PDA

View Full Version : FO/WIP - Baudelaire Sock (by Cookie A.)

knitqueen
06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
One sock down, one to go! I wasn't going to post until I had both socks finished, but I am just so pleased with how the first one turned out that I couldn't wait!

The pattern is Baudelaire (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTbaudelaire.html) by Cookie A., a toe up sock with a gusset/short row heel. I have to say that while this heel took a great deal of concentration for me, being my first time doing it this way, the results were well worth it. It is SUCH a well-fitted heel, I couldn't say anything bad about it.

I used Bernat Sox, which is nothing special really but it actually worked great for this pattern and I love the bright colour. Stash busting, ya know! This was knit on a size 0 Addi Turbo, using magic loop.

Sock #2 will be cast on tonight, I promise!

Jan in CA
06-14-2007, 11:30 PM
You did a fabulous job on it! It's such a pretty pattern!

Ronda
06-15-2007, 07:02 AM
It looks perfect!!!

marykz
06-15-2007, 07:36 AM
impressive!! that pattern is just so pretty and the heel looks perfect!

slightly addicted to yarn
06-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Really like that sock - it looks better than the picture on the knitty website! Sock knitting is something I haven't tried yet but am v. tempted especially by your version. Did you find it reasonably easy to knit? The knitty description suggests that it isn't too hard, but what do you think? Thanks for sharing

kristinw
06-15-2007, 08:19 AM
It is gorgeous!!! I think the color brings out the pattern so well!

knitqueen
06-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Really like that sock - it looks better than the picture on the knitty website! Sock knitting is something I haven't tried yet but am v. tempted especially by your version. Did you find it reasonably easy to knit? The knitty description suggests that it isn't too hard, but what do you think? Thanks for sharing

The pattern was very thoroughly written, every step word for word, even for the short row heel every row was written out whereas some patterns say something like "continue in this manner until X number of stitches are wrapped on each side...", this pattern wasn't like that.

If you're somewhat familiar with sock knitting and lace and very basic cables, you can do it!!

The only thing I did different was that I used the magic cast on method (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html) instead of the figure 8 cast on for the toe.

RachelJean
06-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Your sock looks great - the color shows the stitches perfectly! I love Cookie A's patterns and want to knit all of them!

carmabelle1191
06-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Ooh, pretty! I love the color! :inlove:

geekgolightly
06-16-2007, 05:44 AM
The pattern was very thoroughly written, every step word for word, even for the short row heel every row was written out whereas some patterns say something like "continue in this manner until X number of stitches are wrapped on each side...", this pattern wasn't like that.

If you're somewhat familiar with sock knitting and lace and very basic cables, you can do it!!

The only thing I did different was that I used the magic cast on method (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html) instead of the figure 8 cast on for the toe.

Do you think it's detailed enough for a first time toe up knit? I have wanted to do a toe up sock and I :heart: Cookie A. patterns.

Your sock is exquisite. Wonderful work!

Nobones
06-16-2007, 06:29 AM
I love the colour, and the pattern. Very clever, I'm in awe!

Brandilyne
06-16-2007, 06:49 AM
knitqueen, that sock is gorgeous!! Don't you just want to put on a flirty little skirt and run around in just those socks? :lol:

I've knit socks, but never any toe-up and none with the Magic Loop method, but I'm dying to try! These might have to be my first attempt!

loveswildflowers
06-16-2007, 07:48 AM
This was knit on a size 0 ... :passedout:
Your sock is beautiful. I'd dang sure post the first after knitting it on size zero too! What patience - Wow! That size sure does make a gorgeous well knit product. I am in awe! LOVE it!

knitqueen
06-16-2007, 10:34 AM
This was my first toe-up knit, so YES!

Thanks everyone on the compliments:muah:. I'm just barely into the foot of the second sock - second socks always take longer than first socks for me, so it'll be a week or two until I have an actual pair.

baronreads
06-16-2007, 10:38 AM
OH, it's so PURTY!! TFS

auburnchick
06-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Oh, that is so pretty! I've got to try one of her patterns!!

I think you picked out the perfect yarn to show off all of the nice patterns!!!!!

:cheering:

mdog182
06-16-2007, 04:38 PM
that is an absolutely gorgeous sock!! can't wait to see the pair!

Angelia
06-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Gorgeous, KQ!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

That sock is on my to-do list...I just have to get comfortable with toe-up sock knitting.

auburnchick
06-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Ya know, toe up is hard to start with but then great. It's so nice to be able to try on the sock as you go. It really helps with the fit.

tootie44
06-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Wow, that is a BEAUTIFUL sock!

knitqueen
06-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks again, everyone! :hug:

The thing that I think I liked the most about this sock was that the way the heel was constructed, there was no chance at all that there could be a gap like there sometimes can be at the top of a gusset in a top down sock. Everything just came together so perfectly and it was just a matter of following the pattern, word for word. Now that's a good designer! :happydance:

Mariblue
06-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Wow, thank you so much for sharing! Your sock is so beautiful! Can't wait to see them both together. I've been looking at that pattern for quite awhile, but wasn't sure if I could manage. You've convinced me that it's well within my abilities, so I'm definately going to be making myself a pair of those!

redwitch
06-19-2007, 09:14 PM
I've done these and I had only done a top-down practice pair before. I also used the Magic caston instead of the Fig. 8. I was surprised that I didn't even get those big holes at the end of the heel, where you rejoin to the instep stitches. Every single line/row is written out for the heel, instead of 'knit to one stitch before wrap, wrap, and turn, repeat until only x stitches remain'. It was absolutely clear all the way through. Mine sadly turned out a bit too big, I imagine it was partly my gauge not necessarily the pattern, but keep that in mind. I actually think the pattern has a fair amount of stretch - not like ribbing of course, but it is not inflexible. I wish I had done the smallest size, they sag a bit on me now, sadly.
I would recommend this for a first-time sock. The lace pattern at front and back has 2 purl stitches in the middle which are ALWAYS on top of each other so it is very easy to stay on track and see where you have missed, if you do.
I also recommend a solid or nearly-solid colour, when choosing my wool I found a lot of pictures in variegated colours and the pattern was terribly obscured in most of them.
Check out the pattern and how the heel is written, you can't really go wrong!

knitqueen
06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
YAY!! :cheering: Someone else who has made them!!

I am cruising along on sock #2, just about finished the heel and then it's smooth sailing to the end. I am SO happy with them!

My gauge is spot on, and I actually made the largest size. I have a size 9/10 wide foot size. They are snug, which is good I've come to realize. The only thing I wish I'd done differently is that I also used the instructions for the large instep which it seems that I wouldn't have needed to do. So the leg part is a tad looser than the foot part, but it still stays up and everything so it for sure did not make them too big, but I just wish I'd stayed with the regular instep instructions. Oh well!