PDA

View Full Version : Please! It's just because I LOVE KH!

Silver
06-12-2007, 09:59 PM
This is a public plea for a totally OT forum. Amy, I asked you long ago when I was a mod, and was politely turned down. (Don't worry, I still love you anyway!) But because I'm hard headed and determined, I'm asking again... and asking for backup.

I would love an off topic forum. A casual chit-chat kinda forum for us KH lovers who have something to discuss that's not knitting related. I admit, I come here first when I need input from my online friends. Even before my own blog! I come here for OT because I love how no one here is catty, snotty or rude. I love KH because everyone is helpful and always willing to lend an ear or offer advice. I don't know of ANY other forum anywhere with such a pleasant atmosphere. Honestly. I love KH so much for this reason. So this is where I come for OT discussions.

But, I admit, I feel weird about posting OT topics in a knitting forum. I feel like I'm invading the knitter's place with my off topic subjects and sometimes I just don't post because I don't want to be constantly posting OT topics.

Amy, if we had our own forum for OT, we wouldn't feel awkward posting our OT topics and those who don't like OT, wouldn't have to weed through them for the knitting topics. (I say WE with the assumption that I'm not alone here, but ok, maybe I am. And if so, just ignore me and pretend I'm not being a total disruption.)

Don't get me wrong, I like all the forums here at KH, but I just wish we had one more. A casual off topic forum for everything else.

Anyone with me?

bellium
06-12-2007, 10:15 PM
i voted 'yes' to an OT section for the forum - knitting is what connects us all here at KH, but there is a world outside knitting! it would be fun to find out what else we all have in common, and an OT section would be great for that!

Jan in CA
06-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't think we need another forum, but maybe that's just me. If you get too many it gets to be a pain like at knitter's review. Ugh.

Lighting57
06-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree with Silver. I like to read the OT as well as the knitted related post, but I would perfer not to have to sort through the one to read the other.

BinkyKat
06-12-2007, 10:38 PM
:thumbsup:I'm ok with another OT forum. I understand that too many kind of skews the homey ness, but a spinning and knitter's knear you and such have been added. I love the chit chat and although I do actually knit, I am totally lame about posting pics and such. I love to add to people blogs *I give less attention to my own:teehee:* and to the OT threads. I don't feel it will detract. We all do pretty well in how we address the OT stuff so I don't feel it would get out of hand

Silver
06-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't think we need another forum, but maybe that's just me. If you get too many it gets to be a pain like at knitter's review. Ugh.
Yeah, that's what Amy said when I first asked her. But... um... not to be a pain, but since I asked the first time, there are 4 new forums (Knit-Alongs, Charity Knitting, Knitters Knear You and Creating Yarn). They're all great, but there's still no OT forum. :pout:

Just one more itsy bitsy little forum?

beckyrhae
06-12-2007, 10:47 PM
If those sad eyes dont get it for you Silver... I dont know that anything will .. :teehee:

zip
06-12-2007, 11:03 PM
awwwww... I love Puss 'n Boots. I'll vote yes.

The Kno-Knit Zone?

Jan in CA
06-12-2007, 11:04 PM
You're right, we do have new forums, but the new ones (and most of the old ones) all pertain to some aspect of knitting. That leaves the General Forum, Buy/Sell/Swap and the Blogs.

Basically the General Forum IS an OT+ forum, it's just not labeled that way in the title. People do ask questions there and we often move them to the correct forums. I don't think another OT forum would really serve any purpose since a good many of the posts are already OT in the General Forum. Don't you think that if we had an OT forum that you'd get knitting questions in there which would really make it like the General Forum we have now? :shrug:

All this being said I am not the final say here, it's Amy. I've alerted her so we'll see what happens.

BinkyKat
06-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Glad you didn't use the donkey one. :teehee:
He tries the look in Shrek 3 and it's pitiful, not in a good way:roflhard:

Braden
06-12-2007, 11:55 PM

My word's exactly. But, I do see how an OT forum would be appealing, but this is a nice, cozy place as it is, and like Amy always says, more forums just make the members feel scattered, like where the new members are in one forum, and the old members are in another forum.

Susan P.
06-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Ooookkkk..my two penny worth.

I think what is here is reasonable as it stands for OT however, I DO understand the thrust of the request BUT..but..there is always a trade off for anything that opens doors. Let's put it another way, in the time I've been on this forum I've seen very minimal bad blood or problematic comments however, when you really open a forum up it paves the way for all manner of topics and comments. Problems can, oddly, arise from over familiarity amongst some also. (An odd comment but I've been around net forums a lot of years). I guess I'm thinking of mod workload in overseeing what's going on.

The mods do a great job here and are wonderful, as posters are, in advising on knitting issues sooooo..I would prefer that remained the thrust of their tasks here with just a little roll over into OT.

It would be easy for me to fence sit but..if I HAD to vote..I'd vote no and wait for the rotten tomatoes to hit me..arrgggghhh..not when I'm carrying my yarn!!

Aren't there a couple of forums here to post OT on..OR..or..could you develop an OT forum and just ask Amy etc to allow it to link from here??

brendajos
06-13-2007, 12:16 AM
When this has come up before, I said no but I have been swayed. Honestly, there is so much OT stuff on the general forum now I find it somewhat frustrating to weed through. I have posted them and partake in them but still find it frustrating none-the-less. I don't read the blog threads unless someone directs me there because they are far too overwhelming and I am starting to feel this way about the general forum. I find myself coming in less often these days because of it.

I don't mind the conversations.... I love the conversations. However, sometimes I just want to come and talk about knitting without the work (yeah... scanning is hard work for me! ;) )

Braden
06-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Brenda, you have a great point! That would be a great reason for a new forum, but, this is a great place as it is.

brendajos
06-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Let me just say, though, I wouldn't EVER want it to get to the point where people were sniping at someone who posted on the "incorrect" forum. I don't think we have the people who would do that here but I just wanted to be clear that I wasn't wanting something heavily policed. But if it became one of those threads that was on the "incorrect" (sorry using it for lack of a better word in my sleepy state right now) forum that got to be several pages long, then maybe it could be moved. Just an example.

Braden
06-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Exactly, on Knitter's Review, someone (a new member) was reprimanded by every other member for posting in the wrong board, then told them to remove the post and repost it in the "correct" board. I personally don't think KH will ever become like that, but...

debinoz
06-13-2007, 12:51 AM
The main reason I come to the General knitting forum is to read the OT threads. I usually only read the knitting related ones if they sound interesting. You guys are just about my only non-family adult contact, ya know!! (Can you say, "Big-time hermit?")

HamburgKnitter
06-13-2007, 02:18 AM
I help run a small cat forum, and the OT forum is definitely the most popular one. People go there to talk and read about cats, but we talk about absolutely everything in the OT forum and it's alot of fun. I would enjoy that here as well. And the general forum here is most definitely bursting at the seams. Sometimes I find a thread interesting and come back the next day to catch up on it and it has long been pushed to page 2 or even 3.

And I'd like to add that Amy and Sheldon and all the mods do a fantastic job. :muah:

catownedanna
06-13-2007, 05:56 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag brukar inte rŲsta" = "I don't usually vote"
_____

I don't usually vote in these polls but I felt I had to in this one. The question on opening a separate forum for OT has been asked before (and not just by Silver) and I've been one in the no-crowd, thinking of how easy it is to loose the "overview" of a forum if it has too many different sections.

But I have, just as Brenda, swayed. When I started coming on KH, I always went to General Forum first. Then I might have ventured to the other sections if I had time. Now, I hardly ever go to the General Forum and I rarely post anything here either. It's just too overwhelming with all these different OT-threads...

I honestly don't really care about the pregnancies (unless it belongs to someone I talk to on a regular basis and consider my friend), the different TV shows, or the diets, or the troublesome kids... :shrug: I do care about the knitting books, the fun links that lead to something related to knitting, talk about knitting classes and workshops, peoples' experiences while KIP, yarn sales, and so on...

As it is now, I find that I have a hard time finding these threads quickly. And if I want to return to a thread two or three days later, I might have to scroll through several pages before finding it as a result of maaaany OT-postings.

Just my 2 cents... :shrug:

zkimom
06-13-2007, 07:35 AM
I voted no (sorry, Kristin!). First of all, I probably wouldn't make it over to an OT Forum very often. I only read the OT stuff cause it's right in front of me in the General folder, I wouldn't search it out. And like with the knitting related posts, I'm selective about what I read.

Second, I counted posts and out of the first 50 posts, only 10 were OT and even some of them were kinda sorta knitting related.
I don't think I've ever come to this forum and felt bogged down by the OT posts.

In my opinion the General Folder is the gateway that I browse through first, kinda like a big room where everyone can gather and chat for a bit before breaking off into their more specific groups like patterns, help wanted and the others. I can get a feel for what's going on with everyone in the General folder without having to go somewhere else specific to find out how everyone's doing.

Then, when I want to focus on just knitting related stuff, I start reading the more specific folders.

Just my .02

Best,
Susan

Ingrid
06-13-2007, 07:58 AM
I have to say no, also. I've seen other forums grow huge--OT, TMI, religion, etc.

As much as I am here, I still don't have time to keep up with the Blogs. If we had yet another . . .

iza
06-13-2007, 09:00 AM
I honestly do not know what to say on that one. I understand Silver's request - sometimes the number of OT threads makes it difficult to see the "knitting-related" stuff. But I understand too that having yet another forum can make it difficult to keep track of what's going on.

I think if there was an OT forum, perhaps only the people interested in OT subjects would participate in it, leaving the general knitting section to those who are here only for... knitting-related stuff. It's not unfair, as the only thing required from people who want to see OT subjects is to click on "OT forum" instead of "General knitting".

However, I am a bit afraid that an OT forum could lead to more "controversial" subjects. Maybe the fact that the OT subjects are in the general knitting sections are forcing people to be careful in what they post, and be respectful in their comments. I have a feeling that in a dedicated OT forum, people might feel more "free" to post about more subjects, like politics, religion, etc.? :shrug: I LOVE discussing these things, but considering the range of political opinions/religions/countries/cultures we have here, it might not be a good idea.

I think I still have to think about it.:??

Mulderknitter
06-13-2007, 09:08 AM
I have to say i agree with Iza. i was in a forum a while back that ended up getting too ot for me. I like how we keep out ot's here to a nice vibe (does that make sense?) and don't get tooo out there. I would hate to have an ot forum that ended up having topic discussions that are better left to a different forum all together

mwedzi
06-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I voted yes. Like Brenda, I don't like to weed through all the personal business. And like our Swedish poster, I usually don't care about the day to day life of everyone here. Maybe it sounds cold, but usually when I come here I just want to read knitting stuff. On occasion I might be up for other stuff, and so about once a month I go to the blogs forum or on other forums I chat on once every week or so I go to their OT forums.

I do wonder if creating an OT forum might make things a bit more hostile. But the truth is that even here in a couple of OT posts, though things weren't getting hostile, I'll admit that my view of other people on the boards changed for the worse, and I still found myself getting upset over political and social issues on this *knitting* forum. But if there wasn't going to be one, I'd wish the OT posts were kept to a real minimum, and I will make the effort towards that as well. They have definitely increased in the percentage they take up on the main board from a year ago.

BostonBecca
06-13-2007, 09:20 AM
I always thought the General Knitting forum was for general knitting comments and questions, and the OT posts were out of place. I do read and occasionally respond to the OT posts with titles that interest me enough to check them out, but when the majority of the first page of the general KNITTING section of the forum is filled up with OT posts it kinda irks me a little because I am trying to read about knitting issues. If someone posts a general knitting question there and I can't help and I see the post getting moved back to the second page (no man's land in a forum) by OT posts, I feel kinda bad for them, because they came to the right place for help and are less likely to get it.

Ronda
06-13-2007, 09:35 AM
FWIW, I'll throw in my opinion. I understand what everyone is saying on both sides. I did, however, vote for an OT forum simply because I have never felt comfortable posting anything on this site unless it was knitting related. I, too, don't have time to read the blogs on this site - they are sooooooooooooo long - but I do have an interest in "connecting" with other knitters through non-knitting topics (did that make sense?). I read the OT posts and sometimes respond, but I don't feel comfortable starting an OT thread. I've been here over a year now, and I'm not someone who posts a lot, though. I just read, read, read and admire everyone's talents. :)

Brandilyne
06-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, I've only been a member here for a few months, but I read the board allllll the time :) I've often wished in my mind for an OT forum, as all of the other boards I read (not knitting related) have an OT area. I absolutely see both sides of the issue.

For me, I prefer to have an OT area so I can come into the General Knitting topic and read about new types of yarn, someone's first visit to a LYS, a cool KIP experience, a SALE :wink: or a discussion of why we love to knit! I would go to an OT thread, however, to read about the latest tv shows, a request for a helpful household hint, a personal situation or book/movie recommendations.

I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds as a rather new member here. I really enjoy the KH community! :woot:

Rorshach
06-13-2007, 09:49 AM
I voted for the OT forum. Primarily because KH is just one huge knitting circle anyway, we all have things that are non-craft related to talk about, and in a circle I would expect it to be free and open as it is. Although I can see both sides, perhaps a change in the General knitting title would be a better option. As far as administration goes, which would be easier, adding a new forum, or keeping it the way it is? Mind you that's after all the moving and what not.

marykz
06-13-2007, 09:59 AM
I voted for an OT, b/c the title of the general knitting forum says "occasional OT"... Rorshach's idea of changing the title is a good one IMHO. I'd suggest remove the "occasional" part... I'd hate for this wonderful board turn into a "you can't post that here" kind of place.

OT's have really grown. sometimes I'm in the mood to look, sometimes I'm not. But, I can always exercise my choice and not look. I'd rather do that than make someone feel like they shouldn't post.....

just my 5 cents worth! (inflation, ya know)

Sanibelle
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
I voted yes too. SOmetimes I love to read about everyone else's life but a lot of times I just want to read about knitting. It seems lately that there are so many OT threads and it is rally hard to find the knitting ones.

Thanks so much for listening to us and whatever you decide I still love this place :)

figaro
06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Here is my little tidbit on this subject. I voted yes to a OT forum because like the others, there are times that I would rather see all knitting related posts and there seems to be quite a few OT posts. And I do like to read them, this is the first site I visit and most of the time it is the last. I love reading about non-related knitting subjects as much as the knitting related ones. I also think that the people who are members here would not get too much into controversial subjects in a OT forum, there have been times when different opinions have been said but I do not think that they were said with malicious intent. People here love to come here and they respect the site enough to say their thoughts and opinions while respecting each other.

pvsduck
06-13-2007, 11:22 AM
One of the things I like about this site is that you are allowed to make off topic posts. Most people are good about putting OT at the beginning of the title, so it's easy to skip the off topic posts if you don't want to read them. I don't mind them being in the General Forum.

Orangeus
06-13-2007, 01:04 PM
I think an OT thread might work, as long as things didn't get out of control. Now, most of the other message boards I lurk at are about more hostile topics already than knitting (a car show, and webcomics are the two big ones), and there are mass amounts of those people who argue about everything for fun; those people don't bother coming here, as far as I can tell.

One of the boards, using the same forum system as KH, has 'subtopics' to the more popular sections. Like their OT thread has a political subtopic as well as a 'games' one (you know, like those 'beat the weird internet picture the person above you posted with an even weirder one').
I'd think doing something like that might work out better than creating a whole new forum, and might even keep it from getting hugely out of hand, because people would have to go through General Knitting first, to get to it.

I agree with others though, in that I don't really have any intention of using an OT forum myself, but I do agree that sometimes the topics are fun to read, or tells me something important (like all those food/product recall threads...)

What about a trial-period, where the forum will remain open, so long as everyone behaves themselves?

Braden
06-13-2007, 01:24 PM
As much as I am here, I still don't have time to keep up with the Blogs. If we had yet another . . .

Again, my thoughts exactly. I think that KH should be a nice, cozy place, and with many forums, we wouldn't get that. Plus, with fewer moderators around, that just about doubles their workload, so I had to vote no.

kemp
06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
I honestly do not know what to say on that one. I understand Silver's request - sometimes the number of OT threads makes it difficult to see the "knitting-related" stuff. But I understand too that having yet another forum can make it difficult to keep track of what's going on.

I think if there was an OT forum, perhaps only the people interested in OT subjects would participate in it, leaving the general knitting section to those who are here only for... knitting-related stuff. It's not unfair, as the only thing required from people who want to see OT subjects is to click on "OT forum" instead of "General knitting".

However, I am a bit afraid that an OT forum could lead to more "controversial" subjects. Maybe the fact that the OT subjects are in the general knitting sections are forcing people to be careful in what they post, and be respectful in their comments. I have a feeling that in a dedicated OT forum, people might feel more "free" to post about more subjects, like politics, religion, etc.? :shrug: I LOVE discussing these things, but considering the range of political opinions/religions/countries/cultures we have here, it might not be a good idea.

I think I still have to think about it.:??

I think this is an excellent point...maybe the lack of an OT forum and being somewhat "forced" to be respectful is what makes KH such a fabulous, friendly place in comparison to other forums?????

Also what about the chat room for ot subjects?

Knitting_Guy
06-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Ok, I'll admit I was too lazy to read through all of the replies but wanted to put my own two cents in.

I kinda thought the General forum was basically for OT type posts as well as casual knit conversation. Another OT forum would be a bit redundant IMHO.

Maybe I was wrong?

Jan in CA
06-13-2007, 06:35 PM
I kinda thought the General forum was basically for OT type posts as well as casual knit conversation. Another OT forum would be a bit redundant IMHO.

You aren't wrong. At least 40 of us agree. :teehee:

auburnchick
06-13-2007, 06:57 PM
The main reason I come to the General knitting forum is to read the OT threads. I usually only read the knitting related ones if they sound interesting. You guys are just about my only non-family adult contact, ya know!! (Can you say, "Big-time hermit?")

I've got to say that this is exactly how I feel, even though I voted no to this poll. I hate to miss things, and I would be afraid to miss something if I had to check another forum.

Such a tough question. Everyone has valid points...

SandraEllen
06-13-2007, 08:37 PM
hmm... I'm so torn. Sometimes I really enjoy reading the OT stuff and sometimes I really just skim over everything that isn't knitting related...

but since the newest forums were added, I find myself just skipping over a bunch of them and ignoring them completely. I don't know... I'm just not interested in some of them. :shrug: The longer the list gets, the more i find myself just sitting in the general knitting area.

stitchwitch
06-13-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm pretty sure after reading some of the replies that I'm never going to post another off topic thread in here again. :doh:

Knitting_Guy
06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty sure after reading some of the replies that I'm never going to post another off topic thread in here again. :doh:

I don't think anyone is trying to get to that point. I personally enjoy the OT posts.

Ingrid
06-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Oh, no! Nobody is saying that there shouldn't be OT posts!! It's just a question of where they should be. I personally thing 'General' covers it.:shrug: We've all gotten and given useful information in OT posts, so there is NO reason to stop them.

geekgolightly
06-14-2007, 12:17 AM
the very fact that we have to title posts that are other than knitting as OFF TOPIC gives me the feeling that it's veering away from the use of the forum and i should limit those. in fact, i don't think i've posted one bc i feel insecure about it.

there should be a general forum for conversations. one in which we don't have to title the threads about personal issues or ideas other than knitting as "off topic"

Braden
06-14-2007, 12:20 AM
The general forum is great for OT, they make up about half of the posts. I personally don't really see the need for one, but I see the point of view of those who do want one, but I think Amy wants to maintain a small, cozy forum. A lot of forums (e.g. Knitter's Review) make a complete mess of things. (this is all my opinion, of course) In those forums, the members are so scattered... I think that KnittingHelp is just fine the way it is, plus there are many forums to keep up with as it is, plus, as I've said before, it would double the moderators' workloads, and I personally think they have enough to do as it is.

Again, nobody should ever feel rebuffed for posting an OT topic, most of us really like reading them, and I personally think they add a bit of interest to the general forum.

That's all my opinion, but I could be wrong :shrug:

kellyh57
06-14-2007, 12:41 AM
I think there are enough forums as it is. I keep forgetting that there is a Knitters Knear You and never check it. It seems we keep adding forums and I think they get forgotten among the mix.

Another board I read, very similar to the old layout here, started an off-topic forum. It went nuts. They play games in there all the time and get hundreds of pages (yes PAGES) of replies. That's just silly. If you want to play games, go to a games site! They are so darn off topic, that even if you wanted to post something worthwhile, it would get lost in the mix and nobody would ever see it anyway!

I probably wouldn't check an off topic forum and I think there are a bunch of users that wouldn't either. I'd rather just keep OT posts to a minimum and keep them here.

leedsfan
06-14-2007, 04:37 AM
I also voted yes as well

BostonBecca
06-14-2007, 09:30 AM
The problem for me is that Off-Topic Posts have not been kept to a minimum. Anyone who relies on that fact to argue against an off topic forum is relying on an invalid underlying fact in my opinion. The reason I voted yes yesterday was because about half of the posts were off topic on the first page of this forum. That is way too many off topic posts for me to even want to visit this forum. Today, it is not so bad, probably due to this post and people not posting as many off topic posts that are just those silly things that one might find amusing on the internet but don't need an answer about. I understand posting about major issues, etc., here in the forum, they have opened up discussion that has touched a lot of people. I understand the post about what to do about those potentially child abusing neighbors, but some of the stuff can just be superfluous and keep actual knitting related questions or statements from being noticed or answered.

That's why I tend to only post about knitting in the other forums.

Also, I don't see where someone gets the idea that an OT forum will double the moderators workload. That just is unsubtantiated assertion. There would be another forum, and people might post more in it about OT topics than they currently do here, but there is no indication that it would DOUBLE the entire number of posts on KH.

I think too many forums is not a good thing, but that this place needs an OT forum or people could be a little more judicious in what they post about off-topic.

This isn't intended to offend anyone, or get anyone on the defensive, I just like facts to stand behind lines of argument. The above is also just my opinion about off topic posts, if you disagree, say so!

Silver
06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
If the General Knitting forum is FOR OT posts, why are we supposed to label them as "OT"? And why does the description say "occasional OT"?

Clearly it is NOT intended as a free off topic forum where we can feel free to post all the OT topics we want. We have to first warn you that we're going to say something not knitting related, and we also feel as if we do not have the right to post as many OT topics as we'd like.

I feel as if those of use who do enjoy OT posts are only allowed a small corner of the room to do our non-knitting talking. And we have to keep it down so we don't irritate the "serious" knitters. And we have to warn everyone that we're about to go "OFF TOPIC" here.

Ok fine. If the mods don't feel it's important or necessary, it's not going to happen. But you should know that there are A LOT of people who feel otherwise. It honestly does affect how I feel about posting anything here at KH. I feel like I can post all the sock info I want, all the help with knitting I want, all the questions about yarn and fiber, but I really shouldn't go bothering anyone with my question about my nails. And if I do, I have to warn you first (ahem OT here!! I'm gonna talk about something not related to knitting!)

Look, I am sorry if I'm rocking the boat. I really don't mean to ruffle feathers or start a scene. I'll step down off my soapbox now.

figaro
06-14-2007, 10:57 AM
People referred to this site becoming something like Knitters Review so I went over there and checked it out. WOW! Way too many boards over there, right now this has 10 and KR has over 100! I don't really think that adding a OT board is going to make this one into another KR type site. I mean they have boards for EVERYTHING! (too much in my opinion) There is a board for the Ideal Knitting bag, Celebrate your stars (this one has to do with how many stars the members have regarding their posts?!), Favorite designers to Poll feedback. I think that the amount of boards they have is WAY over the top. And I think that if a OT forum is added here, it will add to the site and not in a bad way. It will give members a chance to post a OT subject and not feel guilty when they need a opinion. KR does have a OT area with 4 forums, one for entertainment type, family/personal type, business type and political. The family forum has the most posts there.

So that is a little more of my 2 cents worth....my vote is yes.

bailsmom
06-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I think it should stay the way it is. I like having the ability to post an OT question and get different opinions on things. This is a knitting community. But just like in life, there are other things going on in our lives that require help. And like a lot of you, I trust what the people on this board say. I think it's a nice and even number of knitting questions and OT questions.

I like having the ability to share things going on in my life with all of you, but if it got moved to another board, well, I don't think I'd get as many responses. That may be selfish of me, but I don't have many people in my life I can talk too and having this board is a real God-send.

I love being able to read about other peoples lives also, it facinates me to no end. And I don't see why we need to add another board to have it.

There's one board I visit and they have A TON of boards, too many to count, and they have an OT board (that's not what it's called) but there have been so many topics that have gotten so out of control and people there are just down-right mean. It's a horrible place now.

I would hate for these boards to get to that point. Amy, Please don't change the boards!! :pray:

bailsmom
06-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Clearly it is NOT intended as a free off topic forum where we can feel free to post all the OT topics we want. We have to first warn you that we're going to say something not knitting related, and we also feel as if we do not have the right to post as many OT topics as we'd like.

I feel as if those of use who do enjoy OT posts are only allowed a small corner of the room to do our non-knitting talking. And we have to keep it down so we don't irritate the "serious" knitters. And we have to warn everyone that we're about to go "OFF TOPIC" here.

I have never felt this way. I have always felt I could post whatever I wanted.

That is until this thread was started. :pout:

geekgolightly
06-14-2007, 11:15 AM
If the General Knitting forum is FOR OT posts, why are we supposed to label them as "OT"? And why does the description say "occasional OT"?

Ok fine. If the mods don't feel it's important or necessary, it's not going to happen. But you should know that there are A LOT of people who feel otherwise. It honestly does affect how I feel about posting anything here at KH. I feel like I can post all the sock info I want, all the help with knitting I want, all the questions about yarn and fiber, but I really shouldn't go bothering anyone with my question about my nails. And if I do, I have to warn you first (ahem OT here!! I'm gonna talk about something not related to knitting!)

Look, I am sorry if I'm rocking the boat. I really don't mean to ruffle feathers or start a scene. I'll step down off my soapbox now.

I agree and the site has gotten big enough that this is the next necessary step to encourage growth. I have been a moderator for seven years at another website and have seen ups and downs in growth. If this site does not want a forum that encourages connections and bonds, it will remain a small community and drifters who ask questions every now and again. One forum dedicated to interpersonal connections encourages growth, which is what I think the admins would want? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Kaydee
06-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I've been reading this thread since for the past few days and thinking a lot about it. Initially I voted yes but after reading the first few posts I started to think maybe we don't need an OT forum. Reading on though and seeing people's reactions to the OT posts it makes me want an OT forum even more.

I do enjoy reading and replying to the OT posts from time to time and never though it was a problem that they were in the general forum. After reading many people's feedback though it really makes me feel self-conscious about posting in the OT threads and makes me not want to post OT topics myself. I understand that this is a knitting forum but we seem to be a close knit community (no pun intended:teehee:) as well and IMHO its fine to go to others for advice on non-knitting topics. I had always thought that it was okay to post OT threads in the general forum but now after reading replies here, many obviously donít feel that it is. It seems like if we had an OT forum we could feel free to make these posts without worrying about if otherís are going to get mad that these posts are in the general forum.

Since everyone has been talking about Knitters Review, I went on over like Figaro to check it out. I totally understand why no one wants KH to become that because it just seems out of hand; there really are WAY too many forums there. I donít think we could ever get like that since there are some very obscure forums there that seem like they could be eliminated.

Just my two cents there so IMHO I vote yes.

brownishcoat
06-14-2007, 11:27 AM
If increasing moderator workload is an issue, then why not increase the number of moderators? :shrug:

I know that I personally would love to be one, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same.

KnittingNat
06-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I voted yes...Because i feel, like Silver and others, that right now it looks like OT topics should be very few and i don't post those ones often so i won't be filling the forum with "OT junk".. I don't think it'll get out of hands, because even if someone posts controversial OT, we still know how to behave and response like adults. And yes, sometimes this forum is the only place to ask OT questions! I personally really liked Nobones' threads on cats and dogs and i think we all found out interesting things about each other, so in OT forum it could even better. Or for example Knitting Guy's problems - many of us took interest and gave support and sometimes i enter the forums and look for OT's. I don't think it makes me less of a knitter, i think it makes of us more as persons.

cando
06-14-2007, 11:37 AM
I probably wouldn't check an off topic forum and I think there are a bunch of users that wouldn't either.
I wouldn't check an OT forum much either, but that is precisely why I voted for it.

Like many posters have already said, I prefer not having to wade through several OT posts to get to the knitting related ones. I love reading knitting related general topics (yarn experiences, KIP stores, stash pics, fantastic finds etc) but I rarely if ever, am in the mood to read the OT threads. When I open the General Knitting forum and see lots of OT threads, I tend to just move on.

Another board that I visit has a regulated OT forum (called something else) where they all agree not to post about political, religious or controversial topics. It is meant for day to day stuff people like to post about, humor and the like. If I were so inclined, I could post controversial topics in what is now the General Knitting forum, yes? Especially if, as some people say, this forum is equally meant for OT threads as for knitting related.

If too many forums is a concern, how about some housekeeping to merge some of the forums that are less used? I think it's unfair to compare an OT forum with say, Knitters Knear you or the Blog forum simply because an OT forum is non-specific. In every msg board I've visited, the OT forum (or it's local version) is by far the most popular.

amy
06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone! :muah: Thank you for this thoughtful discussion. Sorry to join in on this so late, Sheldon just told me about this discussion last night (I've been offline since Tues.).

I actually have recently been thinking it's time for an OT forum! I was surprised to see how quickly a recent post of mine went onto the second page of the general forum, and I realized this forum is getting busy to the point where it's getting overwhelming. I think that having kept the two areas combined prior to this, has been good for our initially smaller community; but we are now at the point where we would benefit from some more breathing room in the two topic areas.

I embrace OT as an essential part of the heart of our community. It was in support of it that I wanted it to be included in the general forum, the "main" forum. However, I see that the best way to support it at this time is to give it its own roomier forum. I think this will encourage both more OT and more General knitting, and make both areas easier to approach and sort through.

So, consider it done! And THANK YOU ALL for your thoughtful participation in this discussion. I've read every post, and you've all been very helpful in helping me to see our needs here, and how to best implement this new forum.
:grphug:

geekgolightly
06-14-2007, 12:14 PM
:cheering::muah:

figaro
06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
:muah::thumbsup::hug:!! Yay! Thank both of you for taking such good care of all of us!:woohoo:

Silver
06-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Amy, thank YOU.
http://www.puretna.com/pic/smilies/thankyou.gif

I hope I didn't step on any toes. Honestly. You know that I know very well how much work it is to be a mod and I certainly didn't want to create more work for them. In fact, Amy, I am willing to mod the new OT forum if needed. I don't suspect you'll actually need me, but I'm here if you do. Again thank you SO much for considering our wants and needs. I'm really VERY excited about a new OT forum!!

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s31/smilies-21813.png

Jan in CA
06-14-2007, 12:52 PM
See...I told you Amy had the final say. :teehee:

HamburgKnitter
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I think you made an excellent decision, Amy. Just looking at how full the general forum is, and how quickly the threads move to the second and even third page, it's a good step to take.

I also think it might be a good idea to take up one of the offers to have a mod just for the OT forum....alot of forums do it that way and it seems to work.

Braden
06-14-2007, 01:19 PM
If increasing moderator workload is an issue, then why not increase the number of moderators? :shrug:

I know that I personally would love to be one, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same.

Amy has already made some new mods. I would love to be one and work around KH and help Amy, too, but I think she's got enough for now.

Sara
06-14-2007, 02:13 PM
At the heart of this site is that we have EXCELLENT moderators and WONDERFUL members. If we go to an OT forum, I think the community will continue to monitor itself and successfully keep the atmosphere friendly. And I think there should be a big posting of the rules of kindness and fairplay stuck prominently at the top. :teehee:

Love you, my knitterz!!! :heart:

Braden
06-14-2007, 02:15 PM
AMEN!

madametj
06-15-2007, 12:13 AM
oh gee, did i miss anything?:teehee:

well, i now that i've read ALL the pages, i've gotta say i'm sorry that you felt the way you did, Silver, expecially since i don't remember anyone saying anything about the OT posts, and to me it never really seemed like a big deal to add 2 extra letters (OT) to my post title.

personally, i don't see the need for this new forum, but i'm just glad everything is resolved now.:hug:

Braden
06-15-2007, 01:47 AM
Well, glad to see that this is all resolved :)

Susan P.
06-15-2007, 02:05 AM
My own request..well..it's not a request it's a reminder..is that people who DO get actively involved in the OT forum will tend to naturally generate a lot of rapport. I really hope you know the next comment is meant in the BEST way..but..can those people just remember that forming close associations CAN (emphasise CAN) exclude others who don't get involved or who simply don't have the time to. So, when it comes to the knitting forums maybe make extra extra sure everyone is given equal response time.

I know y'all do that now...but...it's worth noting now ahead of the new forum.

I won't participate in that forum as such but that decision isn't a rejection..one recognises many of us aren't in the same time zones for one thing.

iza
06-15-2007, 07:56 AM
:cheering: Yay for the new forum! Yay knitters! :grphug:

bailsmom
06-15-2007, 10:40 AM
I know I probably shouldn't say this, but it's how I feel. I sure hope this isn't the beginning of the end of this forum for me. :pout: It just seems the bigger these forums get the more nasty people become.

I hope I am completely wrong and things stay as kind and gentle as they have been. I know change is good, but sometimes it's not........

Julie
06-15-2007, 03:03 PM
It just seems the bigger these forums get the more nasty people become.

I don't think you need to worry -- this forum is just as good-natured and friendly (and drama free!) today as it was when we had a few hundred members and only four forums. It's just how we operate :mrgreen:

larudden
06-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Gosh, as I was reading through this topic, I, too, started feeling kind of self-conscious about posting OT stuff. Now I'm glad that there will be a dedicated OT place.

When I first came here, I wondered what the whole Blog section was about. I mean, I just bookmark the blogs I like or click on the link of a member's post if it says "my blog." I can understand why bloggers like that section, though, even though I never use it. I'm sure that those that won't use an OT section will understand why we OTers will like having one.

On this board, even when there's disagreement, it's always seemed friendly to me. I can't say that on some of the other boards I've belonged to. It's downright scary sometimes!

I love this place!