PDA

View Full Version : Stitch markers- would you buy them? 3 pics

rorygilmore
06-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I've been making stitch markers for a while now and I was thinking of saling them on esty. I think they are nice but I wanted to hear others thougths before I tryed to sale some sets. please let me know what you think. I was thinking of saling a set of 4 for $5, is that a good price and would you pay that for a set?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/DSCF5460.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/DSCF5461.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/DSCF5462.jpg

larudden
06-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Great markers! Will you be offering them in different sizes? A "variety pack" perhaps? You could make each size a different color which would "help" the knitter distinguish between the sizes.

I love your color choices. The one thing I would be careful of is that there are no rough edges to catch on the yarn. I don't have my glasses on and am too lazy to go find them but it looks like you've got a small wire wrap on the bottom of some. Is that right? I would recommend either a long head pin with a very tight wrap at the top or a beading thread that you can thread through a tiny seed bead at the bottom, which will hold the rest of your beads on. You could tie a knot at the top and then use one of those handy dandy crimp covers which look like a little ball when they're attached.

Am I making sense? As a glass artist, I'm very particular about how things are finished and hope that I'm not sounding too "preachy" which isn't my intent. I just thought you might like another opinion.

You can also go to the forum www.wetcanvas.com (http://www.wetcanvas.com) and post your question and pictures in the glass art section. The artists there are so awesome and their critiques are always so wonderful and sensitive.

Good luck.

SabrinaJL
06-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't (that's just because I only like the little rubber stitch markers though). But I'm sure someone would since they are very pretty.

If I were buying markers like that though I'd want at least a set of 6. I probably wouldn't buy a set of 4. Good luck with those! I hope you sell lots. :)

Carrie218
06-15-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm the same as Sabrina - I don't even buy "knitting stitch markers" but go to a local beauty supply store and buy the tiny rubber-bands that braiders use in hair. I get something like 100 rubber-bands for .99 cents...

But, Rory, as a fellow jeweler, I can attest that you have a good eye for color and those would look fabulous on a bracelet!

Silver
06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I don't use stitch markers that are any more elaborate than little rubber rings. BUT, that didn't stop me from making my own little sheep stitch markers and selling them on etsy. I made about 30 of them and sold them all.

People DO buy stitch markers. Go for it. What's the worst that will happen? :)

Mirl56
06-15-2007, 12:53 PM
I think that is a very reasonable price. I've seen beaded stitch markers that cost way more then that. Note I don't have any beaded ones, but at that price I could be convinced I needed some.

Knitting_Guy
06-15-2007, 12:54 PM
I think they would sell.

Jax3303
06-15-2007, 01:00 PM
they're very pretty, but I personally wouldn't buy them because they're not my style. as for pricing, go browse around etsy and see what others are charging and what materials they're using. Compare. I also have a suggestion, Make all but one in the set exactly the same, with one slightly different (different bead order, or one bead a different color) so it can be distinguished as a beginning of row marker for knitting in the round.

Mommy22alyns
06-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Those are so pretty! I like the previous suggestions of making a bigger set and making one slightly different. Both seem like they'd be helpful based on my limited marker experience.

I haven't been brave enough to buy or use anything more than the thin plastic markers though.

rorygilmore
06-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks everyone!! I like the idea of making the set bigger and having different for the beginning of the row. I need to get bigger rings and more beads. I started making those because I had some beads and i don't wear bacelets so i made these. I need to try some different kinds but I don't have the money to buy any new supplies right now :cry:.