PDA

View Full Version : tracking pattern rows

4429club
06-18-2007, 09:09 AM
I am knitting sleeves for a sweater. The sleeves have two kinds of cables in a six row pattern and increases every four rows. How do I track the rows so that I remember to increase every four rows when the cable pattern is a six row pattern? Thanks.

Mariblue
06-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I do it the old fashioned way with a paper and pencil. I don't like to do it that way, and I feel like it slows me up (but really, how much time does it take to mark a little piece of paper? This is what I tell myself. Because if I don't mark it down as I go, I will definately get lost what with my kids distracting me, and my own flighty memory:teehee:)
I'd keep two lists on that paper, one of the rows, and one of where you are in the cable pattern, and mark off both as you go, so that you know exactly where you are each time.
And this chart keeper (http://www.knitpicks.com/Chart+Keeper_AD80314.html) was recently discussed in another thread here on Knitting Help. It looks interesting, and I wonder if something similar couldn't also be found at an office supply store or something? It might help too.

wends
06-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Like Mariblue, I use pen and paper. It makes my life so much easier.

bip
06-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Well, you could use a row counter. Use the tens place to track the pattern (when you get to 6, roll it back to 1) and the ones place to track the increases (when you get to 4, do your increase and roll it back to 1). The great thing about this is that if you put your work down, when you come back you can easily tell where you were.

Just remember to advance both numbers each time and never look at it as ONE number.

Jan in CA
06-18-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't like counters so I use a pencil and paper. Depending on the pattern I either just use marks like IIII (hash marks?) or I actually write out the numbers with info beside them to keep track and then cross them out as I do them..like this:

1 k
2 p
3 k
4 k3, inc, k25, inc, k3

etc.............

samm
06-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm a paper and pencil person myself. I usually mark down the repeat of each, and circle where I do the cable or increase, and then checkmark as I go. The second sleeve I cross the check mark, and my sleeves match! samm

GinnyG
06-18-2007, 05:32 PM
I use a row counter like this one, WORKS GREAT!! You can count up to 99 rows by doubling the numbers up. I am working on sleeves to a sweater now that you need to decrease every 4th row, this make it totally painless.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Number-Chain-beaded-knitting-row-counter-DRAGONFLY_W0QQitemZ190099163807QQihZ009QQcategoryZ 1362QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

G J
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I have a totally different method, so I thought I'd share. I thread a lifeline through on pattern change rows. I use my KPO's and thread cotton crochet thread through the little hole every time I do a pattern change. On sleeves, I do it on increase rows. You could do it on the row after the cable row, or whatever. Just BE CONSISTENT. If I'm doing two sleeves separately, (not at the same time) I leave the lifelines in until I'm done with both sleeves. This ensures the sleeves will match. :waving:

Hope this helps!