PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose a yarn?

stirsmommy
06-18-2007, 12:10 PM
This is probably a very basic question but how do you choose a yarn for cables like the Irish hiking scarf. How do you know if what you are looking at will make the cables pop? I went to the lys and came home because I couldn't decide. I am making this for a very special birthday present for my so and I want to do it right.
Thanks

Kaydee
06-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I usually go for a solid yarn for cables since I find they tent to get lost in a varietated or striped yarn.

cheesiesmom
06-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, I suppose that with a textural pattern like a cable, I'd want something that was very smooth so the pattern would stand out. I made the Irish Walking Scarf in Lion Wool-ease and it turned out well, though I think if I did it again, I'd look for a "softer" yarn, maybe a nice merino wool. Obviously, I'd avoid anything with a halo or a boucle-type of yarn.

Silver
06-18-2007, 12:25 PM
As a general rule, if you want your stitch pattern to really stand out, choose a smooth, single color yarn.

You can use a lightly variegated yarn too, but just remember that the more colors in the yarn, the more it will distract from the pattern. Never use a novelty, fuzzy, eyelash, glittery or multicolored yarn when you really want to show off stitches. There are some exceptions to this rule, but like I said, this is just generally speaking.

aineepooh1
06-18-2007, 03:54 PM
I am glad for this post b/c i have been practicing c4F cables last night and i was using a soft solid color yarn and was observing my cabling technique:ick: and it was thinking about a varigate. Now maybe i better not:noway:

Braden
06-18-2007, 03:56 PM
For cables, you want a smooth, solid color, tightly spun yarn. NEVER use a variegated or self striping, but a gradiated yarn is fine, like Ingrid's cabled scarf made with Karaoke.

brendajos
06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
i have used a variegated yarn on cables and loved the effect it created. I wouldn't do it on all yarns or all cables but i wouldn't say never.

Arielluria
06-18-2007, 04:09 PM
What is this Irish scarf pattern? Can someone please post it?

Braden
06-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Irish Hiking Scarf (http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm)

Arielluria
06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks! That's a great way to show off your cables!
:muah:

Carrie218
06-18-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm addicted to knitting cabled sweaters with the various tweed yarns that are out there. This is one I recently finished -- sorry it is blurry, but if I shoot the picture with a flash, the cables disappear! But I love the affect of the occasional speck of another color and the rusticness of the yarn.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/499615077_30c4370474.jpg

samm
06-18-2007, 05:13 PM
That's a beautiful sweater! I like plainer yarns for cable patterns,myself, but that scarf that Mason is doing is gorgeous. I gotta get me some of that yarn. Subtle colour changes like that one has don't seem to hide the cables. samm

madametj
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
How to choose yarn?

1. Look
2. Touch
3. Buy

:teehee:

Arielluria
06-19-2007, 10:12 AM
You forgot #4.........
4. Hide from the rest of the household..........so you don't have to hear "what do you need MORE yarn for?!?"
:roflhard:

How to choose yarn?

1. Look
2. Touch
3. Buy

ArtLady1981
06-20-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm addicted to knitting cabled sweaters with the various tweed yarns that are out there. This is one I recently finished -- sorry it is blurry, but if I shoot the picture with a flash, the cables disappear! But I love the affect of the occasional speck of another color and the rusticness of the yarn.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/189/499615077_30c4370474.jpg

Hi Carrie! :waving:

BEAUTIFUL WORK! I have knit a dozen or more sweaters with Celtic or Nordic cabling! Cabling is soooo interesting. I knit a pullover similar to yours...I had to do a double-take...and I used JoSharp DK Silkroad Tweed. It was an eggplant color with the teensy flecks of white, grey, blue and yellow. I love it!

Thanks for sharing the photo of your work!! :muah:

madametj
06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
You forgot #4.........
4. Hide from the rest of the household..........so you don't have to hear "what do you need MORE yarn for?!?"
:roflhard:

oh yeah, #4 is KEY. :mrgreen:

Ingrid
06-20-2007, 08:41 PM
ON SALE is a great motivator, too.

I've done cables with Malabrigo, and they stand out nicely.:shrug: I

Beautiful sweater! I just printed that pattern out--just deciding on the yarn.

Knitting_Guy
06-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I think the key is to select a yarn that isn't too "busy" and doesn't already have it's own pattern built into it.

The Caron Shadows green is working out very well.

brownishcoat
06-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Also, anything that's too dark will make the cables harder to see. Swatching is a good way to figure this out before deciding for sure.

:doh: I can't BELIEVE Ingrid beat me to the "on sale" point! :wall: