PDA

View Full Version : I'm a senior member!

Tamar Dohel
06-18-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm so proud of myself! I only just noticed. When did that happen?

I've always wanted to be more than just a newbie or a member on one of those forum.

But, hey! What does it mean now I'm "senior"?

Thanks Amy and team. :muah:

Tamar

KnittingNat
06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi Tamar! Ma nishma? Senior means you've posted more than 100 posts. Where have you been? I guess your weather is a bit more moist than ours, isn't it :lol:?

Jeremy
06-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Kol ha kavod.:hug:

KnittingNat
06-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Jeremy, lo yadati she ata du-lashoni :cheering: harbe kavod!

Jeremy
06-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Todah rabah. Ani ohev l'halech l' ha aretz. Ani haya sham b'2005 b' choref.

KnittingNat
06-18-2007, 03:51 PM
That's a long time ago... Tavo shuv levaker. We'll have a knitting group over here. Knitters here are hopeless. I asked a question on a knitting forum (and they mostly knit kipot) about a good yarn shop and they gave me the name of the most expensive shop in Jerusalem where the top yarn is acrylic for 7$ a ball. I'm desperate :wall::wall::wall:
Must have knitting group...:zombie:

Arielluria
06-18-2007, 04:19 PM
As one who is learning Hebrew, I just wanted to say how cool it was to see y'all's posts! Not that I know everything you're saying! Just wanted to say Ni how...........no wait, that's Chinese :roflhard:

JK! Shalom y'all!:muah:
Lu

Todah rabah. Ani ohev l'halech l' ha aretz. Ani haya sham b'2005 b' choref.

KnittingNat
06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
As one who is learning Hebrew, I just wanted to say how cool it was to see y'all's posts! Not that I know everything you're saying! Just wanted to say Ni how...........no wait, that's Chinese :roflhard:

JK! Shalom y'all!:muah:
Lu

Shalom! Well, if you need any help - we're here, you can PM if you have a question. How did you come up with Hebrew as a language you want to learn?
I'm off to bed. Layla tov!

Arielluria
06-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, it's a Biblical language........I thought I would like to learn another language and for years had been trying to decide which. Finally I decided I'd love to read the Scriptures in the original - perhaps Greek will be next for me ;)! I'm learning to read & write Hebrew as well.

I find it is a fascinating and relatively easy language for me to learn. NOT that it's eaaaaaaasy at all!

I speak Spanish, Portuguese and some French - the latter 2 are both very guttural, and in that, I guess I have an easier time than most with the guttural nature of Hebrew.

I find it is a beautiful language and DH and I dream of visiting Israel someday!!!!!!!!!!!!! How fortunate you are to live there!

KnittingNat
06-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Well, there's Biblical Hebrew abd there's the everyday one, so it's slightly different. I studied Latin for 3 years and enjoyed it a lot, we read poetry and lots of different things. Greek is the worst. I knew people who studied it and they were in much worse condition than us, Latinists :shock:.

Arielluria
06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks. I realize that, but one has to start somewhere ;) I just want to be able to get around Israel without getting in TOO much trouble! LOL! Besides, I haven't found "Biblical Hebrew" classes.

I'm half kidding about Greek, I'm not sure I will be able to handle all those languages in one mixed up head. LOL!:rollseyes:

Shalom y'all!:muah:

KnittingNat
06-19-2007, 02:31 PM
If you ever get here - let me know, i'll take you for a ride around Jerusalem!

Arielluria
06-19-2007, 03:05 PM
:cheering: Todah!!!!!!!!!!! :teehee:

Tamar Dohel
06-20-2007, 07:39 AM
And I can take you round Netanya! Can I come back with you to the States? Never been to TX but heared plenty of good things and... I loooooooooove horses, yes, more than knitting. Sorry.

Not had time for much lately and I probably won't get a chance to pick up my needles again for another month or so. Had a bit of time to sit on the computer which is a start. I also need to update my avatar. My daughter is now 2 years old.

Keep knitting.

Tamar

Arielluria
06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
:muah:Thanks too! Absolutely, you're welcome to stow away in my luggage :D.........I don't have horses, but if you like dogs, I have 4! You can see them on my Flickr Album (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arielluria). I hope you like humidity, because Houston is downright unbearable most of the time from June to Sept. I met a Korean lady who lived in Saudi Arabia (and have heard from others who lived in Africa) that it is WORSE here than there!

You're both very kind!
:hug:

Tamar Dohel
06-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Can you beat 75% humidity? That's expected here tomorrow. Netanya is by the coast, you see. During the day there is usually a bit of a breeze but at night the air stands and the humidity rises. Washing on the line gets damp when the sun starts to set.

Arielluria
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I couldn't find any actual data on Houston humidity online, but take it from me, it's like walking into a wet sauna every time you go outside, be it 7 a.m. or 9 p.m.!!!!!!!

To quote an article I found in USAToday (http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/askjack/2003-09-03-answers-fla-texas-humidity_x.htm):
But, even though Key West is slightly more humid, on the average in the summer than Houston, you are more likely to feel the humidity more in downtown Houston as you rush from one air-conditioned building to another than if you were sitting outdoors in the breeze next to the water, shaded from the sun, sipping a drink in Key West.That BREEEEEEEZE is the difference! There IS none in the plateau-like area of Houston. As you head towards Austin which is hilly, you start to cool off. If you head towards Galveston which has the ocean breeze you likewise cool off.

I've been here since 1985 and I've lived in S. & Central America (withOUT the luxury of air conditioning) and was fine............I'm STILL complaining about the weather here........but trying not to!
:whistle:

Arielluria
06-27-2007, 09:56 AM
DH reminded me we have a reader in our bathroom that tells humidity. This morning (8 a.m.) it's 88%!!!!!!!!!

Ha! Beat that!
:teehee:

Can you beat 75% humidity? That's expected here tomorrow. Netanya is by the coast, you see. During the day there is usually a bit of a breeze but at night the air stands and the humidity rises. Washing on the line gets damp when the sun starts to set.

brownishcoat
06-27-2007, 10:35 AM
I turned off the AC before I went to bed (trying to keep the power bill down) and I was sweating while putting on my makeup this morning. The ceiling fan was on "High", too.

Arielluria
06-27-2007, 10:50 AM
I keep my A/C on at 79 during the day and 76 at night, AND ceiling fans on at all times. It's fairly comfortable to me. But as soon as I walk outside my makeup melts. LOL!

I've decided just not to try to stay dry and cool in Houston weather. When I go out, it's hair up, spaghetti straps, and no makeup! At least I'm not constantly trying to stay dry. I've given up!

brownishcoat
06-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Well, it's mostly an issue when I'm going to work. ;)

I'm very lucky to be able to wear my casual top, capri jeans and Skechers to work every day!

Tamar Dohel
06-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Thank you for telling me how much you suffer. I have no more complaints from my end, ever.

Are your winters any better? May be I can visit TX during a more comfortable time of year.

Tamar

Arielluria
06-29-2007, 04:04 PM
The funny thing is that the humidity makes it COLDER here too. I know a couple of Canadians (I also lived there, but a long time ago)....who have been in Canada winter recently, as well as a guy who went to visit his brother in Minnesotta last winter.

They all verified my suspicions, the humid cold here just SINKS into your bones. Weather here is best Oct-Nov & Jan-Feb.

It's really NOT as awful as I'm making it seem. DH reminds me that it keeps the tourists from wanting to move here. :roflhard:

Arielluria
07-02-2007, 10:00 AM
I bought DH a shofar for Christmas, it has a cover with a couple of words on it. Can any of you translate for me if I post a pic? :hug:

KnittingNat
07-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Let's give it a try!

Jeremy
07-02-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm sure one of us can. Go ahead

Arielluria
07-03-2007, 01:59 PM
OK, here goes..and thanks......uh........todah!!!!!! ;)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1365/706850351_887c635932.jpg

KnittingNat
07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
It's half a phrase from psalm 81, which you can find everywhere in English and it says approximately the following: "Play the shofar on the month" and the other half of the phrase says "when the new moon (=the beginning of the new month) on the day of our Festival". The Jewish New year is the only holiday to start in the beginning of the moon month, so from this phrase you understand that you ought to play the shofar on New year. HTH and i didn't make more difficult :??