PDA

View Full Version : OT - DH was in a car accident!

bobi1218
06-16-2007, 08:15 AM
DH went out after work yesterday with some friends. I was woken up at 1am by a phone call - he was rear-ended on the DC Beltway, and his car is probably totalled. There was traffic due to construction on the highway, and he had slowed down to about 25 mph. The girl behind him didn't, and rammed into the back of his car at about 70 mph. His car spun sideways, and she hit him again on the side. Luckily, both he and his friend were wearing seatbelts. They're both a bit sore, but otherwise unhurt. DH told me his glasses flew off his face on impact - without the seatbelt, he probably would have gone through the windshield.

So I bundled up 2 sleeping kids and strapped them into their car seats, and drove 20 minutes to go pick him up. We had to wait while the state trooper filled out a preliminary accident report, etc. That phone call was one of the worst of my life - my entire body just went numb. Its been over 2 hours now, and I'm just starting to stop shaking. We're really lucky, this could have been so much worse.

So I guess we'll find out in a couple of days whether they will fix his car, or total it. We can't really afford another car payment (DH's car is paid off), but there's a ton of damage. We'll see what happens, I guess.

figaro
06-16-2007, 08:30 AM
I could not imagine getting that phone call. I am happy that he is alright, sounds like he was very lucky.

redwitch
06-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Glad he's okay and he wears his seatbelt. Everyone always remember to do the same please! I recently rolled a car 1.5 times landed on the roof going at 100 kph and walked away with just a minor scrape on my foot from it banging into the accelerator (I think). I really think that without the belt I might be dead and certainly quite badly, maybe permanently, hurt. 3 days later my friend's car tipped over into a ditch and she said if she hadn't had her belt on, who knows, she might have fallen through the open window and had the car land on top of her. Remember to put it on every time.
You must have been so scared. Sometimes I think it is worse to get that phone call than make it. Your hubby knew as soon as the car stopped moving - or 30 seconds later - that he was okay. You had to get the call and drive out there without seeing it for yourself that he was okay and until then it never sinks in. And dealing with taking the kids out there too...
Go have your drink of choice, be it tea, coffee, or Scotch. Read the replies tomorrow, if you are still online. Hope that the car can be fixed or even better, insurance buys you a new one!! The person who hit him: stupid cow. But hope she's okay.
Do whatever you need to relax (a bit).

P.S. the fact that you have come and posted to your online knitting friends about it shows you are already returning to normal.

P.P.S. what's a Beltway anyone? How is it different from a motorway/ 'highway'?

Doodknitwit
06-16-2007, 08:35 AM
oh my!! thank God!! they are safe!!! how's the girl who hit them??
I pray for you all and am grateful as you are.

HamburgKnitter
06-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Wow, your poor husband! Poor you! It could have been so much worse, he was lucky indeed.

Redwitch, a Beltway is actually a highway/freeway, but it's one that goes around a city so commuters can avoid inner-city traffic. Here we would call it simply a "ring".

AnreeAce
06-16-2007, 09:02 AM
:hug::hug::hug:Robyn!

How scary for you! I'm glad your DH is OK. :heart:

Ronda
06-16-2007, 09:05 AM
:hug: I'm glad your DH wasn't hurt.

quiltbugj
06-16-2007, 09:37 AM
P.P.S. what's a Beltway anyone? How is it different from a motorway/ 'highway'?[/quote]

The Beltway is the highway that forms a "belt" around the DC metro area. You're either "inside" or "outside" the beltway. "inside" is usually more expensive. Our commutes here are horrible and if you're inside the beltway you usually have an easier commute into the District (DC)

PS - Glad your hubby is ok.

ADAllen
06-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm glad they are alright.:hug: That's a horrible way to be woken up.

baronreads
06-16-2007, 10:07 AM
:hug: So glad he is OK and could make the phone call himself! I always wear my seatbelt, but trying to explain to teenagers the importance is FRUSTRATING! My DS won't put it on if he's in the back seat without my nagging. It scares me to think about what could happen if he was with a teen driver and in the back seat without his belt and something happened! Hopefully your heartrate is back to normal this morning! Hang in there!

redwitch
06-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Julie, slam on the brakes at highish speed next time he doesn't wear his seatbelt, just enough to make him lightly bop his head and then say 'imagine that at xmph instead of the speed I was just going.'
BTW Bobi be prepared for his shoulder to be sore tomorrow or day after (and way cool bruises on shoulder and sides of both hips).

baronreads
06-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Great idea!!

Mommy22alyns
06-16-2007, 10:27 AM
That must have been so scary. :hug::hug: I'm glad he's okay.

robynbird
06-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh Robyn! How scary!! I'm so glad he and his friend are ok. How was the girl that hit them? I hope it they total the car, you get a good sized check to put down on a new car. :hug:

snowbear
06-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Big Bear Hugs...

Ok.. Having driven on the beltway I know how insane it is. My kids were in VA when dsin-law was stationed there.

Main thing DH is safe. I'm keeping paws crossed that her insurance will replace car.

Be sure and have DH checked out by a DR. Even though HE says he's ok.. it is better to know now, than to try to file an insurance claim later.

His body may still be in a type of shock and he isn't aware of pains & or neck or back injury.

Big Bear hugs again.

auburnchick
06-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Wow! I'm glad he's okay. The car is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. God will provide...

:hug:

dakatzmeow
06-16-2007, 11:54 AM
ugh. i used to live there. traffic drives SOOOOOOOOO fast, and so close together. no one gives ANY space between cars. if you try to leave room between yourself and the car ahead, someone cuts in. i can just imagine how fast and hard she hit him.

he will probably be super sore today. muscles tend to be more sore for the next day or 2 after the accident, rather than right away. if he's hurting, he really should go get checked out. it will help in the insurance settlement as well b/c you can establish any muscular strains.

here's hoping you ALL recover quickly.

Knitting_Guy
06-16-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm glad they're ok. Could have been a lot worse. It only took one trip through a windshield for me to learn to strap in.

He really should be checked out by a doc just to make sure there aren't any injuries.

geekgolightly
06-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh how scary! I am so glad that he is safe at home.

I agree with knitting guy. Go see a doc for followup just to cover your bases, especially if a bruise is showing up over the area of the seatbelt.

Mariblue
06-16-2007, 12:09 PM
:hug::hug::hug:So glad he is ok!:hug::hug::hug:

mulene
06-16-2007, 12:27 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug:so glad to hear he and his friend are ok. It is very scary I know but its good neither were really hurt. Shock is nasty - it lasts a while but you'll get through :)

jjminarcik
06-16-2007, 12:31 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug: to you and your family. Glad to hear your husband is okay!

KnittingNat
06-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Glad your hubby is ok...

suecq
06-16-2007, 06:13 PM
I am so glad your husband is ok.

Andrea
06-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Julie, slam on the brakes at highish speed next time he doesn't wear his seatbelt, just enough to make him lightly bop his head and then say 'imagine that at xmph instead of the speed I was just going.'

As a police officer, I highly suggest one doesn't take this approach to teach a lesson.

An easier way is to refuse to start the car and/or drive if he's not buckled in. And no trips with friends. :shrug:

mks22300
06-16-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm so glad that your husband and his friend are ok!

Braden
06-16-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm just glad your husband and friends are okay, it could have been a lot worse.

Kaydee
06-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Wow, that's so scary to wake up to a call like that. I'm so glad that no one was hurt. Sending hugs and happy thoughts your way:hug::muah:

misha rf
06-16-2007, 09:09 PM
How scary!! I'm glad they're ok!! :hug::hug::hug::hug:

Aliann
06-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm glad your husband and his friend are ok. Kind of makes me wonder where the other driver's mind was.:think:

debinoz
06-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Glad Dh is okay, I bet he'll be sore for a while though.

My car doesn't go unless everyone is buckled up. Some of my kids's friends think I'm insane, but I'd rather stay home than drive without them.

I saw a bumpersticker today that had the outline of a seatbelt on it and it said, "I'd rather lose a minute of my life, than my life in a minute. Buckle up."

AmandaC
06-17-2007, 08:27 AM
I think that all those people who don't wear a seatbelt in the back seats of a car should watch this video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ag-5zGbe_co).

I don't let anyone sit behind me if they aren't wearing one!

Nobones
06-17-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm so sorry to read about your DH, but I'm glad I did, I have a medical note excusing me from wearing my seatbelt, I haven't since I passed my test 8 years ago. This has defiantly made me reconsider and look at what's available to help me wear my seatbelt.

Silver
06-17-2007, 03:31 PM
OMG.. I'm SO glad he is ok!! I know how you feel... I got that call before too, only hubby was on a motorcycle when he had his accident. He was ok, but it could have been so much worse.

We all wear our seatbelts purely by habit and we wear helmets on the bike even though they're not law in FL. Accidents HAPPEN!

HUGS to you and your family!!

Boogs
06-17-2007, 05:51 PM
DH went out after work yesterday with some friends. I was woken up at 1am by a phone call - he was rear-ended on the DC Beltway, and his car is probably totalled. There was traffic due to construction on the highway, and he had slowed down to about 25 mph. The girl behind him didn't, and rammed into the back of his car at about 70 mph. His car spun sideways, and she hit him again on the side. Luckily, both he and his friend were wearing seatbelts. They're both a bit sore, but otherwise unhurt. DH told me his glasses flew off his face on impact - without the seatbelt, he probably would have gone through the windshield.

So I bundled up 2 sleeping kids and strapped them into their car seats, and drove 20 minutes to go pick him up. We had to wait while the state trooper filled out a preliminary accident report, etc. That phone call was one of the worst of my life - my entire body just went numb. Its been over 2 hours now, and I'm just starting to stop shaking. We're really lucky, this could have been so much worse.

So I guess we'll find out in a couple of days whether they will fix his car, or total it. We can't really afford another car payment (DH's car is paid off), but there's a ton of damage. We'll see what happens, I guess.

Your post gave me flashbacks - something similar happened to my Hubby last January on the DC beltway on his way to his last day at work and it totally freaked me out.

My Hubby's car wasn't totalled though it required a few weeks in the garage.

I'm glad to hear that your husband is in one piece and I hope he's not hurting too badly today.