PDA

View Full Version : Knitting At Appleby's

Knitting_Guy
06-15-2007, 09:26 PM
I checked into the hotel and walked over to Appleby's for dinner and a few beers. I'm an irregular regular there so they all know me.

I took my knitting along, the Irish hiking scarf, and worked on it while I enjoyed a few beers. Predictably several of the female employees came over to check out my knitting and fawned over it. A couple of the female customers also stopped by to make comments.

Naturally I was enjoying myself quite a bit. :lol:

At one point this young guy sitting a couple of stools down from me asked "Does that always happen?" I asked what he was talking about. "You know, the girls coming over and talking to you about THAT" pointing to my knitting.

I told him that yeah, it happens a lot. He said maybe he should learn how to knit. :rofling:

Doodknitwit
06-15-2007, 09:34 PM
too cute.. :waving: flirt!!:poke:

Knitting_Guy
06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
too cute.. :waving: flirt!!:poke:

Hey, it's what I do. :rofling:

Kaydee
06-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Hehe. You should've given those guys a lesson so they could pick up some girls for themselves.:teehee:

ETA: I was just looking at your blog Mason and your scarf looks great! Love the yarn you're using.

Chel
06-15-2007, 09:59 PM
We need a blue one of these just for Mason. :flirt:

:roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
06-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks Kaydee, I really like the tarn, It looks better in person than in that pic.

Chel. Blue?

Mariblue
06-15-2007, 10:44 PM
That's great , thanks for sharing!

misha rf
06-15-2007, 10:59 PM
That's funny! And Kaydee's right--you should have offered to teach them so they could use it to pick up women! :lol:

Your scarf is lovely. And, based on what you wrote, maybe cables *would* be easy for me to learn...

Edited to add:

I just shared this story w/the Husband. He then asked me if I'd teach him how to knit...and then said, "Maybe I should ask someone else." Good thing he's cute!

Knitting_Guy
06-15-2007, 11:11 PM
That's funny! And Kaydee's right--you should have offered to teach them so they could use it to pick up women! :lol:

Your scarf is lovely. And, based on what you wrote, maybe cables *would* be easy for me to learn...

Edited to add:

I just shared this story w/the Husband. He then asked me if I'd teach him how to knit...and then said, "Maybe I should ask someone else." Good thing he's cute!

:roflhard:

BinkyKat
06-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Way to be Mason!:cheering:
Maybe they should rename that branch "Knittlebees":teehee:

ready2knit
06-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Funny, how a guy gets hit on when he knits and when I a 40 yr old woman knits, I'm told I'm old!

How does that work? :think:

Jana

Dangles
06-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Mason, your scarf looks wonderful so far.

ready2knit: Weird how that works huh?

Rorshach
06-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Heh, Mason, whenever I knit in public like that I get into the weirdest conversations, mostly being stared at like I have a third head or something. but then, here in rural Idaho, it's not real common to see a guy knitting, not that it's more common anywhere else.

Aaron

VickyS456
06-16-2007, 05:11 AM
Mason, you're too cute!

Funny, how a guy gets hit on when he knits and when I a 40 yr old woman knits, I'm told I'm old!

How does that work? :thinking:

LOL, my man thinks it's hot that I knit, which I find hysterical. But he's also the type that thinks me being a good mom is a turn-on ;) Totally old fashioned.

Brandilyne
06-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Mason, I love it! I can't find a "male" flirting icon, but this one came to mind after reading your story:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Brandilyne/635-doublekiss.gif

Vendie
06-16-2007, 07:38 AM
That's fabulous Mason! :rofl:

bip
06-16-2007, 10:10 AM
See, when I taught my 24-year old brother to knit, I told him it would attract chicks like nobody's business. He didn't believe me and he never knits. I should send him this thread ...

Plus, then maybe he'll finish this sweater I have for him waiting to be assembled, needs like a million intarsia ends woven in...

Sanibelle
06-16-2007, 10:42 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:Now we all know why Mason learned to knit!!!!

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

Mommy22alyns
06-16-2007, 10:58 AM
:rofl::rofl:

jjminarcik
06-16-2007, 12:15 PM
:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

mulene
06-16-2007, 12:21 PM
ROFL nice one Mason ;) You should have told him how much we all love you here too =D

I LOVE your Irish Hiking Scarf. I did mine in plain ole Navy blue baby alpaca. It turned out nice but I was sad you can't really see the cables on it. With the yarn you are using it shows up beautifully!

french kiwi
06-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Mason,

it is a very cute story, but i'm wondering, don't you get all muddled up in "how many stitches did i knit? what row am i on? etc" when all these ladies come up and chat? I still get all tangled up with my stitches and rows. On my own! let alone when someone talks to me...
Your scarf is lovely indeed. If you come over to Paris you could wear it, cause it's freezing!
FK

PammieJR
06-16-2007, 12:53 PM
OK Mason, that is officially awesome!!! And people say that guys with dogs can get girls attention...look at YOU!!!

Knitting_Guy
06-16-2007, 01:59 PM
ROFL nice one Mason ;) You should have told him how much we all love you here too =D

I LOVE your Irish Hiking Scarf. I did mine in plain ole Navy blue baby alpaca. It turned out nice but I was sad you can't really see the cables on it. With the yarn you are using it shows up beautifully!

Thanks. I made a point of selecting a yarn that I thought would show the cables properly.

Knitting_Guy
06-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi Mason,

it is a very cute story, but i'm wondering, don't you get all muddled up in "how many stitches did i knit? what row am i on? etc" when all these ladies come up and chat? I still get all tangled up with my stitches and rows. On my own! let alone when someone talks to me...
Your scarf is lovely indeed. If you come over to Paris you could wear it, cause it's freezing!
FK

Nah, if I lose track of what stitch I was on I just count them. As for the rows, there's a reason I have a counter hanging on my circs :rofling:

Knitting_Guy
06-16-2007, 02:01 PM
OK Mason, that is officially awesome!!! And people say that guys with dogs can get girls attention...look at YOU!!!

Yarn doesn't bite. :rofling:

KnittingNat
06-17-2007, 08:01 AM
I like the way your scarf is turning out! Lovely yarn. And great way to pick up girls :roflhard: They probably feel that you're so in touch with your feminine side :flirt:. Why when i KIP people stare at me with this weird look on their face?:??

Knitting_Guy
06-17-2007, 08:04 AM
And great way to pick up girls :roflhard: They probably feel that you're so in touch with your feminine side

If you saw me in person you'd realize just how hilarious that really is.

I think it just really makes them curious to see a bearded, tattooed, trucker type knitting. Of course it could also make me look a little less threatening I suppose.

suzeeq
06-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Someone on another board posted that they saw a `biker' type pull out his knitting at a bar and I wondered if that was you and they mistook `trucker' for `biker'....

sue

Knitting_Guy
06-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Someone on another board posted that they saw a `biker' type pull out his knitting at a bar and I wondered if that was you and they mistook `trucker' for `biker'....

sue

I fit right in with the biker crowd as I used to be one so anything is possible.

suzeeq
06-17-2007, 07:52 PM
I've been around both bikers and truckers and they're sometimes both and may have a similar appearance... ;)

sue

BinkyKat
06-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I fit right in with the biker crowd as I used to be one so anything is possible.

Would that make you a "triker" ? :teehee::rollseyes::roflhard:

suzeeq
06-17-2007, 08:06 PM
There's bikers that ride three wheelers.... which are called trikes.

sue

Knitting_Guy
06-17-2007, 08:27 PM
:rofling:

larudden
06-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey Mason! Great story and THAT SCARF is so awesome! Great color choice, too!:woot:

BTW, do you ever truck over to the Orlando area? You sound like someone I just HAVE to meet! Maybe you could convince my husband that it's OK for a guy to knit. He'd probably be awesome at it since he's got that engineering mind going all the time.

Have a great day!

msoebel
06-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Mason, why do you suppose women love you so much? I mean, you knit in a restaraunt bar, and women approach you. You post on this board, and every one of us wants to reply to your threads. You are just too charming.

You must be doing something right...it's working for you.:thumbsup:

BTW...lovely scarf. I think it's looking much better than your red scarf! What an improvement you've made in such a short time!

Misty