PDA

View Full Version : Wha to do next?

Nobones
06-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Hi there people :waving:

I've finished my dressing gown and now I'm at a loss about what to knit next. I've decided not to have anything so big going on, and maybe having a couple of projects on the go so I can choose one depending on my mood. But I don't know what.

I tried knitting a test piece of fabric on DPN to see if I could have a go at trying to knit up a pair of socks. I was using worsted weight yarn and size 6 DPN (borrowed from my neighbor) and I kept getting this ladder type thing going on and couldn't get it going in rib either, it came out seed stitch! So no sock knitting for me.

I'm at a complete blank. Any suggestions? (Please no felting, that's just as scary as sock knitting!)

zkimom
06-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi Nobones!

This is my advice -- face your fears! I try not to knit only what I am comfortable knitting. My goal is to knit those things that I find most challenging and not spend the rest of my life knitting scarves (ok -- just an example, I'm not saying you only knit scarves :teehee:)

Ladders happen with dpns when you don't tighten your first couple of stitches enough between needles. And the reason you are getting a seed stitch instead of a rib is because you are not knitting your knit stitches and purling the purls. When you knit in the round your stitches are always the same, they don't reverse like they would on straights. So you keep following the same pattern, k2 p2 all the way around, instead of changing to p2 k2 on the next round.

I took a sock class to get over my fear of socks. I made one sock top down and it came out awful. I frogged it without even trying to make it's mate. Then I tried a toe-up sock based on a technique I found on knitty.com and made 2 pairs of toe-up socks! For some reason, the toe up thing was so much easier for me. I then went on the make 2 toe-up socks at a time using the ML method on Silver's tutorial. Now, socks are no longer scary.

Felting is the least scary thing for me. I have done it unintentionally too many times! Plus you can make things quickly using heavy yarn and large needles! And you don't have to spend a lot on the yarn either. It just needs to be a fiber you can felt - not acrylic. And all you do is knit til you end up with something huge that looks nothing like the final product, throw it in the wash, check it every now and then and see if you like how it looks, give it a little shape while it dries and voila! A purse that will be the envy of all your friends!

Have you done cables yet? They are fun to learn and you can make some lovely cabled scarves or hats.

This year I have intentionally chosen my projects to be those that I have avoided because I didn't think I could do it. Now I'm onto a lace scarf and a clapotis shawl. Oh yes and a tank top with short row shaping. There's so much out there just waiting to be knit up! Browse through Magknits or knitty.com or Interweave Knits. There is no end to the inspiration!

Just pick something and have fun with it!

Best,
Susan

Nobones
06-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Thank you! Now I know where I'm going wrong with the socks I think I'll try again. So I've just got to keep the tension tight, correct?

I hadn't thought about cables, but I've got a nice pattern for a small bag that's got cables, I could try that.

I'd like to make a thing that goes around a take-away coffee to stop you burning your hands. What are they called? Any one have a pattern for that?

zkimom
06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Thank you! Now I know where I'm going wrong with the socks I think I'll try again. So I've just got to keep the tension tight, correct?

I hadn't thought about cables, but I've got a nice pattern for a small bag that's got cables, I could try that.

I'd like to make a thing that goes around a take-away coffee to stop you burning your hands. What are they called? Any one have a pattern for that?

Just watch the tension as you change needles -- that is where the ladders form. Give those stitches an extra tug or two.

Is this what you were looking for?

Slingshot (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTslingshot.html)

Best,
Susan

Nobones
06-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah that's it! Thanks. I haven't tried knitting with 2 colours yet, this will be fun. Black and red or black and purple? Or black and blue or..... Oh the possibilities!

dakatzmeow
06-13-2007, 08:51 AM
i can DO socks on dpn's, but i love love love using 2 circs. have you thought about trying socks that way? if you are using 4 dpn's, you have 3 intersections per round. if you are using 2 circs, you have 2 intersections per round. multiply that out by as many rounds as it takes to make a sock, and look how many intersections and potential ladders you have avoided! ;)

BostonBecca
06-13-2007, 09:02 AM
I personally am not a fan of DPN's, too fiddly for me, and too many needles sticking out. I love Magic Loop, I haven't made socks yet either, but they are on the list.

I would try out the two circs method, which I haven't tried yet either, and Magic Loop, before you give up. Maybe DPN's just aren't for you? I didn't have any problem with laddering using Magic Loop and I did with DPN's.

Ronda
06-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Ellie, I've seen your dressing gown photos, and I'm shocked that YOU would find any knitting project intimidating! That dressing gown looked like it took forever to do, and it looked DIFFICULT to me!!! Socks and felting should be a breeze for you!!!!! Sorry - no suggestions on what to do next, just a comment. :)

Nobones
06-13-2007, 10:15 AM
The dressing gown was knitted straight on long circular needles. The stitches we're hard, stocking stitch and a yarn over every 12 stitches. Then decreasing and increasing. The problems I had was because the pattern I was working from wasn't well written. It wasn't that complicated it just took me so much time because I am slow.

What is a 'magic loop'? I don't have problems holding the needles, that was fine. The first 2 rows felt funny but after that it was o.k. Now I know where I'm going wrong I will try again with them, working with 2 circulars does sound a bit too complicated.

BostonBecca
06-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Magic Loop video is located here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

I am not sure how advanced it really is, but it is harder than just knitting and purling, etc. I don't think it is harder than using DPNs though.

KnittingNat
06-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi Ellie! I have to say that i'm with zkimom on that one: to try the things that you think are hard. I made socks from here : http://www.royea.net/sock.html
and it was really easy and nice. I never tried Silver's tutorial but i'm thinking about it, since i want to find what Magic Loop is :think:
I'm making a cables sweater and it allows me to learn how to do cables. A few projects are great idea, it gives you the choice. I have one i knit whenever and where ever, because the sweater keeps me glued to the pattern :shock: I think to browse knitty.com is a great idea from zkimom, i found there some future projects (i want to try entrelac and do Danica scarf). You search there like in Google and it gives you patterns from all previous seasons. I think after the gown you deserve a nice, fun project :muah:

Kaydee
06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Nobones, I would suggest that you try out socks. I'm just trying socks myself and they haven't been too bad so far. Its all about learning and trying new things out. If you don't take risks and try out new techniques you can't get better....and if it turns out bad you can just frog it and practice again. Besides, I saw the pics of your dressing gown, its amazing!!:inlove: I don't know how you did that, it looks so complicated!

Sanibelle
06-13-2007, 04:04 PM
No Bones -

Here is my 2 cents - and that really is all it is worth!!!

I had the sock fear too...I tired a class, another class - I thought I was jinxed.

So here is where I am now. I started the Pedicure Socks on Knitty - it is an easy (?) sock pattern... You do them on size 7 needles - the first time I tried to make a pair of socks it was on size 2 and I felt like I was knitting with toothpicks. I used Cascade fixation which because it has elastic in it hides a lot of the imperfections when you go from one needle to the next so I really did not see the ladder effect.

When I got the first sock done it was way too big. So now I am redoing it on a size 4 needle. It was actually fun after awhile. I do not not that I am ready to do a real sock on a size 2 needle yet... but at least I learned how to turn the heel and do the gusset. And I am getting used to working with 4 needles.... Oh - one more thing that helped me - and this is probably personal preference - I am using 5" Britanny Birch needles - I tried with the longer ones first and it was to hard for me to manipulate. The 5 inch ones seem to be a lot easier for me.

So I hope this helps a little bit...

Nobones
06-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Thank you guys, Nat thanks for that link I've bookmarked it and will have a go. My local yarn store is selling a very clever yarn that apparently when you knit it makes a pattern all by it's self! Talk about clever! It's recommend for socks, it's only 2 a ball so I might try it. (I think 2 works out at $4)

I've got my handles for my cable bag, feeling nervous at working with another needle but hey if your not challenged what's the point?

KnittingNat
06-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Nobones, we're here for you:hug: and cablese are really easy when you get the hang of it! I started making them really quickly:cheering: I was also looking at self-striping yarn on eBay...:drool::drool::drool: And you can always make a toy for Buffy... And socks for Mike...

Jacklad
06-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Magic Loop video is located here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/

I am not sure how advanced it really is, but it is harder than just knitting and purling, etc. I don't think it is harder than using DPNs though.

It depends where you're coming from - I've been knitting on DPNs, but with all the hype around other methods, my current sock project is using two circulars.

Frankly, it's just not for me. My speed is really down as I'm constantly stopping to rearrange the work. From reading about Magic Loop, I'm pretty sure I'd have the same issue with that. But at least now I can say that I've tried it, and prefer my DPNs (the second sock is going back to DPNs, for the speed factor alone). If you're already good with DPNs, I just don't see any advantage to either two circulars or Magic Loop. Live and learn...:shrug:

My next project is going to be something charted, as I'm not used to using a chart. After that, something lacy so I can get the full blocking experience :lol:. Trying new things keeps knitting interesting, and learning new things keeps your brain functioning.

http://www.fceasyknitting.com/blog/knitting-the-secret-to-good-health

Jackie

Nobones
06-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I wondered about doing a coloured piece, but I'm confused about something;

Fair Isle (Spelling's poor please forgive me) or Instasia. What's the difference? They are both knitting with colours I can't really see why they have different names.