PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Socks

AnaK
06-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I am trying to make my first sock and have question for you experienced sock knitters.
At the point where the needles meet I notice slightly larger gap than between other stitches.
I try hard to make sure to tighten it and not have loose stitch there and it still shows. Is there a trick to this?
Also which pattern do you recomend for first time sock knitter?
Thank you:muah:

geekgolightly
06-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I am trying to make my first sock and have question for you experienced sock knitters.
At the point where the needles meet I notice slightly larger gap than between other stitches.
I try hard to make sure to tighten it and not have loose stitch there and it still shows. Is there a trick to this?
Also which pattern do you recomend for first time sock knitter?
Thank you:muah:

I am not experienced, but I have had that same problem. Laddering of stitches is frustrating! I have eliminated them for the most part by putting my right working needle underneath the needle previously worked. Then I make sure to tighten the first and second stitch a bit tighter than i do the other stitches.

I don't know if this is the standard for eliminating laddering effect, but it has worked well for me.

Also, if you are working the sock inside out, the gaps will be bigger. Make sure you are knitting with the outside of the sock facing the outside.

Hope that helps!

Silver
06-17-2007, 03:36 PM
That's good advice, so I can't offer anything else. But, have you checked out my sock knitting classes? See the link in my signature below. Good luck! :)

geekgolightly
06-17-2007, 04:23 PM
That's good advice, so I can't offer anything else. But, have you checked out my sock knitting classes? See the link in my signature below. Good luck! :)

That's how I learned to knit socks! Silver's online class is the best. Bar none.

scubasinger
06-17-2007, 08:13 PM
I rotate the stitches around the needles.

First, I use a stitch marker to make sure I know where the beginning of a round is.

Then, I knit the first stitch from the new left needle onto my empty working needle. I then immediately slide that single stitch from the working needle onto the full, right needle holding the previously worked stitches. Then using the once-again empty working needle, I knit the remaining stitches from the left needle.

I repeat that process each time I change needles, so the 'gap' continues to move. As long as my stitch marker tells me where the new round is beginning, it doesn't matter if it's in the middle of a needle or not.

If there's a need later (like a color change or something), I can easily redistribute the stitches among the needles.

Knitting_Guy
06-17-2007, 09:01 PM
That's one of several reasons I prefer knitting them on circs using Magic Loop. It's much easier to prevent laddering.

jjminarcik
06-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Ditto what Mason said!

PixieKnits
06-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Ditto Mason, and Silver, i LOVE silvers tutorials!

dakatzmeow
06-17-2007, 11:03 PM
yep, silver's tutes rock! i actually prefer 2 circs for socks. i'm not sure i'm brave enough to try magic loop and the 2 circs is such a neat trick, i just stick with that.

starburst6589
06-18-2007, 02:19 AM
OMG! Is that really Silver? THE Silver from "Come to Silver"? AhhhH! Definitely go to that site!! It's the only sock pattern I know right now! (Don't worry, trying to widen my horizons soon!)

Also, if you get stuck on the heel, there's an amazing video on DIYnetwork.com. This lady knits pretty fast, so if you need to, go back and watch parts again. Just scroll down and look on the right side for two pictures of people making socks. Click on "Watch the Video".

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3484997,00.html

starburst6589
06-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Oops! Here's part two of that...

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3484730,00.html

AnaK
06-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Thank you all I will make sure to check Silvers tutorial and DIY site.:muah:

Silver
06-18-2007, 10:37 PM
OMG! Is that really Silver? THE Silver from "Come to Silver"? AhhhH! Definitely go to that site!! It's the only sock pattern I know right now! (Don't worry, trying to widen my horizons soon!)
LOL Yeah, I'm that Silver.
And you just made me feel like a rock star! :heart:

Knitting_Guy
06-18-2007, 10:39 PM
LOL Yeah, I'm that Silver.
And you just made me feel like a rock star! :heart:

You mean you're not? :shock:

Silver
06-18-2007, 10:41 PM
You mean you're not? :shock:
Only in my own head. And sometimes in the shower.

Knitting_Guy
06-18-2007, 10:56 PM
:rofling:

Well, ya are to me.

Silver
06-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, ya are to me.
:heart: Thank you :)

Braden
06-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Okay, definately try Silver's tutorial. I didn't learn socks from it, but I wish I had. I would have saved myself a lot of ripping. It's definately the best out there.

geekgolightly
06-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I didn't like magic loop or two circs. I know it's more efficient, but I like the aesthetics of DPN's. It looks intricate and Japanese like origami, which thrills me. Especially using five DPN's. Form over function isn't brilliant, but it's beautiful. :heart:

cynanar
06-19-2007, 01:27 PM
When I cast on for socks, I always cast on one extra stitch. After I redistribute my stitches evenly, I make sure the one extra stitch is on one of the end needles, I shift that extra stitch to the first needle and slip the next stitch over. This allows me to pull that stitch nice and tight and it helps to reduce the gap on the first row. If I have laddering during my knitting I also shift my stitches around. I find that if I try to pull that first stitch tight, I continue pulling tight with the rest of my stitches and end up knitting too tight.

Cynanar

Nobones
06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm going to start my first pair of socks tomorrow. (going shopping for DPN. I'm looking forward to using the 'Silver Sock tutorial' because it's nicely laid out and simple to follow. I've had a go at knitting in the round on DPN's but I get this ugly ladder stitch like the first comment said so now I know how to get around that I'm raring to go.