Want me to check and buy a set for you?

sue

ArtLady1981
06-22-2007, 04:35 AM
Now she tells me! :rollseyes:

Last time I was in a hotel I seem to have lost my cable needle in the room. Wouldn't ya know that neither Wal Mart nor Hobby Lobby had any? Been using a DPN but it's kind of awkward. I miss my cable needle. Guess I'll order a new one from KnitPicks.

When I am working a cable project away from home, I always take 2 "spares". :shrug: Call me paranoid! I feel your pain at losing that cable needle! A dpn just ain't the same.

five_six
06-22-2007, 04:51 AM
Hmmm... I've never used the notched cable needles, only the straights so I sometimes sub a dpn and haven't found much difference :shrug: Mind you at the moment, I'm doing huge cables on US 35's, and they are a little too big to do without a needle (as is my usual want), and a cable needle is just too small, slips right on out, so I'm using bamboo chopsticks as my cable needle.

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Ooooh too bad HL was out; must be because of their half off needles and accessories this week. I saw a pack of 3, one was a large J, the others had the V in them... Want me to check and buy a set for you?

sue

I appreciate it but I'll be placing a KP order soon anyway, and think I'll just order all three from them.

Knitting_Guy
06-22-2007, 08:32 AM
so I'm using bamboo chopsticks as my cable needle.

Clever

KnittingNat
06-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Hmmm... I've never used the notched cable needles, only the straights so I sometimes sub a dpn and haven't found much difference :shrug: Mind you at the moment, I'm doing huge cables on US 35's, and they are a little too big to do without a needle (as is my usual want), and a cable needle is just too small, slips right on out, so I'm using bamboo chopsticks as my cable needle.
I don't have a cable needle either, i just use stitch holder.

brownishcoat
06-22-2007, 09:43 AM
I use an Options tip as a cable needle.

G J
06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
This thread is making me SO EXCITED to learn cables!! And BTW, I'm in Gig Harbor right now, visiting my parents on Horsehead bay. I feel like I'm neighbors to some of you for a little while!

Arielluria
06-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Lily Chin wore a beautiful cabled sweater on Knitty Gritty which had beads inside each cable. I loved that!

itsjustmeghan
06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
so i'm working on a project where i'm doing cables. and while i love the effect of cables, i hate moving stitches onto the cable needle, and then doing that whole process, but i can't seem to get the no cable needle thing to work for this 6 stitch cable...

so how do you make cabling FAST and FUN? because, i just see it all as tedious right now....gratifying once it's done, but tedious....:shrug:

redwitch
06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Try knitting looser... on a 6 st cable the no needle method might be tricky/tight, try knitting those 6 bery loosely on the row before you cross them. A paper clip makes a great cable needle, except you'd have to slip the stitches back before knitting them. More like a stitch holder... make it straight or half bent to your taste!

ArtLady1981
06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Ooooooooooohhhhhh! A sweater with pearls or beads embedded in the cables????!!!!!! Man o man....now my creative juices are flowing!

Hmmm, do I just go to knittygritty.com and hunt for the photo of Lily Chin wearing such a creation?

I know how to knit with beads. Have to string them onto the yarn ahead of time...then pull a bead up to the stitch when you want to embed it.

Never thought of accenting a cable with pearls. I envision a creamy white sweater embedded with creamy white "pearls". Or, a Wedgewood Blue sweater embedded with crystal-like beads!

Well, let me quit...and migrate over to knittygritty.com

See ya later! :waving: Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

ironmaiden
06-27-2007, 08:18 AM
I think you have to go to diynetwork.com, then click Shows in the upper right hand corner of the page, THEN click Knitty Gritty, then find the episode you are looking for on the list. However, I don't know if the show as about that sweater so that might not even help.

I think DIY needs a serious site cleanup - it's annoying to navigate.

Arielluria
06-27-2007, 10:42 AM
It was a light purple sweater with similar colored beads. It was the show where she shows the 2 ways to knit with beads (either pre-strung or adding to a knit stitch with small crochet needle before knitting it.

I searched for a picture but couldn't find it. Can anyone else? If so, please post a picture so I can save it?

Ooooooooooohhhhhh! A sweater with pearls or beads embedded in the cables????!!!!!! Man o man....now my creative juices are flowing!

Hmmm, do I just go to knittygritty.com and hunt for the photo of Lily Chin wearing such a creation?

IBAmyB
06-27-2007, 03:00 PM
I just found the pattern for the Irish Hiking Scarf... as I am a new knitter, I think this one will be great one to try for my first cable project.... :thumbsup:

Now to find the right yarn. Too bad all I have locally is Wal-Mart and its sad selection... :cry:.... though I did find a $50 gift card I forgotten about :cheering:

Amy :)

Arielluria
06-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Did you join the Irish Hiking Scarf KA blog (http://irishhikingknitalong.blogspot.com/)? I did yesterday. I thought I might use some Caron Simply Soft, I think you can get that at Walmart.

ArtLady1981
06-28-2007, 02:49 AM
I think you have to go to diynetwork.com, then click Shows in the upper right hand corner of the page, THEN click Knitty Gritty, then find the episode you are looking for on the list. However, I don't know if the show as about that sweater so that might not even help.

I think DIY needs a serious site cleanup - it's annoying to navigate.

Hi'ya ironmaiden! :waving: I agree. DIY is seriously cluttered. It has a lot of neat information, however, if you are looking for something specific, forget it. I finally gave up :shrug:trying to find that Lily Chin cabled sweater with beads embedded. If someone just wants to browse around DIY and bookmark favorite pages...fine. Otherwise, it reminds me of what my house would look like after an small earthquake...everything is still in the room, just all mixed up in a big heap! :pout:

Mulderknitter
06-28-2007, 08:52 AM
I used Caron's simply soft and it knit up very nicely. I suggest 2 skeins though, one was a bit short for a scarf since the cables take up a lot of the yarn.

Arielluria
06-28-2007, 10:11 AM
RE the Lily Chin Sweater, my mom taped the show for me and I was putting the VHS shows onto DVD the other day which is when I saw it. I will put the DVD into my puter and try to get a screenshot for y'all. ;)

ArtLady1981
06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I used Caron's simply soft and it knit up very nicely. I suggest 2 skeins though, one was a bit short for a scarf since the cables take up a lot of the yarn.

Yes I agree with Mulder! I have used Caron's Simply Soft numerous times, and it knits nicely and it has a nice drape. Very soft, too. A pleasure to work with.

Arielluria
06-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I agree. Like it very much myself. It's almost downright SILKY.

mel.b
06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
I just found the pattern for the Irish Hiking Scarf... as I am a new knitter, I think this one will be great one to try for my first cable project.... :thumbsup:

Amy :)

Hi Amy,

I'm new to 'fancy' knitting too and just started the Irish hiking scarf last night. It is soooo easy and looks fantastic! I'm at work at the moment and all I want to do is go home and work on my scarf:roflhard:
I got some chunky Malabrigo in pink frost for my scarf and it is divine:heart:

I'm going to join the KAL blog for it too after I take a couple of pictures of it.

Have fun!
Mel.b

gamerchik
06-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Okay, you've all convinced me to try the hiking scarf. It will be my first project with cables and I'm excited. I just bought yarn for it and a cable needle. I hope it's as easy as you all say it is!!! :happydance:

wends
06-29-2007, 11:16 AM
The Irish Hiking Scarf was my first attempt at cabling and I loved it and so did the recipient. Cabling is great.

mari_13
06-29-2007, 12:56 PM
The Irish Hiking Scarf was also my first cable project. I really enjoyed it! I haven't tried to many variations of cabling but love it!

Arielluria
07-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Just got an e-newsletter from Elann........check out page 3 (lower right pic (http://www.elann.com/elannnews/elannnewsjuly2007.pdf)) for a Vogue Knitting's Cabled Twist Top (Spring/Summer 2007)..........suitable for this thread or the Summer Top KA thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=58785).

It's a simple top with a cable going across the top horizontally. Gorgeous!

:muah:

ArtLady1981
07-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi'yall! :waving:

The most common mistake in cable knitting is this:
You hold the stitches to the FRONT when you should hold them to the BACK....

OR...

You hold the stitches to the BACK when you should hold them to the FRONT!

As you get rollin' along....you may get too relaxed....and that is when a mis-crossed cable jumps up to bite ya' in the...:pout:.

It is good to always "eyeball" your row before working the wrong side.

Easier to tink back to the mis-crossed cable...than to go off to the FROG POND :frog:by dozens of rows!! Or worse, leave the error sitting there. Aaarrrfffo-baarrfffo! :hair:

Arielluria
07-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Have you seen this week's Lion Brand stitch of the week? It's called Firefly (http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=309).
http://cache.lionbrand.com/graphics/stitchFinder/firefly.jpg

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Have you seen this week's Lion Brand stitch of the week? It's called Firefly (http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=309).
http://cache.lionbrand.com/graphics/stitchFinder/firefly.jpg

THANKS :thumbsup: for sharing the great link! I really like the soft flowiness of this cable pattern! I think it would be easy to incorporate into any otherwise plain pattern! Nice scarf, too. Oh no...now my juices are flowing again! I must keep my nose to the business of my current WIP's...two more of which I started and have almost finished whilst on the July wilderness vacation. Will post photos tomorrow.

panchita
07-24-2007, 11:32 AM
My first cabling project was just a little cell phone cozy/case. I wanted to try cables on something small, so I made up the pattern myself and knit it to fit my 6 year old phone... ancient! I chose to make it in some "manly" gray/camel heather yarn instead of my preferred hot pink with wild eyelash yarn so that: a) the very cool cables would show; and b)my DBF would use it. I added a little button hole and used a bead to close it.

No scarf for me, but a very cozy cell phone.

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 02:07 PM
My first cabling project was just a little cell phone cozy/case. I wanted to try cables on something small, so I made up the pattern myself and knit it to fit my 6 year old phone... ancient! I chose to make it in some "manly" gray/camel heather yarn instead of my preferred hot pink with wild eyelash yarn so that: a) the very cool cables would show; and b)my DBF would use it. I added a little button hole and used a bead to close it.

No scarf for me, but a very cozy cell phone.

Hi Panchita! :waving:

That is a good start for a cable project! Cell phone covers! How cool! Do you have access to a digital camera? Can you post photos for us!? We would love to see your phone cozy! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

panchita
07-24-2007, 10:48 PM

That is a good start for a cable project! Cell phone covers! How cool! Do you have access to a digital camera? Can you post photos for us!? We would love to see your phone cozy! Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Thanks for asking, ArtLady! :blush:

I had to wait for my boyfriend to come home with the phone (and the cozy).

It's k4, p3, k10 (5 for each "ply" of the cable), p3, k4 in a long skinny rectangle with decreased and a reinforced yarnover buttonhole, then whipstitched up the sides (inside out, of course). I used a bead to keep it closed.

I was really excited to do it... I NEVER would've tried it if I hadn't watched it on Knitty Gritty so many times. If I were to make it again, I'd do it a little snugger, to hug the phone a little tighter. Here are some pics:

ArtLady1981
07-24-2007, 11:02 PM

:heart::heart::heart: I LOVE IT! :heart::heart::heart:

Now I wonder why I haven't done the same thing??? I got the new CHERRY CHOCOLATE from Verizon...and the cellphone cover for it is USELESS! When the phone rings, you can't pull it out of the cover fast enough to answer it!
And you can answer it with the cover on...unless you are in bluetooth mode. :pout: Sometimes I am not prepared with the bluetooth turned on...and the earpiece in place! :pout:

panchita
07-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm so glad you like it! :)

If you want to pull it out fast, keep the cozy a little loose. I'm not sure how knitting can help you be more prepared with the bluetooth, but if there's a way, I'm sure you'll find it!

Arielluria
07-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Loooooove that phone caddy! GOTTA make one!
:muah:

Arielluria
07-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Here's another NIIIIIICE one, Vogue Knitting "Flirtation" (http://www.vogueknitting.com/vkm/?q=node/259)
http://www.vogueknitting.com/vkm/images/howto/stitchlibrary/cables/stitch2_64.jpg

Arielluria
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Have you seen this week's Lion Brand stitch? It's a cable called Hugs & Kisses (http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=312)
http://cache.lionbrand.com/graphics/stitchFinder/hugsAndKisses.jpg

mulene
08-10-2007, 05:44 PM
[quote=Arielluria;930977]Have you seen this week's Lion Brand stitch? It's a cable called Hugs & Kisses (http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=312)]

I saw this too - I thought it would make a fabulous scarf =D

ADAllen
08-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Have you seen this week's Lion Brand stitch? It's a cable called Hugs & Kisses (http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=312)
http://cache.lionbrand.com/graphics/stitchFinder/hugsAndKisses.jpg
That is fantastic! My grandmother always signs my cards with XXXOOO I must make her something with this.